Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Elonex 37" hi_def lcd TV €415

Options
  • 08-11-2008 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

This is a re badged Hannspree TV, I just ordered one, total incl del to Ireland €415
    spec
    A great value LCD TV with a superb HD Ready picture. This TV is ideal for use with Sky or Cable and its fast 8ms response time suits PS3 or Xbox gamers.

Hannspree are renowned for innovative LCD TV design. This 37" HD Ready LCD is one of the best LCD TVs on the market. It has a large viewing angle giving you a perfect image wherever you are sitting. The picture is sharp, the colours are deep and natural, and with a multitude of connections available, this TV is comparable to more expensive brands.

Since Hannsprees parent company is one of the largest LCD manufacturers in the world, they incorporate the latest innovations in audio and video to ensure powerful home theatre sound and crisp, accurate image reproduction.

* Features 37" Widescreen LCD Panel
    * HD Ready
    * 8ms Response Time
    * 1366x768 Screen Resolution
    * 500cd/m2 Brightness
    * 1200:1 Contrast Ratio
    * Supports 720i, 720p, 1080i
    * 176/176 degrees viewing angle
    * Analogue Tuner - No Freeview
    * Remote Control
    * 1000 Page Fastext
    * 2 x 10 watt Integrated Stereo Speakers

Connections
    * 2 x HDMI
    * 1 x Component In
    * 2 x Scart Connection
    * 1 x Composite In
    * 1 x S-Video In
    * 1 x PC/VGA In
    * 1 x Headphones Connection

Wall Mounting
    * Wall Mountable: Yes
    * Spacing: 400 x 200mm
    * See Recommended Accessories for suitable brackets

Other
    * Dimensions (WxHxD) : 941 x 726 x 295
    * Weight : 31.2kg
    * Warranty : 2 Years Collect & Return
    item link
    http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/product.php?product=ELONEX004
    buyer reviews
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-televisions/457400-hannspree-32-hd-ready-lcd-tv.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

The review thread you linked to on AVforums paint this 37" model in a very bad light. It has bad ghosting issues especially with reds and poor picture quality over component when used with 360.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The spec looks very poor, it's big yes, but asides from that it hasn't got much going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

ongarite wrote: »
    The review thread you linked to on AVforums paint this 37" model in a very bad light. It has bad ghosting issues especially with reds and poor picture quality over component when used with 360.
    Quickly reading over the AVforums link again I'm not sure they are actually
    talking about the same model, my mistake perhaps. I never impulse buy & do quite a bit of research before I shell out on these items, I have read many other owner/user reviews on this TV & the majority seem more that happy with the performance, some even state that it's on a par with their main big name brand in many respects...however I'll let you know,..either way for less that €420 for a 37" lcd ;);););)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks for this. Please let us know I'm interested in this. Obviously its not going to be as good as the ones that cost twice as much, but dam that is a lot of tv for the money.

Also, would you be able to find a 32" of the same model for cheaper?

Zascar wrote: »
    Thanks for this. Please let us know I'm interested in this. Obviously its not going to be as good as the ones that cost twice as much, but dam that is a lot of tv for the money.

Also, would you be able to find a 32" of the same model for cheaper?
    here you go,
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131916
    I was going to order this one but they don't except non UK credit cards, they do take paypal so the next day I tried to order it but the price went upto £463 from £299, this happens with ebuyer.com you need to be quick ;):eek::eek: it's now back down to £299 but use paypal if your a member.
    BTW...TV's with built in FREEVIEW DVB-t tuners are useless here in Ireland,..so don't be fooled, they are for use with the UK mpeg2 standard & our standard is to be mpeg4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not sure if it's the same one but Boffer had a 37" Elonex the other day for the same price.

Link

If it is, you would have saved on shipping by buying from Boffer. You would have only paid roughly £308 (£299.99 + £2.99 delivery + £5 non-UK mainland surcharge) - so would have gotten it for €380.

basquille wrote: »
    Not sure if it's the same one but Boffer had a 37" Elonex the other day for the same price.

Link

If it is, you would have saved on shipping by buying from Boffer. You would have only paid roughly £308 (£299.99 + £2.99 delivery + £5 non-UK mainland surcharge) - so would have gotten it for €380.
    you little spoil sport :D
    seriously,..well done,.bargains is what this form is about after all ;)
    is boffer like ibood ? offers valid for 24hrs only ?

Yeah, Boffer is like iBOOD.. one product per day. Apart from when they have a "sell-off" where they keep selling a product until it sells out and replaces it with another product - this normally lasts 2 - 3 days.

There's a massive thread dedicated to them here.

They're a sister site of BigPockets so odds are a good portion of what's on BigPockets will appear on Boffer at one stage or another, but typically cheaper and / or with less of a shipping charge.

Also Boffer have given the Santa Strike Force a generous contribution will be giving some exclusive offers to Boards.ie users in the coming weeks - details here.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

lensman wrote: »
    BTW...TV's with built in FREEVIEW DVB-t tuners are useless here in Ireland,..so don't be fooled, they are for use with the UK mpeg2 standard & our standard is to be mpeg4.

Slightly off topic, reply by p message if necessary...

Does this apply if you have access to a UK address?? I appreciate that it might not work with a 'local' freeview type service (if it ever materialises...:))
    but can you get UK freeview over astra if you have a UK box/card?

Thanks, Barry

BarryM wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, reply by p message if necessary...

Does this apply if you have access to a UK address?? I appreciate that it might not work with a 'local' freeview type service (if it ever materialises...:))
    but can you get UK freeview over astra if you have a UK box/card?

Thanks, Barry
    Barry, I think your mixing up the two different digital tv services available in the uk,the UK Freeview service is a terrestrial digital TV service which can be picked up using a set top antenna or roof top aerial, this is different from the UK "Freesat" digital service for which you need a freesat reciever & satellite dish, a lot of new lcd/plasma TV for sale in the UK come with a built in Freeview tuner which is of no use to us here in Ireland although some folk along the east coast can pick it up, the "Freesat" service can be picked up in Ireland if you have the receiver & dish, I don't think a card is needed & some channels broadcast in HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Thanks for the link interesting web site. Some cheap hardware stuff: http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/cat.php?search=PC+Hardware&nav=3 Pity there's the usual rip off minimum delivery charge to Ireland; delivery to Ireland is £12.76 plus VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Oracle wrote: »
    Thanks for the link interesting web site. Some cheap hardware stuff: http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/cat.php?search=PC+Hardware&nav=3 Pity there's the usual rip off minimum delivery charge to Ireland; delivery to Ireland is £12.76 plus VAT.

Just looking at the laptops on that site, it says only available to UK but when I filled in the details everything seemed ok. Most seem to be used/refurbished. Has anyone ever bought such from them and how did they get on

lindtee wrote: »
    Just looking at the laptops on that site, it says only available to UK but when I filled in the details everything seemed ok. Most seem to be used/refurbished. Has anyone ever bought such from them and how did they get on

I've seen those (lappys) & the UK only delivery statement, they would be handy for the kids, youtube, facebook ect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Will this TV work with NTL Basic connection ?

Random wrote: »
    Will this TV work with NTL Basic connection ?
    yes it will, but take note that I my experience basic analogue (non digital) channels look crap on large screen lcd/plasma tv's, these tv's are best used with digital channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

yes it will, but take note that I my experience basic analogue (non digital) channels look crap on large screen lcd/plasma tv's, these tv's are best used with digital channels.
    Yah this seems to be the general consensus I'm getting also. I guess digital will be my next purchase!

Anyways, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

Oracle wrote: »

i found that out, but items are delivered by curiour

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

basquille wrote: »

Link

Hi I was thinking of buying a 32" TV but am confused by all the info that comes with them. I was interested in a Sony lcd tv KD L 4000 on sale in Soundstore for €629 until Monday evening. Now they had a KD L 4500 for €899 for a 32" which includes "picture frame" but this seemed pricy so I asked the salesman whats the difference. He said the 4500 had a built in didigital receiver and I would not have to buy a set top box when Ireland rolled out Digital tv in 2009 and that I would also be able to get the 4 new channels with out an airial. I am using an old Ntl (Chorus) line into my house which is analogue and salesman said this would disappear in 2012. Should I hold off buyiing the 4000 and wait for more tvs with built in digital stuff. I am not really in need of a new tv but would like to have one

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi I was thinking of buying a 32" TV but am confused by all the info that comes with them. I was interested in a Sony lcd tv KD L 4000 on sale in Soundstore for €629 until Monday evening. Now they had a KD L 4500 for €899 for a 32" which includes "picture frame" but this seemed pricy so I asked the salesman whats the difference. He said the 4500 had a built in didigital receiver and I would not have to buy a set top box when Ireland rolled out Digital tv in 2009 and that I would also be able to get the 4 new channels with out an airial. I am using an old Ntl (Chorus) line into my house which is analogue and salesman said this would disappear in 2012. Should I hold off buyiing the 4000 and wait for more tvs with built in digital stuff. I am not really in need of a new tv but would like to have one

Unless it's a TV with built in mpeg4 then it's no good for here.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Unless it's a TV with built in mpeg4 then it's no good for here.
    :confused: So those that mean no matter what tv I buy I will still have to add another box or something to get HD .??? Are there tvs with mpeg 4 available?? I want a tv that wont be out of date in a few years

• Advertisement

I asked the salesman whats the difference. He said the 4500 had a built in didigital receiver and I would not have to buy a set top box when Ireland rolled out Digital tv in 2009 and that I would also be able to get the 4 new channels with out an airial.
    we have drifted off topic quite a bit here but just to stop folk from being fed bull**** by sales guys this is the situation,..the UK have adopted the mpeg2 standard as their digital format in both terrestrial & satellite TV, we on the other hand have gone for the higher quality option mpeg4 for the Irish DTT, mpeg4 DVB-T boxes are very rare at the moment as very few country's have adopted that format for their digital tv transmissions, we for once are ahead of most of the EU with this, good news in the long run. see here
    http://www.dvb.org/about_dvb/dvb_worldwide/ireland/index.xml
    Consumers warned that TV’s are not Digital Ready
    The recent trials of DTT services in Ireland are thought to be confusing buyers into purchasing equipment unsuitable to receive official DTT services. The current trials are taking place using the MPEG-2 digital compression standard used in the United Kingdom and not the newer MPEG-4, H.264 standard that is to be used in Ireland. Consumers that have already purchased “Digital Ready” equipments to view the trial services will have a shock on the 31st July when their pictures go blank as the trial also switches to MPEG-4.
    Broadcast enthusiast Brian Greene made the situation clear when he said that “it’s important that organisations ranging from the Department of Communication, Energy and natural Resources to BCI, RTE and various consumer bodies should be warning customers not to buy products in the mistaken belief they are optimised for DTT just because they say “Digital Ready””.
    ”The state should warn retailers not to sell pig in a poke TV sets. If the set is not going to be Digital Ready (MPEG-4) then stickers should be removed and shoppers should be warned that UK digital sets will not work here,” Greene warned.
    Source: SiliconRepublic
    Item added: 15th July 2008

Hi thanks looked into the site on dvb and it seems things are moving along but I still do not know what kind of a tv i should buy or would I be better off waitiing until there are tvs with mpeg 4 in them (i noticed the word "boxer" on the side of some tvs does this mean anything. ??:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hi thanks looked into the site on dvb and it seems things are moving along but I still do not know what kind of a tv i should buy or would I be better off waitiing until there are tvs with mpeg 4 in them (i noticed the word "boxer" on the side of some tvs does this mean anything. ??:confused:
    You could be waiting a while for tvs to come out that are compatible with the mpeg4 standard we'll be using. Just buy the tv now and a set top box later.

Ok but I already have a lidl box, a dvd player and a vcr connected to the tv. another one to the pile. Will i be able to connect that set top box to a hdmi socket, as the scarts are full as well as a connection on the side for the dvd ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭blobert

Did this arrive yet?

I'm thinking of getting one for 1 a 72 year old aunt, don't think its' worth her shelling out for 1080p when her eyesight is pretty poor:)

I actually bought the Hannspree 37" (not sure if it was this exact one) about 6 months ago. In the end I wasn't happy with it as my main tv (some ghosting and not good for fast moving stuff) and sold it to get a Samsung plasma but for about €400 it seems a great deal.

The other option is I have access to a 20% discount on Tesco till this Saturday, I had a look in Jervis today and their TV were rubbish, perhaps they have better ones on offer in bigger stores?

Let me know how you get on.
    Thanks

blobert wrote: »
    Did this arrive yet?

I'm thinking of getting one for 1 a 72 year old aunt, don't think its' worth her shelling out for 1080p when her eyesight is pretty poor:)

I actually bought the Hannspree 37" (not sure if it was this exact one) about 6 months ago. In the end I wasn't happy with it as my main tv (some ghosting and not good for fast moving stuff) and sold it to get a Samsung plasma but for about €400 it seems a great deal.

The other option is I have access to a 20% discount on Tesco till this Saturday, I had a look in Jervis today and their TV were rubbish, perhaps they have better ones on offer in bigger stores?

Let me know how you get on.
    Thanks
    got a delivery delayed email today, should have it end of next week,
    just to add that my main TV is a Viewpia 37", I bought it nearly 2yrs ago in D.I.D a paddy's day special @ €759 + 3ys cover for €50 extra, it too was half the price of the big names on display that day & the picture was as good AFAIK whilst watching a rugby game, a lot of folk don't get the most from the cheaper brands due to using poor connection options, HDMI apart the quality of my picture is excellent if I use YPbPr component but not as good when scart is used.

you could also take a look at this ebay seller, I have bought stuff from them in the past mainly mp3's, earphones & even a brand new twin baby buggy for €20:D,..a lot of their stuff is refurbished & some new but all come with warranty, but take note some of the polaroid tv's have 1 digital ATSC, + 1 analog NTSC tuners & these are the US Tv standard & won't pick up our PAL transmissions, they are ok if you connect your STB,dvd or games box

*UPDATE* right folks, I got the Elonex 37" LCD TV today, as yet I just had time to get the kids to connect up the xbox using the Y Pr Pb or Y Cr Cb connection, the TV automatialy detected this & adjusted the screen res to 420p, the kids played
    gears of war 2 & the detail, color & responce were top class, no sign of movment blur or color bleading what so ever,...overall very happy with the €412 total cost incl delivery from the UK, included in the box was user manual, power cable, vga(monitor) cable, remote & batts.

Sounds good lensman.

Cheers for the feedback.

• Advertisement

SOLD OUT

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement