Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fodder Crisis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Not around here anyway. Anything that goes up is snapped up in a few minutes. Different areas affected differently.

The country isn't that big, no shortage overall

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Tonnes of it in Donegal, Roscommon, Sligo, Galway etc. Come down to Tipp and Cork and see how much you'll find

Plenty in the North East too

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Plenty in the North East too
    seems to be plenty in the south too , big yards of silage going for sale and prices starting to drop too , u can buy silage for 25 -30 a bale now , hay was 50 selling now for 35-40

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭mengele

Tonnes of it in Donegal, Roscommon, Sligo, Galway etc. Come down to Tipp and Cork and see how much you'll find

I'm from cork and there's plenty around me. I know a few lads that put ads up with silage for sale on done deal and they both said they got 0 phone calls about it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,202 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

mengele wrote: »
    I'm from cork and there's plenty around me. I know a few lads that put ads up with silage for sale on done deal and they both said they got 0 phone calls about it

Come April lads might be looking for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭mf240

Are the lads in the west that got silage last year sending it back this year. Or are we not mentioning that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

mf240 wrote: »
    Are the lads in the west that got silage last year sending it back this year. Or are we not mentioning that.

I dont know anyone that got silage from the east before around here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭mf240

I dont know anyone that got silage from the east before around here

The Ifa were collecting it up and sending it West last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Aravo

The fodder crisis last year was not there one morning but occured later on that afternoon. And there was only a crisis when it hit the ag ministers county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭green daries

Most of the severe shortage was in Donegal Sligo area as in north west Last year people who were short in the West, South west last year will be short most years but the local surplus sorts them out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Mad_maxx wrote:
    The country isn't that big, no shortage overall

No doubt but it would cost you to transport it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Plenty of silage bales on the move around kildare over the last few days, most of it was not going too far I would think, except for two artic loads each carrying 33 bales.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

It wasn't worth my whole last yr sending silage west from here, transport would of doubled the cost. And I absolutely cannot see it being worth while doing the reverse now, especially if all we'd be getting would be low DM September bales. Beet etc which is plentiful enough around the south east alot better value.

However fair point about the stuff that was donated last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭older by the day

Aravo wrote: »
    The fodder crisis last year was not there one morning but occured later on that afternoon. And there was only a crisis when it hit the ag ministers county.
    Well I suppose its an important county 😊, but memory's are short, there was loads of silage made in 2017, but cattle were housed in late Sept, and were still inside till early May 18 in some places

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Aravo

Well I suppose its an important county 😊, but memory's are short, there was loads of silage made in 2017, but cattle were housed in late Sept, and were still inside till early May 18 in some places

Judging by the look of Páirc Uí Chaoimh today in the important county, they could have done with a few shores. I thought the land down there was free draining.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Aravo wrote: »
    Judging by the look of Páirc Uí Chaoimh today in the important county, they could have done with a few shores. I thought the land down there was free draining.

Its free draining alright, but it gets watelogged with each high tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭older by the day

We keep the good fields for dairy cows, do you think we'd waste a fine dry field for playing football. Your probably from one of those places that the only green field in the parish is the gaa pitch. Joking of course, theirs good and bad everywhere and plenty in between

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

The few I was talking to that got silage last year would have sent it back on the lorry it came on if they knew what was under the wrap. Bales of **** that where in the way in someone's yard the last few years. Let's not pretend great stuff was donated. But, some were glad to get it at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The pitch in PUC was always sh1te. Cork hurlers prefer to play in Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

MeTheMan wrote: »
    The few I was talking to that got silage last year would have sent it back on the lorry it came on if they knew what was under the wrap. Bales of **** that where in the way in someone's yard the last few years. Let's not pretend great stuff was donated. But, some were glad to get it at the same time.

What I seen leaving around here was all as good in that it was what the farmers themselves were using also a fair share of hay which it's easy to see what's what. But eaten bread is soon forgotten and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

West Cork doesn't count that's too far from the rest of the world! Check done deal now hardly no silage in the south. Im paying €45/bale delivered. Just needed the peace of mind of not running out the start of April if worse comes to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

whelan2 wrote: »
    Come April lads might be looking for it

If I was tight and found 50/100 bales for 25 /30 id buy now ,lots of grass around granted but if there’s a shortage in March/April demand will be huge and price higher and feed may not be there ,if left over so be it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Silage Bales being delivered around here @ 30 for a Thousand euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Into the yard? Not bad at all if they were half decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Any amount of silage in Galway area. I put some up a week ago and I’d say ten plus adds went up that day too. No calls either

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Water John wrote: »
    The pitch in PUC was always sh1te. Cork hurlers prefer to play in Thurles.

Frank Murphy says it's good enough. :cool:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

4kgs of Palm Kernel will reduce a dry cows demand for silage by 40%. No brainier compared to buying lucky bags

• Registered Users Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

4kgs of Palm Kernel will reduce a dry cows demand for silage by 40%. No brainier compared to buying lucky bags

How much a ton?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭mengele

Out of curiosity how would you feed that? Also is it just a dust or ration or what type?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Out of curiosity how would you feed that? Also is it just a dust or ration or what type?

It’s meal as in not pellets. Feed out silage and spread on top. A feeder would be ideal. We hired a diet feeder for 6 weeks to feed it. Cows unbelievably content even though grub all eaten by 9pm

Advertisement