Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam thread 2 (car videos only, no commenting on videos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

tedpan wrote: »
    Understand you're driving an ambulance, but what about indicating? Especially when driving across 3 lanes.

Afaik emergency vehicles are still subject to the rules of the road in an emergency response or otherwise. Obviously there must be some exceptions with breaking red lights etc but t must be clear to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

To answer some of your questions. Yes we do have to pay toll's AFAIK. We also get speedvan tickets from what I hear, but as long as it's justified and we're using our lights appropriately they're written off once reviewed. 

The camera is actually a phone on a clip mount to the bulkhead. Don't know why it looks like its stabilising. 

in regards to the rules of the road, it's a grey area. section 87 of the road traffic act 2010 just defines rule exemptions for emergency vehicles as long as "where such use does not endanger the safety of other road users". 

We spend 3 weeks doing roadcraft. The technique essentially boils down to observing everything like a hawk, taking up a wide position on the road, gentle movements and giving traffic plenty of time to see you and move, low gear, high revs, defensive position.. People are usually quite good, but naturally people panic. I don't let it bother me, just hold back and give them a chance. There's a large percentage of drivers out there who have no training at all though doing it. 

But then as I said above, the amount of concentration required is taxing, and then you have the likes of the lunatic in the blue CRH, the audi tailgating me tagging along to get ahead of traffic, people and all in all I'm not that familiar with dublin roads. 
    The people who work in dublin would be much more used to it and know a few more tricks as theyre doing it more often there. 

I'm still trying to figure out why the truck at 4:25 blew me out of it. Hope I didn't put him in a dangerous position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Good video, what type of camera is that as it appeared to have some sort of auto stabilisation incorporated, or was that youtube?

A mobile phone camera ?

It just drives home how much people are idiots. Only 50% of people i would say can understand non verbal communication, i see it daily where you nearly have to spell stuff out to people. A gap is left because you can hear an ambulance and see it in lane 3, will the gap be filled by cars in lane 3 ? no....drive blindly on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

DaveyDave wrote: »
    2:50 mark the blue CHR nearly hits the BMW moving out of your way.
    And L plates on the beemer. If it was a learner at the wheel, s/he reacted well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

People don't care but about themselves.

All emergency vehicles should have CCTV and any drivers like Mr Audi should receive a fine.

It's obvious that 80% at least don't even see you.

If you look at say Germany or other eu countries you would see all cars flow nicely out of the way and have a clear lane all the way to the city.

Driving standards are extremely poor here

I would have one bit of criticism where coming into what was newlands cross..... You should have stuck to the outer lane longer and wailed the siren more so to get attention.

You could see the drivers were all confused as you were in the middle. I do understand you were lining up for m50 but it's something you may see help in future.

Great driving and a great skill to have.

It's mainly as you know reading the road ahead.
    At the lights with truck at them I'm sure you were already scanning under it for feet or bicycle etc.

Tough job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

McCrack wrote: »

Just at 12 11

Red light. Truck stopped at the lights. Pedestrian runs across just before you approach along the bus lane

Was it safe to proceed through without stopping to check whether any more pedestrians were crossing bearing in mind someone might be elderly, young, deaf, unaware etc

:rolleyes: There's always one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

LRNM - thank you for your service.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Very interesting and nice to have 1st hand info here.

For comparison some ambulance driving from Krakow, Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

SuperS54 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: There's always one.

Well unfortunately I know of one man that was killed by an emergency vehicle about 25 years ago. This individual had learning difficulties and was crossing at a pedestrian crossing. The man had the "green man" and walked out and got struck and was killed.

So yes its a reasonable observation to make

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

McCrack wrote: »
    Well unfortunately I know of one man that was killed by an emergency vehicle about 25 years ago. This individual had learning difficulties and was crossing at a pedestrian crossing. The man had the "green man" and walked out and got struck and was killed.

So yes its a reasonable observation to make

You can see from the video that LRNM slowed well down and was paying close attention to the crossing. He accelerated a bit after the crossing, which shows that he had slowed well down to avoid any such accidents, in my opinion anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

CiniO wrote: »
    Very interesting and nice to have 1st hand info here.

For comparison some ambulance driving from Krakow, Poland.

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Putinbot wrote: »
    fyp

fyp ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

CiniO wrote: »
    fyp ?

Video wasn't showing for me so thought it was broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

The one thing that stands out to me from that video is that the huge majority of people have no idea there's an ambulance coming until its right up their arse. The lack of general awareness is worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

The one thing that stands out to me from that video is that the huge majority of people have no idea there's an ambulance
    True, but we only really see those people in the video as those who are more aware are already out of the way? I'd love to have the op's view. Yes those left behind are the ones that slow the whole process, but does the op see other people actually move out of the way in advance?

I know myself I generally see/hear sirens and am also having to let "late seeers" in/ around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭Damien360

The one thing that stands out to me from that video is that the huge majority of people have no idea there's an ambulance coming until its right up their arse. The lack of general awareness is worrying.

Although it is hard to miss the blue flashing lights, very often it is very hard to work out the direction of the siren when you cannot see the blue lights, particularly in town traffic. The red cow junction during rush hour is a nightmare at the best of times for cars ducking in late into lane anyway and you would be very aware of cars nearby. I agree with earlier comment that ambulance should have stayed right until last minute but as they said, they are not a Dublin region ambulance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

True, but we only really see those people in the video as those who are more aware are already out of the way? I'd love to have the op's view. Yes those left behind are the ones that slow the whole process, but does the op see other people actually move out of the way in advance?

I know myself I generally see/hear sirens and am also having to let "late seeers" in/ around me
    People are generally good and I try guage peoples movements in advanced, sometimes it might take a few seconds for them to notice. 
    Driving on regional roads can be even worse for it though. I've been behind people for a few km and they hadnt a notion until I managed to overtake. Totally not paying attention. 
    I agree with earlier comment that ambulance should have stayed right until last minute 
    Yeah I misjudged the distance a bit, but what I wanted to avoid was getting to a situation where it could be difficult to dart across 3 lanes in such slow moving traffic, which would be dangerous. I know it confused people but sometimes that's just part of what happens when driving on lights. As long as the wheels keep rolling then we're A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭richieffff

tedpan wrote: »
    It looks like he was following another driver who almost missed the junction, but he did miss it but squeezed through.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

It looks like he was following another driver who almost missed the junction, but he did miss it but squeezed through.

Yeah, noticed the other driver. He was either following him or may have even been chasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

that blue CHR was driving like a nutjob.
    jumping lanes all over the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Would you say your ambulance is underpowered LRNM?
    And why can't we do what they do on the continent when it comes to stationary traffic on dual carriageway / motorway and create an emergency lane up the middle besides going far right all the time?

Btw, brilliant driving and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

One of me earlier falling victim to slippy roads. Back wheels went from under me completely. Was lucky I didn't hit another car.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

NufcNavan wrote: »
    One of me earlier falling victim to slippy roads. Back wheels went from under me completely. Was lucky I didn't hit another car.

I've had a couple of squeaky bum moments on that roundabout when the roads are slippy. It's also home to one of my favourite road signs

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3993667,-6.4408885,3a,75y,207.02h,88.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5xN56x5gCiZzX63qcI6riw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I thought you would have lost it as the bend before the roundabout if anything, the surface there is ****e.

Seems you were going a pretty low speed, what tyres are you using? Rear wheel drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

liamog wrote: »
    I've had a couple of squeaky bum moments on that roundabout when the roads are slippy. It's also home to one of my favourite road signs

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3993667,-6.4408885,3a,75y,207.02h,88.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5xN56x5gCiZzX63qcI6riw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

That's funny that you say that. My housemate when I told him also said he spun at that roundabout.

And no I have no rear wheel drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Damien360 wrote: »
    Although it is hard to miss the blue flashing lights, very often it is very hard to work out the direction of the siren when you cannot see the blue lights, particularly in town traffic. The red cow junction during rush hour is a nightmare at the best of times for cars ducking in late into lane anyway and you would be very aware of cars nearby. I agree with earlier comment that ambulance should have stayed right until last minute but as they said, they are not a Dublin region ambulance.

Do they have better sirens in Poland? Seemed a much more variety of tones in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

NufcNavan wrote: »
    That's funny that you say that. My housemate when I told him also said he spun at that roundabout.

And no I have no rear wheel drive.

At a guess I'd say lift off over steer, people put the best tyres on the front and the worn ones on the rear, lift off and the fronts stay stuck and the rear momentum flips you around like a pendulum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lift-off_oversteer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

My FWD car always had under steer there, even in mildly damp conditions!
    Was there any damage?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement