Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phil Hogan gives Galway City even more councillors

Options
  • 19-10-2012 9:23am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Despite all the talk of cutting back on county councillors Galway City council will get even MORE of them in 2014. The numbers will rise from the current 12 or 15 up to 18 I think.

Even more fly swatting and ignoring opportunities for the officials.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/28364-major-change-electoral-areas-city-pipeline

I don't often agree with M. Crowe but he was pretty spot on when he said.
    Fianna Fail’s Cllr Mike Crowe said that by increasing the number in the chamber, it means that less work would get done.

“Fifteen councillors is more than sufficient, but it really should have been cut down to eight or nine and make them full-time politicians with additional responsibilities and have them more answerable to the people of the city,” Cllr Crowe sai

It will be fun after 2014, whatever about democratic. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Despite all the talk of cutting back on county councillors Galway City council will get even MORE of them in 2014. The numbers will rise from the current 12 or 15 up to 18 I think.
    Yes no's going up for the City Council from 15 to 18
    Sitting Cllr's (i.e those hoping to run in the next election) will be delighted with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Also agree with what Cllr Mike Crowe says in that article. No's should be cut and make them full time Cllr's. Then would have real oversight of the bureaucrats in City Hall and also would help to stop people using TD's for issue's that should be dealt with locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I have no idea what the rationale is for the increase in elected reps.

Are 18 Councillors going to have more influence and impact than 15? I very much doubt it.

Nobody is in charge in City Hall, nobody is accountable and nobody can get anything much done unless the officials in their separate fiefdoms condescend or decree as they see fit.

The mayor is a useless figurehead (the office, that is, not the incumbent) and from this remove it looks as if the City Manager hasn't much power, or responsibility, either.

That said, maybe another three seats will provide scope for the election of, er, a non-traditional candidate or two?

And now that I think of it, where will an extra three Councillors sit? The chamber can be a bit of a squeeze already, IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

18???? That's madness. Whatever hope there is of getting 10 or so reasonable councillors who can have a discussion and make decisions without losing the plot, there is no chance of finding 18! Just more Padraig Conneely types roaring and shouting, wonderful.

Advertisement