Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Whilst McIlroy's driving was poor yesterday, it was his putting yet again that causes him most problems, as does the failure to employ a proper caddie.
    One incident was on the 5th hole. Both himself and Woods were hitting in wedges but both ended up in greenside bunkers. Both played mediocre recoveries to about 12 feet. McIlroy looked at his line from both sides and then missed the putt. Woods looked at his line from both directions, as did his caddie, they had words, and Woods looked again, then drained the putt. You need a proper caddie, not your mate. He will continue to struggle.

I wanted to make this point about the caddie as well! Totally agree..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

benny79 wrote: »
    He is regularly finishing in the Top ten! I think some lads are forgetting how hard golf is! Sure even Rose nearly throw away the fed ex only for a bit of luck on 18!

Funny you mention Rose....

Rory was only one stroke behind him both for the *bad* day and the WHOLE tournament

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Rory has all the shots obviously, but is very fragile under pressure. As has been evident on a number of occasions now. As I heard Des Smyth saying once, he's like a thoroughbred, he has to be on top of his game to win. He hasn't the temperament to grind it out when things are going badly. Ewan Murray was very critical of him last night for shooting himself out of the tournament after the first
    6 holes and rightly so. You heard Tiger saying afterwards how he enjoyed grinding it out. That's what you have to do to win - how many times did Tiger play 3 woods off the tee into the fairway and was 40 yards behind Rory who was spraying it left and right.
    Rory played crap agree with that but it was easy for Tiger to only hit those shots off the tee when he had such a commanding lead. Would have like to have seen someone make a charge but they all fell away, the Tiger effect might just be real!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Lacks serious bottle in fairness still he's gotten over the line more than most.

Woods is different class and frankly he's the best golfer there has ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,500 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Old diesel wrote: »

Rory was only one stroke behind him both for the *bad* day and the WHOLE tournament

Yes but Rose did win the FedEx and Rory finished down the field again.
    I think he lacks the battling qualities needed when behind and chasing now.
    The first battle is always with yourself and getting your thinking right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Lacks serious bottle in fairness still he's gotten over the line more than most.

Woods is different class and frankly he's the best golfer there has ever been.

There's a lad called Jack Nicklaus who says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Russman

One incident was on the 5th hole. Both himself and Woods were hitting in wedges but both ended up in greenside bunkers. Both played mediocre recoveries to about 12 feet. McIlroy looked at his line from both sides and then missed the putt. Woods looked at his line from both directions, as did his caddie, they had words, and Woods looked again, then drained the putt. You need a proper caddie, not your mate. He will continue to struggle.

Come on, you can't really draw a cause and effect line between those two things, seriously. Who's to say a caddy would have seen the line differently to Rory, or who's to say Tiger didn't overrule Joe. Spending longer looking at a putt or getting extra opinions doesn't correlate to more chances of holing it. Look at a putt long enough and you'll eventually find a break that may or may not be there.

Rory's caddy is/was a top class golfer and I'd argue that whatever he's most comfortable with is the best thing for him. On paper would he do better with a professional caddy ? Probably. But we've no idea whether he'd be happy internally.

GreeBo wrote: »
    So you agree yet have been arguing against what I said all night?

No bother, another one for my ever growing list I guess.

I'm intrigued. Tell me about the list and how you earn a place on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,042 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Old diesel wrote: »

Didn't rose also have a shocker though?

No point holding him up as a target.
    Look at what dj did yesterday, or Billy H. That's what was available out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Russman wrote: »
    Come on, you can't really draw a cause and effect line between those two things, seriously. Who's to say a caddy would have seen the line differently to Rory, or who's to say Tiger didn't overrule Joe. Spending longer looking at a putt or getting extra opinions doesn't correlate to more chances of holing it. Look at a putt long enough and you'll eventually find a break that may or may not be there.

Rory's caddy is/was a top class golfer and I'd argue that whatever he's most comfortable with is the best thing for him. On paper would he do better with a professional caddy ? Probably. But we've no idea whether he'd be happy internally.

I was only using that as an example because of the stark difference in approach. I have never seen McIlroy's caddie looking at lines never mind McIlroy consulting him. He was not a "top class" golfer, he was a 5 handicapper which is good for an amateur but does not necessarily make you a good caddie.

• Advertisement

I will say,  it was extremely hard to be paired with TW yesterday, if Rory was in the second last pairing I fancy we would have seen a different level of performance , Maybe / Maybe Not . . Onto the Ryder Cup and he will take care of business !

The great golfing superstar Y.E Yang managed it.

I was only using that as an example because of the stark difference in approach. I have never seen McIlroy's caddie looking at lines never mind McIlroy consulting him. He was not a "top class" golfer, he was a 5 handicapper which is good for an amateur but does not necessarily make you a good caddie.

Not too many 5 handicappers get to play golf for Ireland.

He was at least +2.5

Butt I would agree with the point you are making, same as Lowry.
    Rory doesn't have the time to wait while Harry learns how to be a professional caddy.

I think you'll find he was a lot better than 5...........
    https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/who-is-rory-mcilroys-caddie-harry-diamond-35994337.html

Some golfers get their caddy to help reading greens, some don't - neither are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

To be fare . . Harry Diamond won the West of Ireland and selected for the 2014 Irish Am' International squad with Handicap of +2.5 . . Good man Google ! So there is merit with having him on the bag. 

A lot of players have their mates on the bag, Spieth and more so Big Phil having bones for so long, but a lot is often made of this partnership because it's Rory. Ronan Flood was not a professional caddy, but PH thought he was the best for him and that worked out having the brother in-law on the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Former west of Ireland winner and for 2-3 years he featured at the latter end of every Irish amateur championship there was. He was very fine golfer!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Rory tried to outplay tiger. Aka, he tried too hard. Didn't play his normal game and he got showed up for it. Hopefully he's learned from the experience and will know to just play his own game the next time

Rikand wrote: »
    Rory tried to outplay tiger. Aka, he tried too hard. Didn't play his normal game and he got showed up for it. Hopefully he's learned from the experience and will know to just play his own game the next time

Since when is bombing it off the tee and suspect putting not his own game?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

There's a lad called Jack Nicklaus who says otherwise.

Nicklaus wouldn't even get within 5 shots of Tiger in his prime..and now that he looks back to his best, that major record could fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Nicklaus wouldn't even get within 5 shots of Tiger in his prime..and now that he looks back to his best, that major record could fall.
    Time isn't on his side, but if he paces himself and picks his tournaments, he certainly could pick up a couple more at least. I certainly wouldn't bet against him, if he stays healthy. He still hasn't reached the age Jack was when he won his last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

That's absolute bull****. I'll throw Hogan in there as well. They are the 3 greatest, 4 if you throw Jones in there.

There's a lot of "let's lose the run of ourselves" when it comes to Tiger, that's a great example of that.

Well, we'll never know how Tiger would fare Vs Jack. It'll be debated for years and neither side will give ground. For me, Jack's number of 2nd and 3rd places in majors, along with the wins would swing it, whether Tiger finishes up with 14, 17 or 19 wins. But, hey, its all opinions.

Hmmm, if we figure Tiger has say, 3 or 4 years left competitively at the top level, that's another 16 majors. He needs 5 to beat the record, I just can't see him winning 5 of the next 16 majors tbh. I don't think he'll ever get as soft a win as this one was, shooting over par on Sunday to win, no way that happens in a full field event, or at least a full field event of the stature that he'd actually be playing in.

Nicklaus wouldn't even get within 5 shots of Tiger in his prime..
    What metric are you using to back up that statement?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

This is the Rory thread, Tiger talk belongs in his thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Rikand wrote: »
    Paging Davo to the thread please. Davo. The thread is calling for you

He's gone to prison for a month unfortunately.

463465.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

A young Enda Kenny!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

What was he doing at the PGA player of the year last night? Surely he wasn't there on the off chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

What was he doing at the PGA player of the year last night? Surely he wasn't there on the off chance.
    Well he is a member of the tour. Plus he would have been entitled to vote in it. And at least one of those criteria would have meant he'd have been invited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Think this post sums up this thread. No matter what McIlroy does someone will find fault with it. 

Having won 2 out of the 4 majors this year, Koepka was clearly going to win PGA player of the year. Should it just have been Koepka there at the awards on his own since no one else was going to win? McIlroy can't even go for a work night out now without it being questioned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement