Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break-in Charlesland Wood

Options
  • 07-11-2010 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

A word of caution regarding security for those in Charlesland and surrounding areas.

Our house was broken into in the early hours of Thursday night/Friday morning. They got in the back door by breaking the handle and pulling the lock barrel out. (Apparently this is quite easy to do on these locks, if you have the right equipment/knowledge. The Garda recommended a bolt type latch in addition to the standard lock to make it more secure. The locksmith didn't have the right one when he called out to replace the locks, but he has ordered one in).

The burglars didn't come upstairs, where myself and my girlfriend were sleeping. It appears that they were after my car - luckily I had left the keys downstairs.

They also took a mobile phone and the contents of my girlfriends handbag. Her purse was found on Saturday morning at an exit off the M50, so they probably weren't local.

The detective said that a house in Delgany was also broken into and car stolen last week. They appear to be part of a gang who steal cars to use in robberies etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

..scumbags, was it a particularly powerfull car, did they get off with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 robbie_d

sorry to hear that,really hope that they get a hold of the gang...i was thinking of getting a bolt latch too.
    u go to a local locksmith?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

My cousin just recently had a break in. The car and a laptop was taken but after losing all my old sentamental stuff in a break-in at least their stuff could be replaced!!

Anyway, just heard their car was found in the south of the country. Some poor women had just bought so my cousin got their car back but the poor women lost her money.

Apparently thats a popular trick now. Also its really easy to open a front door by just sticking your hand in the letter box and pulling the handle. I think if someone really wants to break in they will find a way no matter what you do!! I just hate how other people feel they can just take your stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭eigrod

The burglars didn't come upstairs, where myself and my girlfriend were sleeping. It appears that they were after my car - luckily I had left the keys downstairs.

I'm interested in why you say that, as I've read someone else say something similar before.

You think they'd come right into your bedroom looking for the keys if they couldn't find them downstairs?

I would've thought they'd give up if they couldn't find them downstairs as the risk of them getting caught would be greater if they start meddling in your bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

is your house alarmed? Was it on. Are you mid terrace?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

eigrod wrote: »
    I'm interested in why you say that, as I've read someone else say something similar before.

You think they'd come right into your bedroom looking for the keys if they couldn't find them downstairs?

I would've thought they'd give up if they couldn't find them downstairs as the risk of them getting caught would be greater if they start meddling in your bedroom.

If they want to take your car they will go upstairs to get them or you!

Gardaí and the Police always say that keys should be kept downstairs but not accessible from people fishing for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

But if the keys aren't accessible by those fishing for them, won't they come upstairs then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Rasmus wrote: »
    But if the keys aren't accessible by those fishing for them, won't they come upstairs then?

They won't be 'fishing' anymore if they are actually in your house. If the keys for the car are not downstairs, and they went through the bother to break-in, you don't know if they'll take the chance by going upstairs.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Two Boys

FluffyCat wrote: »
    My cousin just recently had a break in. The car and a laptop was taken but after losing all my old sentamental stuff in a break-in at least their stuff could be replaced!!

Anyway, just heard their car was found in the south of the country. Some poor women had just bought so my cousin got their car back but the poor women lost her money.

Apparently thats a popular trick now. Also its really easy to open a front door by just sticking your hand in the letter box and pulling the handle. I think if someone really wants to break in they will find a way no matter what you do!! I just hate how other people feel they can just take your stuff!

We got the lock changed, so now you need a key to open teh door.
    The system where you just trurned a knob, and that knob was at hip level was really bad I thought. Our 3 year old was opening teh door all teh time.
    As far as I know it was not an expensive thing to do, got teh new lock in Brady's in the Village

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

i work in the glazing and do a break in prevention service with anti break cylinders and the likes. I would not recommend that anyone take their keys to bed at night.
    I had a call out last year in for a breakin, and will relay the story here.
    the car owners wife woke her husband up and said she could hear voices downstairs. he had a high range merc, and took the keys up at night. he got out of bed and went to the stairs and could hear a few voices from the kitchen. as he had some young kids, he thought it better not to have a confrontation with these guys. then he heard the kettle boiling. cheecky feckers you'd think. he called down the stairs. hey, when you're finished your tea, heres the keys, now get out. one of them walked out into the hall, and said; we're not making tea, we were going to wake you up with the water. not how you'd like to meet these slags.
    so be careful. ideally keep them out, but if they're in, try locking the downstairs rooms at night, it will give you the extra time you need to call the garda. there are cost effective additional locks for windows and doors that will increase your chances of keeping them out where they belong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

So did they take the keys and leave?? That is one scary story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I have heard of the boiled kettle one already, except this was on Crimewatch UK and the people woke up to the burglars standing beside their bed with the kettle hovering above them :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

And when he looked at the door the hook was still there.. oooh

Another urban myth comes back around.

Sorry to hear about the break-in... locks on all doors inside and out, alarm on, keys downstairs and phone in the bedroom as everyone says.

urban myth?? what planet are you from.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Most homes in Ireland use the type of lock that is used in Charlesland. This is very easy to get around, for obvious reasons I wont say how this is done, but trust me it is very easy! I have had this demonstrated to me.

There is a simple improvement to this though.
    A far superior lock barrel can be installed without any mess or fuss, see this link:

http://www.upvcwindow-doorparts.co.uk/PRODUCT-1343-MUL-T-LOCK-GARRISON-

This is not impossible to defeat, but it is far harder to get around.

They slot straight in (when the door is open!) and can be bought at almost any locksmiths. BTW I am not a locksmith and I do not sell these either.

Sadly I think that Charlesland has become a target as it has two exits on good roads, high density housing (relative to the area) and has lots of expensive cars. In addition there always seems to be a few alarms going off so everyone tends to ignore them rather than react. I think I would keep my keys downstairs too if I had a car worth stealing.

Sorry to hear about your break in OP!
    I know what it feels like, been there, done that!

Google kettle burglary. Anyway back to the topic.

Google kettle burglary. Anyway back to the topic.
    google me backside. i was changing the guys locks the morning after.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

2011 wrote: »
    I think I would keep my keys downstairs too if I had a car worth stealing.

We had an attempted break-in over a year ago thanks to a car thats top of their list and I'm of the opposite opinion. I'm not gift wrapping something I've spent years working for. Some of these lads do read forums and when they see something like that its almost an invite; Come on take what you want just don't bother me!
    Its not a coincidence that these guys don't rob cars from what everyone would consider rough estates, its because they know they'll have a fight on their hands to get what they want.

Kitser, nice tone and constructive feedback :) 1.5 million hits on 'kitser backside' on Google.

Mullie - excellant points, I commented on a similar topic some months back. There does seem to be a lot of resignation and submission about this. Of course good anti thief prevention is essential but once someone is on my house they are going down by any means. Not suggesting that I am Rambo but we have worked hard for what we have and anyone who wants to nick it is going feel some pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 coolhandd

I am of the same attitude if someone comes into my house it will be a big mistake by them. I have friends who a guy broke into their house. The guy ended up in hospital with multiple breaks and nothing happened to my mates. Someone comes into your home they should expect that it could be the last thing they do. You can't bow down to scum. Most of my mates have their car keys upstairs with them along with a weapon or two. If the danger level for thieves increases they will think twice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I'm not gift wrapping something I've spent years working for. Some of these lads do read forums and when they see something like that its almost an invite; Come on take what you want just don't bother me!
    When I was broken into (I was out at the time) I felt so angry for a long time even though they took very little. From that incident on I decided that I would enhance the security of wherever I call home. With a combination of upgraded locks, sensor lights, alarm and common sense so far it has worked.

This is not America, if you take matters "into your own hands" you will quickly find out that the law is on the side of the intruder. In addition the intruder may be armed with some sort of weapon, high on drugs, and will most probably have the element of surprise on his side. You might also find yourself outnumbered too! Even if you manage to gain the upper hand you may find that they, or their family are intend on getting revenge.

Personally I would me more concerned about the safety of my daughter than my car. Besides that is what insurance is for and if my car was worth stealing I would have a tracker on it. I

However if they were come upstairs where I would then feel that they have crossed a line. That is were my daughter's bedroom is!

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

2011 wrote: »
    This is not America, if you take matters "into your own hands" you will quickly find out that the law is on the side of the intruder.

AFAIK the law regarding that has changed or is due to be changed, to be in favour of the property owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Leave your car keys in the ignition overnight

Last place the thieves would think to look ;)

AFAIK the law regarding that has changed or is due to be changed, to be in favor of the property owner.
    I agree that the recent change in the law improves the situation for the homeowner only slightly. It is more cosmetic than anything else, I did make a few enquires into this.

In many parts of the US you can even shoot an unarmed person if they are breaking into your home and feel confident that you will have no issues under almost any circumstances. In states like Texas they even refer to it as the "make my day law".

However in Ireland things are very different, so "don't try this at home folks" and expect to get away with it. Sadly as is often the case the law is weighted against the victim.

Either way as I said earlier you may win the battle, but loose the war if the friends of the intruder decide to come back in numbers to "teach you a lesson" or vandalize your property. It simply is not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Leave your car keys in the ignition overnight

Last place the thieves would think to look ;)

I knew a bloke back in London who had his Porsche nicked by a pole with a magnet being put through the letter box and lifting his keys off the table in the hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Advocating violence or potentially criminal activity is not permissable on Boards.

This thread has gone way beyond discussing a local break-in.

I'll leave it to the local mods to decide if they wish to take further action.

Closed.

HB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement