Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Well IMO, one thing is for sure, the Casey issue has taken the heat off SF for their abysmal performance in the Prez election. Bet they are delighted they don't have to justify this, instead they will watch from the sidelines as the media and the ordinary working man/woman fight it out.

SF, oh yes. I would personally think that there are a number of SF TDs and members who might just branch off eventually. The whiff of cordite and Kingsmill bread on the head etc. is just so toxic to those SF wish to woo.

Have SF ever achieved the percentage that Casey did ? Most of the viterol I see directed at Casey and people that voted for him is coming from SF supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

He can add a few items to his manifesto:

Shut down RTE

I'd vote for that

quite correctly that will not be happening. rte isn't going anywhere.
    If every traveller was more like Andy Lee then we wouldn’t have prejudices against them.

oh yes you would. a number of people don't hi-light the issues in the traveling community because they care, but because they want to use them as a stick to beat the travelers as a whole with.
    tretorn wrote: »
    I am happy enough that settled people are called to account for their crimes and that generally for most settled people crime doesnt pay. If the proportion of settled people in prison was the same as the miniscule traveller population that would mean prisons in every townland.

The problem with travellers and crime is that they are untouchable and anyone who mentions their propeensit y for breaking laws in called a racist.

I understand you are probably employed by Pavee Point and of course you dont want any questions asked of travellers.

in what way are travelers untouchible? the same laws apply to them as everyone else. travelers are caught and imprisoned, if they were untouchible then this couldn't happen. for members of both communities crime very much does pay.
    on what basis do you assert the poster is probably employed by pavee point? or is it the usual makey uppy that some posters tend to engage in on here toards people that debunk their points?
    Oddly enough I seem to recall the Shinners weren't cheerleading Tubridy and RTE when he tried to ambush and corner Gerry Adams. Tubs also failed in that attempt. Tubridy is not able to take people down.

that's because Gerry Adams had allegations thrown at him which there was no proof for. Gerry Adams whether you like it or not is an innocent man until such time as it is proven in a court of law that he is guilty of any of the allegations thrown at him.
    In fairness Tubs should have asked Sinn Fein for advice. Lots of ambush experience with those lads.

you are thinking of the ira. not sf.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Gerry Adams whether you like it or not is an innocent man until such time as it is proven in a court of law that he is guilty of any of the allegations thrown at him.

The white OJ Simpson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The one thing Casey needs to push is for all scrap metal recyclers to stop paying cash for scrap metal brought in to them.it’s a joke that Johnny no job is able to drive in with a trailer of scrap weigh in and weigh out and get paid in cash on the spot.
    All they do is ask your name no id no bank account no tax.
    If it was paid into an account at least there would be a trail.
    It might also put a stop to Johnny no job scouring the countryside like a feral vulture gathering his stash.
    And after 5 or 6 days of this “work” it’s off to the post office for their entitlements.
    A fcukin jokeshop if there was ever one

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Have SF ever achieved the percentage that Casey did ? Most of the viterol I see directed at Casey and people that voted for him is coming from SF supporters.

Bingo!

SF is a failed entity here. They are ok up North it seems, but they never seem to reach the heights they wish to here. People here are too savvy and many see SF as toxic and tied to the Northern Brethren completely, and all that implies.

If they fekkin said that working people deserve this and that, and that Travellers are a scourge, well then they might carve out a niche. But no.

All political parties in this countries should merge as none of them is any different to the other. Then we will have the dictatorship some demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The one thing Casey needs to push is for all scrap metal recyclers to stop paying cash for scrap metal brought in to them.it’s a joke that Johnny no job is able to drive in with a trailer of scrap weigh in and weigh out and get paid in cash on the spot.
    It might also put a stop to Johnny no job scouring the countryside like a feral vulture gathering his stash.
    And after 5 or 6 days of this “work” it’s off to the post office for their entitlements.

The normal politicians are on to that already. You can report the cases you know about to the Gardai.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/SP14000168

• Registered Users Posts: 67,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

wexie wrote: »
    Serious question here for ya Francie, would you have been less upset if he had said :

"many (or even "some")travelers are basically people who camp on other people's land"? Thereby acknowledging that some don't?

Are you denying that many travelers do camp on other people's land?

Just trying to figure out what it is you're objecting to? The generalization that all travelers camp on other people's land (we know and accept that some don't) or the fact he pointed out that some do?

I took him at face value.

It isn't for me to parse or try to understand what he may have been getting at.

He was asked to own what he said - couldn't for a second back it up on a number of occasions.

And now we have page after page of people getting offended because he was challenged on his bogus remarks.
    Bogus, because he hasn't been able to back them up.

By the way, I asked earlier, but can any of you link me to comments he made on traveller crimes in rural Ireland? Because you all seem to think that was what he was referring to.

Is this true? I suppose it is.

Maybe it's a Revenue issue so.

But there is fear out there in tackling anything Traveller related. That needs to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

He was asked to own what he said - couldn't for a second back it up on a number of occasions.

And now we have page after page of people getting offended because he was challenged on his bogus remarks.

By the way, I asked earlier, but can any of you link me to comments he made on traveller crimes in rural Ireland? Because you all seem to think that was what he was referring to.

That doesn't answer my question, not even close :

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They're just like you Francie listening to what Casey said and taking their own meanings from it.
    Travellers refused perfectly good homes because they wanted more. Casey called them out on it and they got offended as did many of you.

Face value??? Right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

you are thinking of the ira. not sf.

SF/IRA dual membership.

Omackeral wrote: »
    It seems that you think anyone who voted for Casey is part of a hive mind of bigotry and hatred. It's so weird. Plenty of the ''bigots'' who voted for Marriage Equality to be introduced voted for Mr Casey, explain that one.

No problem agreeing that some voted for Casey for genuine reasons.

I always knew that there was a nasty strain of prejudice extant in the country. No doubt Casey finally motivated them out to vote. And it is great to see them challenged and made to look like what they are. Prejudiced and intolerant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Is this true? I suppose it is.

Maybe it's a Revenue issue so.

But there is fear out there in tackling anything Traveller related. That needs to change.

It is true.ive seen it happen several times lately.they ask your name and give you a docket with the weight on.give it to the woman in the office and she pays you in cash.ask any farmers who clean up a yard and go in with scrap.

wexie wrote: »
    That doesn't answer my question, not even close :

As a percentage of the total who identify as travellers, a tiny minority do. Would it even reach 5000? Doubt it.

I always knew that there was a nasty strain of prejudice extant in the country. No doubt Casey finally motivated them out to vote. And it is great to see them challenged and made to look like what they are. Prejudiced and intolerant.

You ok Hun?
    A week later and you're still taking it badly.

You ok Hun?
    A week later and you're still taking it badly.

No, I said it several times. Re: the Presidential election - this is one happy democrat, with the result.

Re: the prejudiced and intolerant out in the open now. Couldn't be any more delighted with that.

No, I said it several times. Re: the Presidential election - this is one happy democrat, with the result.

Re: the prejudiced and intolerant out in the open now. Couldn't be any more delighted with that.

Not coming across like that Francie.
    Not like that at all.

Not coming across like that Francie.
    Not like that at all.

Well, I have been enjoying the 'the whole establishment are agin us' stuff immensely, and predicted it was coming last night too.

The normal politicians are on to that already. You can report the cases you know about to the Gardai.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/SP14000168

That PM Bill was not supported by Donoghue.

Well, I have been enjoying the 'the whole establishment are agin us' stuff immensely, and predicted it was coming last night too.

Me too. Especially the way the faux "offended" behaved around having no problems living next to halting sites. I enjoyed that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Hey! For the people who are convinced he is using hate speech, as an ex-Garda who tried to get someone prosecuted for something similar (but had a lot more intention behind it) and it got nowhere. What Casey said is not, and will not, be seen as hate speech in the eyes of the law.

If he was standing on a stage, telling us how terrible travellers are and telling us what we should do about it, that is hate speech. He was asked a question, he answered it with his OPINION. That is not hate speech and never should be, as we are crossing a very fine line between opinions and hate.

Hey! For the people who are convinced he is using hate speech, as an ex-Garda who tried to get someone prosecuted for something similar (but had a lot more intention behind it) and it got nowhere. What Casey said is not, and will not, be seen as hate speech in the eyes of the law.

If he was standing on a stage, telling us how terrible travellers are and telling us what we should do about it, that is hate speech. He was asked a question, he answered it with his OPINION. That is not hate speech and never should be, as we are crossing a very fine line between opinions and hate.

But shore most of us already knew that.
    I hope the lad with the highest number of posts understand it now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Why is there prejudice?

The Act disagrees with you.

He cannot hide behind 'it is just my opinion'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

MFPM wrote: »
    Short and sweet...I'll take that as a further indication of your cowardice to engage..

Are you suggesting that Judges imprison members of the settled community but let Travellers go? If not how do you suggest one community is accountable and one isn't. There's alot of settled people invoved in crime so clearly many don't agree with you about crime not paying!

Ah this old chestnut :) Tell me how do you account for a far higher number of people in Mountjoy with an address in Dublin 1 than Dublin 4? They're all settled, they all live in Dublin....what explains the difference?

Hold on - you just stated this 'If the proportion of settled people in prison was the same as the miniscule traveller population' - if the numbers are so high, how are so many 'untouchable' - it rather contradicts your theory doesn't it? :D

I asked you earlier not to make unfounded assertions about me and here you go again. I don't work for any NGO nor am I a Traveller, I'm a PAYE worker but I have a modicum of intellect and I'm able to see through bigotry when confronted by it - try it sometime, you could relieve yourself of a whole heap of hate if you tried.

No point in engaging with you, its like going round a carousel and arriving back at the same point.

If Margaret Cash has almost forty convictions to her name and she is still shopping in Penneys without actually handing over money to pay for her goods then Gods knows what crimes the travellers who are in prison have committed. They are well over represented in the prison population the same way as they are over represented in insurance fraud for example. Facts are facts so off with you and your nonsense.

You stilll havent told me why I should respect anything about the traveller culture or lifestyle, answers on a stamp will do.

Why is there prejudice?

Why indeed. I'm not qualified in that subject, but I would imagine that prejudice against any race or ethnicity grows around the spreading of mis-information and generalisation of issues surrounding them.

Take the 'travellers are basically people who camp on other people's land' one, that is not based on any facts at all as census material shows us that over 70% are in permanent housing. The myth persists because it is spread by people like Casey to an audience that clearly cannot think for themselves or access the actual factual data themselves.

The Act disagrees with you.

He cannot hide behind 'it is just my opinion'.

The point is that he's not hiding behind anything.
    I'm waiting to see what they'll charge him with but I think I'll have a long wait.
    At least we know that they're investigating your complaint Francie.
    How many years do you think he'll get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Has anyone read the full page article in today’s Irish Times by Rosita Boland?
    “Abusing Travellers is racism for liberals”

During the journalists visit to a traveller encampment a child brought in an anonymous note from a letter box which the journalist had to read because the parents couldn’t read. The note contained 2 cartridges and a threat that if they didn’t stop racing their horses on the road one of them would be killed.

One of the Travellers later said “we saw Peter Casey on the TV. We were shocked at what he said. He didn’t say anything good at all about us. He is definitely a racist”.

I read the article.

The note was full of spelling mistakes so the travellers probably posted it to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,484 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

It isn't a problem for me, as I believe he indulged in hate speech and incited it. look at this thread as an example.

I think you're in a bit of a fantasy land. Casey wasn't exactly setting the world alight last night with his oration but he wasn't indulging in hate speech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

The whole point of racism is that a person is of a different race. You can't have racism against a minority group that is not of a different race.

I mean how ****ing braindead do you have to be to come up with that? You couldn't make this **** up.

This does not/should not get the dignity of an argument. There is no opinion and counteropinion to this, it's a joke.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement