Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

i remember the food being brutal ...i know hate the smell of bacon and cabbage

Nothing wrong with the food as it was a lot closer to organic than the sh1te that’s around today. But having bacon and cabbage 6 days a week and chicken on Sunday wasn’t much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

mariaalice wrote: »
    Well, I had a great time and surprisingly enough we go by without the internet. I associate it with the start of Ireland reflecting on its self as a nation a lot of the staried-eyed idea of the republic began to be questioned, you had series like strumpet city on the TV, and while we always had emigration it was only when middle-class emigration became an issue in the 1980s that it became a thing in the media and general discourse in society which is interesting.
    Because there was generally one telly in a house and kids didn't have YouTube/Netflix/tablet alternatives, the whole family generally watched TV together. So kids watched the news, lots and lots of news on RTE and the UK channels. I could probably have named most of Maggie Thatcher's cabinet ministers in the UK and their roles. I doubt if mine could name the UK Prime Minister tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,949 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

topper75 wrote: »
    An Irish CB ran the rate for the punt. It was a currency/rate for OUR economy, not for a depressed German banking sector or a roaring Parisian property market. It was ours. By us, for us.

Yet the economy was always sh1t... funny that. Inflation was 15%, interest rates if you could even get a mortgage (needed to be saving regularly for years, that's why people stayed engaged for years) were 20%, sounds good if you were lucky enough to have savings but a devaluation could slash their value overnight and whack up the price of fuel and all imported goods. Between that and the high inflation the value of wages fell rapidly so there were constant strikes. Great days, who needs a solid currency like the euro :rolleyes:

We had a lock on our phone - 3 teenagers in the house and me dad going through every call on the phone bill saw to that. Electrical appliances being bought from the ESB shop and paid in installments on the bill. Most people I knew rented their TVs.

There were no itemised bills in the 70s or 80s. They came along well enough into the 90s IIRC and for the first few years you had to pay extra! So you just got a bill saying X number of units, it didn't even break down between local calls, trunk calls or international. People would be terrified of getting a big phone bill. On our road there were 300 houses and I'd say less than ten of them had a phone. There always used to be people calling in to use our phone and we had a coinbox beside it they'd put 20p into. The public phones would either be vandalised or have a queue. Many of our neighbours (N.B. this was in Dublin city) were on a waiting list for a phone for ten years by the time they put in more lines in the late 80s and they could finally get a phone. Every few months my aunt used to come over to our house to ring her sister in England, she used to get the call put through through the operator (could have dialled direct) so the operator could tell her at the end how much it cost and she'd give my mother the money. A 30-40 minute call used to cost a few pounds.

After my dad died in 1985 my mother was able to get her job back (had to resign when she got married) and there was no tax allowance for widows or widowers in those days so she was taxed as a single person. 65% income tax on a modest enough income, with levies and PRSI on top of that and two teenagers to feed and put through school. Luckily we'd bought the house a few years earlier off the corporation, my mother inherited a bit of money and paid off the balance of the mortgage, it was £500 or something. I remember my mother going around to the rent office (it was a house a couple of streets away) every week paying the corporation mortgage, it was something like £4, if you were just renting it was £2.

I remember the old Lady Lavery pound notes (we used to call her Lady Lavatory :p ) but you felt rich if you had 50p. Even a 10p (the old big ones, same as the old two shilling coin) felt like a proper bit of money, they had a hefty enough weight to them. The line in Rat Trap "He reaches in his pocket, he finds 50p" had real meaning because finding a 50p was a big enough deal, bag of chips and a bus fare home and a bit left.

CBI_-_SERIES_A_-_ONE_POUND_NOTE.PNG

220px-Irish_fifty_pence_%28decimal_coin%29.png

Highlight of the week in the 80s was Sunday afternoons watching MT USA on the black and white portable (weren't allowed watch it on the "big" 20" rented colour TV)

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the food as it was a lot closer to organic than the sh1te that’s around today. But having bacon and cabbage 6 days a week and chicken on Sunday wasn’t much fun.

Were an awful lot less tubby feckers about in the 80s

Saying that once someone hit 70 they looked about 100. Most pensioners back then resembled Eamon dunphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Unemployment hit 20 percent in the 80s. The dole was so small it was hardly worth collecting it. You definitely wouldn't be seen in a pub if you were on the dole. You just couldn't afford it. You actually had to queue up weekly to collect the dole. Not unlike the dole scene in the commitments. Apprenticeship wages were tiny. You definitely wouldn't be buying a car with spoiler & alloys.

The 80s were bad times but for the most part we were happy enough because we'd never seen boom times. The crash in the 0s was worse in that we had boom times & when it was taken away we missed it.

Oh yeah we had naff hairstyle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

zapitastas wrote: »
    Were an awful lot less tubby feckers about in the 80s

Saying that once someone hit 70 they looked about 100. Most pensioners back then resembled Eamon dunphy.

Probably down to poorer nutrition, limited healthcare, and for many a combination of hard outdoor labour and lack of sunscreen. First time I remember seeing sunscreen in the chemist was in 1988. Many considered me mad for using the highest factor available then-factor 15

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

archer22 wrote: »
    Those on the dole used to get a voucher for a free pound of butter each week as there was an EU "butter mountain".

They all got excited when they heard that there was also an EU "wine lake" and were expecting another voucher every week.

Sadly that never materialised :pac:

used to bring that voucher into a local shop and get 10 john player blue for it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Saw this video on YT - Gardiner Street Dublin, 1979. The video seems to be lamenting the demolition of these buildings (families "turfed into" new homes etc.) i don't know the history here but find it amazing that this footage is from only 40 years ago - a long time but not that long. The 8 mm film and the music probably contribute to the impression of this being a very different Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Chomp & Wham Bars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Chomp & Wham Bars

Still available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I wouldn't buy a lot of the nostalgia about those times. In many ways, Ireland is a far better place. One thing worth missing though is how relatively easier it was for young people to afford to be independent back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭buzsywuzsy

By central heating are you excluding radiators?plenty of people had those.

As for the op and toilets and wheelie bins. Of course there were toilets and wheelie bins are hardly a great advance. We should be having wheelie bins on the moon at this stage

I’m an 80’s baby so some of my memories run into the mid 90’s.
    Speaking of wheelie bins, I remember plastic bags being tangled on fences of fields everywhere. Every Saturday with Dad we’d go with a trailer of rubbish to the dump,the place stinking with everything and anything thrown there. We had a barrel in the back garden that was used to burn rubbish in from time to time.
    We didn’t get a house phone until 1995 so if the relations needed to contact us they rang our neighbour’s phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Being hot and and horny on Saturday nights in 1975/76 in my father's Morris Minor that he was brave and trustworthy enough to give me.

Was this you and yer mates? :D

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I think a lot of new houses had toilets but I know lots of rural farm houses and they simply didn't have toilets or install them right away.
    I know a few people and the district nurse basically made people get them when they got older in the 2000's.
    Where on earth did you grow up??

I'm from the countryside and at worst, people had an outdoor toilet. I can only think of one house where they had no toilet and it was owned by a fella who was a bit useless anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'm from the countryside and at worst, people had an outdoor toilet. I can only think of one house where they had no toilet and it was owned by a fella who was a bit useless anyway.

Plenty of places, usually owned by old bachelor farmers had no toilets. Go to the usual ditch and bring newspaper...

There were uncivilised farmers where I lived too.

I don't remember the 80s as being grey and depressing. I was only a child though so I wasn't privy to worries about the grocery bills or interest rates.

We played outdoors a lot more than kids do now and have a lot of great memories of that. I don't remember feeling bored too often. Not having children's TV or YouTube on tap 24 hours a day meant that we found other ways to entertain ourselves.

Clothes for young people certainly weren't grey. The same sort of neon t-shirts that are around now were the fashion then. Same with those t-shirts with the slogans, the ripped jeans and the glasses that are in fashion now.

The local corner shop stocked penny sweets that were basically e-numbers packaged in little baubles. The same with the crisps and various bars. I bet there isn't the same kick off them these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,208 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I can think of houses in Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Laois, Tipperary.
    They were older farm houses in generally mainly with a galvanised roof. They'd have being built before toilets became mainstream and they simply weren't installed.
    The people had a pot or commode in there room for night time and they ventured out during the day to do their business. These people raised kids/teenagers in these house who got on fairly well in life and they mightn't have advertised it at school tough. They weren't exactly all bachelor farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

The wooden spoon!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Putting the milk bottles out pain in the ar#e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I know a lot of people find this hard to believe but it was easier to buy a house in the 1980s as long as you had a steady job people with perfectly ordinary jobs purchased houses factory workers, barmen, retail workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

The 80s were fantastic. Great music and movies, everything was a lot more innocent. There wasn't much money floating about so we appreciated everything a lot more than people do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

keyholders in the area please come to your premises

I remember I had an old video recording of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang from the late 80s and this message warning keyholders to attend their premises was played over the film.

I was a kid at the time and I had a vague understanding that it had something to do with Northern Ireland as the BBC1 lady interrupting a scary part of the film - when the child catcher was introduced - had a strong northern accent and sounded very serious.

I remember I had an old video recording of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang from the late 80s and this message warning keyholders to attend their premises was played over the film.

I was a kid at the time and I had a vague understanding that it had something to do with Northern Ireland as the BBC1 lady interrupting a scary part of the film - when the child catcher was introduced - had a strong northern accent and sounded very serious.

Ruined many a midweek sports special that

mariaalice wrote: »
    I know a lot of people find this hard to believe but it was easier to buy a house in the 1980s as long as you had a steady job people with perfectly ordinary jobs purchased houses factory workers, barmen, retail workers.

There were quite a few children in my class who lived in council houses but their dads all had jobs. They might not have been the greatest jobs around but they were still getting up in the morning and going to work. I've no doubt there were plenty of layabouts around then too but there just seems to be more of them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Funny to stumble on this thread.

I watched Reeling in the Years - 1984 this evening.

Tunes included U2s Pride (in the name of love), Cndy Lauper (time after time), and Shout shout let it all out (cant think of who that's by). Showed apartheid in South Africa, and how a lady who worked in Dunnes refuse to handle SA products. And then there was a strike. And "Do they know its Christmas time" came out. IRA bombed a hotel in London trying to kill Maggie and her cabinet.

For me, was actually very powerful rewatching this.

One thing that struck me was the excitement of the 1984 Olympics (and the next Olympics). Was transmitted on TV of course. Only two channels we had.

Daley Thompson and Lewis were like unobtainable Gods in a far far far away land, part of another world that Id never probably see.

Was amazing (for me) anyways to relive that memory.

The world has gotton smaller.

Getting your first ever wages I got £17.50 in a brown envelope for being a van helper aged 15,gave my mum 10 for the house still delighted with myself bought a pair of crêpes (brothel creepers)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There were quite a few children in my class who lived in council houses but their dads all had jobs. They might not have been the greatest jobs around but they were still getting up in the morning and going to work. I've no doubt there were plenty of layabouts around then too but there just seems to be more of them now.

perception as opposed to reality. The fact that anyone with steady employment could buy a house, it sort of reminds me of reading about the Dublin artisan dwelling society only those with steady employment could afford the rent of house and those with only casual work lived in tenement because it was cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

McCrack wrote: »
    The wooden spoon!!

Corporal punishment. Getting flaked by the teacher at school and coming home and getting it at home as well, happily people realise it's no longer acceptable to beat small children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

There were no itemised bills in the 70s or 80s. They came along well enough into the 90s IIRC and for the first few years you had to pay extra! So you just got a bill saying X number of units, it didn't even break down between local calls, trunk calls or international. People would be terrified of getting a big phone bill. On our road there were 300 houses and I'd say less than ten of them had a phone. There always used to be people calling in to use our phone and we had a coinbox beside it they'd put 20p into. The public phones would either be vandalised or have a queue. Many of our neighbours (N.B. this was in Dublin city) were on a waiting list for a phone for ten years by the time they put in more lines in the late 80s and they could finally get a phone. Every few months my aunt used to come over to our house to ring her sister in England, she used to get the call put through through the operator (could have dialled direct) so the operator could tell her at the end how much it cost and she'd give my mother the money. A 30-40 minute call used to cost a few pounds.

Yeah, must have been the early 90s then. I do remember having to go down to the phonebox on the corner because we weren't allowed to use the phone after a big bill.

Advertisement