Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Walked up Croghan Mountain to about 550 meters asl and had to turn back in driving snow and poor Visibility
    Walking access is at the Raheen wind farm about a 10 minute drive from rainy Arklow
    The entrance is about 350 metres asl
    Loads of photos which I’ll add later but here’s two
    The first one is from the entrance looking towards the mountain
    The 2nd is of one of the wind mills

At that stage visibility was good but the weather really closed in an hour later and up at the highest point ,(snow there a good 8 inches)we walked to at that stage all that was missing was the track machine from the film the Shining and someone shouting... here’s....Johnny :D

Those trees in the second one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

WRF-NMM showing a wintry mix of showers pushing down across the country early tomorrow morning - possibly lifting the frost in places by dawn...

nmm_uk1-1-17-0.png?10-17

the Slush is starting to get very crunchy around here now, freezing hard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

cyclops999 wrote: »
    If the roads in the rest of Westmeath are anything like Athlone and in freezes tonight the Dept of Education should make an early call on school closures tomorrow,

That would be down to each individual school to make the call since the conditions are so localised

• Registered Users Posts: 9,374 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the compacted snow is frozen already here, the melt water is starting to freeze in castlebar. could be fun trying to get out of the estate tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Left exhausted after that effort for the South.
    Snizzle and nothing else.
    Great for parts of the country but for Cork and Dublin it's a case of.......NEXT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

WRF-NMM showing a wintry mix of showers pushing down across the country early tomorrow morning - possibly lifting the frost in places by dawn...

nmm_uk1-1-17-0.png?10-17

Well should freeze hard,already at -0.4c here,if I get any precip in the morning I would be pretty pis**d if it wasn't snow. I presume they are the showers moving into scotland now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Some images here of the Sally Gap. Lots more if you click on the link.

https://twitter.com/IrelandSkycam/status/939910336098037766

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Snow frozen here in Newport, Mayo. Road to Castlebar was closed due to a 3 car collision, nobody hurt afaik. Tomorrow will be interesting to say the least. Anyway yer all probably sick of my pics by now so here's the last, sunset over snowy Croagh Patrick :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

-4c few miles from athenry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Dunmore Co GalwayIMAG2833_zpsaq10tg2i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

TuamIMAG10021_zpsuudap7fj.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Some more photos from up around 600 metres on Croghan mountain,10 minutes drive inland from Arklow Co. Wicklow today

The weather had really closed in at that point around 4pm as a streamer moved in from the Irish Sea,it was snowing hard and visibility got very poor forcing us to abandon plans for the summit

Last one looks like an abandoned car but it’s actually an upended tree :D

A good 8 inches plus and drifting up there
    Absolute paradise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Left exhausted after that effort for the South.
    Snizzle and nothing else.
    Great for parts of the country but for Cork and Dublin it's a case of.......NEXT!!

Unless it's from the north or east it rarely works out for cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Lovely to see all your photos - some magical shots!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

The photos are lovely,

Now where are the coldest parts of the country predicted to be? I can see traffic being a nightmare tomorrow morning especially in the midlands and west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

While I'm so disappointed and upset the north east didn't get any snow I'm delighted to see good snowfall for the areas that got it. What a fantastic start to winter :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Sleety snowy grauple mix now here near Arklow from an Irish sea shower

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Autochange wrote: »
    The photos are lovely,

Now where are the coldest parts of the country predicted to be? I can see traffic being a nightmare tomorrow morning especially in the midlands and west.

435896.png

-9c across much of central and southwestern Laois.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

We're at -3 now in Newport, about 85m asl according to the Garmin and mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Sleety snowy grauple mix now here near Arklow from an Irish sea shower

Any intensity in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Limerick hovering between 0c and 2c.

Plenty of surface water remains.

If it dips below freezing, black ice could become a problem.

However it doesn't have the feel of a cold night.... yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

I just walked home from town it's definitely cold out there. My hands are almost locked with the cold

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Very impressive snow fall for Wicklow. That's just about at 2010 levels. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

On journey up to Dublin, some good falls on the Knockmealdowns, a dusting from Cahir northwards, and some proper snow cover into Kilkenny and Laois. From Monasterevin east however it was completely snowless. All in all most impressive snow cover I’ve seen since 2010 really. :) Hope there’s more to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

-2 in Sligo Town right now. So glad it didn't snow now, would dread that drive in the morning other wise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Danno wrote: »
    435896.png

-9c across much of central and southwestern Laois.

Thanks for that. Can you post the link of the site you are using please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

I had cleared my car of snow (apart from a bit under the wipers) around 4:00 this evening and the snow was still soft. When I went out to start the car around 4:45, the wipers were frozen solid to the snow!!!

So be careful out there. Once the temperatures dip, they seem to be dipping in a big hurry..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

-3 here, south Cavan, looks like its going to be a big freeze tonight,just seen a gritter go past on the main road, that's comforting anyway.

Advertisement