Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4G

Options
  • 09-06-2010 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

I'm all for new Apple products but personally I think it's a bit pointless bringing out the new iPhone 4G in Ireland. We bearly have 3G and even when we have it it's still really slow. I'm an iPhone 3GS user and I love it. I do have my 3G turned on all day but I'm lucky to get it. I dunno, maybe its my location but even if I travel around the country I still bearly get it. Just let Ireland's technoligy get a bit more advanced before we go bringing out things that we can't even use over here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

We can use it, it's 3G. The 4G everyone is talking about refers to the 4th Generation iPhone. Either way, its call the iPhone 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

I was told that 4G was like 3G but different somehow. Some kind of internet thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

StereoLove wrote: »
    I was told that 4G was like 3G but different somehow. Some kind of internet thing.

4g as a communications standard is faster than 3g.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3g

I dont think many areas have 4g even in america.

The iphone pre announcment was often nicknamed the iphone 4g but it is called the iphone 4

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, 4G is a different type of connectivity which gives you (basically) faster speeds over your mobile.

The iPhone 4 has nothing to do with 4G networks, though it's easy to be confused and that's the reason why Apple called it the iPhone 4 and not the iPhone 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

You sound confused. There is the 4th generation mobile networks and then there is the 4th generation iphone. The 4th generation iphone is called the "iphone 4" and it will run on the existing 3rd generation mobile networks. 4th generation mobile networks (LTE most likely being the standard) will only start appearing towards the end of this year, and probably much later in Ireland.

• Advertisement

jester77 wrote: »
    You sound confused. There is the 4th generation mobile networks and then there is the 4th generation iphone. The 4th generation iphone is called the "iphone 4" and it will run on the existing 3rd generation mobile networks. 4th generation mobile networks (LTE most likely being the standard) will only start appearing towards the end of this year, and probably much later in Ireland.
    To be honest, I am confused! I'm not much of a techonally minded person! :P Oh right so it's nothing to do with the internet it's just a better version of the iPhone, if you like. But there is a 4G thing to do with the internet too?

4g as a communications standard is faster than 3g.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3g

I dont think many areas have 4g even in america.

The iphone pre announcment was often nicknamed the iphone 4g but it is called the iphone 4
    Oh.... I probably heard 4G and thought it was to do with the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Op fail!

Haha! Like I said, I'm not a techonally minded person! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

very easy to get confused with it especially since HTC launched the HTC Evo which is a 4g device..(4g is about 10 times faster than 3g networks).

• Advertisement

Yes it is! I just about know how to use an iPhone! No, honestly I'm not THAT bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭w@ll3gurl

Just thinkin Stereolove - were you possibly referring to the video calling option on iphone 4 when you were thinking of network performance?
    i know it works from iphone 4 to iphone 4 only - but i also read somewhere online the other day, that people don't expect the vid calling to be too hot on current networks due to capacity.

And, at the moment it's only available as a function when using WiFI, but the networks apparently just wouldnt be able to handle it and to some extent its the main 'new' feature of iP4.....

So there are a lot of 'conditions' to being able to video call

Someone maybe able to correct me on this though, i could indeed be totally wrong.
    I hadn't had much coffee when i read it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Heliosvector

I dont know why everyone says "THE NETWORKS" wont take it, because the facetalk feature will only work in a wifi area. that means that it will be an entirely broadband based device feature, meaning that the network is not needed other than to initialise the call and then let the actual call stream through the net.
    this feature could very well work on an iphone4 with 3g disabled in my opinion

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I dont know why everyone says "THE NETWORKS" wont take it, because the facetalk feature will only work in a wifi area. that means that it will be an entirely broadband based device feature, meaning that the network is not needed other than to initialise the call and then let the actual call stream through the net.
    this feature could very well work on an iphone4 with 3g disabled in my opinion

It would be miles better if it worked anywhere, i.e. on 3G. The networks don't have the capacity (Or read AT&T for Networks), hence the "Networks won't take it...."

Still, the video calling should work with GPRS, 3G or WiFI.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

The iphone4 looks sweet but so does the HTC EVO 4.

I don't know which I would prefer. I think it would be the HTC as it can act as a access point and has expandable memory via mini sd.

Are imagine not rolling out a 4G network at the moment. Also I read years ago the DigiWeb had the license for 4g on the 088 network.

Mits wrote: »
    The iphone4 looks sweet but so does the HTC EVO 4.

I don't know which I would prefer. I think it would be the HTC as it can act as a access point and has expandable memory via mini sd.

Are imagine not rolling out a 4G network at the moment. Also I read years ago the DigiWeb had the license for 4g on the 088 network.

can a company own a technological standard????

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

can a company own a technological standard????
    Wireless technologies broadcast on various frequencies. In order to keep control over the broadcast spectrum (to avoid frequencies being saturated or used for the wrong purpose), you are required to obtain a broadcasting license from ComReg in order to use broadcast technologies in Ireland.

To broadcast without a license is illegal and is why pirate radio stations get so much hassle. Certain frequencies (e.g. 802.11x devices) are listed as free for public use, but the vast majority are licensed.

http://www.comreg.ie/radio_spectrum/spectrum_management.540.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

AFAIK there are currently no 4G mobile networks in Ireland.

The number '4' in iPhone 4 / iPhone 4G simply refer to this new model as being the 4th iteration in the iPhone line nothing at all to do with the generation of wireless network the device connects to.

The HTC Evo runs on a genuine 4G network in a hand-full of US States where connections speeds are apparently impressive. Everywhere else, it's the same old 3G connections we all know and 'love'.

Graham wrote: »
    AFAIK there are currently no 4G mobile networks in Ireland.

The number '4' in iPhone 4 / iPhone 4G simply refer to this new model as being the 4th iteration in the iPhone line nothing at all to do with the generation of wireless network the device connects to.

The HTC Evo runs on a genuine 4G network in a hand-full of US States where connections speeds are apparently impressive. Everywhere else, it's the same old 3G connections we all know and 'love'.

didnt read the whole thread did ya? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Apologies 120minutes, I know none of my posts will ever surpass:

"Op fail!"
    "didnt read the whole thread did ya?"

"Op fail!"

meow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Still, the video calling should work with GPRS, 3G or WiFI.

Not necessarily.

WiFi is designed for fixed situations, such as at home/work/college where you will typically be stationary. As far as I recall, there is no facility for handing over from one WiFi access point to another (open to correction on this one), so the standard allows for little overhead in delivering data. Which basically means smooth video.

3G is obviously designed for moving around, so the way it handles data is a little different to WiFi. Plus, wireless networks such as 3G tend to be "bursty" in nature - you get a burst of data, then you get none, then you get another and so on. Not always good for video, as you can imagine.

GPRS shuffles around a lot less data than 3G, so I reckon it wouldn't handle video calling well. Add in the "bursty" nature as described above and I reckon you would have 2 frames a second, Jerk-o-Vision(tm). :)

You know what? My N900 can switch to EDGE and can do video calls, I might just give it a go for the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The post-count whoring going on in this thread is unreal.

I would like to suggest the next person to explain the difference between the iPhone4 and 4g is revoked.

As in K-I-L-L-E-D

"Op fail!"

apology accepted!

Advertisement