Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Due to competition in the marketplace, that leaves them currently off the pace. Hyundai's offering would seem to be much more progressive. However, things go in cycles. That's the situation today. Perhaps Nissan will get their mojo back and remain competitive by way of the next iteration or a brand new platform. Then again, perhaps they won't - OR - it could be another market entrant takes pole position, who knows....

Absolutely agree 100%, very well said. For the health of the EV market I hope we have many companies bringing out great and competitive products.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

On the infotainment / connected services side I know Nissan has had issues recruiting. Not offering a competitive enough wages / clashes with the culture of the rest of the company.

Hyundai set up several "innovation centers" and are doing much better on that front.

Ioniq Plug-in got it's Korean launch on the 27th:

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2017/02/27/0200000000AEN20170227002751320.html

http://www.hyundai.com/kr/showroom.do?carCd1=RD033&WT.ac=direct_carkind_ioniqplugin

44.5kW electric motor
    105 PS 1.6 GDi combustion motor
    46km range in electric on the korean cycle (BEV gets 206km on this cycle... so not far off EPA numbers)
    4.87km/l once the battery is down

Announced prices are a slight bit lower than expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Just wondering is anyone getting any sort of discount off these? or is it just list price and work from there? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Are there only white left in stock here at the moment? I'm quite interested but I'm not too gone on white - could be tempted though :rolleyes: Anyone know of the current waiting times from order to delivery for other colours? I read in another forum that a guy in the UK was told to expect June delivery.

Seriously considering the buy a banger approach to get the €4k scrappage bonus but might be stretched for time now if it's actually ending next week. I guess they'll offer the scrappage bonus again for 172 plates like last year anyway.

• Advertisement

Are there only white left in stock here at the moment? I'm quite interested but I'm not too gone on white - could be tempted though :rolleyes: Anyone know of the current waiting times from order to delivery for other colours? I read in another forum that a guy in the UK was told to expect June delivery.

Seriously considering the buy a banger approach to get the €4k scrappage bonus but might be stretched for time now if it's actually ending next week. I guess they'll offer the scrappage bonus again for 172 plates like last year anyway.

It is only white, I talked to garage and no colours available.

Said it would be potentially 6 months for colour....

• Registered Users Posts: 64,856 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Waiting times for the UK can be very long for people ordering the Premium SE spec (we don't get that) and still at least 2 months for the normal SE spec. And sale is starting in the US in a few weeks time, which will put massive additional pressure on the production capacity in South Korea, so could be even longer. Grand for people who have bought already because this will minimise depreciation. Not so nice for people ready to buy now who will have to wait...

If got full scrappage and a very nice discount in mid January (hope to have delivery later this month), but if I were a dealer right now, I wouldn't feel the need to give anything off. But I'm just speculating here, YMMV

If you're interested in doing a deal, I'd advise to not negotiate until you are ready to do the deal and pay the deposit there and then (and let the dealer know this). It's the only way to get the best possible discount.

There are a few white (non-metallic) cars in the country that you can do a deal on, but for me solid white is suitable for vans only :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭listermint

White is a good looking car subtle tint on Windows and have the silver grille sprayed in a nice black and will look like this rather than the grey grille colour.

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Jaysus. Could they not be a bit more firm on a date? Or were they trying to push a white car do you think (so they had an agenda)?

Yeah I'm starting to think I'm too late to the party at this stage, I should have been all over this back in January. :(

If I could get the full €4k scrappage bonus then I'd most likely go for it, in white even :eek:. But yeah, I'd need to source a banger first :P and then that's hoping the dealer would accept it. Did you mention previously unkel that some dealers wanted the trade-in to be tax'd and nct'd etc. while others didn't care? My main car at the moment is worth about 8k I guess but I'd rather sell that privately later on and get a banger for the scrappage.

listermint wrote: »
    White is a good looking car subtle tint on Windows and have the silver grille sprayed in a nice black and will look like this rather than the grey grille colour.

The black trim on the hybrid looks better alright IMO. What's the story with the alloys, is there a choice or is it something to negotiate with the dealer? I've seen a black Ioniq electric with the alloys as seen on the hybrid in that pic but then at the weekend I saw a white Ioniq electric in the forecourt with these wheels with the white finish on them. The rims on the hybrid look far better I think.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Jaysus. Could they not be a bit more firm on a date? Or were they trying to push a white car do you think (so they had an agenda)?

I think there was clear agenda, no firm dates, when I discussed trade in, it was said they couldn't hold trade in value for potentially 6 months while I waited for delivery....so buy now and try and negotiate a deal more or less.....

Trying to get over to another garage tomorrow for there view of the World

I actually don't mind the white so not a big issue. If I get the right price I would probably fire ahead with white

Also if I want the freebie insurance/service I need to order now

I'd need to source a banger first :P and then that's hoping the dealer would accept it. Did you mention previously unkel that some dealers wanted the trade-in to be tax'd and nct'd etc. while others didn't care?

Officially, I think it has to be taxed, nct'd and owned by you for a certain length of time and maybe even more t&c, I think it was mentioned in this thread somewhere, but very few dealers checked this with me. Some demanded to see the car and inspect it, others couldn't care less and were ready to do a deal (over the phone / email)

Scrappage ends in a week or so - check out the Hyundai website. They've said this before and renewed it, but I wouldn't be as confident as before that they will do that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Soarer

Here's one for ye, just thinking out loud like.

What would happen if you bought a banger tomorrow, but backdated the sale date by a few months? Would the logbook reflect that, or is the date when it arrives in Shannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Soarer wrote: »
    Here's one for ye, just thinking out loud like.

What would happen if you bought a banger tomorrow, but backdated the sale date by a few months? Would the logbook reflect that, or is the date when it arrives in Shannon?

Date of when it arrives I would assume. I don't think they can or would back date ownership

unkel wrote: »
    Officially, I think it has to be taxed, nct'd and owned by you for a certain length of time and maybe even more t&c, I think it was mentioned in this thread somewhere, but very few dealers checked this with me. Some demanded to see the car and inspect it, others couldn't care less and were ready to do a deal (over the phone / email)

Just looking at the T&C's there:

Qualifying trade-in vehicles must:
    - be registered in the Republic of Ireland for at least 1 year.
    - have valid NCT and road tax certificates.
    - be currently insured and have been previously insured 4 months prior to trade-in.

Looks like if I can get something with tax and nct in my own name (before Mar 16th) then I might be in luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The NCT on mine was out last year, for the Leaf. Don't think that would be an issue.

You mightn't even need it. Why don't you "make up" a car / banger with no tax / nct or any of the above and ring a few dealers? Chances are they don't care about your car. If not, just buy a €50 banger and use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Alu

It is only white, I talked to garage and no colours available.

Was told much the same, guess I left it too late..

Also found the Hyundai dealers I tried weren't giving me great deals (trading in a 2010 Prius) in comparison to Toyota for a new or even used hybrid Auris or Prius.

I'd go mad if I had to wait 2 months never mind 6 months, that's madness.

At that rate you'd be better off waiting for Leaf II or whatever they're calling it and the larger Ioniq battery in 2018. Who knows all this might even be available in the late Summer or Autumn and it's March already . :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I'd go mad if I had to wait 2 months never mind 6 months, that's madness.

At that rate you'd be better off waiting for Leaf II or whatever they're calling it and the larger Ioniq battery in 2018. Who knows all this might even be available in the late Summer or Autumn and it's March already . :eek:

You clearly never wanted a Skoda :D At some stage the waiting time was reaching 9 months...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If much of new car sales moved to pre-ordering, it should reduce the price a good bit.
    I would have no problem waiting 3 months for a new car, to my spec.

Well +1 more Ioniq on the road. Didn't go down the scrappage route in the end. Went for white, should take delivery next week or the week after. Can not wait ðŸ˜

Just FYI looks like there's a batch of black models due at the end of April. All other colours end of May.

Just wondering has anyone seen a picture of inside of black Ioniq? Is the material on seats any different in colour?

Not sure about the bronze in the seats

Just wondering has anyone seen a picture of inside of black Ioniq? Is the material on seats any different in colour?

Not sure about the bronze in the seats

A guy I know has a black Ioniq, the seats have the same bronze/copper textile pattern. The pattern seats and the white alloys(on white models) are the only things that I'm not too gone on - That said I found the seats to be reasonably comfortable so I'll get over it. The hybrid has plain black seats which are far nicer IMO.

A guy I know has a black Ioniq, the seats have the same bronze/copper textile pattern. The pattern seats and the white alloys(on white models) are the only things that I'm not too gone on - That said I found the seats to be reasonably comfortable so I'll get over it. The hybrid has plain black seats which are far nicer IMO.

Sat in Hybrid today, they had swapped the seats to black leather. Cost was 2k....was very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Has anyone done a long motorway journey in an Ioniq BEV yet?

Say, Cork-Dublin, driving at the full 120kmh?
    I'd be keen to see the stats on that.

KCross wrote: »
    Has anyone done a long motorway journey in an Ioniq BEV yet?

Say, Cork-Dublin, driving at the full 120kmh?
    I'd be keen to see the stats on that.

Someone on the Irish EV Owners FB group did Fota Island -> Dublin with a stop in Ballycolla last weekend.

They averaged ~110kmh for the first 100km and then slowed to ~105kmh arriving at the Ballycolla FCP with 28km in the tank. They charged up to 95% (183km indicated) in 35 mins at the FCP and arrived in Dublin with 67km left after averaging 120kmh from Ballycolla.

I'm planning on doing Cork -> Ikea in a couple of weeks when I get mine. I will try 115-120kmh with one stop in Urlingford which seems to be roughly half way. Efficiency could take a hit on the way back depending how much cargo we pick up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 JohnnyB23

Hi Folks,
    I've been reading a few of these EV threads and I'm quite taken with the idea of getting an EV. My two concerns about buying an EV are...

1) Would a Hyundai Ioniq have enough poke. I guess the only way to get a satisfactory answer to this is to get a test drive.

2) Maintaince and repairs, do I have to go to main dealership to find somebody who is able to fix the car. And are repairs to EV's wildly more expensive because they are relatively new to the Irish market?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

JohnnyB23 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    I've been reading a few of these EV threads and I'm quite taken with the idea of getting an EV. My two concerns about buying an EV are...

1) Would a Hyundai Ioniq have enough poke. I guess the only way to get a satisfactory answer to this is to get a test drive.

2) Maintaince and repairs, do I have to go to main dealership to find somebody who is able to fix the car. And are repairs to EV's wildly more expensive because they are relatively new to the Irish market?

If you take a test drive and your testing it's performance, make sure you "double tap" the accelerator. It has a hold at about 80%, the extra bit gives it a great burst acceleration.

• Advertisement

EVs generally have better performance per hp than combustion cars. The Ioniq has an 88kW motor (~120-125hp). It will get you to 100km/h in under 10 seconds.

The powertrain (incl. battery capacity) warranty is 8 years / 200,000km. To maintain this you'll have to have an annual inspection at a hyundai dealership. Maintenance on EVs is much less than combustion vehicles, the motor has one moving part.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement