Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Considering an upgrade, Rolec charger is approaching 4 years old and with the i3 purchase I qualify for the grant.

I want something that balances the load, to negate the need for a priority switch. And also be future proof for integration with solar.

Any recommendations, aside from the Zappi?

There are a few out there that do load limiting but I dont know if anyone has tried them in Ireland yet. The Zappi is king at the moment as it was first to market and it has load limiting and Solar integration and has local suppliers.

Some others have Solar integration or load limiting but not both.
    https://circontrol.com/intelligent-charging-solutions/wallbox-series/wallbox-ehome/
    https://www.solaredge.com/uk/products/ev-charger#/

This one also has Solar, load limiting and balancing (i.e. everything you need) but its premium priced(€1k+!)
    https://andersen-ev.com/andersen-a2/

Its trying to get one that is available here, at a reasonable price, that can do it all.... The Zappi seems to be the only show in town at the moment at ~€580

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Best quote I have so far is €942, minus the €600 for the grant leaves €342.

The charger is €585 but I'd also need a Harvi unit to do the work of th priority switch and that's about €100 on its own.

The €342 net includes the charger and harvi and installation.

Best quote I have so far is €942, minus the €600 for the grant leaves €342.

The charger is €585 but I'd also need a Harvi unit to do the work of th priority switch and that's about €100 on its own.

The €342 net includes the charger and harvi and installation.

The Harvi is only required if you cant get a cable from your mains feed(either meter box or consumer unit) back to the Zappi.
    Is that not possible for you?

Its down to effort involved I suppose. It might be easier to pay the €100 for the Harvi. Personally I try to avoid wireless connections as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭TheChizler

KCross wrote: »
    So, if you have no Solar excess and/or the car is never at home during the day and you will never have two EV's in the house then fair enough, the Zappi has no value and then stick with the cheaper models.

Considering getting the Zappi as the wasn't much of a difference in price between it and the cheaper ones I was quoted and it really looked the best visually, no prospect of PV in the house. Which would be the cheaper ones in your mind? Have I been getting quotes from the wrong places?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

TheChizler wrote: »
    Considering getting the Zappi as the wasn't much of a difference in price between it and the cheaper ones I was quoted and it really looked the best visually, no prospect of PV in the house. Which would be the cheaper ones in your mind? Have I been getting quotes from the wrong places?

As K said.that charger runs the Irish market because is common language and wiring, and electricians knows how to install it. Ask to create an account or configure on the laptop and they say is a bad charger... or too much time.

I got mine from H E R E ...looks not the cheaper one in any form but integrated very well with mobile app remote control, along my other controls inside the house.
    All in the house controlled of my phone.

Not sure how may help anyone but read above couple of posts and decide what you need...

Most important !!!: don't do any work until you receive SEAI grant letter approved

[url][/url]

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what you mean about the app but pricewise that looks a good bit more expensive than the Zappi. It's the only advantage the app and WiFi?

I'm not sure what you mean about the app but pricewise that looks a good bit more expensive than the Zappi. It's the only advantage the app and WiFi?

To be honest,i cannot answer that question as it's purely personal based choice. Do your home work... ;)

Was upset that everyone recommended a single type of product that they were familiar with and,after searching online,went with the most expensive model.Easy peasy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

“The Harvi is only required if you cant get a cable from your mains feed(either meter box or consumer unit) back to the Zappi“

I thought the EV Charger must be installed back to the consumer unit? I’ve read numerous times the meter box is off limits.

rolion wrote: »
    To be honest,i cannot answer that question as it's purely personal based choice. Do your home work... ;)
    Well I asked for recommendations on cheaper models over Zappi and you mentioned this one, thought there might be a good reason for it considering its not cheaper at all ;)

I'm doing the research on behalf of my mother and the Zappi so far is the only one she wouldn't mind plonked on the front of the house in terms of visuals. I can't see any programability in the charger itself really being used, so probably don't need that feature.

Batesy wrote: »
    I thought the EV Charger must be installed back to the consumer unit? I’ve read numerous times the meter box is off limits.
    That's for a current monitoring clamp, doesn't require any wiring at the meter.

• Advertisement

The cheap end of the market is more or less the Rolec's. They are about £100 cheaper than the Zappi if you buy direct from the UK.

The cheap end of the market is more or less the Rolec's. They are about £100 cheaper than the Zappi if you buy direct from the UK.
    Still cheeky money considering what you'd actually get away with in the box; a connector, some relays and very basic circuitry to implement the SAE J1772 protocol. I guess it will come down with economies of scale when EVs are mainsteam. The cynic in me would also say the various EVSE grants set the guide price around €5/600 ;)

The Harvi is only required if you cant get a cable from your mains feed(either meter box or consumer unit) back to the Zappi.
    Is that not possible for you?

Its down to effort involved I suppose. It might be easier to pay the €100 for the Harvi. Personally I try to avoid wireless connections as much as possible.

My charger is in the garage, main fuse board is in the house and there is a smaller one in the garage.

Extra wiring is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,025 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Still cheeky money considering what you'd actually get away with in the box; a connector, some relays and very basic circuitry to implement the SAE J1772 protocol. I guess it will come down with economies of scale when EVs are mainsteam. The cynic in me would also say the various EVSE grants set the guide price around €5/600 ;)

Agreed. Buy a second hand 32A EVSE and find a decent electrician who doesn't charge an absurd premium, and you can still easily get your charger installed completely free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Just ordered my Zappi Gen 2 from Nigel Daly - scheduled for early spring.

I have the electrical cable already wired to the location where the charger will be mounted.

So it's simply a case connect it all up at the chargers end really.

Went for the untethered option as I will upgrade my Leaf to another car(VW/Tesla) in 2020 and keep the Leaf as the run around car and get rid of the ICE :)

I think I will pick up a second type 2 to type 1 cable for the Leaf now and leave it in the charger, effectively making it untethered.

How much more is the Zappi 2 compared to the original?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 onlydave

How much more is the Zappi 2 compared to the original?

https://zappi.info/en/shop/products/product/31-zappi_v2_1f_socket

This is the only price I've been able to find. Nedved85 might have a different price from Nigel Daly. Tethered is another €50 on top

onlydave wrote: »
    https://zappi.info/en/shop/products/product/31-zappi_v2_1f_socket

This is the only price I've been able to find. Nedved85 might have a different price from Nigel Daly. Tethered is another €50 on top

I got a quote from Nigel a few weeks ago but didn't actually clarify if it was Zappi 1 or 2.so I've sent an email to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Supply cost €800 for the Zappi Gen 2 Untethered from Nigel Daly

I also got direct quotes to purchase the Zappi Gen 2 from Zappi themselves:

"The price of the new zappi and hub device are as follows:

Zappi 7kW untethered (white or black) = £695.00 incl. VAT, £579.17 excl. VAT
    Zappi 22kW (3-phase) untethered (white or black) = £795.00 incl. VAT, £662.50 excl. VAT
    Zappi 7kW tethered with type 2 6.5m cable (white or black) = £725.00 incl. VAT, £604.17 excl. VAT
    Zappi 22kW (3-phase) tethered with type 2 6.5m cable (white or black) = £845.00 incl. VAT, £704.17 excl. VAT
    Hub = £85.00 incl. VAT, £70.83 excl. VAT"

I'm happy to go with Nigel Daly directly though.

Anyone know what the hub actually does?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭denismc

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Supply cost €800 for the Zappi Gen 2 Untethered from Nigel Daly

I also got direct quotes to purchase the Zappi Gen 2 from Zappi themselves:

"The price of the new zappi and hub device are as follows:

Zappi 7kW untethered (white or black) = £695.00 incl. VAT, £579.17 excl. VAT
    Zappi 22kW (3-phase) untethered (white or black) = £795.00 incl. VAT, £662.50 excl. VAT
    Zappi 7kW tethered with type 2 6.5m cable (white or black) = £725.00 incl. VAT, £604.17 excl. VAT
    Zappi 22kW (3-phase) tethered with type 2 6.5m cable (white or black) = £845.00 incl. VAT, £704.17 excl. VAT
    Hub = £85.00 incl. VAT, £70.83 excl. VAT"

I'm happy to go with Nigel Daly directly though.

AFAIK the "HUB" allows myenergi devices to connect to the internet for software upgrades and for you use with the upcoming app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Reasonable price for the hub. I think I’ll be ordering one for myself. Hope it’s a diy install.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Nedved85 wrote: »

The Zappi (and other Myenergi devices like the eddi and harvi) use a proprietary wireless network to communicate to each other. The hub connects your internet router to that wireless network which will allow the app to be used to control your Zappi.

Around 100 euro for it is a bit steep tbh, along with the other price increase for v2 of the Zappi.

I'm I the only one to see the advantages of the Juicy box !?
    https://emotorwerks.com/eu/juicebox-pro-32

Doesn't have the priority thing and the so much needed PV either, but it looks like the best one out there, at least that's what my car says.
    Have I done the wrong purchase, anyone using it, any feedback ..what I should / suppose to see different from others ? Or, as someone said up above, is a fcuking box with some smart circuits that does electrical conversion... ? :)

I'm I the only one to see the advantages of the Juicy box !?
    https://emotorwerks.com/eu/juicebox-pro-32

Doesn't have the priority thing and the so much needed PV either, but it looks like the best one out there, at least that's what my car says.
    Have I done the wrong purchase, anyone using it, any feedback ..what I should / suppose to see different from others ? Or, as someone said up above, is a fcuking box with some smart circuits that does electrical conversion... ? :)

Looks like a great charger if you have 3 phase, as you could charge at 22kW. But you likely don’t have 3 phase, so you will max out at 7.4kW. May as well get a Zappi as it’s cheaper, will charge at 7.4kW, has current limiting, so no priority switch needed and has the option for PV if you want that in the future.

_dof_ wrote: »
    Around 100 euro for it is a bit steep tbh, along with the other price increase for v2 of the Zappi.
    Harvi is £49 is it not? €55.70 with VAT adjustment. The £36 flat rate delivery might be an issue buying alone but not if bought with a Zappi.

Not sure about Zappi and the sensor...and the hub !
    Mr. K explained few pages back how it works... I wonder if anyone here have a EV, Zappi and PV panels to come with tests and graphs...

Just wondering if the wireless protocol allows for instant disconnection in case of overloading the circuits (that's the priority switch, isnt ) and if it allows the PV diverting as well.
    My hot water immersion diverter is wireless and is scanning the network every 10 seconds.

If it takes more than the time allocated to it, will not do a proper job...

So, please check and make sure MAYBE to go with wired, as that one I guess is scanning every second !??

Not sure about Zappi and the sensor...and the hub !
    Mr. K explained few pages back how it works... I wonder if anyone here have a EV, Zappi and PV panels to come with tests and graphs...

Just wondering if the wireless protocol allows for instant disconnection in case of overloading the circuits (that's the priority switch, isnt ) and if it allows the PV diverting as well.
    My hot water immersion diverter is wireless and is scanning the network every 10 seconds.

If it takes more than the time allocated to it, will not do a proper job...

So, please check and make sure MAYBE to go with wired, as that one I guess is scanning every second !??

My understanding is the Harvi is just a wireless extension for the current sensor that sits between your meter and fuse board.

It’s doesnt disconnect like a priority switch, but turns down your charge rate based on the total demand in the house. My spark was satisfied after testing it with my electric shower. Looking at the current drawn by the whole house, it never exceeded the limit. I’d have no doubt that the Harvi is giving real-time feedback, although I don’t have one.

If you have concerns then you should ring their support line. We found them to be very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Harvi is £49 is it not? €55.70 with VAT adjustment. The £36 flat rate delivery might be an issue buying alone but not if bought with a Zappi.

I was talking about the price of the hub, not the harvi. The hub was quoted as ~85 sterling above.

_dof_ wrote: »
    I was talking about the price of the hub, not the harvi. The hub was quoted as ~85 sterling above.
    An missed that sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭randombar

Just wondering if you were future proofing, what size cable should you run for these charge points? Thinking five years time maybe a house with two.

I've just run a 5 core 10 square and I'm wondering if that's enough.

Advertisement