Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

i didnt say i do it for deadlifts? :confused

VW 1 was specifically talking about deadlifts in the post you quoted.
    if im on my own lifting i wont because if i fail and it drops i can at least slide to one side and they will slip off when benching...

This sounds dangerous and I'm just picturing an airborne barbell. Never done the roll of shame? I've gotten quite good at it :D
    and ive seen newbies getting spotted for deadlifting, just standing behind them making sure things arnt curving where they shouldnt be etc

Sounds more like a form check than a spot. Isn't spotting making sure you can safely rack the bar when in danger zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Blacktie. wrote: »
    But how do you assert your dominance then!?

I may or may not throw in a few curls of said Loaded bar, If I feel my natural inherent dominance is not fully appreciated by other patrons.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 39,067 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

coz its safer?

i wouldnt put a collar on if im alone so if i get stuck i can slide them off but if ive a spotter its definitely safer... one wobble and you can get seriously hurt.

How would you get stuck when deadlifting?

I tend to skip collars most of the time. I'm using good bars and bumpers, so they stay in place pretty well. One exception is Cleans and snatches when I have little plates on there. Just to to keep it tight and stable. With two full sze plates only on there, I'd probably not bother.
    Probably shouldn't, but meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Mellor wrote: »
    How would you get stuck when deadlifting?

I tend to skip collars most of the time. I'm using good bars and bumpers, so they stay in place pretty well. One exception is Cleans and snatches when I have little plates on there. Just to to keep it tight and stable. With two full sze plates only on there, I'd probably not bother.
    Probably shouldn't, but meh.

i have clearly said i wasnt talking about deadlifting...
    i didnt say i do it for deadlifts?

does anyone here read posts? or just pick random words out of it.

VW 1 was specifically talking about deadlifts in the post you quoted.

i know...
    This sounds dangerous and I'm just picturing an airborne barbell. Never done the roll of shame? I've gotten quite good at it :D

roll of shame? probably i have the upper body strenght of wet spaghetti
    Sounds more like a form check than a spot. Isn't spotting making sure you can safely rack the bar when in danger zone?

maybe, different strokes i guess... when i first started (sin i know) i was squatting in the smith with my PT to make sure i was getting it done. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

idnkph wrote: »
    . I wasn't going to let his bully boy tactics work on me. Iv seen him do it time and time again on others.
    I'm always respectful and mannerly to those who deserve it.
    Respect and manners are a 2 way street. When people are not giving me respect our manners they won't get it back.
    It doesn't mean I'm not a delightful young man.

I agree with you to be honest. I've seen guys like this bully beginners off the benches and women off the squat racks etc. Had you offered him to work in, chances are he'd of taken over and detracted from your workout rest times etc.
    These lads are the reason shy people never come back to the gym again. I know posters are saying two wrongs don't make a right but sometimes these lads need to know that it's not ok to badger people. he probably normally throws his towel over the squat rack and then walks away for 15 minutes whilst he high fives every other tool in the gym! I hate these clowns!!

rusty cole wrote: »
    I agree with you to be honest. I've seen guys like this bully beginners off the benches and women off the squat racks etc. Had you offered him to work in, chances are he'd of taken over and detracted from your workout rest times etc.
    These lads are the reason shy people never come back to the gym again. I know posters are saying two wrongs don't make a right but sometimes these lads need to know that it's not ok to badger people. he probably normally throws his towel over the squat rack and then walks away for 15 minutes whilst he high fives every other tool in the gym! I hate these clowns!!

i have to say i love the high fives...

i always wonder do these guys only know each other from the gym or from real life too??

bros loooooveeeee the bros...

i have clearly said i wasnt talking about deadlifting...
    Calm the jets.
    Your second post wasn't there when I was reading the thread. I don't usually refresh the page to check has any post been added.
    does anyone here read posts? or just pick random words out of it.
    Ironic :pac:
    VW 1 wrote: »
    I never understand people deadlifting with collars on,
    coz its safer?

i wouldnt put a collar on if im alone so if i get stuck i can slide them off...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Some rename it to "annoying thread behaviour" and set post one to "line by line quoted responses to replies".

..also boards would be a lot better if you could thank your own posts.

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    ..also boards would be a lot better if you could thank your own posts.

were just so lucky to be entitled to your opinions that's all ;)

I see your new web photo is up now....perfects

rusty cole wrote: »
    were just so lucky to be entitled to your opinions that's all ;)

I see your new web photo is up now....perfects

*we're

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Rusty Cole. I think your in my gym! Psst.... don't slag off the roid ragers they don't like it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

TripleAce wrote: »
    The worst for me is to see people not carrying a towel with them to clean up their sweat from the bench/machine after use.

it's not like your are going to die ..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

arayess wrote: »
    it's not like your are going to die ..

It is annoying gym behaviour, not death inducing behavour.
    And you might.
    Also it's manky

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The worst for me is to see people not carrying a towel with them to clean up their sweat from the bench/machine after use.

I carry two. One for head sweat. The other for bum sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

My list

No towel
    Using DBs right in front of rack
    Not putting weights back

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭RTighe

To the young guy doing a savage work out on the treadmill, rower and cycle machine, great work out but I'm only here a month and I really hate it when you have to flick your hair and sweat to the other gym members either side of you, I might be new but I'm really thinking of buying you a sweat band to fix that issue. yours in training, The new guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm going to give you all a giggle.

I've done weight training with my team when the weathers been too bad for outdoor training and I really enjoyed it, but the gym is not my natural environment. I'm not that comfortable in a gym for some reason.

BUT, due to a massive crash and serious injury I had to stop what I do and get in to the gym for rehabilitation. (torn tendons, broken ligaments, torn rotator cuff, cortisone injections, surgery... you get the picture)

I did an introduction with a trainer and she was brilliant, understood the injury, looked at my notes from the physio and basically told me what to do. Which was... lift the tiniest weights you've ever seen. I mean, they were like lifting two two Euro coins balanced on a toothpick! My next exercise was to pull an office sized elastic band attached to the wall.

So, here I am... not too comfortable in the gym lifting weights that are suitable for a two and a half year old and pulling elastic bands normally used for binding an A3 folder.

After my massive workout my (cute, in fairness, and really friendly) gym instructor waves goodbye to me as I walk out. I wave back and fall over a barbell on the floor. Properly fall over... one of those fall overs that last thirty seconds and go on for thirty metres... stumbling (trying to wave back and act like I'm not falling), still falling, gaining momentum until my legs can't keep up with my upper body and I fall face first on the floor, unable to properly protect my beautiful face because of my dodgy side.

There you go. Faceplanted myself in the gym after lifting minuscule weights.

I burnt my face on the carpet in the reception area. Where there were loads of people.

Haven't been back since, funnily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

JJayoo wrote: »
    My list

No towel
    Using DBs right in front of rack
    Not putting weights back

Are you making a to do list?

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Haven't been back since, funnily enough.

OH NO!!!!!!! morto for you. BUT

why do we fall? (my favourite gym motivation youtube video!)

get back in there!!

come on RAMBO!!!

(i may be being too over enthusiastic this morning i had a very very long run before work, twitching from the endorphins i am!!...)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

endacl wrote: »
    I carry two. One for head sweat. The other for bum sweat.

Genuine question. I carry a towel and use it to wipe benches and equipment. I feel guilty then when I see people using spray and wipes. Should I be doing both?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Patrick_Swayze

honestly think phones should be banned from gyms or at least only allowed for music

Hate people taking selfies or checking messages while on maschines
    always end up waiting on them

I'm also very self conscious which is my problem but seeing phones makes me afraid somebody is taking pictures of me and interrupts my flow

Also just hate people taking selfies in the gym or anywhere, find it cringe, but each to their own outside the gym i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

honestly think phones should be banned from gyms or at least only allowed for music

I'm also very self conscious which is my problem but seeing phones makes me afraid somebody is taking pictures of me and interrupts my flow

Also just hate people taking selfies in the gym or anywhere, find it cringe, but each to their own outside the gym i suppose

Something I've noticed recently is people leaving their phones on the floor beside benches, I even saw one left behind a bench that was dangerously close to one of the plate racks - I saw this because I had to watch my step to avoid walking on it. Not so much annoying, but it's really not a good idea to leave phones on the floor in the spaces that people are going to be walking in!

I personally don't understand the idea of bringing a phone onto the gym floor, certainly in the gym I go to where there's pumping music in the background anyway. It would completely distract me if I got a message or a call when I'm training and the wires from the ear phones just get in my way. Then there's always the phone falling out of the pocket when lying on a bench issue. All that combined would interrupt my flow and level of intensity when lifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

The selfie thing is completely cringey but it doesn't bother me so each to their own.

I use my phone for logging my workout, so at a glance it looks like i'm on it procrastinating. I wouldn't have much issue with checking messages, as long as it doesn't extend the rest time between sets. If i am sitting on a bench during that time and some one wants to work in, then that's fine. They have to ask me one way or another.

Something that does irk me is people who take over a bench and only use it for minding their gear/phone etc and not as part of an exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

brownej wrote: »
    Are you making a to do list?

Your going straight on the list.

I have my phone on me most of the time at the gym. Sometimes I use it, somethings not. I almost always train on my lunch break, so sometimes it's used for works stuff, (emails, calls, etc).
    And sometimes it's random personal stuff, like;
    Checking my program/log
    Recording my training/lifts
    ...and sometimes completely irrelevant random browsing. *shrugs*

I'd disagree strongly with anyone that says I shouldn't be allowed to have my phone in the gym. It's really nobody else's business, if it's not actually affecting anyone else. People should be focused on their own workout.

That said, I do understand the point about being self conscious at the gym and worried others are taking photos. But they almost certainly aren't.
    The solution to the issue shouldn't be to banish phones, but tackle the cause of the problem.

Mellor wrote: »
    The solution to the issue shouldn't be to banish phones, but tackle the cause of the problem.

im with you on this, my gym encourages people to post their workouts to their social media accounts.

however id never post a pic from the changing room, or of another person.

i listen to podcasts and watch youtube videos on the threadmil (love run selfie repeats daily vlogs atm) and log my lifting etc on an app.

its common sense really, use your phone to occupy yourself but dont waste time taking selfies in the mirror when someones trying to get to the rack...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Some mad lad took the only deadlift/squat belt in the entire gym and started wearing it for his whole time there while using the free weights machine. Doesn't even do a deadlift/squat. Unless there's something else going on, I'm seriously confused Ted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This is probably going to provoke a reaction but I don't bring a towel with me any more. It has to be absolutely sweltering heat for me to sweat enough to leave any evidence behind, and I use free weights 99% of the time. There isn't anything to mop up.

Just the other day a larger fellow was being brought around the gym with a trainer. From the sounds of it it was his first day and he was getting shown a programme. Pouring sweat. Practically left a puddle on the ab raiser (for want of a better word). Both of them walk off without so much as a glance. I had to go get a handful of paper and wipe it down before I could use it, it was swimming. I wanted to shout after the trainer that he should be teaching etiquette as well while he was at it.

Advertisement