Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

The computer records the wrong vote, and that's user error?

If I press M on my keyboard and the letter W displays on my screen, is that my fault too, or is it a sign that my computer is fundamentally flawed.

The fact the users can review their selections at the end of the process is not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

In Trump Presidency news, the Air Force is getting some grief over $3000+ coffee mugs, which apparently came to light because some airman at a base were using 3d printing to create replacement handles for these mugs - if you dropped a mug the handle tended to break and replacements were crazy expensive. Of all things, everyone's senile darling senator Chuck Grassley is up in arms about it (might be the base in question is in his state.)

This would've been big news in calmer times (i.e., any other previous administration.) Where's William Proxmire and his 'golden fleece' award when you need him?

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/29/politics/air-force-coffee-cups-reheating-chuck-grassley/index.html

And... Trump now going to terminate 'birthright citizenship' via executive order. More grist for the midterms, get rid of those 'anchor babies' and 'chain migrants' (like his wife's parents.)

https://www.axios.com/trump-birthright-citizenship-executive-order-0cf4285a-16c6-48f2-a933-bd71fd72ea82.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=twsocialshare&utm_campaign=organic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Igotadose wrote: »
    And... Trump now going to terminate 'birthright citizenship' via executive order. More grist for the midterms, get rid of those 'anchor babies' and 'chain migrants' (like his wife's parents.)

https://www.axios.com/trump-birthright-citizenship-executive-order-0cf4285a-16c6-48f2-a933-bd71fd72ea82.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=twsocialshare&utm_campaign=organic
    Isn't this something we did as well? Seems a bit of an odd kind of right to be a citizen of a country just by being born in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,006 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Surprised that RICO case hasn't reverberated more than it has.

I am given to understand that this is a big f'n deal. RICO cases have huge resources.

I get it that we are all worn down. The last 2 years have felt like 10. The amount of criminality associated with this administration is incredible, not to mention that DJT is an un-named co-conspirator, which, on its own would have brought down any other president.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Isn't this something we did as well? Seems a bit of an odd kind of right to be a citizen of a country just by being born in it.
    Amendment 14 of the American constitution says Hello...
    Article XIV (Amendment 14 - Rights Guaranteed: Privileges and Immunities of Citizenship, Due Process, and Equal Protection)

1: All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
    But this is Trump; I'm sure his followers will twist this one but accept the armed militia without blinking.

Nody wrote: »

But this is Trump; I'm sure his followers will twist this one but accept the armed militia without blinking.

Well, if Trump sends them, anyway. I remember relatively early on some routine military exercises in I think Texas got all the locals wrapped around their axles about Obama invading, yadda yadda. Now Trump is *sending* maybe 5200 troops - full time active duty best-army-in-the-world to 'the border' and nary a peep.

Oh here it is: The "jade helm conspiracy." Has a Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_Helm_15_conspiracy_theories

Even better, the Russian had a hand in stirring the deplorables up: "
    On May 3, 2018, The Texas Tribune reported that Michael Hayden, a former director of the CIA and NSA said that the "hysteria" surrounding the training exercise "was fueled by Russians wanting to dominate 'the information space.'"[63] Hayden said that Russian bots were used to spread misinformation.[64]"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No more odd than being a citizen of a country that you've never visited just because your parents, or grandparents, happened to previously live there.

They are talking about sending the troops now.

The caravan is 2 months away.

The mid-terms are next week.

As the Americans would say... "you do the math"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Article XIV (Amendment 14 - Rights Guaranteed: Privileges and Immunities of Citizenship, Due Process, and Equal Protection)

1: All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

The axios article linked above says that the angle being worked on is the meaning of the term "and subject to the jurisdiction thereof"

The viewpoint that is being put forward as support for being able to make the change via EO is that this phrase means that you are born to a citizen
    John Eastman, a constitutional scholar and director of Chapman University's Center for Constitutional Jurisprudence, told "Axios on HBO" that the Constitution has been misapplied over the past 40 or so years. He says the line "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" originally referred to people with full, political allegiance to the U.S. — green card holders and citizens.

It'll be fun..

Maybe this is to distract people from the fact that there is no "10% Tax cut for the middle class ,coming before November" ??

• Advertisement

I don't think he can overturn an amendment to the constitution by Executive Order.

It's like his promise before the midterms to give the middle classes a tax break.... when congress isn't and will not be sitting before the midterms.

He's either completely senile, or a lying sack of...

Edit - It must be the former...

https://twitter.com/Stop_Trump20/status/1057017354301984768

robinph wrote: »
    No more odd than being a citizen of a country that you've never visited just because your parents, or grandparents, happened to previously live there.
    Well no. There's a strong link in the case of parents or grandparents. And there's no automatic exclusion from citizenship of your parents who move abroad for work with every intention of retunring home eventually. How would that work if their kids were born while they were abroad for work reasons? Or even whilst on holiday?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Well no. There's a strong link in the case of parents or grandparents. And there's no automatic exclusion from citizenship of your parents who move abroad for work with every intention of retunring home eventually. How would that work if their kids were born while they were abroad for work reasons? Or even whilst on holiday?

How is there a strong link just because your grandparents are from somewhere?

There might be strong links, but it's not a requirement for there to be as far as the child in question is concerned. It's just a bit of paper that the parents or grandparents happen to have in their possession, but those generations may have spent their entire life living elsewhere, nevermind any contact with the country in question for the child.

At least if you grant citizenship based on the location of birth then that is something that actually happened to the child. By chance maybe, but it happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

It's a common thing over in the new world. When you are colonising it makes it a bit difficult to get citizenship from your parents when they aren't from there.

robinph wrote: »
    How is there a strong link just because your grandparents are from somewhere?

There might be strong links, but it's not a requirement for there to be as far as the child in question is concerned. It's just a bit of paper that the parents or grandparents happen to have in their possession, but those generations may have spent their entire life living elsewhere, nevermind any contact with the country in question for the child.

At least if you grant citizenship based on the location of birth then that is something that actually happened to the child. By chance maybe, but it happened.
    Leaving aside grandparents - because that's not a universal thing and even in our case, requires a lot of paperwork and hoops to jump through and even then may not be granted - But as I pointed out above, being born to Irish parents whilst living abroad, absolutely must entitle the child to Irish citizenship. You can't just wave that away as a piece of paper. If you follow that through to its logical conclusion, you could have children who end up being stateless because the country they are born in doesn't recognise them as citizens by virtue of their being born there.

Leaving aside grandparents - because that's not a universal thing and even in our case, requires a lot of paperwork and hoops to jump through and even then may not be granted - But as I pointed out above, being born to Irish parents whilst living abroad, absolutely must entitle the child to Irish citizenship. You can't just wave that away as a piece of paper. If you follow that through to its logical conclusion, you could have children who end up being stateless because the country they are born in doesn't recognise them as citizens by virtue of their being born there.

Absolutely, not saying get rid of inheriting citizenship. Just that it is no more weird an idea than granting citizenship based on the location where you were born.

In most cases you just end up with the option of dual nationality.

Its all a distraction anyway.

An idea he cannot fulfil. It just stops people talking about murdered a Saudi Journalist, the pipe bombs, the jew mass killing, the nasty rhetoric that provoked the latter two incidents, the low approval ratings, the RICO case, the nonsense of an "invasion" via the southern boarder etc etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

^^^^Nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

everlast75 wrote: »

How many embarrassing plane boarding/disembarking videos have there been in the last few weeks? There is definitely a case. The only other times we see him is mumbling garbage. Would love to be a fly on the way in the WH.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

everlast75 wrote: »
    Its all a distraction anyway.

An idea he cannot fulfil. It just stops people talking about murdered a Saudi Journalist, the pipe bombs, the jew mass killing, the nasty rhetoric that provoked the latter two incidents, the low approval ratings, the RICO case, the nonsense of an "invasion" via the southern boarder etc etc etc etc

Exactly , just like sending the Army to the border now to "defend it against the caravan" that won't be there for at least another 6 or 8 weeks , if it gets there at all..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So as others have said this citizenship by birthright removal is clearly a distraction a week before the midterms. He did have this on his original manifesto in 2015 but nothing happened for over three years ? Okay then we'll see how much traction this gets. Also, it'll be interesting to see if he actually does try and remove this by executive order when it's covered under the 14th amendment of the US constitution. I find it hard to believe he can just do it as if the president can use an executive order to go around the Constitution couldn't the 2nd ammendment have been removed/altered by obama(as was the fear) ?

Also, the Supreme Court will no doubt be brought into this if he tries it because isn't the court the protector of the constitution ? Also the US constitution is held up as some magical document by many in America and is sacrosanct and can't be touched. So how will they react to a president running afoul of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Trump: We're the only country in the world that offers birthright citizenship.

Reality: Countries Who Offer Birthright Citizenship

1 Antigua and Barbuda
    2 Argentina
    3 Barbados
    4 Belize
    5 Bolivia
    6 Brazil
    7 Canada
    8 Chile
    9 Cuba
    10 Dominica
    11 Ecuador
    12 El Salvador
    13 Fiji
    14 Grenada
    15 Guatemala
    16 Guyana
    17 Honduras
    18 Jamaica
    19 Mexico
    20 Nicaragua
    21 Panama
    22 Paraguay
    23 Peru
    24 Saint Kitts and Nevis
    25 Saint Lucia
    26 Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
    27 Trinidad and Tobago
    28 United States
    29 Uruguay
    30 Venezuela

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So as others have said this citizenship by birthright removal is clearly a distraction a week before the midterms. He did have this on his original manifesto in 2015 but nothing happened for over three years ? Okay then we'll see how much traction this gets. Also, it'll be interesting to see if he actually does try and remove this by executive order when it's covered under the 14th amendment of the US constitution. I find it hard to believe he can just do it as if the president can use an executive order to go around the Constitution couldn't the 2nd ammendment have been removed/altered by obama(as was the fear) ?

Also, the Supreme Court will no doubt be brought into this if he tries it because isn't the court the protector of the constitution ? Also the US constitution is held up as some magical document by many in America and is sacrosanct and can't be touched. So how will they react to a president running afoul of it ?

Only if it works in their favour sadly...

See for example how the "constitutionalists" were quite happy for the 2nd amendment to be reinterpreted in District of Columbia vs. Heller when the change supported their views , but who utterly lose their minds at the thought of there being some future reinterpretation in the other direction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Quin_Dub wrote: »

Only if it works in their favour sadly...

See for example how the "constitutionalists" were quite happy for the 2nd amendment to be reinterpreted in District of Columbia vs. Heller when the change supported their views , but who utterly lose their minds at the thought of there being some future reinterpretation in the other direction.

It wasn’t a reinterpretation. What made Heller particularly fascinating for legal scholars was the fact that it was the first time in over a century that the Supreme Court had tackled a direct Constitutional matter de novo. There was no previous interpretation to reinterpret, they were basically starting from scratch at the federal level.

A woman has contacted the press to say that she was contacted by someone who wanted to swear an Affidavit to the effect that she was harrassed by Mueller back in 1974.

The matter has been referred to the FBI

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm a bit confused: to be clear from what I"m reading via other sources, the woman is claiming she was approached to make a false affidavit? The wording of the above is a little unclear IMO

I'm watching sheppard smith on Fox News for the past twenty minutes and you can tell he isn't buying any of Trumps rubbish on the troops on the border. He must have an iron clad contract because how Sean hannity hasnt used his pull to get shep to tow the party line I dont know.

I hope there isn't any unpleasant scenes in Pittsburgh but CNN are showing people gathering for some kind of protest and it seems many leaders of the area aren't happy he's coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I wonder what crass combination of words he'll knit together today. Who will be blame by implication. The dead, the church, foreign elements, or a nasty bigot with a gun and only him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I hope there isn't any unpleasant scenes in Pittsburgh but CNN are showing people gathering for some kind of protest and it seems many leaders of the area aren't happy he's coming.

Seems neither the Mayor or Governor will be there to greet him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement