Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Mountain Plod - 18th July.

Options
  • 13-05-2010 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭

This event is co-organised by the Dublin Mountains Initiative and IMRA. Essentially a half marathon from Marley Park up into the hills, around and back. c 820m of climb so it'll be a nice test.

Further details here: http://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/804/ and
    also on www.dmp.ie

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 16 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    93%
    Nem_egeldSlogger JoggerSharkTalenerraw1111rovers_runnerDonny5earlyeveningMullaghteelingerard65Cool Runningn-dawgsmmoore79ofthelordFortrath 15 votes
    3 stars (average)
    6%
    My2Cents 1 vote
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

4 stars (good)
    Wow, I decided against the Wednesday league this year as it mean't sacrificing a lot of road time.

This however is perfect to prepare for the Warriors Run in August.

Some route alright......

Dublin%20Mountain%20Plod%20v1.jpg

820m of climbing also means 820m of decent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Event requires preregistration. I've signed up already. :)
    Exactly my kind of race, thought the first few and last few miles are on the road, so could be an argument for road shoes. Will have to do a recce soon.

Anybody have a tracklog for this?
    It could be a good run for me this Saturday, but would need to follow a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭thepassanger

im hoping to do this event aswell, do you know when the closing date is for registration as i am unsure at the moment if i will be in the country for the 18th july? was at prince williams seat run a week ago and when this was mentioned my head said "wow perfect, just the thing to kill you". sounds like a great race

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Event requires preregistration. I've signed up already. :)
    Exactly my kind of race, thought the first few and last few miles are on the road, so could be an argument for road shoes. Will have to do a recce soon.

Yeah I'd definitely go with the road shoes. The off-road sections are all forest road/trail.

• Advertisement

Here's a rough sketch of the elevation profile:

Plod_Elevation.jpg

No doubt that the route I plotted is entirely wrong (I used OSM and guesswork!), so this is just a guideline. Mapmyrun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

4 stars (good)
    This looks like a great run. Would it be OK for a mountain running 'virgin'?

I wouldn't know the route as well as others, but it's described on the IMRA site as waymarked (but it would probably make sense to know where you're going (do some sort of a 'recce beforehand))). There's a couple of tough climbs but otherwise it should be pretty accessible. Two water stations along the route too, which is nice.

If my elevation profile is approximately correct, the hard work will be done by around mile 9, so you should have a comfortable enough return to the finish line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

gerard65 wrote: »
    This looks like a great run. Would it be OK for a mountain running 'virgin'?

Perfect. Those trails and mild ascents would caress you gently, slowly, with understanding; you'll soon become hooked on the experience.

Plenty of time after for the rougher stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I wouldn't know the route as well as others, but it's described on the IMRA site as waymarked (but it would probably make sense to know where you're going (do some sort of a 'recce beforehand))).

There are the yellow wicklow way/dublin mountain way signs but I definitely wouldn't rely on them. The WW ones and the DMW ones overlap and the DMW ones are quite ambiguous in places. As far as I know though, the event is pitched at less experienced mountain runners so there should be plenty of marshalls out on the course and marking on the ambiguous sections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Antigrav

Funny that. Just asked the mods yesterday if it was OK to put up event info, and up pops this post :D

I'm race director for this event, so feel free to ask questions here.

This route will be fully marked. Hopefully with natty purpose printed fingerboards. If not, then with the usual boundary tape. Depends on numbers.

I suggest running into the hills a few times before attempting this course. As mentioned there's a fair abount of climb/descent involved. All the way from Marlay to Cruagh is up, up, up. You then lose a fair bit, and begin climbing again. Anyone who did Tibradden yesterday will understand ;)

This route has ben chosen for good trails, good views, and good slog.

Hope you enjoy it. Get registered as we will likely cut off at 300 runners.

4 stars (good)
    Perfect. Those trails and mild ascents would caress you gently, slowly, with understanding; you'll soon become hooked on the experience.

Plenty of time after for the rougher stuff.
    How could I refuse that:D
    Its the day after the 'Irish Runner 5 Mile' in the park but I've wanted to do this type of race so I think I'll give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Myself and woddle accidently did about half this course today. It is very steep up Cruagh but manageable. I am not sure it would be a good PB course though ;):D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

How could I refuse that:D
    Its the day after the 'Irish Runner 5 Mile' in the park but I've wanted to do this type of race so I think I'll give it a go.

I'm doing it instead of the 5 mile too.

Not sure I'd agree about the caressing though, anyone who hasn't done a fair bit of hill running or IMRA runs would be in for a shock, both with the amount of uphill and the amount of downhill. It's a nice route, pretty runnable but also pretty tough.

It's basically a 6 mile uphill run, a miles down, a couple of miles back up, then 3 miles straight downhill. Unless the weather is really bad I'd say it's a road shoe race for sure.

Krustys elevation looks right, but imo the vertical scaling makes it look a little easier than it actually is for those of us who don't like the hills too much.

Does anyone know is the entry to Masseys from Cruagh Lane pretty clear? Otherwise the route is easy enough to reccee as it's pretty straightforward.

I'll run it for the enjoyment, but it'll take a lot of holding back in first few miles to make it to the end comfortably.

The entrance to Massy's from Cruagh Lane is obvious. Just watch you take the fork to the right 100m up the lane. The entrance is basically at the end of this fork.

Follow the old military road up through Massy's and keep left at the picnic area. After the second bridge the trail curves around to the right and goes up the fenceline. This section can get a bit mucky, but is dry at the moment.

Coming out the top of Massy's you cross the road and follow Dublin Mountain Way markers. These should bring you all the way to Wicklow Way. Easy from there!

Antigrav wrote: »
    The entrance to Massy's from Cruagh Lane is obvious. Just watch you take the fork to the right 100m up the lane. The entrance is basically at the end of this fork.

Follow the old military road up through Massy's and keep left at the picnic area. After the second bridge the trail curves around to the right and goes up the fenceline. This section can get a bit mucky, but is dry at the moment.

Coming out the top of Massy's you cross the road and follow Dublin Mountain Way markers. These should bring you all the way to Wicklow Way. Easy from there!

thanks for that, it's a great idea, looking forward too it. Obviously would prefer a bit less road, but can't see how you can get a good start point much closer to the mountains and still make it a loop with much less road.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

4 stars (good)
    After missing the Wicklow Trail through injury and going to miss the WW Relay through badly planned hols I have enterd for this and am really looking forward to it.

Ordinary road runners should do as besides the road a lot of the trails (but not all) are fire road and quite runable.

It's not to be underestimated though as the first six miles or so will be tough. The latter half is mainly but not all downhill. A lot of the route goes through my training territory so I hope I can make use of local knowledge.;)

If Antigrav says that registration will close at 300 then don't delay. I reckon a lot of the IMRA folk will be interested in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

4 stars (good)
    I saw this advertised on the IMRA site last weekend and hoped a thread would appear here at some stage. :D
    Ive never ran an IMRA race before, but I have run most of this route a number of times. Its only the stretch through Masseys that Im unfamiliar with at the moment.
    I also noticed it was the same weekend as the 5 mile in the Phoenix Park but this would be more my cup of tea.:cool:
    Ive registered for the race with the 25euro new member option, but I assume I also have to fill in the IMRA membership form, and bring it along on race day, as instructed on the IMRA site?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

4 stars (good)
    Ive registered for the race with the 25euro new member option, but I assume I also have to fill in the IMRA membership form, and bring it along on race day, as instructed on the IMRA site?
    Hi Mullaghteelin

I was looking to register myself could not find it on the IMRA site can you post link.

Thanks

4 stars (good)
    SharkTale wrote: »
    Hi Mullaghteelin

I was looking to register myself could not find it on the IMRA site can you post link.

Thanks
    I entered from here: www.dmp.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

4 stars (good)
    I entered from here: www.dmp.ie

Thanks Gerard65

Registration for the event is here

Event info is on the IMRA website

We should have an updated map up by next week, with course profile.

Did a 'recce of the route today (what can I say, I'm eager), but hiked the route with a few friends instead of running it. We took a wrong turn in Massey's Wood, and ended up on the road too early, but otherwise followed it perfectly.

Fantastic views, great scenery, but it's going to be tough. 1,100 feet gain over 5 miles, a drop and re-climb of 500 feet and a tough fire/tarmac road descent for the last 3/4 miles. Can't wait. :)

Route (one wrong turn, and skipped Marlay Park).

4 stars (good)
    Did a 'recce of the route today (what can I say, I'm eager), but hiked the route with a few friends instead of running it. We took a wrong turn in Massey's Wood, and ended up on the road too early, but otherwise followed it perfectly.

Fantastic views, great scenery, but it's going to be tough. 1,100 feet gain over 5 miles, a drop and re-climb of 500 feet and a tough fire/tarmac road descent for the last 3/4 miles. Can't wait. :)

Whats your thoughts on footware? Road or trial shoes?

did a small recce of a section yesterday also. Starting to wonder was it a good idea entering! In serious doubts about whether I can actually run it all, although it's mostly a runnable gradient, 1000 foot up is 1000 foot up. I reckon I can probably take it really slow and run the first 5 miles, but after the downhill bit, the run back up tibradden is a right kick in the teeth!

Not that it matters, I've always had to walk sections of the IMRA runs.

Very motivating to get you working hard between now and then though!
    Whats your thoughts on footware? Road or trial shoes?

I'm thinking road for the cushioning still, but will have to pick the right ones, mine have quite soft soles and could feel the rocks quite badly through them.

Road shoe all the way. They'll probably get a little muddy, but it's mostly road + light gravel + forest + fire road. You'd get away with a pair of very road-biased trails shoes, but unless the weather is very crappy, I'll be going with normal runners.

copacetic wrote: »
    I reckon I can probably take it really slow and run the first 5 miles, but after the downhill bit, the run back up tibradden is a right kick in the teeth!
    I didn't think the Tibradden climb was too bad (at least you get a nice downhill break before the climb), but I reckon the climb towards three rock after coming down off Tibradden will be tough, just from sheer tiredness. And the tarmac road downhill from Kilmashogue is going to be a killer on the quads. Quite easy to go wrong in a few spots (if you weren't carrying a map), such as Massey's, and the inital climb up Tibradden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭tempo

Id love to run this route if a few people are up for it?
    maybe organise some Sunday???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

tempo wrote: »

Definitely, some were talking about it today for next weekend. But yeah, even a weekend in June would be good.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    tempo wrote: »
    A couple of us are doing part of this next thurs afternoon, but I'd be on for the full route some sun before the race.

Advertisement