Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yi Home Camera

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Is the 1080p version still discounted?

What sort of range do they have outside? I want to keep an eye on my motorbike and it'll be a few meters away from the house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

insular1 wrote: »
    How much of a delay is there between the camera picking up an image and it displaying on the phone for these? Thinking about picking one up for a baby monitor. Have a couple Arlo cams and they are great but the video stream on the phone lags about 5-10 seconds behind the live event and seems to depend on how good my wifi signal is at the time. Perfect for monitoring when away from home but didn't work as baby camera as you'd hear a noise upstairs and have to wait 5 seconds and be running half way to the room before the image would show that she had just thrown a toy out of the cot or something. Not good for my wife's nerves, or mine for that matter! ðŸ˜

Within a second on WiFi. The longest delay would be firing up the app. You could just have it running on a tablet/phone and turn off screensaver.
    The desktop app allows you to group cameras so you can have multiple views at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Is the 1080p version still discounted?

What sort of range do they have outside? I want to keep an eye on my motorbike and it'll be a few meters away from the house

Not currently but set an alert up for camelcamel or hukd and you'll see when they are discounted

What do you mean by range? WiFi range or viewing range. WiFi seems about standard, but keep in mind it's likely to be in the outside of an external wall so could be an issue.
    Viewing range seems fine. It's 1080P and I have no problem identifying people who are 20m away

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

stesaurus wrote: »
    Not currently but set an alert up for camelcamel or hukd and you'll see when they are discounted

What do you mean by range? WiFi range or viewing range. WiFi seems about standard, but keep in mind it's likely to be in the outside of an external wall so could be an issue.
    Viewing range seems fine. It's 1080P and I have no problem identifying people who are 20m away

Good idea thanks for that.

I mean the viewing range, perfect the bike will well within 20 meters

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Thinking of getting a Yi outdoor cam. Out of interest, how solid are this company? If they fold I don't want to be left with a bricked IP cam because the cloud service is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

jon1981 wrote: »
    Thinking of getting a Yi outdoor cam. Out of interest, how solid are this company? If they fold I don't want to be left with a bricked IP cam because the cloud service is gone.

Good, question, probably the honest answer is we don't know.

They are a new company, started just 4 years ago, but seem to have really taken off and have spread. But honestly no guarantee. On the other hand, their cameras and subs are like half the price of Nest, etc. so could be worth a gamble.

You could go with Logitech Circle or Nest instead, but they definitely require a subscription. Another option would be a basic CCTV camera connected to a NVR.

https://www.ft.com/content/ed28f99c-6e0c-11e6-a0c9-1365ce54b926

Yi Technology, China’s answer to GoPro, is expanding into the drone market after raising $90m from investors, throwing down the gauntlet to competitors such as DJI and GoPro.

Drones and action cameras are among the fastest-growing consumer technology products, and competition from Chinese hardware makers poses an ever-increasing challenge to rivals in Silicon Valley.

Shanghai-based Yi, founded in 2013, is relatively unknown in the US, but its rapid sales growth, particularly in low-priced cameras, is having an impact on camera makers such as GoPro.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

bk wrote: »
    Good, question, probably the honest answer is we don't know.

They are a new company, started just 4 years ago, but seem to have really taken off and have spread. But honestly no guarantee. On the other hand, their cameras and subs are like half the price of Nest, etc. so could be worth a gamble.

You could go with Logitech Circle or Nest instead, but they definitely require a subscription. Another option would be a basic CCTV camera connected to a NVR.

No need for a sub at all that’s why I went with them. With the sd card it’ll always store locally. So if they went belly up , get a refund from amazon. And if you need footage you could still get it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've been running a Yi indoor cam for a year and a half and it's been great. I've been thinking about getting one of the outdoor yi cams for a while but I've read some bad reports online. Some of the reviews I've found say that the camera goes offline randomly and needs to be power cycled to come back. Not ideal if you're away from the house. But I suspect this is a frimware issue, and Yi are quite good at supporting their products.

ted1 wrote: »
    No need for a sub at all that’s why I went with them. With the sd card it’ll always store locally. So if they went belly up , get a refund from amazon. And if you need footage you could still get it.

The main reason really I'm interested in the Cloud service is in the event of the camera being tampered with. If the little feckers cop on there's a SD card in it, they'll just rip it off the wall. At least I'd have the footage. Problem is I also can't mount it high enough to ensure it won't be out of reach entirely. About 7-8 foot up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The main reason really I'm interested in the Cloud service is in the event of the camera being tampered with. If the little feckers cop on there's a SD card in it, they'll just rip it off the wall. At least I'd have the footage. Problem is I also can't mount it high enough to ensure it won't be out of reach entirely. About 7-8 foot up.

They offer 8 seconds motion activated video for free in the cloud, but if you need more, their subscription options are here:

https://www.yitechnology.com/homecamera/yi_cloud_euro.html#ssso

There is always Logitech Circle, Nest as alternatives if you need.

I see the cloud service is hosted in China. What are the latency like when there is a motion detection trigger?

I see the cloud service is hosted in China. What are the latency like when there is a motion detection trigger?

I just tried, 40 seconds. Of course might differ for you based on time, etc.

My logitech Circle Cameras seem to be about 20 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Mike1961

I've had the YI indoor cam for a few months now. Recently it stopped recording to the microSD card. I've had to reformat the card several times .... but normal service is only resumed for a short time before it stops recording again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I got a couple of these last week. In fairness for the price they are quite impressive.

I don't suppose there is an easy way to tie recording and/or alerts to whether or not I am at home? My thermostat for example knows when I'm at home from my phone location and decides whether or not the heating should be on based on that.

I presume I will need to go the Home Assistant route to get similar functionality with these?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I see the Yi outdoor cam is down to 39.99 when you add it to your cart/checkout. I just ordered one, so I'll see how I fair.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-Wireless-Weatherproof-Surveillance-Detection-H30/dp/B0776V3CG5/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543937397&sr=8-3&keywords=yi+outdoor+camera
    keane2097 wrote: »
    I got a couple of these last week. In fairness for the price they are quite impressive.

I don't suppose there is an easy way to tie recording and/or alerts to whether or not I am at home? My thermostat for example knows when I'm at home from my phone location and decides whether or not the heating should be on based on that.

I presume I will need to go the Home Assistant route to get similar functionality with these?

I don't think the Yi Home app has that functionality unfortunately.

I see the Yi outdoor cam is down to 39.99 when you add it to your cart/checkout. I just ordered one, so I'll see how I fair.

Uh.. Excellent deal, I paid £54 during Black Friday sales!! Great price for it.

bk wrote: »
    Uh.. Excellent deal, I paid £54 during Black Friday sales!! Great price for it.

Ha, I ordered the same for black friday, and checked my order this morning only to see that it hadn't been dispatched yet and noticed the price change. Cancelled the original and re-ordered!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

I don't think the Yi Home app has that functionality unfortunately.

Where you getting that price? Amazon?

• Advertisement

Ha, I ordered the same for black friday, and checked my order this morning only to see that it hadn't been dispatched yet and noticed the price change. Cancelled the original and re-ordered!

Ah, lucky you :) mine shipped very fast, but the others bits I needed to set it up, cables etc. still haven't arrived, so it is still sitting in the box, typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Wow been looking at pulling the trigger and this is way too tempting. Thanks

Edit....I bought £39.99 delivered. Thanks again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

thanks for that, at that price had to give one a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

:( i got one around black friday too and it was ~60gbp!!

re this...
    iSpy is free and open source. It can scan for IP cameras on your network and attempt to build a URL based on a massive database of known devices/URLs. Otherwise you could do a packet capture on your network to find what's likely an rtsp url of some sort.

I've done so for some relatively unknown d-link camera model and managed to build a user and pass protected rtsp url from it.

Linky

and this...
    Nelbert wrote: »
    Can you connect to this without the app? I've a synology nas that I'm on the lookout for a cheap IP camera for i.e. I'd rather a straight IP link to the synology and then use the synology for viewing. removes the reliance on a app which may be abandoned if / when a new model is released.

These don't have a rtsp stream or similar that is visible - its pretty much locked down in that regard.

However, for anyone interested in that type of thing, there is a hack you can load to gain access to the camera via telnet.
    Further, there is a binary you can load on to give you an rtsp feed. Involves replacing the firmware.
    Following are supported.

Yi Home 17CN / 27US / 47US Camera
    Yi 1080p Home Camera
    Yi Dome Camera
    Yi 1080p Dome Camera

See the github "project" for details.
    https://github.com/shadow-1/yi-hack-v3

There are specific instructions for the outdoor camera (its not one of the 4 above, but people are actively working on it) - but they haven't managed to get the rtsp feed going on that one yet...
    See the discussion here for details about getting the telnet access
    https://github.com/shadow-1/yi-hack-v3/issues/82
    and here where the guy has rtsp server running on outdoor camera, but not quite well enough to use.
    https://github.com/shadow-1/yi-hack-v3/issues/228

I believe (from reading above) that the camera will still work as normal with the app/cloud etc after applying said hacks.

Usual warnings/disclaimers apply - above involves loading firmware not supplied by the company so you risk damaging the camera etc
    I haven't done it yet - but wll do as soon as i get time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Where would one find the rtsp binary? :)

Where would one find the rtsp binary? :)

I still haven't loaded this yet... But it looks like it will be buried in the firmware update that you load. It doesn't say anything about rtsp on the main page, but from reading around the discussion in the "issues" section, to me, it looks like it is in there.

The firmware you load will depend on the camera you have.
    Step by step guide is here.
    https://github.com/shadow-1/yi-hack-v3#getting-started---step-by-step-guide

Firmware releases are here.
    https://github.com/shadow-1/yi-hack-v3/releases

re the outdoor 1080 cam, the discussion seems to be gone a bit stale.

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    I still haven't loaded this yet... But it looks like it will be buried in the firmware update that you load.

I've loaded it successfully on a Dome 1080p camera and no sign of the bianrys on the filesystem/sdcard.

find / -name rtsp*

It does look like it's not included according to this issue
    https://github.com/shadow-1/yi-hack-v3/issues/15

Only real reason I wanted to hack it.

Edit:
    Although, I may give this a go later
    https://github.com/shadow-1/yi-hack-v3/issues/92#issuecomment-416884641

ah ok :) - you're way ahead of me.
    I see now (after you asked) it says nothing about rtsp in the main features - but i got the sense it was around somewhere, because people had referenced it alot in the discussions i read.
    Looks like you stumbled onto some of it too :)

For me it might be enough if I can even ftp some video off it. It'll be interesting to dig around.

Yeap ftp works fine, no password set by default.

Recording are in /tmp/sd/record/%DATE%

C:\Users>ftp 192.168.1.103
    Connected to 192.168.1.103.
    220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] ----------
    220-You are user number 2 of 50 allowed.
    220-Local time is now 15:22. Server port: 21.
    220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
    504 Unknown command
    User (192.168.1.103:(none)): root
    331 User root OK. Password required
    Password:
    230 OK. Current directory is /root
    ftp> ls /tmp/sd/record/2018Y12M10D14H
    200 PORT command successful
    150 Connecting to port 58741
    17M06S.mp4
    18M00S.mp4
    23M06S.mp4
    24M00S.mp4
    226 4 matches total
    ftp: 51 bytes received in 0.00Seconds 51000.00Kbytes/sec.
    ftp> quit
    221-Goodbye. You uploaded 0 and downloaded 0 kbytes.
    221 Logout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭b.gud

Let me know if it works for you, was planning on trying it myself but haven't had the time, new born baby at home :), to try it out

Advertisement