Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Completely get your point, and there is no getting away from the fact that a lot of 1980s buildings were really crap.

However
    - all the beautiful buildings in Dublin and elsewhere that are around now, were also around in the 1970s. Trinity college for example.

Around the country, towns were proper towns then. A lot of Irish towns today, especially in the midlands - today the town centre is dead and full of charity stores and poundshops, because of the effect of the big out of town shopping centres.

I do get a fairly strong sense that a lot of Irish towns have gone really down hill since around 2000 in particular.
    Pubs were a massive thing in midland towns.

When I was born in 88 there were 32 pubs in my medium sized town. 30 yrs later 11 remain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I remember that stall as well. you must be as old as me :)

There was a whole load of stalls there.

As young as :D

Yes, thats right, and at the top of Moore Street, on the side facing us in that photo was a hatch that you could go up to for off licence sales. They NEVER asked your age so at 16 I was buying bottles of some dodgy brand vodka from it and hiding them in my army surplus bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,021 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

storker wrote: »
    Sort of paid. I can remember my dad driving into them and saying "We won't be long" to the guy in the booth at which point he would be waved on in with no ticket. On the way out the guy would be passed a punt or two. I doubt that Dublin Corporation ever saw a record of the transaction...

Your da was robbed, the "lock hard dere, missus" lads used to only charge 50p!

cml387 wrote: »
    I beg to differ. Even in the mid seventies, colour was the norm. You had get black and white ones specially made.

This was clearly not taken with an Instamatic, though.

B&W is sharper and could be developed and printed at home (if you're a pretty committed amateur) giving professional quality results, with a decent enlarger - often bought secondhand.

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Your da was robbed, the "lock hard dere, missus" lads used to only charge 50p!

I can't remember how much he paid them to be honest, I just know it was a lot less than the corpo would have liked! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I know a lot of the inner city was derelict and pretty dirty back then but I have good memories of hanging around the temple bar area around the mid 80s. Lots of big warehouse type buildings with interesting second hand shops and pubs with good music that didn’t charge you a small fortune for beer. I know it’s a horrible cliche but I thought the place had a bit of character back then. I rarely get the urge to spend any time in it these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

"Irish Wildlife" - a satirical book that looked at some archetypal Irish people and described them in a zoological style, published by the Phoenix, I think.

Among the...er...species described...

Busarus Rex
    Youngwan Urbana
    Politico Polysyllabus
    Nursus Clinicus
    Mater Melancholia
    Cretinus Pintorum
    Gayus Gaelicus
    Dub Ignoramus
    ...etc

tumblr_m7fkhxYYKp1qcpw2u.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I know a lot of the inner city was derelict and pretty dirty back then but I have good memories of hanging around the temple bar area around the mid 80s. Lots of big warehouse type buildings with interesting second hand shops and pubs with good music that didn’t charge you a small fortune for beer. I know it’s a horrible cliche but I thought the place had a bit of character back then. I rarely get the urge to spend any time in it these days.

And The Apartment and Jaggers.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Grandeeod wrote: »
    And The Apartment and Jaggers.:D

The Apartments!! I thought I was the only person that remembered that place.

Everyone looked great in it because of the lighting and you'd get out side and find out that the fella you were snogging was a minger. :D:D

BBFAN wrote: »
    The Apartments!! I thought I was the only person that remembered that place.

Everyone looked great in it because of the lighting and you'd get out side and find out that the fella you were snogging was a minger. :D:D

Could be even worse. I often had the not so pretty girl I was snogging inside on the 51 bus home with me.:eek:

Could be even worse. I often had the not so pretty girl I was snogging inside on the 51 bus home with me.:eek:

I recall the apartment but not jaggers. Wasn’t a regular in either establishment sadly or no! Bubbles is another I remember fairly well. Regular haunt was Pat Egans - still there I think? - where the likes of Scullion and Stockton’s Wing played and with no cover charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭newspower

Floppybits wrote: »
    Another of the Ilac Surface car parks.

aba2ed6bb5cef1f1b52cc3a7374858a7.jpg

In this picture on the left where the FORD sign is I can remember it was a garage that you could drive in to get petrol it was on the ground floor of the building and they were a Ford dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

those hair styles in the 80s . . curls were all the go - the body wave was all the rage and then when it went out of fashion hair was worn short but spiky on top.

and the mullet for the lads. other styles were short hair with thin plait down the back or a fringe plait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I remember that ad well. There was another one around the same time about bicycle safety that had a voiceover by Mike Murphy that began "so you're off to school on your bike".

Here you go

I wrote a bit more about it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

newspower wrote: »
    In this picture on the left where the FORD sign is I can remember it was a garage that you could drive in to get petrol it was on the ground floor of the building and they were a Ford dealer.

Waldens

....... wrote: »
    Over on the right hand side, just out of sight in the pic is where we used to buy our Doc Martens off Peggy Keogh - the only place in Dublin (maybe in Ireland!) that you could get them.

I remember leaving Peggys stall proud as punch with my big boot box under my arm. A couple of days later my bruised and bloody feet were cursing Peggy as I broke them in.

Another time I bought an Oxblood pair - fancy schmancy, and then I felt like the were too "loud" (well it was grey times) and I used art paint to paint them in black - it worked too, the oxblood only showed through on scuff marks.

My second pair of Docs were oxblood from Peggy's stall. I chose to break them in on the day of The Sugarcubes’ concert at the SFX, a most memorable gig with Life’s Too Good played in its entirety. It was October 1989 and people were still getting to grips with Here Today, Tomorrow, Next Week. Funds were low so we had to walk back to Dartmouth Square (was crashing in a friend's flat). About 100 yards into the journey, the Docs started to cut me. By the time I got to Ranelagh there was real blood.

Talking about Peggys stall, I remember the area before the Ilac was built. Lots more Fish stalls. The little cabins were all over the place and some survived after the Ilac went up, but it was a great place for footwear. It didn't take long for them to be driven out for the Ilac centres new frontage. Parents bought me some cool George Webb shoes in that market area. After that it was self shopping in Simon Hartes - in the Ilac.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

154_Ilac_Centre.jpg

that leaves me baffled. is that the Ilac centre in Dublin?? And is that Henry Street then??:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

does anyone remember a shop on Liffey St/Henry St called HAIRY LEGS?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,021 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Another of the Ilac Surface car parks.

aba2ed6bb5cef1f1b52cc3a7374858a7.jpg

Remember Peats? They used to be in a really old building which would have been on the right of the road, it was demolished in the mid 80s. Then they moved to a new showroom on the left side, TV hifi etc downstairs, the interesting stuff as far as I was concerned - electronics components, books and computer stuff - was up some strangely steep stairs. Then that place went too and they moved to a modern building on the right hand side on the corner of Jervis St. which is where they were when they closed for good.

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Waldens

thats the one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

tara73 wrote: »
    that leaves me baffled. is that the Ilac centre in Dublin?? And is that Henry Street then??:eek:

Nope, that's Parnell Street, which is the other side of the Ilac Centre from Henry Street...

And yep, I remember Hairy Legs too! The name at least...

Remember Peats? They used to be in a really old building which would have been on the right of the road, it was demolished in the mid 80s. Then they moved to a new showroom on the left side, TV hifi etc downstairs, the interesting stuff as far as I was concerned - electronics components, books and computer stuff - was up some strangely steep stairs. Then that place went too and they moved to a modern building on the right hand side on the corner of Jervis St. which is where they were when they closed for good.

I worked in Peats in 1990 when they were in the showroom on the left side, I worked upstairs in that Computer area... :)

Remember hairy legs well enough, very trendy clobber for the 80s. If pushed I’d have guessed Talbot St but am more often than not mistaken on these things!

No that is parnell street. Buildings were built where these car parks used to be between the Ilac and Parnell Street

does anyone remember a shop on Liffey St/Henry St called HAIRY LEGS?

Applied for a job there summer 1990. They never got back to me.

Its the Ilac centre. The street is Parnell street, the opposite side of the Ilac to Henry Street. Henry street back then was famous for this import. Pick n Mix and a great restaurant upstairs.

woolworth-henry-street-84.jpg?w=620

• Registered Users Posts: 40,176 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I think you have that backwards. The old peats was on the left handle when they sold components. They moved across the to the same side as the ilac is now.

Its the Ilac centre. The street is Parnell street, the opposite side of the Ilac to Henry Street. Henry street back then was famous for this import. Pick n Mix and a great restaurant upstairs.

woolworth-henry-street-84.jpg?w=620

I have very fond memories of that Pick n Mix! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

jasonb wrote: »
    I have very fond memories of that Pick n Mix! :)

Robbing it you mean. :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Was a horrible time.

Liam Cosgrave, Charles Haughey & Garreth Fitzgerald. If you were lucky you could escape to North Korea.

Advertisement