Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sky Unlimited and Sky Talk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Basq wrote: »
    Sky Hub wireless is definitely on the mediocre side..

Went to watch something on Apple TV in bedroom last night - bedroom is more or less top of the stairs, Sky Hub is at bottom of the stairs - after 30 seconds into a video (far from HD - 250MB MP4 file):

Buffering.. plays for 5 seconds.. buffering..

Never had any hassle with my old silver Netopia box (Eircom branded - 3347W?).

Shame as it works fine on Smart TV in sitting room (Sky Hub outside door).

3 options now:

1) WiFi Extender
    2) Homeplugs
    3) Put back in Netopia router after 10 days when testing period is up; http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1625478

I have a Smart tv upstairs in the bedroom(Hub is downstairs in the living room) and I`ve been able to stream HD files. Now I`ve only let them play for 20 minutes or so as I was just testing and they played without issue. I`ve watched some films on Netflix on the telly too without issue and have used the BBC iplayer on the iPad in the bedroom too without issue.

My wifi signal on the Smart tv is 4/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

adox wrote: »
    I have a Smart tv upstairs in the bedroom(Hub is downstairs in the living room) and I`ve been able to stream HD files. Now I`ve only let them play for 20 minutes or so as I was just testing and they played without issue. I`ve watched some films on Netflix on the telly too without issue and have used the BBC iplayer on the iPad in the bedroom too without issue.

My wifi signal on the Smart tv is 4/5.
    Very strange..

.. as mentioned, I had no problems with old Netopia box but did have problems with the Apple TV as soon as installed the Sky hub.. so can't help but think it's that at fault.

Outside of doing the regulars like changing wireless channel (etc), I can't see a way of fixing it.

Will do some tinkering tonight and see what I can do to improve it... never actually checked signal strength on ATV.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

naughto wrote: »
    i went back through some of he post that i had with a vd rep when i signed up and this was the reading i was getting

ModulationType: G.DMT
    Upstream Downstream
    CurrRate(kbps) 5120 5120
    MaxRate(kbps) 13129 280
    NoiseMargin(dB) 24.0 17.7
    Attenuation(dB) 45.0 26.0
    Power(dBm) 12.2 19.8

this was back in 2010 i wonder i be able to reach the max rate with sky hes hoping.

These are my stats -

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 3072 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 39.5 dB 23.0 dB
    Noise Margin 16.8 dB 19.19 dB

Should I be able to get better speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Very like my speeds I think whats the website to check them again please.

I think I can't get any better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    These are my stats -

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 3072 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 39.5 dB 23.0 dB
    Noise Margin 16.8 dB 19.19 dB

Should I be able to get better speeds?

I'd say you could get a bit better alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭rebellad

Basq wrote: »
    Very strange..

.. as mentioned, I had no problems with old Netopia box but did have problems with the Apple TV as soon as installed the Sky hub.. so can't help but think it's that at fault.

Outside of doing the regulars like changing wireless channel (etc), I can't see a way of fixing it.

Will do some tinkering tonight and see what I can do to improve it... never actually checked signal strength on ATV.

Having the same issue with the AppleTV as well - was working fine with the old netopia and now getting a lot of loading and buffering after putting in the sky hub.

rebellad wrote: »
    Having the same issue with the AppleTV as well - was working fine with the old netopia and now getting a lot of loading and buffering after putting in the sky hub.
    Hmmm.. could be ATV related so.

You guys using ATV1 2 or 3? I have an ATV2 connected wirelessly to the Sky Hub and I am not having any issues with it, although it is in the same room as the Sky Hub.

You guys using ATV1 2 or 3? I have an ATV2 connected wirelessly to the Sky Hub and I am not having any issues with it, although it is in the same room as the Sky Hub.
    ATV2 here...

.. my LG Smart TV is working fine with it (via a NAS box just next to Sky Hub) - but that's in the living room and the Sky Hub is just outside the door in the hall- but the same setup but ATV is not working very well at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭positron

Did anyone get an email notification when Sky dispatched the hub? Wondering because my line and broadband is now active, but no sign off the modem. Should I ring them?

Vodafone is still working at home, I wonder if it would stop some stage today..?

• Advertisement

I`ll try and stream some files in full to the Smart tv upstairs to see how it is, although it mightnt be til the weekend as I`m away tomorrow until Friday.

You would think if you were ok with an old G router(I think thats what you had previously) that a N router would be at least as good if not an improvement.

positron wrote: »
    Did anyone get an email notification when Sky dispatched the hub? Wondering because my line and broadband is now active, but no sign off the modem. Should I ring them?

Vodafone is still working at home, I wonder if it would stop some stage today..?

I rang them when the hub hadnt arrived by the time the line had gone live and they said it hadnt been sent and reordered it for me.

Having said that it arrived the next day and then another one arrived after that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

mine was to be activated on the 30th but Eircom stopped working this morning so i plugged in my sky ..so far so good:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭exercise

i was just talking to some guy from sky ireland on the phone today, he said that they are still looking for trial broadband & phone customers,
    so its not to late registering your interest on there website,

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lockster

I'm also using an Apple TV and have no problem streaming to it from the Sky Hub. However the Hub is in the hall and the Apple TV in the sitting room which is just through one door. We watched a full movie streamed from my PC which is contected to the Sky Hub via Homeplugs on Friday with no buffering issues at all. I also watched a few old Top Gear episodes via Netflix on the Apple TV yesterday with no issues. It's difficult to judge in my situation but I would say the wifi range of the Sky Hub is only the same as with my old BT Voyager 2110 router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I had a call from sky yesterday in response from an email saying my speed was between 4 and 7.8 on a 12mb line.
    He changed my profile but saw no consistent improvement.

I also find that my signal is dropping, mainly in the evening.
    Has anyone else had this problem?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SomewhereNicer

Yay! All set up and running!

Ordered on the 16th Jan.
    Received welcome letters on Tues 22nd and Wed 23rd Jan.
    Router was sent out on Fri 25th.
    Received it today, Mon 28th! (It was sitting in the Athlone DPD hub all weekend, as Sky didn't want to pay extra for Saturday delivery. :rolleyes: )
    Activation date given is Fri 1st Feb, however I've just set it all up and it's working great! Bye-bye Vodafone with your 40GB allowance for 40e. Just hoping for better speeds now!

Regarding the cancellation that people are talking about, I too was specifically told by Sky not to contact Vodafone to tell them I'm leaving, as it would just confuse things.
    Nevertheless, tomorrow I will be cancelling my direct debit with Vodafone, so I can see exactly what the final bill will be and so they can't access my bank account. Later next week I'll check my Vodafone account to see if I'm still receiving a service or not, and I'll go from there I guess.

Otherwise, I'm happy with the hub. It looks quite well! A nice design.

One question though!
    I need one extra microfilter just for the phone line in the bedroom. Can I still use the existing Vodafone microfilter that is currently connected to it, or do I have to order another one from Sky. If so, how much are they?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

One question though!
    I need one extra microfilter just for the phone line in the bedroom. Can I still use the existing Vodafone microfilter that is currently connected to it, or do I have to order another one from Sky. If so, how much are they?
    Thanks.
    I think you can use another non sky microfilter no problem. Like you i was short 1, rang sky they told me any brand microfilter would be grand to use.
    They cost a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭positron

I rang them when the hub hadnt arrived by the time the line had gone live and they said it hadnt been sent and reordered it for me.

Having said that it arrived the next day and then another one arrived after that!!

No sign of hub all day today, so I rang them and they said the hub order was never generated in their system, so they are sending out a new one which should be with me on Wednesday.

Here's hoping I get one tomorrow and/or Vodafone keeps me alive for another day or two. I don't mind general internet / netflix etc going away from a day or two, but with tomorrows weather is anything like todays, i would like to have the option to work from home. Fingers crossed. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Yay! All set up and running!

Ordered on the 16th Jan.
    Received welcome letters on Tues 22nd and Wed 23rd Jan.
    Router was sent out on Fri 25th.
    Received it today, Mon 28th! (It was sitting in the Athlone DPD hub all weekend, as Sky didn't want to pay extra for Saturday delivery. :rolleyes: )
    Activation date given is Fri 1st Feb, however I've just set it all up and it's working great! Bye-bye Vodafone with your 40GB allowance for 40e. Just hoping for better speeds now!

Regarding the cancellation that people are talking about, I too was specifically told by Sky not to contact Vodafone to tell them I'm leaving, as it would just confuse things.
    Nevertheless, tomorrow I will be cancelling my direct debit with Vodafone, so I can see exactly what the final bill will be and so they can't access my bank account. Later next week I'll check my Vodafone account to see if I'm still receiving a service or not, and I'll go from there I guess.

Otherwise, I'm happy with the hub. It looks quite well! A nice design.

One question though!
    Thanks.

Let us know how that goes, I'm thinking of canceling our direct debt with Eircom as soon as we set up Sky - which should be by Friday. My bill is paid for February, so they can keep that €60 as their cancellation fee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

No sign of hub all day today, so I rang them and they said the hub order was never generated in their system, so they are sending out a new one which should be with me on Wednesday.

Here's hoping I get one tomorrow and/or Vodafone keeps me alive for another day or two. I don't mind general internet / netflix etc going away from a day or two, but with tomorrows weather is anything like todays, i would like to have the option to work from home. Fingers crossed. :(
    lol, I am just after getting an email from sky saying my service is now active (today).

So in summary:

Signed up on 16th.
    Switching phoneline and broadband from Vodafone.
    Got welcome letter last week.
    Email today saying sky line and broadband is now active - but I presume that means it will be activated before 10 pm tonight (or in next few days in rare cases).
    No sign of hub, no email about hub dispatch or anything.
    Vodafone broadband is still working this morning, but has been patchy and regularly dropping connections since signing up to Sky, it's as if Vodafone is saying eff you too. :)

PS: MySky shows 'your broadband is now active', and 'currently processing your order'.

Same here, Email says active no hub. Rang them and they said the hub was not sent out. They also said I was the fist person to call in relation to being active and having no hub.

Think it might be going a bit pear shaped for sky BB!! If they cant send out hubs to the first 1000 testers they might have big problems when the whole country is looking to join. Anyway if you dont hear from me after midnight tonight my UTV is gone and I am hubless

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

my bb bill from vd came out on the 21st of this month so i will have to wait untill i get the nest 1 before i cancle my direct debit.sky bb went live on the 24 so i cant see it being that much well i hope not any way

• Registered Users Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I just hooked up my Sky hub there, im getting about 6.2mb down which is brilliant, the most i got out of vodafone was just over 5mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

my broadband went live with sky last thursday

but my phone line was due to switch to sky today, how do i tell if its switched over or not?

mysky shows its still awaiting activation, is there any other way to check?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭partnership

BArra wrote: »
    my broadband went live with sky last thursday

but my phone line was due to switch to sky today, how do i tell if its switched over or not?

mysky shows its still awaiting activation, is there any other way to check?

Stilltrying to get it to work. Activated fri no broadband over weekend and still no word on when. Not happy.

Forgot to bring home a wireless bridge from work to try and fix my ATV issue.

Just tried there and realised it actually disconnects playback after 30 seconds.. not even a case of buffering. Just quits back to the main menu.

Signal strength appears full on ATV2 as well.. infuriating! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭franciec

tantipie wrote: »
    mine was to be activated on the 30th but Eircom stopped working this morning so i plugged in my sky ..so far so good:)

Same here, was told it was to be 31st but eircom went off today and tried the Sky Hub and it worked. Checked the emails once all was set up and had a welcome email from Sky Broadband.

Getting 12mb/s so, it's twice the speed and a third of the price of eircom.:D
    Anyone know how long it takes for the Sky Talk to set up once the broadband been activated?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

exercise wrote: »
    i was just talking to some guy from sky ireland on the phone today, he said that they are still looking for trial broadband & phone customers,
    so its not to late registering your interest on there website,
    We were one of the first to register on the website is there any way I can call and ask them again? We have been sky tv customers for 8 years now and want to get rid of eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭exercise

Dazza wrote: »
    We were one of the first to register on the website is there any way I can call and ask them again? We have been sky tv customers for 8 years now and want to get rid of eircom.

when did you register? i only registered last week, the sky guy said, i should get a call this week or next, im with eircom aswell, would be great to have all sky in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

exercise wrote: »
    when did you register? i only registered last week, the sky guy said, i should get a call this week or next, im with eircom aswell, would be great to have all sky in the house.
    what number did u use i think thats what people that did not get the offer before it closed want to no??

Advertisement