Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‪Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IX: The Last Jordi [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,982 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

So is anyone else considerably nervous about this one? As in, put a few quid on Sarries 1-12 at 3/1 to offset the devastation of losing nervous?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Neil3030 wrote: »
    So is anyone else considerably nervous about this one? As in, put a few quid on Sarries 1-12 at 3/1 to offset the devastation of losing nervous?

I would never get against Leinster. On one of those betting websites.

Which website was it, by the way? Just so I know to avoid it.

I would never get against Leinster. On one of those betting websites.

Which website was it, by the way? Just so I know to avoid it.

While you are morally prohibited access to such sites by your soul, I am legally prohibited access to such sites by my host nation's government. All I can tell you is that Oddschecker lists that price as available on Skybet. How up-to-date that is both unknown to me, and presumably irrelevant to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Neil3030 wrote: »

If Henshaw and Conan/SOB were available (hopefully Conan is) i would be be fairly confident.

Don't think Leinster can afford a slow start

• Subscribers Posts: 41,001 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I prefer the 7/5 on leinster 1-12

• Advertisement

In many respects this is England-under-Lancaster-light vs. England-under-Jones-light. I'd feel a lot more confident if we even get one of Seanie or Ruddock to play. I think we edge 9/10, and I'm happy enough with Ringer and Isa in midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

SOB, Ruddock and Conan all back training this week. Apparently Rhys is absolutely flying it. Putting in his best ever GPS figures at the moment. He’ll be hungry to win something after seeing the lads do the Slam. Could well be a big addition, not just from a playing perspective.

Apparently Nick McCarthy has been carrying a knee injury lately which might see him unfit for the weekend, which would rule out Lowe.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/european-cup/nick-mccarthy-fitness-could-decide-leinster-s-non-european-player-slots-1.3441228

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

molloyjh wrote: »
    SOB, Ruddock and Conan all back training this week. Apparently Rhys is absolutely flying it. Putting in his best ever GPS figures at the moment. He’ll be hungry to win something after seeing the lads do the Slam. Could well be a big addition, not just from a playing perspective.

Going by Lancaster's enthusiasm, they might be throwing Ruddock straight into the mix from the start. If they could do that and have Conan and Leavy alongside him with Murphy to come in, I'd take a lot of optimism from it.

It would be great to have a forward bench of McGrath, Tracy, Porter, Ryan/Toner and Murphy to bring onto the field between 50 and 60 minutes.

With our back three injuries, I think the temptation to start Lowe is too much. I'd go with himself and Daly, I reckon. McFadden will probably start if available, though. Adam Byrne looked sharp at the weekend. I'd be happy enough to see him in the 23 also.

EDIT: Forget about Lowe if the above post proves accurate. Critical that McFadden is fit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hopefully McFadden is fit becausd Lowe and Daly are both left wingers - pretty sure Daly plays primarily left.

Ofcourse wings can switch it up but you’re not getting the best out of them playing then out of position. Lowe is a good example, he’s so strong off that peg his step, power and kick will be nullified.

It’s also pretty important for restarts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Looking at stats down the years, the home team has won their quarter final over 80% of the time (since 2010, 32 games, 26 home wins)

No away team has won a quarter final in the last 2 seasons.

Worryingly, the last team to win an away quarter were Saracens, who have managed to win an away quarter final twice (also considering they beat Munster away in the Semi last year also)

So while home advantage is an obvious bonus, Saracens are the most likely team to take a home scalp. They don't seem to care where they play.

Combining this with the fact they're an obvious quality side who love to dominate sides and wear them down, I am very worried.

The flip side of this is Leinster are the obvious form team. We've beaten the leaders in 3 different leagues home and away this year.

We have a pack that Saracens will find incredibly difficult to dominate. 5 of the potential pack starters this weekend are just off the back of starting in a historic game against Twickenham, combine this with Fardy, potentially SOB and Ruddock and that is a unit that any team in the world, test or otherwise, will struggle to get the upper hand on.

Yes I am worried about this weekend, but Saracens fans are definitely in the same boat. And if they're not, they really should be

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

So going by media reports, both SOB and Ruddock could be fit. With Ruddock possibly fit enough to start, Jordi might even miss out on the bench spot. Unless of course Conan doesn’t make it then we could see Leavy/ SOB or Jordi/ Ruddock, with either SOB or Jordi on the bench depending on who starts. That would be a nice selection headache to have.

That Kolpak ruling is a pain in the arse, if Ferg isn’t fit we are in trouble. Though ROL can slot in there if ISA is fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

If it’s a choice of Jordi or SOB for the bench I’d almost be tempted to go for Jordi. Yes, SOB is world class, but I can’t help but feel he’s been held together with glue currently and has so little game time under his belt, where as Jordi has been motoring along nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

.ak wrote: »
    If it’s a choice of Jordi or SOB for the bench I’d almost be tempted to go for Jordi. Yes, SOB is world class, but I can’t help but feel he’s been held together with glue currently and has so little game time under his belt, where as Jordi has been motoring along nicely.

End of the day SOB is SOB and is still a class above all the rest, I’d imagine it depends on the fitness assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

.ak wrote: »

I don't think there's even an almost about it, for me. SOB is class but, as you say, he breaks from a gust of wind.

If it's a call between an in form Jordi Murphy or a returning SOB who has had a few breakdowns in the past year, I'd gladly take Murphy particularly given the fitness concerns of Ruddock and Conan.

I don't want to be in a situation where Ruddock/Conan exits early on and we're hoping SOB can hold it together for an hour. I'd like him to get at least 2 games under his belt elsewhere before throwing him in to a game of this importance.

The other 4 back row players are more than good enough to beat Saracens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Yeah we've more than enough, if we lose the backrow will be the least of our worries. Saracens are likely missing 2/3s of their own backrow

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭gleesonisgod

Buer wrote: »
    I don't think there's even an almost about it, for me. SOB is class but, as you say, he breaks from a gust of wind.

If it's a call between an in form Jordi Murphy or a returning SOB who has had a few breakdowns in the past year, I'd gladly take Murphy particularly given the fitness concerns of Ruddock and Conan.

I don't want to be in a situation where Ruddock/Conan exits early on and we're hoping SOB can hold it together for an hour. I'd like him to get at least 2 games under his belt elsewhere before throwing him in to a game of this importance.

The other 4 back row players are more than good enough to beat Saracens.

I think Wales made a similar mistake though by playing Navidi and Moriarty ahead of Tips and Faletau. If you're world class players are fit then you play them IMO, doesn't matter if the other choices are in form.

I'm sure people would have been calling for Chris Farrell to start vs Scotland as well had he not gotten injured.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Looking at stats down the years, the home team has won their quarter final over 80% of the time (since 2010, 32 games, 26 home wins)

No away team has won a quarter final in the last 2 seasons.

Worryingly, the last team to win an away quarter were Saracens, who have managed to win an away quarter final twice (also considering they beat Munster away in the Semi last year also)

So while home advantage is an obvious bonus, Saracens are the most likely team to take a home scalp. They don't seem to care where they play.

Combining this with the fact they're an obvious quality side who love to dominate sides and wear them down, I am very worried.

The flip side of this is Leinster are the obvious form team. We've beaten the leaders in 3 different leagues home and away this year.

We have a pack that Saracens will find incredibly difficult to dominate. 5 of the potential pack starters this weekend are just off the back of starting in a historic game against Twickenham, combine this with Fardy, potentially SOB and Ruddock and that is a unit that any team in the world, test or otherwise, will struggle to get the upper hand on.

Yes I am worried about this weekend, but Saracens fans are definitely in the same boat. And if they're not, they really should be

Form from pre 6 nations is worthless though at the moment.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wonder if these lads are actually fit or if Leinster are painted into a corner somewhat with injuries and are trying to avoid sounding like they’ve to field guys they would prefer not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

awec wrote: »
    Wonder if these lads are actually fit or if Leinster are painted into a corner somewhat with injuries and are trying to avoid sounding like they’ve to field guys they would prefer not to.

Possibly a little of both.

But these knockout games are win at all costs. Can't be holding players back at this stage if there's a sniff of them being fit I feel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

If O'brien is fit he starts for me. First because he's one of our best players and two because you don't want any question marks over a sub, start the guy who might break down.

Ruddock would be the unfortunate one to miss out if I was picking and all are available

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

SOB wont be fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I'd be starting O'Brien if he's fit. If the worst happens and 2 back rows are injured then Fardy shifts into the back row and your 2 starting locks play 80.

It will be interesting to see the combined injury stats across the pro14, Top 14 and Prem.

I can't remember a season where so many teams were rendered almost noncompetitive by the sheer volume of injuries. I'm going purely on my own perception which could be wide of the mark but this seems like one of the worst seasons in memory for squad depletion and to be fair Leinster haven't been hit nearly on the scale of the likes of Clermont or Wasps.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

The last few years SOB has almost specislised in getting himself fit just at the right time and delivering but this feels like too big an ask for me, when the alternative is Murphy it's a no brainer who to go with IMO. I think this type of game will be tailor made for him, it'll be a tactical battle and every player will need to be on their game, no player in Ireland is better than Murphy at quietly and efficiently fulfilling his role for his side.

I think Saracens will come and tackle for their lives, try to silence the crowd and hope their experience wins out in a nervy affair. Our kicking game will be key IMO which is why I'd be tempted to go with Byrne on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

It will be interesting to see the combined injury stats across the pro14, Top 14 and Prem.

I can't remember a season where so many teams were rendered almost noncompetitive by the sheer volume of injuries. I'm going purely on my own perception which could be wide of the mark but this seems like one of the worst seasons in memory for squad depletion and to be fair Leinster haven't been hit nearly on the scale of the likes of Clermont or Wasps.

Have they really been hit that much worse, or is Leinster's depth just so good that we don't notice as much?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Have they really been hit that much worse, or is Leinster's depth just so good that we don't notice as much?

Clermont's injury crisis was ridiculous. They had one fit half back for a good chunk of games.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Clermont's injury crisis was ridiculous. They had one fit half back for a good chunk of games.

For a game earlier in the season Wasps had 25 fit senior players to select from. Clermont and Wasps seem to be the notable ones, but plenty other teams have seriously depleted rosters.

Again I'm not basing this on anything other than perception, I've zero data to support anything but the number and length of injuries across all competitions appears to be very high this season.

Bazzo wrote: »

Didn't they get a medical joker in at 10 who then went and got injured as well at one stage? Their situation has been as bad as any I can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

molloyjh wrote: »
    Didn't they get a medical joker in at 10 who then went and got injured as well at one stage? Their situation has been as bad as any I can think of.

Yeah, Luke McAllister.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement