Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Options
  • 09-09-2011 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Had the best weekend of my life there this year and definitely going back next year. What bands/artists do you want to see playing 2012? This thread can also be where official announcements are posted.

Wishlist for me in no particular order
    Florence and the Machine
    Daft Punk
    Muse
    Mumford and Sons
    Justice
    Elbow
    Sigur Ros
    Antony and the Johnsons

The list goes on im sure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Aphex Twin (long overdue a visit to the Picnic) - Electric Arena
    The Knife or Fever Ray (Since Lykke Li performed Silent Shout this year and why not, I ask)
    Hawkwind - Any stage
    Gong (for Body & Soul main stage)
    Ozric Tentacles - B & S
    John Foxx (for retro 80s synth act) - Any stage
    Dick Gaughan - B & S
    Iggy Pop & the Stooges (a welcome return would be nice) Main Stage
    Boards of Canada - Little Big tent
    Sacred Spirit - Electric Arena
    Bat for Lashes - Main Stage or Electric Arena
    Bjork - Main Stage
    Venetian Snares - Little Big Tent
    Squarepusher - Little Big Tent
    Autechre - Little Big Tent

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stephen.87

Aphex Twin
    The Knife
    Bjork

Totally agree that would be awesome, although did Aphex Twin not play Forbidden Fruit festival at the start of this summer?

Also would like to add The Yeah Yeah Yeahs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

stephen.87 wrote: »
    Aphex Twin
    The Knife
    Bjork

Totally agree that would be awesome, although did Aphex Twin not play Forbidden Fruit festival at the start of this summer?

Also would like to add The Yeah Yeah Yeahs

He did but Forbidden Fruit aint the Electric Picnic, I cant think of a better festival to suit him down to the ground.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

hmmm...

I can't wait for next year!

Beck (Main stage)
    Beastie Boys (Main stage)
    Hawkwind (any stage)
    Aphex Twin
    Fever Ray or the Knife
    White Hills - great space rock - Little big tent
    TwinKranes - Any stage
    Sonic Youth - Electric Arena
    Henry Rollins - Spoken Word
    Fat Freddy's Drop - Body and Soul
    Asobi Seksu - Any stage
    The Prodigy - Main Stage
    Magnetic Fields - body and soul
    Stevie Wonder - Main stage

Can I buy my ticket already???

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Had the best weekend of my life there this year

You need to get out more...:p

+1 on Hawkwind, Sonic Youth, Aphex Twin & Squarepusher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Super Furry Animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

it's a long shot but I'd love to see a stage/tent specically for Metal

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stephen.87

Me too but I seriously doubt it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

The Smiths, the Stone Roses, Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

The Smiths, the Stone Roses, Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix.

and a pink floyd reunion

although with a line up like that we'd need Carlsberg to sponsor it not Heineken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MeetReality

For next year I would love to see any of the following on the lineup

Aphex Twin
    Amon Tobin
    The Knife
    Nicolas Jaar
    The Field
    Mounth Kimbie
    Portishead
    Massive Attack
    Soap & Skin
    M83
    Bon Iver

and perhaps a return from Paul Kalkbrenner! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Only 356 more sleeps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

stephen.87 wrote: »
    Daft Punk

Would be great. I won't get my hopes up though.

On the EP Facebook & Twitter pages, earlier today they've actually asked who would we like to see next year. Although I doubt the promoters will actually take much notice of the answers.
    Over 1000 comments on the Facebook page already. Had a quick look through the top few and loads of people mentioning Daft Punk. Probably more than any other band.

This year was my 3rd time going & I bought early bird tickets the last two years.
    I got sick of hoping for certain bands to be announced & now just enjoy finding out about artists that I hadn't heard of before. It always ends up being good come September.

If the line-up next year is as good as the last three I'll be happy.

P-Funk All stars would be pretty cool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

My dream headliners at EP would be Prince and Daft Punk.I was lucky enough to see Daft Punk in Marley Park and at Oxegen and they would be more than suitable for Stradbally.Pure legends!

also i agree with the above statement about having a tent just for metal music and have Slayer and RATM headline it.That would be sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

old gregg wrote: »
    it's a long shot but I'd love to see a stage/tent specically for Metal

I'd be there like a shot if they had a Metal stage, and with ticket sales this year being pretty poor it'd make so much sense to have a metal stage, would sell a **** load of tickets (possibly 10,000) to fans who wouldn't normally go

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

aphex twin
    die antwoord
    mc lars
    michael franti
    richard cheese
    chris cunningham
    the horrorpops
    lords of acid
    nenah cherry
    juliette lewis and the licks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'd be there like a shot if they had a Metal stage, and with ticket sales this year being pretty poor it'd make so much sense to have a metal stage, would sell a **** load of tickets (possibly 10,000) to fans who wouldn't normally go

it would dilute the festival too much, jack of all trade fests are prone to failure... stick to boutique

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Noel Gallagher
    Muse
    Snow Patrol
    The Strokes
    Damien Rice
    Mumford & Sons
    Ryan Sheridan
    The Kooks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

karaokeman wrote: »
    Noel Gallagher
    Muse
    Snow Patrol
    The Strokes
    Damien Rice
    Mumford & Sons
    Ryan Sheridan
    The Kooks

All Oxegen acts imo (even if M+S played there in 2010)

• Advertisement

it would dilute the festival too much, jack of all trade fests are prone to failure... stick to boutique

I'd not agree with this. It's a jack of all trades fest in that you can already hear pretty much most genres of music perhaps with the exception of metal though I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll hear some around the place.

I'd accept that metal is one of those genres that folks who don't like it can be quite outspoken in their opposition the the very presence of metal at a festival. I'm reminded of asking one of the folks at artist checkin at Knockanstockan 2 years ago about whether there would be any metal and was promptly told "No because metal is ****". But, there's a large enough metal audience in Ireland who are not being looked after during festival season and who perhaps are not large enough to warrant a metal specific festival of their own. A metal tent at EP might be a means to keep the metal folks happy and add a little more to what's on offer at EP without attempting to turn it into anything more than what it musically already is.

As an aside .... I work specifically in the area of ambient/space/orchestral electronic music and have met countless numbers of similar artists at festivals around Europe and when we're not working on peaceful, beatless music we all listen to metal. Curious one that. Anyway, us spacey types would like some metal at EP, please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

Would love to see at next's years EP:

Low
    Yo La Tengo
    Portishead
    M83
    Fleet Foxes
    Grizzly Bear
    Cloud Control
    The Black Keys
    Mother Mother
    Sloan
    Sonic Youth
    Edan
    Director
    The Radioactive Grandma
    Enemies
    Bon Iver
    Late of the Pier
    Anna Calvi
    Wild Beasts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Infected Mushroom - A live set - I would actually weep with joy if this happened.
    Blackmill
    Feed Me
    Mount Eden
    Flux Pavillion

Don't think so too ? listen to each song ^^^

Also...

Daft Punk
    Justice
    Deadmau5
    Benga
    Skream

old gregg wrote: »
    I'd not agree with this. It's a jack of all trades fest in that you can already hear pretty much most genres of music perhaps with the exception of metal though I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll hear some around the place.

I'd accept that metal is one of those genres that folks who don't like it can be quite outspoken in their opposition the the very presence of metal at a festival. I'm reminded of asking one of the folks at artist checkin at Knockanstockan 2 years ago about whether there would be any metal and was promptly told "No because metal is ****". But, there's a large enough metal audience in Ireland who are not being looked after during festival season and who perhaps are not large enough to warrant a metal specific festival of their own. A metal tent at EP might be a means to keep the metal folks happy and add a little more to what's on offer at EP without attempting to turn it into anything more than what it musically already is.

whilst the festival does play most types of music, it all works, metal would mess the dynamic up. I've been to download in Donnington last few years, whopper gig, metal and serious fun, I cant see the crowds gelling tbh tbh

I'd agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

karaokeman wrote: »
    Noel Gallagher
    Muse
    Snow Patrol
    The Strokes
    Damien Rice
    Mumford & Sons
    Ryan Sheridan
    The Kooks

All Oxegen acts imo (even if M+S played there in 2010)

Suppose, I was never really into EP. Don't really know many of the bands who play every year, barr a few like Arcade Fire.

But if Noel Gallagher doesn't play the o2 by next spring and if he's at EP I will defo be there. Note how I had him up first. Was raging when I couldn't get a ticket for his Olympia gig.

Muse will probably not be playing at Oxegen again as they said their new album will be more suited to smaller venues. So I would say perhaps if not EP, it would be two dates at the o2.

All the rest I wouldn't mind missing but at the same time would preferably see them live than never at all.

whilst the festival does play most types of music, it all works, metal would mess the dynamic up. I've been to download in Donnington last few years, whopper gig, metal and serious fun, I cant see the crowds gelling tbh tbh

how would metal mess the dynamic up?

the atmosphere for metal festivals is hughly different to any other, i work a festivals, all over uk nd download is the only metal one, did bloodstock but its quite small, the crowd, the atmopshere is all vastly different from any of the others, not in a bad way, but i think metal fans take the music more seriously and can see electric picnics crowd clashing with that greatly

I'm sure there are enough people who attend the EP and just happen to also like metal to make it worthwhile having a space for metal. I've performed at techno, psytrance, ambient, festivals around Europe and those genre specific festivals would have a distinct crowd too and I'd not drop a metal stage into any of them. A mixed genre festival that's minus a major genre is missing out a little I think. Maybe some folks might enjoy a half hour head bang before moving on to the main stage. Maybe a tent full of metal fans is not going to interfere with the tent full of techno fans or elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Actually...

I've changed my mind. If they modeled the stage like this I'd be all for it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement