Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing UK Nissan Leaf 2013 - 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

For me it was about charge times, in an hour the 3.3 would give you about 15-17 miles range but the 6.6 would get you about 27-30 that coupled with the abundance of 22kw points as a back up to the CHAdeMO network sold me on a 6.6

Im still waiting to find a 14-15 SVE/Tekna in the color and price range i want.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

For most people with home charging, it would make no difference if their L24 has 3.3kW or 6.6kW AC charging. Both can charge the car from empty to full within the cheap 9 hours of night rate charging.

And charging at public slow chargers is pretty pointless anyway. Completely pointless at 3.3kW unless you charge for the full day (park and ride) or overnight at a hotel or something. Also completely useless at 6.6kW unless you are going to be somewhere for at least 3 hours. I don't think I ever go anywere for 3 hours. Maybe for a culchie going shopping in Dublin city or something :p

I'd rather get a 3.3kW AC charging Leaf and negotiate a bit of money off than pay over the top for a rare 6.6kW charger...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭creedp

unkel wrote: »
    For most people with home charging, it would make no difference if their L24 has 3.3kW or 6.6kW AC charging. Both can charge the car from empty to full within the cheap 9 hours of night rate charging.

And charging at public slow chargers is pretty pointless anyway. Completely pointless at 3.3kW unless you charge for the full day (park and ride) or overnight at a hotel or something. Also completely useless at 6.6kW unless you are going to be somewhere for at least 3 hours. I don't think I ever go anywere for 3 hours. Maybe for a culchie going shopping in Dublin city or something :p

I'd rather get a 3.3kW AC charging Leaf and negotiate a bit of money off than pay over the top for a rare 6.6kW charger...

I use the 22kw on street chargers regularly when I know I have a detour on way home to pick up/drop off kids. I dont gave guaranteed access to work charging so one hour charging (lunchtime) gives me 40 to 50km additional range which covers the majority of my detours. It's also great to be able to get home and top up before heading out on the regular evening taxi work. However if you are someone with a very predictable lifestyle and the L24 range will always covers you daily mileage and you can always charge for 9 hours at night (basically a lucky sod!!!!) then obviously dont pay extra for the 6.6kw charger. However for the rest of us mere mortals it certainly has its advantages

creedp wrote: »
    one hour charging (lunchtime) gives me 40 to 50km additional range

Not a hope. An hour at 3.3kW gives you about 15km in a Leaf 24. Worth EUR0.20. Not to mention all the bother of getting your cable out and connecting it to the slow charger

Why do you bother?

Not a hope. An hour at 3.3kW gives you about 15km in a Leaf 24. Worth EUR0.20. Not to mention all the bother of getting your cable out and connecting it to the slow charger

Why do you bother?

Sorry Im talking about an L30. Its not [always] about the couple of cent .. its about having sufficient range to complete a necessary journey.

• Advertisement

If you need to top up because you need to pick up the kids after your commute, then the range of your car isn't sufficient! Maybe upgrade to a Ioniq, L40, Kona, Tesla? :)

If you need to top up because you need to pick up the kids after your commute, then the range of your car isn't sufficient! Maybe upgrade to a Ioniq, L40, Kona, Tesla? :)

Hey in an ideal world Id be driving a Tesla S with 7 seats option ticked! Now back to this grey sky day in Dublin sitting at an ecars on street charger wondering as ever where it all went wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 airy2001

Ok thanks guys so just to confirm, if I'm charging a 3.3, 24kw leaf at a rapid charging station I still can charge my leaf in about 20 min to 80% ?

Yep. It's a bit on the optimistic side, more like half an hour if you are really empty

All Leafs can charge at the DC CHAdeMO charger at a maximum of about 43kW

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

airy2001 wrote: »
    Ok thanks guys so just to confirm, if I'm charging a 3.3, 24kWh leaf at a rapid charging station I still can charge my leaf in about 20 min to 80% ?
    If you start above 40% you will get to 80% in 20 minutes.
    Anything less and it's 30 mins+

• Advertisement

Cool thank you, I probably will settle for a 2013 to 2014 leaf acenta 3.3.

I’m so close to finally buying a leaf 24kw, but still bit unsure if I should get a 2014 with 6.6 or a 2015 both similar mileage and only a slight price 500£ difference. I just wondering if I also get 8 years warrenty with the 2015 model and the lizard battery or is that only the 30kw version ? Any advice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I’m so close to finally buying a leaf 24kw, but still bit unsure if I should get a 2014 with 6.6 or a 2015 both similar mileage and only a slight price 500£ difference. I just wondering if I also get 8 years warrenty with the 2015 model and the lizard battery or is that only the 30kw version ? Any advice ?

The 8yrs is only with the 30kWh. You'll have 5yrs on the EV components and 3yrs on everything else so you are probably already passed the 3yr bit.

What price are the two Leaf's?
    It seems to make sense to spend an extra €500 to come up a year but we'd need to see both prices.

Are they both 6.6kW?

Thanks thats good to know. The leafs are between 9500 - 10.000. Do you know if the dealer warrenty from the uk can be transferred to Ireland? It seams the battery warrenty is international.

Thanks thats good to know. The leafs are between 9500 - 10.000. Do you know if the dealer warrenty from the uk can be transferred to Ireland? It seams the battery warrenty is international.

Yes, no problem with the warranty being honoured here. I’ve had warranty work done on my UK import with no hassle whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

KCross wrote: »
    Yes, no problem with the warranty being honoured here. I’ve had warranty work done on my UK import with no hassle whatsoever.

Did you have to inform Nissan Ireland in advance that it was a UK car?
    Thanks

Pkiernan wrote: »
    KCross wrote: »

Did you have to inform Nissan Ireland in advance that it was a UK car?
    Thanks

No, just booked it in as normal. The warranty is a European wide warranty.

Thanks that's good to know, so if I buy a 2015 leaf from privat or any dealer in the uk that does not offer warranty, I could go to a Nissan Ireland dealer and get it fixed for free as long it's part of the ev componetes (battery..) ?

Thanks that's good to know, so if I buy a 2015 leaf from privat or any dealer in the uk that does not offer warranty, I could go to a Nissan Ireland dealer and get it fixed for free as long it's part of the ev componetes (battery..) ?

Yes, assuming everything else checks out.
    e.g I presume they wouldn’t repair a broken part as a result of a crash so it would still be recommended to get one with a clean history and service history.

If buying one outside the 3yr warranty watch for uneven tyre wear on the rear tyres. To fix it properly (rear axle replacement) is an expensive repair outside warranty. It is a relatively common issue.

Nothing much else to watch out for on a 2015 other than that it drives ok.

Hi Guys I more that happy and finally found the leaf that I was looking for :-)

Now I´m planning to import the car into Ireland.

I´m just gathering a checklist to make sure when I pickup the car that I got all the correct steps in place to register it for the VRT in Ireland. Could ye please have a look at my list and let me know If i´m missing anything.

What do I need from the UK seller?

- documentation to confirm the level of CO2 emissions of the vehicle at the time of manufacture
    - Invoice with date of sale and final price
    - Fill in the V5C/4 ‘notification of permanent export’ section of your V5C registration certificate (log book).
    - Send it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD. Include a letter if you’ve moved abroad and want your vehicle tax refund sent to your new address.
    - Keep the rest of your V5C registration certificate

So my plan was to get the UK dealer to fill out the V5C/4 a week before my arrival and let them send it to the DVLA.
    Then take the ferry and register and VRT the car in Ireland.

Do I miss anything before I flight over to pickup the car?

• Advertisement

Hi Guys I more that happy and finally found the leaf that I was looking for :-)

Now I´m planning to import the car into Ireland.

I´m just gathering a checklist to make sure when I pickup the car that I got all the correct steps in place to register it for the VRT in Ireland. Could ye please have a look at my list and let me know If i´m missing anything.

What do I need from the UK seller?

- documentation to confirm the level of CO2 emissions of the vehicle at the time of manufacture
    - Invoice with date of sale and final price
    - Fill in the V5C/4 ‘notification of permanent export’ section of your V5C registration certificate (log book).
    - Send it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD. Include a letter if you’ve moved abroad and want your vehicle tax refund sent to your new address.
    - Keep the rest of your V5C registration certificate

So my plan was to get the UK dealer to fill out the V5C/4 a week before my arrival and let them send it to the DVLA.
    Then take the ferry and register and VRT the car in Ireland.

Do I miss anything before I flight over to pickup the car?

Its nothing as complicated as your list.

You simply get a dated invoice showing the VAT.

Get the full V5 document from the dealer. DO NOT send it to the DVLA. That will delay the whole process with the VRT.

If the dealer has never sold to an Irish person before they might be a bit iffy about handing over the V5 to you but it is the correct process and its detailed on the form itself that if its being exported you give the entire form to the buyer so just get them to read the form properly and make sure you get it all and not just the tearoff bit at the bottom.

You dont need any CO2 data, its on the V5 form.

Keep your ferry ticket as that is proof of import date.

Oh ok thanks kcross you are always very helpful. :)

So the v5 also does not need to be in my name?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If you driving it on UK roads the car will need to be taxed, if you are stopped and can show your ferry ticket etc you may get away with it but the police are much stricter than Garda here. Tax is free on the Leaf so you should get the garage to ensure it’s in place else you are driving at risk.
    I lived in the UK and there is no way I would drive an untaxed car on those roads

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Also, the V5 will not be in your name, it will be previous owner.
    You do not need a VAT invoice e.g a private seller will not provide a VAT invoice, but seeing as you’re purchasing from a garage you will get a proper VAT invoice so not an issue in your case.
    Good luck with your purchase

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Congrats on finding a car, do you mind sharing what spec, year, price etc you got. Do you think you saved much compared to Irish prices?

With current exchange rates I might look at that myself!

I worked it out with the dealer.
    - ask the dealer to call the DVLA
    - state in a letter to signed letter to the DVLA ,stating date, mileage along with your details and signed by buyer.
    then you can keep the whole V5 document .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I worked it out with the dealer.
    - ask the dealer to call the DVLA
    - state in a letter to signed letter to the DVLA ,stating date, mileage along with your details and signed by buyer.
    then you can keep the whole V5 document .

You are still complicating things. None of that is required.
    There is a small section of the V5 that the dealer tears off and sends to the DVLA and that informs them it’s gone for permanent export.

kceire wrote: »
    You are still complicating things. None of that is required.
    There is a small section of the V5 that the dealer tears off and sends to the DVLA and that informs them it’s gone for permanent export.

They dont tear off anything in my recollection. You take the entire form. The NCT centre take the form off you during the VRT inspection and send it to revenue and they in turn, I believe, send it back to the DVLA to close the loop.

Letters, tear offs and contacting the DVLA is not required.

I got an Nissan Leaf Acenta 2015, 6.6kw, 24kw, 25k mileage, battery owned from the Nissan Dealer in West Sussex that did a great job.
    https://www.barnardandbrough.co.uk
    I can really recommend them.

- Major Service that extended the warranty, so I have another year of Bumper to Bumper warranty.
    - new MOT (can be used transferred to Ireland for NCT)
    - they replaced the brakes
    - fixed scratches

It took me about 2 days to get back via fishguard to rosslare to cork.
    Now in the process to getting my VRT done.

Probably saved around 2.000, if I would have got same specs in Ireland.

Good luck hunting for the right car.

• Advertisement

Well wear!

How much did you pay? And how come it took you 2 days to get back?

Advertisement