Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Weather Woman

Options
  • 16-09-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

Who is the new Weather Woman on RTE? I have to say she's useless.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

She is noticeably bland but that is understandable when you start off and don't want to get sacked. Is she a Meteorologist from Met Eireann or a hire in ??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Siobhan Ryan.she does alot of work on the radio forecasts on Radio 1.She will improve in time.remember Gerry Murphy when he started!! Shes Met Eireann Spong Bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

ahhh give her time lads. she's a newbie. learning the ropes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

200motels wrote: »
    Who is the new Weather Woman on RTE? I have to say she's useless.

A bit harsh.. Give the girl a chance. Rem jean byrne when she started..gasping for air the whole time:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

yes, remember jean when her saliva build up issues were uncontrollable in the early days. Barely one or two gulps nowadays

speaking of weather readers, i nearly threw the remote at the TV yesterday when the 3e weatherman started his bulletin off with 'Hey Guys'.

• Advertisement

"i nearly threw the remote at the TV yesterday when the 3e weatherman started his bulletin off with 'Hey Guys". Agreed.wot a wolly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

She used the word "however" at least 7 times, ground hog day came back to me :D and that was weather related too.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Shes not a natural yet anyways, she is putting too much effort into her expressions and the way she talks overall.
    She will improve in time.remember Gerry Murphy when he started!! .
    Thats not very encouraging ,I still havent warmed to him! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Bit harsh.

Naturally she is going to be nervous appearing live on TV.

As she becomes more relaxed, her performance will improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,891 ✭✭✭pauldry

You are all being very harsh to Siobhan. She is only starting off doing a job I dream about. I admire all of the forecasters, even Gerry, for they convey a message of weatherdom to us all. Only Forecaster I am not greatly fond of is Cowengate "Going forward there are 3 BILLION capital cuts" Hoarse cough with a hint of Carlsberg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

god looks like she stright out of stage school or someting with the hand &facial expressions,but good luck to her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

delw wrote: »
    god looks like she stright out of stage school or someting with the hand &facial expressions,but good luck to her

Yes, its like as if they just recorded her training roughs and broadcast that.

And its not like its live, someone made a decision that this was good enough, they do several takes, as we all know, no one knows which one or combination will get used.

I'd say it's more a reflection on who passed this for broadcast, the presenter seems more than capable IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

delw wrote: »
    the hand &facial expressions
    kind of like leo from fair city doing the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    kind of like leo from fair city doing the weather

Class...:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

in fairness she has been on a couple of time's this week in the afternoon and she was a lot more relaxed last night than the other couple of times i saw her,same as any new job eager to please and scared sh###ess of making a mess of it,she's a looker and will be fine given a break.

hope she doesn't read this forum her nerves will be shot to bit's ffs......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jean Byrne was terrible when she began, now she is an icon of weathercasting!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

mike65 wrote: »
    Jean Byrne was terrible when she began, now she is an icon of weathercasting!

Agreed - I think she'll give Jean a run for her money! ;) A lot more pleasant to look at than Gerry Murphy. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A few spangly dresses might help! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

My brother hates Gerry with a passion,its funny:).I dont think he's too bad.As has been said please give her some time lad's,she'll settle in and be grand,i dont think she's all that bad either.A few of the newer BBC weather forecaster's are alot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭Speak Now

She's all hands at the moment but IMO she did a very good job for a newbie. Very easy on the eye as well. Time will tell if she's a ramper (Eagle) or a dampner (Murphy).

RTE haven't added her yet.

http://www.rte.ie/weather/presenters/pres_index.html

Anyone know the name of the guy that did the 7.55 broadcast on radio 1 this morning. I'd swear it was Padraig Harrington :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

She will get better with time I am sure unless she is gerry murphy part 2 ( i really hate that guy, if he says shhhleeeet one more time I swear i'll ,......):D

But why the foc do they do the weather live anyway. Just record it 20 minutes earlier, nothing wwill have changed and they can cut out the mistakes and be less nervous. It makes 0% sense to have the weather live imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

She's all hands at the moment but IMO she did a very good job for a newbie. Very easy on the eye as well. Time will tell if she's a ramper (Eagle) or a dampner (Murphy).

RTE haven't added her yet.

http://www.rte.ie/weather/presenters/pres_index.html

Anyone know the name of the guy that did the 7.55 broadcast on radio 1 this morning. I'd swear it was Padraig Harrington :D

Is Gerald Flemming gone? He isnt in that list for the weather team (i also have never seen paul connolly or helen curran before)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

She will do and is doing a great job. We just have to encourage her to use the words "SNOW" "WINDCHILL" BLIZZARD" AND "MINUS 10".........as often as she can this winter..............:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Kippure wrote: »
    We just have to encourage her to use the words "SNOW" "WINDCHILL" BLIZZARD" AND "MINUS 10".........as often as she can this winter..............:)

When giving the forecast for continental Europe.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

She looks happier on the (short) 6 1 news segment , yesterday she gave us this perfectly all right effort .....jump to 47 mins once it starts. She is not a wet week on d'telly yet.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1080562

Expecting instant Jean Byrne levels of Zeitgeist/Outfit <> Forecast => <= Zen is a bit much. :cool:

Dan Corbett over on the BBC is the man!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Is Gerald Flemming gone? He isnt in that list for the weather team (i also have never seen paul connolly or helen curran before)

I think he became some sort of boss in met eireann. You'd miss his soft tonal style:

not to mention the iconic ;)

As long as we dont see Gerry Murphy or the Eagle doing this one.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWJNTA6wsWc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Lu Tze wrote: »

Gerry is now head of the General Forecasting Division in Met Éireann. Often seen giving insight on the news during spells of extreme weather but doesn't present anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Good luck to Siobhan in her new role. I have no doubt that over time she will be an excellent presenter of the weather :)

Derekon

Advertisement