Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubic sector reform. Finally.

Options
  • 08-03-2011 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/0308/1224291591888.html

With the finance portfolio being split into two component parts, it is expected that Fine Gael’s Michael Noonan will become minister for finance and Labour’s Joan Burton will become the minister with responsibility for expenditure and pubic sector reform.

STEPHEN COLLINS and HARRY McGEE

Legends.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Whats the betting they'll make a balls of it! :D

(couldn't resist)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭scico rocks

mathie wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/0308/1224291591888.html

With the finance portfolio being split into two component parts, it is expected that Fine Gael’s Michael Noonan will become minister for finance and Labour’s Joan Burton will become the minister with responsibility for expenditure and pubic sector reform.

STEPHEN COLLINS and HARRY McGEE

Legends.

Hopefully changes - and i mean big changes - will happen to get rid of the waste that is the public sector. Seriously overstaffed, lack of hard work, every kind of ridiculous perk ie. term time, taking the whole summer off etc will finally be a thing of the past..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

Not a bad idea if Joan Burton wasn't going to be in charge of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

pubic sector reform.

HARRY McGEE

<chuckle>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

token56 wrote: »
    Just the thought of her horrible whiny voice babbling on about reform is making me feel nauseous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

labour in charge of public sector.....unions will be running the country now...

Hopefully changes - and i mean big changes - will happen to get rid of the waste that is the public sector. Seriously overstaffed, lack of hard work, every kind of ridiculous perk ie. term time, taking the whole summer off etc will finally be a thing of the past..........

Right I'm going to point this out before it descends in to just out and out public sector bashing. (And possibly trolling). And no, I'm not 'in' it. But it's just something I've come to notice............

It's like any other job. You're going to get the wasters that will sit on their holes and think they can still get away with doing the absolute minimum, but then you get the ones that are breaking their backs and who realise that they are lucky to have a job, etc etc. Enrolling in loads of courses to get ahead and just being the backbone of the place.

If it comes to it I do hope the wasters get a good kick up the ar$e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

chin_grin wrote: »
    Right I'm going to point this out before it descends in to just out and out public sector bashing. (And possibly trolling). And no, I'm not 'in' it. But it's just something I've come to notice............

It's like any other job. You're going to get the wasters that will sit on their holes and think they can still get away with doing the absolute minimum, but then you get the ones that are breaking their backs and who realise that they are lucky to have a job, etc etc. Enrolling in loads of courses to get ahead and just being the backbone of the place.

BizzyC wrote: »
    Just the thought of her horrible whiny voice babbling on about reform is making me feel nauseous.
    token56 wrote: »

FFS.

Repeat after me.

Pubic.
    Pubic.
    Pubic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Moan Burton! Jesus, imagine having to live with her:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Shaved or Brazilian?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

FFS.

Repeat after me.

Pubic.
    Pubic.
    Pubic.

They cocked-up. Didn't see what was sticking out!

Cant see that happening though as the unions have too much power in the Public Sector and wont allow the useless ones to be booted out. It will be a long long drawn out thing over years with plenty of strikes and work to rule on so on.

If they worked in the Private sector and their employers are not doing too well they get let go. Their employer is the government and its doing really badly so they have to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

How do you figure that one out? She's won't be the only minister in charge of a part of the public sector.

FFS.

Repeat after me.

Pubic.
    Pubic.
    Pubic.

OHHHHHHHHHHH!

<facepalms>

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Joan Burton will become the minister with responsibility for expenditure and pubic sector reform.

Jayus, that's some mental image you've left us with.

Wonder how'll she reform it, she'll probably just trim a little from the top and leave the rest of it out of control just like it is now. Can't imagine she would have the guts to go gung ho and rip it to the core!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Labour in charge of public sector reform, awesome.

Cant see that happening though as the unions have too much power in the Public Sector and wont allow the useless ones to be booted out. It will be a long long drawn out thing over years with plenty of strikes and work to rule on so on.

If they worked in the Private sector and their employers are not doing too well they get let go. Their employer is the government and its doing really badly so they have to go.

I cant see how having a strong union is a problem. As long as they are doing their job then unions are here to stay whether people like it or not.

Without them thw whole of Ireland will become Ryanairland.

Dave! wrote: »
    Labour in charge of public sector reform, awesome.

Is that because FF did such a stunning job f*cking it up in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

whats new in that , they are as least as culpable as the banks , dev , ff for the mess

orourkeda wrote: »
    I cant see how having a strong union is a problem. As long as they are doing their job then unions are here to stay whether people like it or not.

Say what ya like about Ryanair but they are an efficiently run company and very solvent. The Irish state on the other hand are the complete opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

Hopefully changes - and i mean big changes - will happen to get rid of the waste that is the public sector. Seriously overstaffed, lack of hard work, every kind of ridiculous perk ie. term time, taking the whole summer off etc will finally be a thing of the past..........[/Q

I hope the sort out the wasters in the banks..A bonus for screwing the country..;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Reminded me of a blog for one of the Dublin NE candidates, with the following headline:

Government getting closer to selling our pubic forests!

I guess he'll be glad that Labour are taking up his interest in modern Irish grooming habits!

danbohan wrote: »
    whats new in that , they are as least as culpable as the banks , dev , ff for the mess

Pardon my ignorance here, but how do you figure that the unions are at least as culpable as the banks for this mess?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

I, personally, prefer 20 euro return to London with Ryanair to 50 euro return to Dublin with unionased Irish Rail. Ryanairland would be my dream land!

Say what ya like about Ryanair but they are an efficiently run company and very solvent. The Irish state on the other hand are the complete opposite.

Ryanair is a well run business. There's no denying that but the perception is that they treat their staff like dirt. The fact that the irish state is poorly run is not entirely the fault of the unions.

I, personally, prefer 20 euro return to London with Ryanair to 50 euro return to Dublin with unionased Irish Rail. Ryanairland would be my dream land!

€20 return flights to London are one thing.

A functioning public sector that treats it's staff fairly is another thing entirely.

godscop wrote: »
    Hopefully changes - and i mean big changes - will happen to get rid of the waste that is the public sector. Seriously overstaffed, lack of hard work, every kind of ridiculous perk ie. term time, taking the whole summer off etc will finally be a thing of the past..........[/Q

I hope the sort out the wasters in the banks..A bonus for screwing the country..;)

I dont think anyone would bemoan increased efficiency in the public sector.

The perception that a lack of hard work tkaes place is not entirely fair either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

That is what the rest of us want! The people who give out about the public sector want to fire the wasters there, or at least be allowed to!

Ryanair is a well run business. There's no denying that but the perception is that they treat their staff like dirt. The fact that the irish state is poorly run is not entirely the fault of the unions.
    Ryanair staff are well paid despite the public perception, they just work hard for it. I would have no problem with the Public sector getting paid well if they worked hard for it. They have all these perks because of the unions. Im not blaming frontline staff in the public sector either.

• Advertisement

Ryanair staff are well paid despite the public perception, they just work hard for it. I would have no problem with the Public sector getting paid well if they worked hard for it. They have all these perks because of the unions. Im not blaming frontline staff in the public sector either.

All civil servants are not lazy or overpaid despite the public perception. Some of them work hard for what they earn.

Advertisement