Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

that's the exact reason I won't even look at that NFS Most Wanted from a couple of years back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

that's the exact reason I won't even look at that NFS Most Wanted from a couple of years back.

The most recent one that came out? It's actually pretty fun

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The most recent one that came out? It's actually pretty fun

Is it not the one that launched with the 360?
    It was the last NFS game I had a good time with.
    The last NFS game I had a great time with was Hot Pursuit 2 on the PS2.... that game still rocks most successfully in tight slacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is it not the one that launched with the 360?

there was a 2012 game with the exact same name

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just shipped of a heap of my Sega games. Games that took me about 8 years to fully collect, gone in less than a week. I still have a nice little stash left though of my favorite games. I really think that collecting is at an all time high right now so I decided to cash out on a good few of my more valuable games. Games that I paid €20-€30 or even €5 in some cases are going for €70-€80 right now and I needed the funds for something A&R releated ;)

Luckily I've made enough for an everdrive aswell ;)

Also finally cast a new concrete floor for my garage, have to finish it off on Wednesday but then its ready for the full conversion to an arcade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Just shipped of a heap of my Sega games. Games that took me about 8 years to fully collect, gone in less than a week. I still have a nice little stash left though of my favorite games. I really think that collecting is at an all time high right now so I decided to cash out on a good few of my more valuable games. Games that I paid €20-€30 or even €5 in some cases are going for €70-€80 right now and I needed the funds for something A&R releated ;)

Luckily I've made enough for an everdrive aswell ;)

Also finally cast a new concrete floor for my garage, have to finish it off on Wednesday but then its ready for the full conversion to an arcade

Wily Wars arrived this morning. Not had time to play it or anything but had a quick look before I headed to work(very nice condition). Glad I was able to pick it up from someone here as its a gods damn minefield trying to get a real version elsewhere!

Cheers dude

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Glad it got there safe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well a friend of mine was went to the Ghostbusters press screening and enjoyed it. Could be decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Has anyone heard any more about that barcade that the Rage were supposedly planning?

Sorry if this is old news just got thinking about it today :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well a friend of mine was went to the Ghostbusters press screening and enjoyed it. Could be decent.

Myself and herself went earlier today and both of us left feeling very underwhelmed by it.
    It felt like it was trying to hard to be funny and a lot just fell flat.
    The story was just not at all interesting and lacked any spark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Doge wrote: »

I just came on to post this *ed shakes fist*

Damn he is a smart guy

Sega Saturn Everdrive imminent

Biggest surprise for me in the video was finding out that the Saturn had a 32 channel FM chip!

It seems to be a recurring theme for me, reminds of the time I was extremely sleep depraved at Cidey's beers and Banjo Guy Ollie told me that the Amiga had an FM chip which I never knew about also!

I was an absolute mess that night! :P
    Could never function without sleep.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Myself and herself went earlier today and both of us left feeling very underwhelmed by it.
    It felt like it was trying to hard to be funny and a lot just fell flat.
    The story was just not at all interesting and lacked any spark.

I find that in the last decade or so mainstream comedy films have always been a let down for me in general, I cant remember the last time I laughed out loud in the cinema a fair bit, was probably back in the 90s.

Deadpool was probably the only half decent mainstream comedy I've seen so far this year.

And I shouldnt be too hard to please, I even found Freddy Got fingered funny back in the day ffs! :pac:

Its the one movie genre I have a gripe with, just seems to be getting so watered down by Hollywood these days.

Am I alone here?

Thank god for TV series like Its Always Sunny, Silicon Valley, Peep Show etc. to give me my fix!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really liked Ghostbusters. Nothing earth shattering, as expected, but the cast are great, the production design is pitch perfect and the whole thing just radiates a carefree good time. Kate McKinnon will hopefully get much more work based on her performance here.

It does suffer from being too indebted to the original - too many of the plot beats are familiar, and the nods to the 1984 film grow tiresome. I'd actually welcome news of a sequel for them to stretch their imaginations a bit without being restrained by the past. But overall, a solid, inoffensive piece of work - not as good as the original, but a fun variant on it nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ghostbusters was ok but it felt sort of.....flat. The cast were quite good although I thought McKinnon's role was disappointing, I expected a bit more and I'm not sure if it was her or the writing for her character, she seems a little out of place. The editing of the film was quite jarring as well, seemed a bit all over the place and scenes that needed more settling time were ended abruptly and rolled straight into another one. Feig did his best and his fingerprints are all over the jokes but I don't think his humour is a good fit for this reboot. I wished they had took their own path with the plot points as they go over old ground with less impact and questionable tweaks to characters.

It's an ok film and it was never going to be as bad as a lot of the vitriol that there was but it's blunt and a little bit forgettable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Really liked Ghostbusters. Nothing earth shattering, as expected, but the cast are great, the production design is pitch perfect and the whole thing just radiates a carefree good time. Kate McKinnon will hopefully get much more work based on her performance here.

It does suffer from being too indebted to the original - too many of the plot beats are familiar, and the nods to the 1984 film grow tiresome. I'd actually welcome news of a sequel for them to stretch their imaginations a bit without being restrained by the past. But overall, a solid, inoffensive piece of work - not as good as the original, but a fun variant on it nonetheless.
    So, better than Ghostbusters II, I see.

Yeah, I'm still pissed that Janine didn't wind up with Egon!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, better than Ghostbusters II, I see.

Yeah, I'm still pissed that Janine didn't wind up with Egon!

GB2 and it's lack of quality is the reason there is no GB3.
    I'm looking forward to this reboot with some confidence now.
    The more I consider the female lineup, the more I think why not, the originals aren't going anywhere, if that's what you love, and a remake with new actors playing the old roles would have still been a source of nerd rage.
    Might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb, as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

GB2 and it's lack of quality is the reason there is no GB3.
    I liked GhostBusters 2... there, I said it! :o
    It's not a patch on the first, but it's still good and enjoyable.
    I'm looking forward to this reboot with some confidence now.
    The more I consider the female lineup, the more I think why not, the originals aren't going anywhere, if that's what you love, and a remake with new actors playing the old roles would have still been a source of nerd rage.
    I'm not confident in it, because of the level of humour in the trailers, but I was always going to go see it anyway, with the hope that it'd not be awful. I like some of the actresses in it, and I think they could do a great job, but the angle of the humour is what'll let them down I fear.

I really, really hate the "ruined my childhood" type nerd-rage moaning, nothing can retrospectively change the old movies. They're still the same. The ghostbusters themselves being female is neither here nor there, what odds? They're just new people doing the same kind of job, what bloody difference does their gender matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Even the 84 Ghostbusters wasn't the original Ghostbusters. The one the cartoon with the Gorilla was based on was first.

Read two pretty good Ghostbusters 2 related articles yesterday, well worth a read:

The Hateful Life And Spiteful Death Of The Man Who Was Vigo The Carpathian

http://deadspin.com/the-hateful-life-and-spiteful-death-of-the-man-who-was-1737376537

What happened to the Vigo the Carpathian painting from Ghostbusters II

https://triviahappy.com/articles/what-happened-to-the-vigo-the-carpathian-painting-from-ghostbusters-ii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I loved Ghostbusters 2. One of my favourites growing up. Still have a VHS copy knocking about.

I'm on two minds about seeing it tbh. The whole gender flip thing (including Hemsworth playing the ditsy secretary) doesn't overly bother me, but there are few female comedians I find funny and Melissa McCarthy is not one of them.

I might give it a go sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My earliest memory of Ghostbusters 2 was that I was on a flight to Australia with my parents and at the time those flights would show films well before they were ever available in Ireland. Ghostbusters 2 was one of the movies. Anyway I threw a massive tantrum because I fell asleep and missed it and my mam and brother didn't wake me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I remember being super disappointed by Ghostbusters 2 when I saw it in the cinema first time around. For some reason I'd gotten it into my head that the whole movie was going to be about the Titanic arriving in New York full of ghosts and was pretty bummed out to find out that was just a throwaway line.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My folks brought me to see Ghostbusters 2 in the cinema when it came out and I spent most of the film with my hands over my eyes. A seriously traumatic experience :pac:

o1s1n wrote: »
    My folks brought me to see Ghostbusters 2 in the cinema when it came out and I spent most of the film with my hands over my eyes. A seriously traumatic experience :pac:

I remember almost having a heart attack in the cinema when I saw Vigo come to life, pretty sure theres a jumo scare moment in the film. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »
    I remember almost having a heart attack in the cinema when I saw Vigo come to life, pretty sure theres a jumo scare moment in the film. :p

Apparently I refused to look at the screen every time he appeared on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Mr Vader scared the crap out of me when I was taken to see Star Wars when it was first released (yes I'm that old), so much so that I didn't want to go to see Empire when it came out...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/752668111694925824

I think we can trust the creator of Babylon 5 in what he says.

I was weird as was a big fan of movie soundtracks at the time.
    Thanks to the release schedules of the day I ended up owning the GB2 vinyl months before the movie was out.
    The movie was okay, fun even, but just felt like a bunch of Lampoon's/SNL vets running down the clock at times.
    The goo covered happy crappy final act didn't help either, while the original felt like an ever more incentive series of action scenes, the sequel just didn't have that progression.
    And the M'eh of GB2 just sucked the chances of GB3 away, with no interest from Murray over the decades since, til now it is too late.
    With Ramis dead and Moranis coping still with his own family tragedies a reboot is the only path for the franchise.
    But, sure, the reviews are either loving it or damning it with faint praise, and either is better than the haters were predicting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Now, that was a class TV show TRGB (and obviously B5 as well)..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement