Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CEX what are they like for trading in ?

Options
  • 16-11-2013 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Hi guys CEX has just opened locally for me and i am wondering what are they like for trading in to ?

As i have quite a lot of OLD PS 2 games that i cant sell and they give about 1 euro cash each

What are they like for taking over say 40 games at one time ?

Also are they hard to get cash from ?

Thanks lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They're fine. Good prices compared to other shops but you have to be trading in new or newish games to get anything decent. You may have to settle for €30 or so for the PS2 stuff but they'll most likely take it.

CEX are so much better than the likes of Gamestop for their trade-in rates. Plus the rates hold for a lot longer than they do elsewhere. They do sell old Xbox and PS2 games, but you'll be lucky to get a few euro for them ... anywhere really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I know for a fact that i wont get much for them but looked up every one of there site and a euro each is well worth as being trying to sell the games for over a year at this stage LoL so anything is good

Also had a look a few xbox 360 games that i have had for years are also worth 8 euros each :O some since 2007 LoL i be taking that LoL

For what i have to trade in there worth over 100 euros cash anyway every little helps towards the PS4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Some of their prices would surprise you. I got 5-8 euro each for my original xbox games. 10 quid for an old controller. They even took random old memory cards.

They'll also take any game as long as it's boxed & not scratched. You don't even need manuals

I'd recommend them. Gave (mostly) good prices for a load of my games and dvds, and very decent guys working in there too.

• Advertisement

You do realize that they aren't a phone shop? They are a general goods store, who sells games, DVDs, and numerous other products alongside electronics. You can't expect them to be "skilled" in electronics. If you want that, go somewhere else. Also why on Earth would they buy a dead iPhone from you - there's no way they can sell it on without replacing parts, which just be of any use to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

He means he bought a phone from CEX, and the battery died. They wouldn't exchange as they don't cover batteries.

Ah. I didn't get that part at all. Never mind. Thought they meant that they tried to take a dead iPhone to CEX to try and sell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

mm1980 wrote: »
    Took dead iPhone bough from cex to store in Galway, Ireland and staff could do no more than say 'could not turn it on'. Went to other phone store who identified dead battery as problem within 30 seconds, shop said did not cover battery even though it was only 6 weeks since bought phone for 500 euro. Had to take it back to other shop and it cost me 40 bucks. Staff unskilled but polite in cex, expect some electronics knowledge at least!
    I worked in CeX and it was disappointing that the staff were sometimes clueless when it came to technology, I ended up being the unofficial 'go-to' for a lot of problems. There's a lot of internal stuff I'd rather not talk about here. Generally speaking the staff try their best but when you're handling such a wide range of hardware you really should know your stuff or at least be trained accordingly. Never buy HDDs there, would advise against other delicate hardware like CPU's also, seen colleagues holding them all over without a second thought.

http://ie.webuy.com/
    You can see if what you're trading in pops up here, they have credit/cash trade in rates.

mm1980 wrote: »
    Took dead iPhone bough from cex to store in Galway, Ireland and staff could do no more than say 'could not turn it on'. Went to other phone store who identified dead battery as problem within 30 seconds, shop said did not cover battery even though it was only 6 weeks since bought phone for 500 euro. Had to take it back to other shop and it cost me 40 bucks. Staff unskilled but polite in cex, expect some electronics knowledge at least!
    What you have to understand is they're not a phone repair shop, if you give them a phone with a dead battery they can't really do anything with it themselves. They don't cover battery issues but test phones they take in on every other count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Hi guys CEX has just opened locally for me and i am wondering what are they like for trading in to ?

As i have quite a lot of OLD PS 2 games that i cant sell and they give about 1 euro cash each

What are they like for taking over say 40 games at one time ?

Also are they hard to get cash from ?

Thanks lads

You can go to the website and find out the trade/cash price before you go in to the shop, quite handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Do they give you cash in-store for trade-ins or store credit?
    Is there an option for store credit instead of cash?

We have two large cardboard boxes of DVDs in the house that we were trying to flog before Xmas - getting cash for them and making space would be pretty awesome. They're all in original boxes, some are boxsets and collecable editions, some still have the wrapping on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I'm pretty sure he got his answer elsewhere 3 years ago :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Personally I'm boycotting them since they're trying to flog the now extinct mini-nes for €275

https://ie.m.webuy.com/product-detail/gaming/microconsoles/nintendo-classic-mini-nes-boxed/04549634nm01#.WP9T4IHhTYU

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Personally I'm boycotting them since they're trying to flog the now extinct mini-nes for €275

https://ie.m.webuy.com/product-detail/gaming/microconsoles/nintendo-classic-mini-nes-boxed/04549634nm01#.WP9T4IHhTYU

Or just don't buy it & tell your friends not to buy it at that price? :confused:

supply and demand. they are as said fair compared to gamestop etc on buying so can't begrudge them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Opposite here. CEX not worth mention at all.
    Have always got more on adverts in shorter space if time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Been boycotting them ever since they refused to take back a 360 title (in part-ex) which they'd sold to me in the first place, on account that the disc hub had a hairline crack (squint really hard to see it), when they'd sold it to me in that condition in the first place!

I hadn't bothered to check the disc when I bought it (staff always put the disc in the box and hand the shut box over at the checkout after payment) and never actually bothered to play the game/take the disc out during my <short> ownership of it, it was literally in the exact same condition they'd sold it to me.

Moral of the story: check and double-check, closely, what you're buying at the time of purchase.

For the rest of it...here in the UK at least, grossly overpriced, but convenient enough to offload stuff that gets no bites on eBay/Shpock/other online resources like your Adverts.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Toying with using them for a few boxes of DVD's I want to offload. Tried the adverts route but just so much more hassle then its worth organising to sell one or two and people messing around and taking ages to get sorted.

Just go in with a trolley with the boxes and tell them I'll be back in an hour :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

At 10c a disc you be minted mate, could even put a deposit on a curry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 weakid13

TheDoc wrote: »
    Toying with using them for a few boxes of DVD's I want to offload. Tried the adverts route but just so much more hassle then its worth organising to sell one or two and people messing around and taking ages to get sorted.

Just go in with a trolley with the boxes and tell them I'll be back in an hour :D

Just so you know you have to stay in the store while they go through the dvds. So bring coffee and a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Why????

In case YOU run off on YOUR own gear!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bfd222

Anybody got experience of sending stuff into them as opposed to taking it to a store? Do they buy Microsoft software in store?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Bumping an old thread here. I want to trade a game in store today. What do I need to bring to open an account?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,090 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Photo id and proof of address should be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

You just need the ID the proof of address isnt needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Simpsonsfan17

mrcheez wrote: »
    Bumping an old thread here. I want to trade a game in store today. What do I need to bring to open an account?

You'll need photo ID such as a passport, driver's licence, armed forces ID etc. They used to accept the Public Services card but I don't know if they still do.

I imagine no problem using store credit to order via the website?

A few Cex games I'm looking at not at my local store, and only online.

Is postage free/cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

mrcheez wrote: »
    I imagine no problem using store credit to order via the website?

A few Cex games I'm looking at not at my local store, and only online.

Is postage free/cheap?

Used to be, now they've made it so its 1.50 per item, which feels quite expensive. Also you've no idea what condition the items in, since the discs are often knackered, missing the genuine covers or boxes, wouldn't buy online from them myself.

• Advertisement

Used to be, now they've made it so its 1.50 per item, which feels quite expensive. Also you've no idea what condition the items in, since the discs are often knackered, missing the genuine covers or boxes, wouldn't buy online from them myself.

I just ended up selling to Gamestop in the end as they were offering €37 instead of €20! Wow. :)

But good info here in the meantime :)

Advertisement