Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 3.0

Options
1328329330331332334»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Zzippy wrote: »
    Was chatting to my sister-in-law's husband lately, he's a barrister and did some work for a guy who mines bitcoin for a living a couple of years ago. The guy actually suggested paying him in bitcoin and he agreed just for the novelty of it. Think his modest bill of about €400 was worth 6-10 grand when I was chatting to him a cpl weeks ago, depending on the current value. Of course, it could be worth €400 again tomorrow...

I know someone who sold 13 of them for something in the hundreds a few years back when he needed some cash.

At their peak, they'd have been worth well over $200k. It's not something he likes to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭b.gud

Buer wrote: »
    I know someone who sold 13 of them for something in the hundreds a few years back when he needed some cash.

At their peak, they'd have been worth well over $200k. It's not something he likes to discuss.

Show him this it might make him feel better https://twitter.com/bitcoin_pizza

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

stephen_n wrote: »
    It’s a strange one, there will be countless hours of debate on Tv and radio for the next four months. Yet 99% of people have already made up their minds and won’t be swayed. That’s a lot of debate to influence a very small section of society.

most polls actually show that about 15% are still undecided.

also, past experience says that people tend to turn a little more conservative when actually voting.... so lots still to play for on both sides.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It’s a strange one, there will be countless hours of debate on Tv and radio for the next four months. Yet 99% of people have already made up their minds and won’t be swayed. That’s a lot of debate to influence a very small section of society.

I think more people are undecided then you would think. They're just not very vocal about it.

Buer wrote: »
    I have friends working in IT and finance who have made a very tidy profit on cryptocurrency but it's a hugely volatile of investing.

I dabble in it for fun, but I consider it utter and complete gambling and am very ready to lose everything I put in. It's not an investment at all and anyone who thinks it is is off their rocker. It isn't even clear whether its a currency or a commodity or something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

sydthebeat wrote: »
    most polls actually show that about 15% are still undecided.

also, past experience says that people tend to turn a little more conservative when actually voting.... so lots still to play for on both sides.
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    I think more people are undecided then you would think. They're just not very vocal about it.

I suppose that may be the case, but I’ve never actually met anyone undecided on this issue. Either strongly or quietly, everyone I’ve ever talked to has an opinion on this one. Sometimes surprising to me, but none the less, no one has said they don’t know.

The notion of people voting more conservatively when it came time to vote was mooted for the marriage referendum too, but didn’t seem to happen.

Though I guess there is a grey area between the medical need and abortion on demand, that may account for those 15% of undecideds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

I suppose that may be the case, but I’ve never actually met anyone undecided on this issue. Either strongly or quietly, everyone I’ve ever talked to has an opinion on this one. Sometimes surprising to me, but none the less, no one has said they don’t know.

The notion of people voting more conservatively when it came time to vote was mooted for the marriage referendum too, but didn’t seem to happen.

Though I guess there is a grey area between the medical need and abortion on demand, that may account for those 15% of undecideds.

I've always said that if and when a referendum was called, I'd base how I voted on what the actual question being asked was. I've hmm'd and hawed over what 'side' I'm on and at the moment I'm leaning towards repeal but ultimately it'll be the question for me. Kinda don't want to be associated with side though.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

nope, the question was simple
    Will you vote to change the Constitution so the Government can legislate for abortion on request up to 12 weeks, or will you vote not to change the Constitution

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/poll

not correct either

the MRBI poll in march 2015 had the yes vote at 74 % ... it passed at 62%, proving people turn more conservative when closer to the vote.

DGRulz wrote: »
    I've always said that if and when a referendum was called, I'd base how I voted on what the actual question being asked was. I've hmm'd and hawed over what 'side' I'm on and at the moment I'm leaning towards repeal but ultimately it'll be the question for me. Kinda don't want to be associated with side though.

The question is going to be around repealing the amendment and replacing it with legislation. The content of that legislation will be suggested by the government but ultimately it will be whatever the Dail wants. That is the point of removing it from the constitution. They can also change it as many times as they want going forward...

Technically I suppose they could end up with the status quo but it would be legislative rather than constitutional. It's actually far from certain what the Dail can get passed I think, the leadership seem to be out of kilter with their members in some cases.

Anyhoos, I guess we can't get too far into it here. As a general point, if serious spending on referenda/elections didn't impact them somehow then it wouldn't be done. I think a lot of people are less set in their ways then they generally think they are and if certain narratives become the focus then subtle shifts can happen.

I know an awful lot of people who voted yes to gay marriage without a second thought but are voting no to repealing the 8th.

The marriage referendum held 62% of the vote which was decisive but not purely one sided.

The 8th amendment referendum is going to be MUCH closer and any poll that says repeal is beyond 62% is bollox in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Hamsters complaining. New off-topic thread is here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement