Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,788 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Augeo wrote: »
    I think in the majority of cases a new 4 bed semi is no where near the size of a 4 bed semi from the 60s etc.

Also I cannot understand the energy efficiency thing in Ireland. It's mild enough April to Aug to the extent most folk need little to no heating.

The ones in the articles are in D15 & "“The homes carry guide prices of between €300,000 and €500,000 at the moment. They are three and four bed units, but we won’t know an exact price until Friday morning,” one man explained. He joined the queue early yesterday morning"

Surely €500k would buy a very decent and spaciius second hand 4 bed D15 house.

yes most new 4 bed semis are much bigger than the 1200 sq foot with 'converted' garage or attic add ons of the 60s semis.

And you must be very lucky i have been in plenty of freezing old houses in ireland, its not pleasant.

also, the vast majority of old housing stock in ireland needs extensive modernising from electrics to layout alterations to decor. people dont have the money to do it, thats why new builds that generally meed their requirements are more popular

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The imbalance in the market is mental. Dublin looks to have gone completely bat**** insane. Outside Dublin is very different. Rents have gone mental again but property prices are still pretty low. You can get a decent 3-bedroom place 45 minutes from the airport for about €130k. Mortgage cost would be roughly half what the rent is. If only I had a deposit. :P

can you tell me where these 45 mins from Dublin 130k houses are, please don't say louth, may aswell be on the moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The imbalance in the market is mental. Dublin looks to have gone completely bat**** insane. Outside Dublin is very different. Rents have gone mental again but property prices are still pretty low. You can get a decent 3-bedroom place 45 minutes from the airport for about €130k. Mortgage cost would be roughly half what the rent is. If only I had a deposit. :P

Yeah, I looked at said 130k houses in Dundalk and when I asked for a viewing they were already under offer with approx. 30k over the asking. And not just one single example but a few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

one problem there though, you'd have to live in Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

id literally rather cut my own ear off , I used to fit cctv and did a number of installs in Dundalk, a lot of social problems up there, especially among gangs of teenagers, and a massive issue with criminality from a certain wandering section of society too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,576 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

can you tell me where these 45 mins from Dublin 130k houses are, please don't say louth, may aswell be on the moon
    Athboy.
    Navan. (Some areas).

Agree with you re Dundalk... I would not suggest it as a good starter home area unless you knew what you were getting in to. Lots of anti social issues in a couple of the (mostly)ex council estates.

"Can you tell me something please? But don't tell me."
    LirW wrote: »
    Yeah, I looked at said 130k houses in Dundalk and when I asked for a viewing they were already under offer with approx. 30k over the asking. And not just one single example but a few of them.
    Fair enough. There's places have been on daft for a long ass time now so mayhaps people are sitting in them.
    It is tough dealing with jealous people alright.
    id literally rather cut my own ear off , I used to fit cctv and did a number of installs in Dundalk, a lot of social problems up there, especially among gangs of teenagers, and a massive issue with criminality from a certain wandering section of society too.
    I'd guess the places with CCTV being installed are already the rough spots. Can't say I've noticed Dundalk being worse than elsewhere for the wanderers, usually only notice when the pubs are all closed. :P

ELM327 wrote: »
    Agree with you re Dundalk... I would not suggest it as a good starter home area unless you knew what you were getting in to. Lots of anti social issues in a couple of the (mostly)ex council estates.
    There's basically 2 estates to avoid completely and after that just hope you don't get a nightmare neighbour. :P

Fair enough. There's places have been on daft for a long ass time now so mayhaps people are sitting in them.

From my time looking there I noticed that everything that is without issues and in reasonable condition in Dundalk shifts fast, because it's still so much more reasonable and well enough connected to Dublin.
    I really loved a house up there but it had unsolved legal issues so while advertised, the EA wouldn't actually take any offers on it. Bank was the seller and they had it advertised but weren't in a position to sell because of said issues.
    Dundalk has a good few properties sitting around with legal issues that would only really suit cash buyers. If you're in the second hand market with everyone else it's tough knuckles.

That's my observation from a bit over a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It is tough dealing with jealous people alright

I've nothing against Dundalk the area, but I've spent the last 20 years commuting just over an hour to Dublin from North Wicklow, so 45 minutes from Dundalk to Dublin is a bit of a pipe dream.

• Advertisement

From my time looking there I noticed that everything that is without issues and in reasonable condition in Dundalk shifts fast, because it's still so much more reasonable and well enough connected to Dublin.
    I really loved a house up there but it had unsolved legal issues so while advertised, the EA wouldn't actually take any offers on it. Bank was the seller and they had it advertised but weren't in a position to sell because of said issues.
    Dundalk has a good few properties sitting around with legal issues that would only really suit cash buyers. If you're in the second hand market with everyone else it's tough knuckles.

That's my observation from a bit over a year ago.
    Yeah I've only being paying attention for about a year. There's a few places still up that if you weren't from the area you'd be disappointed at wasting a trip once you copped the issue. Wouldn't bother me though, things change and in certain cases can't get much worse. :P
    I've nothing against Dundalk the area, but I've spent the last 20 years commuting just over an hour to Dublin from North Wicklow, so 45 minutes from Dundalk to Dublin is a bit of a pipe dream.
    Fair enough. I commuted for college, I'll never do it again long-term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I can confidently predict the current crisis with shortage of housing, long queues to buy, homelessness and so on is only at a start in Dublin and will get far far worse. In fact it would take a decade of significant home building in Dublin to allow for a catch up. And we all know that probably won't happen. So a decade at least of this, people better be prepared for that.

Hopefully in time most will understand the folly of squeezing too many people into a city not yet ready for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think in the majority of cases a new 4 bed semi is no where near the size of a 4 bed semi from the 60s etc.

Not just inside either. Compare the postage stamp of a garden that new builds come with, to the gardens from older houses. The footprint of the property is often treble.

I can confidently predict the current crisis with shortage of housing, long queues to buy, homelessness and so on is only at a start in Dublin and will get far far worse. In fact it would take a decade of significant home building in Dublin to allow for a catch up. And we all know that probably won't happen. So a decade at least of this, people better be prepared for that.

Hopefully in time people will understand the folly of squeezing too many people into a city not yet ready for them.

Before that happens I do think that the traffic situation in West Dublin will completely break down. In West Dublin and west of it there are a lot of new houses and developments coming up with no proposals whatsoever to improve the infrastructure. It's already at a breaking point.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Before that happens I do think that the traffic situation in West Dublin will completely break down. In West Dublin and west of it there are a lot of new houses and developments coming up with no proposals whatsoever to improve the infrastructure. It's already at a breaking point.

I rented up in Hunterswood and Stocking Well back in 2006/7. Traffic getting out of there was insane then, but they've since added five or six really major housing developments up around there with almost zero improvement in infrastructure. Can't imagine how bad it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

+1

I was in chemnitz for a month in 2017, Austria for 2 months in 2017 ......... zero temptation to live anywhere near either locations.

I'm currently in austria again........ Ireland is a fine spot in comparison IMO

Why?

Without being specific, I can assume what I want about your rationale leading me to write you off as a good barometer as to the quality of living in either of those locations.

Not just inside either. Compare the postage stamp of a garden that new builds come with, to the gardens from older houses. The footprint of the property is often treble.

most new houses are much bigger, therefore your extension will:

a) cost you €€€€€
    b) eat up that massive garden :o

Cyrus wrote: »
    yes most new 4 bed semis are much bigger than the 1200 sq foot with 'converted' garage or attic add ons of the 60s semis.

And you must be very lucky i have been in plenty of freezing old houses in ireland, its not pleasant.

also, the vast majority of old housing stock in ireland needs extensive modernising from electrics to layout alterations to decor. people dont have the money to do it, thats why new builds that generally meed their requirements are more popular

Apologies ........ I live in a flat that's maybe 15 years old, I'm sure it's energy rating isn't great but it's incomparable to the older freezing homes you mention, I grew up in one of them :)

I was just commenting that the energy ratings on new homes is a tad OTT imo given the cost required to bring an older home up to that standard.

Regarding the bolded bit I would have been thinking of a genuine 4 bed semi rather than one as you describe.

Regarding the bolded bit I would have been thinking of a genuine 4 bed semi rather than one as you describe.

i may be wrong but when i was looking there werent many of those,

my search area was around blackrock as far as Dalkey,

i saw a load of old 4 bed houses with small foot prints and big gardens for absolutely mental money that would have needed 2-300k spent on them to get them to the standard of new house i ended up buying (in terms of layout, room sizes, finishes etc)

the new house was positively good value in comparison (i am speaking in relative terms)

Why?

Without being specific, I can assume what I want about your rationale leading me to write you off as a good barometer as to the quality of living in either of those locations.

I don't like the traditional food in either Austria or Germany, they make lovely soups and broths, the main courses are terrible IMO.

Swinger clubs don't appeal to me.

I don't like the climate, close to 40 deg in summer is far to warm for me and months of snow etc doesn't appeal. I'm not a fan of looking at piled up snow on the side of the road for weeks on end.

To be fair your barmometer is essentialy based on your girlfriend being happier living there :) Hardly a rationale that would lend itself to others.

Contrary to your experience I find there is also a class hierarchy based on what job you have, engineers referring to project managers as Mr xyz etc, like an ole English lord type rubbish.

I wouldn't have interest in skiing etc so proximity to the alps wouldn't bother me. I can fly to plenty of places from Cork or Dublin quite easily :)

I was also in Dresden of an evening in 2017 where the local were protesting about the amount of immigrants living there, there is quite a growing tension in many German cities now due to Angela's relatively open door at times to variuos asylum seekers.

Each to their own and I wish you all the best in your relocation there.

I have a German girlfriend so she would be happier living there for one!

For me, the lifestyle benefits include; Thermal spas/saunas are popular (so nice for relaxing and not seen as a luxury too), sports halls where it is possible to pay and use gyms, pools, badminton halls etc, open attitude to sex so swinger clubs are common, clubs in general for so many different activities, German food and beer is incredible (obviously not particularly healthy though!) and not expensive to go out, skiing in winter (having the Alps in the country, not just for skiing), actually having seasons like hot summers and snowy winters; being based on continental Europe so easy access to other European countries, there is a stable and more affordable rental situation, football is the main sport, transport systems and infrastructure is efficient and so reliable, there is so much culture within Germany (Oktoberfest, Christmas markets, white asparagus season, carnival, May festival are just some examples of the popular big festivals), incredible and extremely safe cities and towns, relaxed attitude in the South, inexpensive supermarkets and the people are fantastic (beautiful women, great sense of humour and very friendly and down to earth). ..........

• Advertisement

Contrary to your experience I find there is also a class hierarchy based on what job you have, engineers referring to project managers as Mr xyz etc, like an ole English lord

Concur with this one of our biggest customers is a large German company and there is a lot of that type of deference

I don't like the traditional food in either Austria or Germany, they make lovely soups and broths, the main courses are terrible IMO.

I don't like the climate, close to 40 deg in summer is far to warm for me and months of snow etc doesn't appeal. I'm not a fan of looking at piled up snow on the side of the road for weeks on end.

To be fair your barmometer is essentialy based on your girlfriend being happier living there :) Hardly a rationale that would lend itself to others.

Contrary to your experience I find there is also a class hierarchy based on what job you have, engineers referring to project managers as Mr xyz etc, like an ole English lord type rubbish.

I wouldn't have interest in skiing etc so proximity to the alps wouldn't bother me. I can fly to plenty of places from Cork or Dublin quite easily :)

I was also in Dresden of an evening in 2017 where the local were protesting about the amount of immigrants living there, there is quite a growing tension in many German cities now due to Angela's relatively open door at times to variuos asylum seekers.

All these reasons moved me over here. Minus the food, I miss the food.

Cyrus wrote: »
    i may be wrong but when i was looking there werent many of those,

my search area was around blackrock as far as Dalkey,

i saw a load of old 4 bed houses with small foot prints and big gardens for absolutely mental money that would have needed 2-300k spent on them to get them to the standard of new house i ended up buying (in terms of layout, room sizes, finishes etc)

the new house was positively good value in comparison (i am speaking in relative terms)

In relative terms I'm sure a new 4bed in d15 for 400/500k wouldn't be jumping out as value to you :)

In relative terms I'm sure a new 4bed in d15 for 400/500k wouldn't be jumping out as value to you :)

I’ll admit my knowledge of the d15 market isn’t wonderful new or used

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

Augeo wrote:
    Also I cannot understand the energy efficiency thing in Ireland. It's mild enough April to Aug to the extent most folk need little to no heating.

You'd change your mind very quickly if you lived in a passive A2 house with heat recovery. Same temperature 21 degrees all day and 19 all night if you wish, heating always on (on thermostats) and heating cost is so little that I don't even know, my gas bill is 70 euro for 2 winter months including heating hot water and lots of cooking from scratch. Thats on 3 years average.

I'm living temporarily in a tiger era MC mansion, it's a joke, feels like if I moved to 19th century

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

Augeo wrote:

Augeo wrote:

Augeo wrote:

Augeo wrote:

Augeo wrote:

Augeo wrote:

Augeo wrote:

Augeo wrote:

Augeo wrote:

Augeo wrote:
    To be fair your barmometer is essentialy based on your girlfriend being happier living there Hardly a rationale that would lend itself to others.

Augeo wrote:

Augeo wrote:
    I wouldn't have interest in skiing etc so proximity to the alps wouldn't bother me. I can fly to plenty of places from Cork or Dublin quite easily

Augeo wrote:

Augeo wrote:

Funnily enough, all these reasons and other mentioned appeal to me a lot!

Going to a spa in Slovakia this summer in fact

Different cultures, different people, take the most out of it

Love snow myself, legal drifting on the roads 4 months in a year, oh yeah!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If the Metro goes ahead, any bit of green between Finglas and Swords will be built on.
    Sounds like Canada :pac:

You'd change your mind very quickly if you lived in a passive A2 house with heat recovery. Same temperature 21 degrees all day and 19 all night if you wish, heating always on (on thermostats) and heating cost is so little that I don't even know, my gas bill is 70 euro for 2 winter months including heating hot water and lots of cooking from scratch. Thats on 3 years average..............

And cost to achieve that is?
    :)

The ROI is ludicrously long tbh, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Augeo wrote:

Having lived near to these parts for a good 10 years I can just say...each to their own. The information from both sides is sensationalist in parts in that the weathers not always great nor is it 40+C for very long. You do not only have the choice of heavy germanic foods for your mains nor can you only use the alps for skiing. People deal with snow differently but unless you live in the alps you don't have months of snow. On the other hand there are frustrations and tensions in Germany and Austria due to the open door policy and the pop. Density is high in areas. Its mainly a case of cultural and organisational/administrative differences. The organisation of housing is far better than in Ireland imo. Its not the prices (vary hugely in terms of location and are likely on avg. Higher than Ireland)...its the quality control, control on estate agent practices and standard info. On properties which are both freely and easily available which is superior). The mentality of ownership is different too (a lot of people in central Europe could never afford to buy an adequate property).
    This continued skyrocketing of prices in Ireland is worrysome. Its not like for like with 10+ years ago but you would think that world class infrastructure has been installed overnight or that salaries have increased by 50%. The govt. Are completely indecisive or downright brazen in their management of the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

no.8 wrote: »
    The govt. Are completely indecisive or downright brazen in their management of the issue.

No, they are giving the electorate exactly what they want. Rising property prices give the majority, who are home owners, a nice fuzzy feeling of illusionary wealth. In return they re-elect politicians to keep it that way.

Rinse and repeat. Anyone who thinks the current trajectory isn't going to end in 2007-esque Celtic Tiger behaviour is really fooling themselves. The only thing we learned from the crash is that if you stop paying your mortgage when it all goes tits up, is that you'll keep your home. Just like the 30% who did this time around. It's a win win! :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement