Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Also wfh here.

Sometimes technology is a bad thing

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Came in to work. There are some utter idiots out there today. One person in a 4X4 nattering away on the mobile while negotiating an ice rink/road coming onto Leeson Street while some lad on a motorbike thought it was a good idea to take it up Leeson Street. The back of the bike sliding all over the place said otherwise. Then a lad decides to run out in front of traffic at a red man on the pedestrian crossing. Darwin for the lot of em.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

dregin wrote: »
    Came in to work. There are some utter idiots out there today. One person in a 4X4 nattering away on the mobile while negotiating an ice rink/road coming onto Leeson Street while some lad on a motorbike thought it was a good idea to take it up Leeson Street. The back of the bike sliding all over the place said otherwise. Then a lad decides to run out in front of traffic at a red man on the pedestrian crossing. Darwin for the lot of em.

Saw some moron belting down the M50 this morning in a little red hatchback. Easily doing over 100k and weaving in and out of traffic. Its not often I hope someone crashes but I really hope he/she does.

Thats a lie. I often hope people crash :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Town is somewhere between precarious and lethal. Snow gradually being compacted into frozen bumpy ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yeah. The urban four wheel drives are the worst. Plenty of traction as they're driving, leads them into a false sense of security until they hit the brakes and realise that they are now sitting in two and a half tonnes of hurtling metal. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Only had an evening clinic today and have just gotten an email telling me not to bother coming in :D

On the down side I've been up since 5 because some gob****e set off the building's fire alarm in the middle of the night and we had to evacuate into the -8 degree weather.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yeah. The urban four wheel drives are the worst. Plenty of traction as they're driving, leads them into a false sense of security until they hit the brakes and realise that they are now sitting in two and a half tonnes of hurtling metal. :(

The sooner non-farmers/equestrian types are banned from owning these things, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

My better half has to go into work later, no choice but to go in and only way to get there is drive, bit nervous about it :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

The sooner non-farmers/equestrian types are banned from owning these things, the better.

They're changing the rules from July as far as I know. No 5 seater jeeps will get the N1 commercial classification from then on. Can see sales plummeting/vanishing completely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Woke up at 6:30, looked outside and then checked the buses, e-mailed work to say I was looking at boards working from home. Put my hiking boots on a took the dog for a walk :D he loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

50 minute commute out to Meath took 1 hour and 45mins today. Some lethal conditions and even more lethal drivers who are not adjusting sufficiently. Scarily, some of the worst offenders are truckers behind the wheels of enough bulk to cause a massive accident.

Aaaaand schools are closed for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Aaaaand schools are closed for the week.

We've been told our building will be closed as well. So being self employed that means 2 days of no pay. Suppose it could be worse....I could be at home looking after the kids.
    Hang on...

• Administrators Posts: 53,480 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ad for that Stetsons + Stilletos show came on RTÉ there. This is what the nightclubs are like where mfceiling comes from. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Hard border please

• Administrators Posts: 53,480 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hard border please
    I think the video is actually from Monaghan or somewhere like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

awec wrote: »
    Ad for that Stetsons + Stilletos show came on RTÉ there. This is what the nightclubs are like where mfceiling comes from. :D

I actually saw that on tv at some stage last year. It's from some BBC NI show originally I think. My nordie step father was showing it to me after we got home from the pub for a couple, I thought I had had a dodgy pint and was having some bizzare fever dream.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

mfceiling wrote: »
    We've been told our building will be closed as well. So being self employed that means 2 days of no pay. Suppose it could be worse....I could be at home looking after the kids.
    Hang on...

Have you told the wife yet? There's still time... ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Any active directory admins here who could answer a quick question?

My ****ing sky fibre has no connection. Stuck in an apartment alone with no Internet other than my phone sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭b.gud

Stheno wrote: »
    Any active directory admins here who could answer a quick question?

The answer should probably be get a job where you don't have to work with AD :D

b.gud wrote: »
    The answer should probably be get a job where you don't have to work with AD :D

I work in a completely different area :) and had a numpty question :D

errlloyd wrote: »
    My ****ing sky fibre has no connection. Stuck in an apartment alone with no Internet other than my phone sucks.

Can you broadcast wifi and just get slower internet on the PC?

Dick's Sporting Goods in the US have decided to stop selling assault-type rifles in their stores.

They say that they haven't any faith in the current controls being effective, so have decided that this is the best way to 'not be part of the story'.

Very strong stance. Fair play to them.

errlloyd wrote: »

Can you broadcast wifi and just get slower internet on the PC?

I can use the USB cable to wire it, by my desktop has no WiFi card because cable is king!

It's just annoying, I wanna flick on Netflix and enjoy the evening, but that would rinse my data.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Dick's Sporting Goods in the US have decided to stop selling assault-type rifles in their stores.

They say that they haven't any faith in the current controls being effective, so have decided that this is the best way to 'not be part of the story'.

It's a marketing strategy to appeal to liberals who want gun control.

BUT, it's a huge development, because it's the first evidence (to me at least) that the liberal market is now big enough for a major chain to do something like this.

Maybe there is hope yet for America.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    It's a marketing strategy to appeal to liberals who want gun control.

BUT, it's a huge development, because it's the first evidence (to me at least) that the liberal market is now big enough for a major chain to do something like this.

Maybe there is hope yet for America.
    They're also sending a message to the legislators that they aren't doing enough. That's what's so strong about it. Very ballsy and even if there's a marketing strategy in there, it's a big statement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

And, in other news, 'Richard's' Sporting Goods (;) ;) ) has a special sale for March, with 50% off AR-15s, and a massive 75% off bump stocks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think its a bit unfair to label it as just a marketing strategy. Either way it is a pretty ballsy move given the absolute toxic environment around gun control over there. They are going to get an absolutely huge amount of **** over this. Fair play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I think its a bit unfair to label it as just a marketing strategy. Either way it is a pretty ballsy move given the absolute toxic environment around gun control over there. They are going to get an absolutely huge amount of **** over this. Fair play

Call me cynical, but I just don't see any major US corporation doing something good for its own sake. They'll have crunched the numbers on this, and predicted that the resulting goodwill amongst liberals will outweigh the backlash from conservatives. The mood on gun control is slowly changing in the US, and all you need to see are how how young people are responding to this latest tragedy to know that something will eventually happen. Dick's can now claim they were the first to act. It's a very long term play.

Cynical as I may be, I'm still happy to see this happen. It's a positive development for sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement