Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hurler32 wrote: »
    Why are 98% of travellers not working- refusing to work - too lazy to work ??. why is this allowed happen ...
    Why should the rest of the population go to work and pay for it ??

again, who d employ them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Ask Leo Vradkar that question, he is the leader of this country.

He does nothing to help the rural people living in fear because its not his parents they are targetting.

His only input into the Presidential debate was to tell people not to vote for Peter Casey, he should have said there are problems within the travelling community but the Presidential election may not have been the right place to air negative views.

Instead he rubbished Peter Casey, three hundred thousand people ignored Leo and he better stop ignoring them.

He is a pathetic Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Why are 98% of travellers not working- refusing to work - too lazy to work ??. why is this allowed happen ...

Who's going to hire them? It's a catch-22 where the prejudice against travellers is pushing them further away from society which further results in them engaging in behaviour which only feeds into the prejudices.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

They do work. Go into any halting site. Vans, small trucks and all the men will be off to "work"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

tretorn wrote: »
    Ask Leo Vradkar that question, he is the leader of this country.

He does nothing to help the rural people living in fear because its not his parents they are targetting.

His only input into the Presidential debate was to tell people not to vote for Peter Casey, he should have said there are problems within the travelling community but the Presidential election may not have been the right place to air negative views.

Instead he rubbished Peter Casey, three hundred thousand people ignored Leo and he better stop ignoring them.

He is a pathetic Taoiseach.
    Excellent post . You understand where the vote for Casey came from . Leo heard the message too . Law and order in the countryside is going to be big in the next election .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I don't think urban voters and commentators understand how frustrated rural voters are

Crime
    Yep, no crime in cities. No sir.

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Yep, no crime in cities. No sir.

I think the difference might be response from the Gardai etc. And the type of crime. Maybe it’s just me but whenever I hear of a burgarly in the new or that it’s more often a rural area and it’s an elderly person who was targeted.

blinding wrote: »
    Excellent post . You understand where the vote for Casey came from . Leo heard the message too . Law and order in the countryside is going to be big in the next election .

If the people living in leafy Foxrock had roving traveller gangs breaking down their doors at 2 AM in the morning you can bet your life Leo would take action.

He can put his money where his mouth is now and instruct Fine Gael TDS to stop blocking the local authority from building a halting site at Mount Anville. There are proposals to build a halting site on the John of Gods land in Stillorgan and Leo can push for progress on that too. RTE have sold a big parcel of land in Donnybrook and it would make an ideal location fora halting site, a nicer place to live you wouldnt find in a month of Sundays.

There is plenty of room in the Phoenix Park for a couple of ten bay halting sites and the advantage of this would be plenty of room for travellers horses. They could be put either adjoining Michael Ds property or else up beside Farmleigh. Isnt Michael D on record as saying he wouldnt have a problem with a halting site, well there you go Michael.

Leo can bring the visiting dignitaries to be wined and dined at our expense up in Farmleigh and I am sure the French and German and Italians politicans would love a tour of the ethic minorities ethnic halting sites, they just better be careful they arent bitten by dogs, the ethnic minority have a bad reputation with animal welfare and I doubt if there are licences for the multitude of dogs they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rory_bellows

It is not coincidental that the areas where Casey enjoyed the highest levels of support around the country were in rural areas where there has been a recurring problem with crime.

This presidential election has inadvertently exposed a decades-old problem that requires urgent and prolonged consideration so that bridges can be built on mutual respect and understanding.

I stopped reading Willianms piece when I got to this bit.

The rural property owners dont need bridges built to understand why travellers are ruining their lives.

They need more special operating teams to be set up to deal with the scourge of gangs using the M50 to get to houses to ransack and then get back to Dublin as fast as possible. This may mean having armed Gardai patrolling the M50 visibly and also surveillance put on members of the travelling community. The judges need to give out proper sentences, ie thirty years with no parole for aggravated burglary and even longer sentences if occupants of houses are assaulted in their own homes. This will send a message to younger travellers, what they see now is their parents thieving right lft and centre and living off a life of crime with no consequences.

There also needs to be a section set up within the Criminal Assets Bureau to examine how travellers can afford to have luxury cars and other trappings of wealth. If they are buying houses and land with cash when they have no visible means of income then these properties should be seized until an explanation is given. I cant give my children money without declaring the gift to Revenue so why should travellers be able to buy property for their children with no . one questioning this.

Its long past time for action to be taken but up to this the general public had no way of making their anger known. The election gave three hundred thousand people an opportunity to speak and now the powers that be know something has to be done. Patronising these very angry people with"they know not what they do' nonsense will ignite the tiny flame.

John Connors knows what this vote could mean for travellers and thats why he is throwing a tantrum on Facebook. If the gutless politicans take action now the worst of the travellers can be dealt with, if we do nothing we will be in the same position in twenty years time but some of the young travellers are now out of control so things will be a lot worse.

travellers are a criminal sub culture nowadays for the most part .

the liberal approach of endless carrot this past thirty years has failed utterly and relations between the two communities have never been worse , we need thirty years of stick to deal with this menace now .

any traveler who is up in court must have legal costs deducted from their welfare

cut child benefit after fourth child , travelers average about seven

cut child benefit entirely for a child if that child does not stay in school until leaving cert

cut the dole of parents who allow their kids to be truant or leave school early

cut any sort of traveler specific grants entirely , no sacred cows in 2018 , treat them as everyone else like peter casey advocates , we hear leftists talk regularly about how " traveller specific " education funding was cut by 80% post crash , the only pity is that it was not cut 100%.

to reiterate , the left have been horribly wrong on travellers for decades yet despite this arrogantly believe they are the arbiters of what debate is allowed in this area , so much so that several journalists came out with the incredibly dopey line in the past few days that president higgins is the man to lead the conversation re _ travelers

is that some kind of joke , higgins is the epitome of political correctness when it comes to this issue and any other , he has nothing to contribute whatsoever bar flowery language which does nothing meaningful to deal with real issues in this area .

enough is enough . travelers have a hell of a lot of atoning to do , irish people are very tolerant but i feel we are at the start of the end when it comes to the dominant lie which is the traveler narrative in this country as prosecuted by the deluded PC media .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

blinding wrote: »

Leo let "the people who get up early" down big time. Many of them voted for Peter Casey because Leo told people to send a message at the ballot box. They sent Leo a message he didn't expect.

It shows how desperate the working poor are when they are prepared to vote for somebody whose opinions are far out. Let it be a warning to the government not to forget "the people who get up early in the morning", the terrorised rural population and to rethink welfare policies and target welfare fraud.

Those who deserve welfare most don't get it (the disabled and carers) while able-bodied people who have never worked seem to get the best welfare deal.

• Advertisement

Are there any halting sites in Leos constituency.

I think there may be one in Carpenstown but thats not really Castleknock.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,142 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Emme wrote: »
    Leo let "the people who get up early" down big time. Many of them voted for Peter Casey because Leo told people to send a message at the ballot box. They sent Leo a message he didn't expect.

It shows how desperate the working poor are when they are prepared to vote for somebody whose opinions are far out. Let it be a warning to the government not to forget "the people who get up early in the morning", the terrorised rural population and to rethink welfare policies and target welfare fraud.

Those who deserve welfare most don't get it (the disabled and carers) while able-bodied people who have never worked seem to get the best welfare deal.

Absolutely correct, let's hope Leo gets the message and is not side tracked by the bleeding heart brigade.

Welfare dependency should not be a lifestyle choice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

What’s going on in Tuam.

Casey got 11,000votes there and you can see how large this vote is when Michael D got 18,000 votes. Something is happening in that town that’s aggravating non travellers.

There are a lot of travellers in Tuam and area

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Emme wrote: »
    I've seen and heard this stuff a lot and whatever about actual dole spongers and that argument, the disabled and carers do get welfare and quite a lot of support in Ireland. Our disabilities benefits are among the highest in the EU and claimed by more people. Plus I've been a carer, so certainly know the story on that score. Now I gather it varies from place to place and the individual needs of the carers and cared for, but the help I got was of huge benefit and would have cost an absolute fortune if I was living somewhere like the US. Having spoken with folks in the UK that went through similar, they got a fraction of the help we did.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Peter Casey didnt get anyone outraged.
    He gave voice to what people think about travellers and what he said was very minor to what people are saying in communities in rural Ireland. These people are afraid to speak out because the travellers have terrified and intimidated them, not because they are sfraid they will be called racist on social media.
    I hope Peter Casey has good security on his house, not many people would say what he did, they would be too afraid for their families.

Not yet, but if he'd gotten in (or ever does get in) you van bet it'll be populist outrage all the way to the hilt. And you can forget about anything ever dealing with any social problem we have because you can guarantee it'll all be someone else's fault.
    Instead of just dismissing this as Donald Trump part 2,they should find out why people voted for him. This is a simplification but here goes. Not all of Trump's voters were rednecks whose grandfathers lynched black people and listen to Fox News 24/7. Many were people felt they weren't being listened to by the establishment and felt disconnected. They knew he was a jerk but voted anyway.

Casey's comments were self-serving but what's more disturbing is the way they're being dismissed. Many people who live in Ireland have no time for travellers and social welfare lifestylers. They don't need to be brainwashed by a TV station to decide that. They're seeing it with their own two eyes. If they're unlucky, they're being affected by it. Yet no politicians have the balls to do anything about it. This is a great country to live in if you are an ethnic minority or are too lazy to work. Working people get the short shrift and it's no wonder they're angry.

This is a shot across the bows and something policy makers should be heeding. At the very least, there needs to be a proper debate about it. Shutting this down and throwing Donald Trump remarks around is counter productive.

Who said anything about me "dismissing"..? I was warning. Very clear on that.

Peter O Casey doesn't give a flying **** about the traveller situation or the people in Ireland. Therefore he needed/needs a convenient and easy target to pick on, especially when it comes to diverting attention from more serious issues and his tax situation, to make it appear that he does.

Sound familiar?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,141 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Try_harder wrote: »
    Maybe rural people not working the land need to stop living in one off rural housing. Cheaper to build- more expensive to service

Sounds nice and reasoned until you actually look at those places and see how little "services" there are.

Granted, postman, maybe. A few schools here and there but only where there are sufficient numbers

Water - often not
    Sewerage - usually not

Broadband - most likely not

Playgrounds/parks for kid - definitely no

While you would be correct to say that the above would be more economical to provide in a built-up area, the fact of the matter is that they are usually not provided in rural areas. So services for people in towns actually usually cost more! (because rural people just don't get them at all)

Couple that with the fact that one-off houses usually have to pay a fairly hefty development levy to the local council.

Oh, and ESB. The new householder has to pay to have the power lines extended to their house (if necessary).

Refuse collection generally privatized too.

Public transport? You can forget about it for the most part. There'll be a few Euro of every rural persons taxes going towards extending the luas or building the metro North or similar that they'll never see the benefit of! Not to mention Dublin bus subsidies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I’m sick of this “meeting in the middle” and “building bridges” rethoric..

Boll1x to that..

Travelers just need stop threatening, assaulting and robbing people.

Then start working, paying tax and contribute positively to society.

Then, and only then, can we talk about building bridges.

I sincerely hope Casey puts a party together. We desparately need an alternative in the next GE.

I like the social democrats but they may be a little PC. I’ll be interested to find out their position on a few topics..

Leo the liar needs that smug arrogant grin wiped off his face. Despite despising FG and Enda Kenny i honestly thought he had potential and was prepared to give him a chance but he’s worse, far far worse.

He’s way too busy checking his hair in the mirror and matching his cringey novelty socks with Trudeau to give a fiddlers about the people he serves..

But then that’s the crux of it. He believes we serve him..

I smell revolution in the air.. we’ll not quite but change is definitely coming and it can’t come quick enough..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Whilst Leo and the rest of the Dublin PC brigade are dismissing those who voted Casey travellers and all the crime is an issue that’s not going away , more cars broken into outside a funeral yesterday by young travellers near us .
    There will be civil war in rural Ireland if the government doesn’t tackle traveller crime .

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Maybe rural people not working the land need to stop living in one off rural housing. Cheaper to build- more expensive to service
    You haven’t a clue have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,145 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Whilst Leo and the rest of the Dublin PC brigade are dismissing those who voted Casey travellers and all the crime is an issue that’s not going away , more cars broken into outside a funeral yesterday by young travellers near us .
    There will be civil war in rural Ireland if the government doesn’t tackle traveller crime .

This is the kinda of sensationalist and irresponsible comment the likes of Casey gives oxygen to tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

And a seven year old would know you can’t buy expensive top of the range cars while living officially on the dole, where are the travellers getting the money to buy these cars and the money to pay for lavish weddings.

Maybe Pavee Point could explain this.

Pavee Point is a sham organisation which seems to have been created solely to give employment to a few chancers. What have they ever achieved?
    The traveller population in prisons has not been reduced.
    The traveller population in education has barely risen.
    Crime among them has not dropped, more of them actually in the drug trade now.
    Fist fighting and goading videos still around.
    Child inter-traveller marriages no drop.
    Violence between traveller gangs at funerals, weddings etc. no change.

Anyone able to state what Pavee Point has achieved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Human Sausage

This is the kinda of sensationalist and irresponsible comment the likes of Casey gives oxygen to tbh.

Apparently, violence (or, in this specific case, discussing violence) in pursuit of one's political aims is okay if they're right-wing aims. One can only imagine the howls of objections here if a left-wing person mooted the idea of violence...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I don't think urban voters and commentators understand how frustrated rural voters are

Crime
    Jobs almost exclusively going to Dublin regiob
    Broadband
    Service what? There are no services! Where are people going to live? They provide for themselves and their families by building a house. Ideally that should be in small villages and towns, but you cannot buy sites like that to build on

Water, sewage, electricity, broadband etc
    Water - local water scheme
    Sewage - septic tank
    Electricity - cost a small fortune to get hooked up
    Broadband, we can only get mobile broadband thanks to the state privatising eircom and destroying investment in the network (and also hoodwinking thousands of small shareholders)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Water - local water scheme
    Sewage - septic tank
    Electricity - cost a small fortune to get hooked up
    Broadband, we can only get mobile broadband thanks to the state privatising eircom and destroying investment in the network (and also hoodwinking thousands of small shareholders)

Those local water schemes run at a loss and are reliant on state subsidies
    It costs more that what Electricity Supply Board to fully connect rural houses
    It costs far more to have broadband in rural scarcely populated areas again government subsidies

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

Rennaws wrote: »
    I’m sick of this “meeting in the middle” and “building bridges” rethoric..

Boll1x to that..

Travelers just need stop threatening, assaulting and robbing people.

Then start working, paying tax and contribute positively to society.

Then, and only then, can we talk about building bridges.

I sincerely hope Casey puts a party together. We desparately need an alternative in the next GE.

I like the social democrats but they may be a little PC. I’ll be interested to find out their position on a few topics..

Leo the liar needs that smug arrogant grin wiped off his face. Despite despising FG and Enda Kenny i honestly thought he had potential and was prepared to give him a chance but he’s worse, far far worse.

He’s way too busy checking his hair in the mirror and matching his cringey novelty socks with Trudeau to give a fiddlers about the people he serves..

But then that’s the crux of it. He believes we serve him..

I smell revolution in the air.. we’ll not quite but change is definitely coming and it can’t come quick enough..

All these threads about travellers are completely dishonest and just a waste of time, because not a single one deals honestly with travellers and employment. Nevermind equality, they haven't had any opportunities for decades. Thats why problems exist with travellers.

So how about posters stop talking complete rubbish and say something that might deal with the issue. And please don't waste your time on anti traveller rhetoric We've heard it all before.
    Unless you've something on how a young traveller can access more employment oppturnities you're just talking to another member of peter caseys 20%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

I've talked to friends etc over the weekend, nearly all of them voted for Casey or didn't vote at all. I've seen certain people say it was just older people that voted Casey, all the Casey voters I talked to are under 40, many in their 20s and fed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The media coverage of the election and Casey in particular has been irresponsible and sensationalist yet attracts no criticism. Jody Corcoran writing in the Sunday Independent states that Casey ran as ugly a campaign as any candidate has run for election to any office in the country. This is patent nonsense. One only has to look at the father of our current Justice minister to look at truly ugly campaigning. During his election campaign he stated
    “we are going ahead with the election campaign in Laois-Offaly against the Jew-Masonic System which is imposed on us. The people are coming to us – but it's hard to get the people to understand how they are held down by the Jews and Masons, who control their very lives."

After his election he used his maiden speech to deliver an address which included the following:

“How is it that we do not see any of these Acts directed against the Jews, who crucified Our Saviour nineteen hundred years ago, and who are crucifying us every day in the week? How is it that we do not see them directed against the Masonic Order? How is it that the I.R.A. is considered an illegal organisation while the Masonic Order is not considered an illegal organisation? There is one thing that Germany did, and that was to rout the Jews out of their country. Until we rout the Jews out of this country it does not matter a hair's breadth what orders you make. Where the bees are there is the honey, and where the Jews are there is the money.”

In my own constituency a TD was shot and subsequently died while out canvassing.

So a couple of non PC remarks is far from ugly in the context of Irish elections.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Human Sausage

I'm sorry people having different opinions is so offensive to you. Would you like a safe space away from the PC meanies?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

All these threads about travellers are completely dishonest and just a waste of time, because not a single one deals honestly with travellers and employment. Nevermind equality, they haven't had any opportunities for decades. Thats why problems exist with travellers.

So how about posters stop talking complete rubbish and say something that might deal with the issue. And please don't waste your time on anti traveller rhetoric We've heard it all before.
    Unless you've something on how a young traveller can access more employment oppturnities you're just talking to another member of peter caseys 20%

Education has a huge influence on employment potential. The nomadic, often chaotic nature of traveller children’s home lives mean many leave education early, without qualifications resulting in poor employment prospects. Add to this the high percentage of male travelers with criminal records and employment becomes harder to attain.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I've talked to friends etc over the weekend, nearly all of them voted for Casey or didn't vote at all. I've seen certain people say it was just older people that voted Casey, all the Casey voters I talked to are under 40, many in their 20s and fed up.

And working

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement