Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

I need to drive from Monaghan to Dublin and then on down the M7/M8

Is that route ok or, should I just extend my stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

gavkm27 wrote: »
    Near Moycullen, Galway 167m ASL, more on my Instagram stories @soulogav

Gorgeous. Lucky you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

No it's kildare town, wife has just spoke to her mom in kildare town and she said it's grand snow gone.

Ah didn’t know that
    Scratch my earlier advice so caller !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Wet snizzle here in West Clare, some settling on windows and car tops, getting heavier, come on I say!
    Great snow in the Burren, kids delighted ☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

proper big flakes starting to fall now, heaviest the snow has been yet.

Temperature now 0.1 after being near 4C at 5am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭rumar

One lane on m6 from Galway to Dublin. Must be a foot of snow in the right hand lane. Don't drive is my advice. Tolls should open too as there is a huge queue now at the toll bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭giveitholly

kod87 wrote: »
    proper big flakes starting to fall now, heaviest the snow has been yet.

Temperature now 0.1 after being near 4C at 5am

Do u mind me asking what side of Thurles you live,have to work tomorrow on the upperchurch side

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

About 3 inches of snow here this morning 5 miles south of Tuam, it was a lovely drive to work in Ballindine in Mayo at 8am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Snowline in north Wicklow is only a mile west of n11 at kilpeddar
    Changes from nothing to loads very quickly
    Cars getting stuck I’m told

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Light Snow Limerick City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There’s at least an inch on the ground in Athlone and it’s still snowing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Snowline in north Wicklow is only a mile west of n11 at kilpeddar
    Changes from nothing to loads very quickly
    Cars getting stuck I’m told

And 4x4s struggling on the Gap. Looks like an ice sheet under the snow.

https://twitter.com/DWMRT/status/939806649971290112

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

Lots of snow Carlow/Kilkenny area. Surprised it’s staying. Was rainy so hard earlier in the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Bunclody co Carlow . Winter wonderland ! Sent in from my brother

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Well unfortunately we lost the battle with marginality here in S.Kildare. it was lookimg good for awhile with a decent covering and heavy snow around 5-7am but since then just sleet. I think my biggest issue became lack of heavy precip, zooming in on S.Kildare on Netweather and since 8am there has been an amazingly unlucky small pocket of dry which we teetered on the very edge of hence the 2 hours of drizzle we just had.

Less than 5 minutes to my south and a thick blanket of snow still there. You have to marvel at these things rather than be too downtrodden!

EDIT: Just to say, some of the model output yesterday evening in the nowcast situation turned out to incredibly accurate. Several hi res models totally ruled Kildare out of the risk zone bar some extremeties. Very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Snowing steadily in Waterford city. Grass barely visible. Unexpected!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Delboy2015

Snow has stopped pretty much in South Roscommon.

8cm @ 90m ASL

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Still raining and around 6 degrees here in Cork City, read one or two people posting about a chance for cork getting some, but that would be northish cork if I am correct? Or should I be getting excited for some of the white gold like Waterford!

Keep the pics coming guys, looks amazing up the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Nothing but a damp day in Tallaght, I'll live in hope for future events. 15km inland, 98m asl.

My holidays start on Tuesday so I may hike up the gap with a couple of my mountain men!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

How much snow is there up in Roundwood, thinking of heading up there later with the kids?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yellow warning out now for Southern countries.
    Basically everywhere bar Cork even Kerry gets a mention.
    I bet my bottom dollar Cork will see at least a covering later

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sjoyce87

Anyone idea what the roads are like heading up North?? The Downpatrick area?? I'd imagine there fine ?? Haven't seen anything from a quick Google

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Very wet all night here on the Meath Westmeath border disappointment is an understatement!Pity it was so knife edge but the winter is long yet!Roads are going to be lethal once a freeze kicks in tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Still raining and around 6 degrees here in Cork City, read one or two people posting about a chance for cork getting some, but that would be northish cork if I am correct? Or should I be getting excited for some of the white gold like Waterford!

Keep the pics coming guys, looks amazing up the country!

I think all of county Cork will see some snow this afternoon, early for the north and later on for the south, towards sunset probably, as the incoming low dives south and pulls in the colder air. At some point the whole frontal zone will begin to dry out but you will probably at least see some snow and get traces on the ground. Further north, 2 to 5 cm potential as it will start earlier and last longer.

There will be dry slots developing so not certain of 100% coverage with this, sure we'll find out with many reports one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

I’m confused is Kildare village not near Laois?
    Never been but always thought that it was near enough to Rathdowney?

Kildare village is in Kildare town. I’m in Sallins and no snow. No snow in Newbridge either. Not sure where the snow/rain line is but looks to be somewhere south of the village.

Delboy2015 wrote: »
    Snow has stopped pretty much in South Roscommon.

8cm @ 90m ASL
    Yes, very light here just outside Athlone, ground temperatures still appear to be quite high as I can see the bottom of the snow layer meting where it has landed on concrete and solid surfaces. The snow on top of the grass is much deeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Icy rain/sleet falling no here now snowing quite heavily near Carrick on Suir heading towards Waterford. It’s a thoroughly miserable day here.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭smileyme1984

Both lanes operating eastwards after Athlone on Galway - Dublin route. Near Kinnegad turnoff and both lanes both ways seem clear.

Got to hand it to the people out working to keep roads open and traffic moving, never knew we had so many snow ploughs in the country let alone on one route...

Green fields everywhere now at Kinnegad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Raining in Limerick after a tiny flurry of snow

Zero chance of sticking unless there is a major freeze. Heavy rainfall overnight

Advertisement