Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,012 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Supposedly some time next year. I wouldn't hold my breath though...

Saw somewhere yesterday that Hyundai are trying to up the production capacity of the Ioniq EV by about 50% but the numbers are still very low and half the production stays in South Korea (shocking). Demand for the car is far higher than supply and will likely be the same for quite some time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

unkel wrote: »

Saw somewhere yesterday that Hyundai are trying to up the production capacity of the Ioniq EV by about 50% but the numbers are still very low and half the production stays in South Korea (shocking). Demand for the car is far higher than supply and will likely be the same for quite some time to come.
    PushEV

Yeah I think that's where I read it. About 10k cars going to the USA and Europe per year currently? Even with the increased production that's not even 50k cars per year with half of that staying in South Korea. Pretty pathetic. What were they thinking? Surely they must have known the car was as good as it is? And at the price point they can sell it for (presumably profitably too) it would have sold hundreds of thousands of units per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

With the demand being far greater than Hyundai expected I wonder could this push out the bigger battery version that was apparently due as early as next year.

Assuming the cost per kWh is constantly decreasing and the demand remains for the 28kWh version then why not just keep selling the 28kWh car with increasing margins over time.

I suppose it depends on the competition really, Leaf 2 will likely decide their next move. If the current gen Ioniq can maintain demand after the Leaf 2 is released then I can't see Hyundai being too pushed to release a bigger pack at least in the next 12 months. I guess they have a ~40kWh pack designed and ready to go and will do so when the market dictates.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

How do people find the Ioniq range in practice? We're looking for a new car but want to make sure it would suit- we live about 13km from work in Dublin City centre and drive or cycle depending on the weather. At weekends we'd travel maybe 200k once a month and head to Kerry about every 2 months. I've a few questions if anyone can help:

1. Is the ionic boot spacious enough for buggy, travel cot and bags?
    2. In terms of range is Dublin-Kerry feasible on a single charge? (We always stop for about 40-60 mins)
    3. Our house is heated by a heat pump and I don't think they suit night metering- is this a major issue in terms of cost?
    4. If anyone has found a garage that'll trade in a newly registered car so that we could sell ours privately I'd love a PM.

We currently have a 2l diesel from when I worked about 150km away but maintenance, tax and environmental costs are leading us to consider switching.

• Advertisement

1. Boot is not big, you will have to try that for yourself. Book an Ioniq for a free 24h test drive
    2. Where in Kerry? You can easily do Dublin to Tralee with one stop in Roscrea and you can drive at the speed limits everywhere. But don't expect to get a lot further than that unless you compromise (drive slowly)
    3.You can have a priority switch that if a big current drawing device (electric range cooker, heatpump, electric shower, etc.) comes on, the charging of your EV will temporarily be stopped. This is a cheap and easy solution, any sparks can fit it
    4. Always a better idea to sell your own car privately. Myself and others have found that some Hyundai dealer will take in any banger and give you €4,000 scrappage on it. And at a bit over €25k on the road, the Ioniq EV is superb value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Where are you based? I could show you my car and see it all in practice.

I did trip to RoK in April with it, full report is further down few threads or pages, worth the look if travel there regurarly. You would need 1, potentially 2 stops if u travel below or at 100kmh in good weather, or 120+kmh and charge in Portlaoise and Limerick FCPs.
    Do not see any issues with the trip

Daily range, real is 220km give or take 15 depending on your foot and temp outside

1. Boot is not big, you will have to try that for yourself. Book an Ioniq for a free 24h test drive
    2. Where in Kerry? You can easily do Dublin to Tralee with one stop in Roscrea and you can drive at the speed limits everywhere. But don't expect to get a lot further than that unless you compromise (drive slowly)
    3.You can have a priority switch that if a big current drawing device (electric range cooker, heatpump, electric shower, etc.) comes on, the charging of your EV will temporarily be stopped. This is a cheap and easy solution, any sparks can fit it
    4. Always a better idea to sell your own car privately. Myself and others have found that some Hyundai dealer will take in any banger and give you €4,000 scrappage on it. And at a bit over €25k on the road, the Ioniq EV is superb value for money

Gonna take a look at one tomorrow in Dublin- boot/sotage is the main concern as well as range. Our destination in Kerry is just about 10k outside tralee, showing as 160km from roscrea on google maps so I assume that's manageable provided we can charge it in Kerry overnight?

Also, how long does the fast charge take? Are there plans by ESB to roll out more of these? they seem very limited in terms of locations.

With the night rate the issue is that our heat pump can come on at any point in the day so the benefits from night rate don't suit our heating system.

Found a dealer who will trade any car as long as I register it so that seems good.

Mope, I'm based in Firhouse. Going to do a short test drive with the wife tomorrow and then do an overnight next week if we think it's a runner. Might get in touch after that to get your opinion.

Thanks for the helpful replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Our destination in Kerry is just about 10k outside tralee, showing as 160km from roscrea on google maps so I assume that's manageable provided we can charge it in Kerry overnight?

It will well manage it, yes. An overnight charge will bring you back.
    Also, how long does the fast charge take? Are there plans by ESB to roll out more of these? they seem very limited in terms of locations.

Fast charge to 80% is approx 30 mins or less.
    With the night rate the issue is that our heat pump can come on at any point in the day so the benefits from night rate don't suit our heating system.

When on night rate, your rate is halved and the day rate only goes up by about a cent. I wouldn't worry about the heat pump coming on. It's about €50 extra per year for the standing charge and its free to switch.

goz83 wrote: »
    It will well manage it, yes. An overnight charge will bring you back.

Fast charge to 80% is approx 30 mins or less.

When on night rate, your rate is halved and the day rate only goes up by about a cent. I wouldn't worry about the heat pump coming on. It's about €50 extra per year for the standing charge and its free to switch.

Sounds good! Will report back tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Picked up my new Ioniq today. Already put 200km on it! Very comfortable and smooth to drive so far.

Was chatting to the dealer about supply, he says currently sold out and next ones aren't due in the country until October 1st. :o Should help with resale value anyway!

Quick question for Ioniq owners; are your mats in the blue trim or copper trim? Mine are in blue, but I would have figured there'd be a copper trim to match the EV interior...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Congrats and happy motoring.

Congrats, good to see more electrics on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

mat has blue trim , rock on Ioniq Ranger ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Ballylad

Hi, getting Ioniq in couple of weeks, did the 24hr test drive a while back, have been reading relevant posts regarding same on boards. Can someone that has been driving Ioniq a while explain to me what is best way to use the regenerative braking, i understand you have 3 different levels;
    Which is best one for eco driving mode?
    Should you use paddle to change level regularly while driving?
    Do you try to brake using just the regenerative braking at junctions etc?
    Is the most severe level practical in terms of every day mixed driving (urban, short trips)?
    Any advice much appreciated thnks

Best advise here is to just drive it and not worry about it unless you need to go on a long trip. The regen is 3 times stronger than in the Leaf for instance so that alone will slow you down quiet quickly.

For efficiency you should drive in a way that involves less braking to begin with. Use 0 regen setting and coast on the energy you've already consumed and brake only when you must. If you prefer one pedal driving then adjust regen to your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Ballylad wrote: »
    Should you use paddle to change level regularly while driving?
    Do you try to brake using just the regenerative braking at junctions etc?
    Is the most severe level practical in terms of every day mixed driving (urban, short trips)?
    Any advice much appreciated thnks

There is NO DIFFERENCE in energy balance between braking with 'regen' and braking with the brake pedal. The regen strength applied when the throttle is released is just a preference, slight press on the brake pedal works the same as increased regen setting.

To answer the question - NO, don't touch the regen strength while driving. Set it to your preferred value (mine would be minimal regen) and forget about it.

IMHO it is a gimmick - they had the paddles developed for hybrid and wanted to use them somehow in the electric. It is brilliant for sales, but adds very little value overall. And playing with the regen setting adds to drivers distraction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If the car can't work for you while driving normally then I wouldn't buy tbh.
    I never drive in eco mode, never use regen mode and just drive like normal.

Yes, my kWh consumption is higher than the Die Hards here at 16.9kwh but the car comfortable does what I need.

Get the car and drive it as normal as possible and then see if/how you have to adjust.

One thing I will say about the EV, is that that is has made me more aware of my driving and I've tended to drive slower since I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

3. Our house is heated by a heat pump and I don't think they suit night metering- is this a major issue in terms of cost?

I don't know where you got that impression from.

If you have a heat pump, regardless of having an EV or not, you should be on night rate. Its free to switch to night rate. The daytime rate is about 1c more but the night rate is half price. Standing charge goes up €50/yr. If you use about 3kWh on average per night it pays for itself.

Heat Pump systems are meant to come on and off throughout the day and night. Therefore night rate will be worth it to you. Add in an EV to the mix and you will be using another 10-20kWh per night so night rate is an absolute no-brainer. As I said, you should have it anyway since you have a heat pump.

KCross wrote: »
    I don't know where you got that impression from.

If you have a heat pump, regardless of having an EV or not, you should be on night rate. Its free to switch to night rate. The daytime rate is about 1c more but the night rate is half price. Standing charge goes up €50/yr. If you use about 3kWh on average per night it pays for itself.

Heat Pump systems are meant to come on and off throughout the day and night. Therefore night rate will be worth it to you. Add in an EV to the mix and you will be using another 10-20kWh per night so night rate is an absolute no-brainer. As I said, you should have it anyway since you have a heat pump.

Ohh cool, that sounds good- always thought night rate meant significantly higher day rate, never realised it was only a cent so will look at switching.

Checked out the Ioniq today, very impressed, still some concerns about boot space but we're going to do an overnight this week. Seems like range wise it's a good fit for the driving we do and running cost will save a lot vs our 2l diesel!

• Advertisement

Unusual combo at my local fast free juice station

419546.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Ah here. You live locally, no need to be there at peak times causing a queue (Fri & Sun evenings).

It's a Saturday evening :p

There was no queue. i3 was there when I got there, slow charging on AC. Owner not around. I then charged CCS. Then Model X arrived - Tesla employee. Model X can charge either AC or Chademo with adapter (which he had) in theory, but in practice the i3 was blocking him both ways. Model X can not charge on CCS. I left first, but that was no good to the Model X obviously...

Model X didn't need to charge either, he was just doing a survey of chargers in Ireland.

Apologies, still on US time. But my point still stands. No need to be there when you live down the road. I was over there today on business but didn't charge.

So in your opinion no one is allowed to charge at a FCP unless they really "need" it?

I live about 2km from there. And you do really need to charge there while you live in the next village, 5km up the road, but that's ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

The Tesla looks lovely, very sleek.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭woppers

Some details about the new Leaf. If you're going to watch the video, which I don't recommend, skip on to 1 minute 49 seconds. The start of it is nonsense.

http://pushevs.com/2017/06/09/new-details-2018-nissan-leaf/

Edit: Sorry that the link isn't clickable. Boards loads in the responsive site mode and I don't have the text formatting options.

So in your opinion no one is allowed to charge at a FCP unless they really "need" it?

I live about 2km from there. And you do really need to charge there while you live in the next village, 5km up the road, but that's ok?

As I said in another post I don't charge there at all, I charge at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The Tesla looks lovely, very sleek.

Might be the wide angle - but it looks as tall as the two other cars. Not very SUV like...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I seen it in the flesh at the energy show. It has presence, no doubt about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement