Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Erik : Friday 8th February 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Windy in Dublin but sunny. This is one reason why I love windy weather, it tends to bring nice weather here after the rain clears away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Peak gust in Arklow was 81.5kmh SW at 704am
    Weve had windier

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Picking up a lot here in ennis. Gusts now of 123kph and heavy rain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Just had some fairly wilds gusts here for about 15 mins but settled down a bit now again.
    S cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

mobil 222 wrote: »
    Anyone from Sligo think it has got alot worse in the last 15 Minutes.

It has. Gusting 57 knots at the airport now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭davemc6832

Fairly exposed here in Letterkenny. Plenty stormy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭weisses

Graces7 wrote: »
    Is it safe to light the fire in such a gale, please? I am hesitating

Its not your first rodeo Graces

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

A bit breezy in Limerick City. Nothing hectic.

River Shannon was very choppy this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Absolutely fine in Dublin. Cycled to work not a bother this morning. Nice sunny weather with a bit of a breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Anyone know if Achill island has lost power?

Trying to contact friends to see if they're okay, haven't heard anything since early morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Sudden intense burst of wind and heavy rain, close to Galway city

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Currently about Level -5 event across the south I'd say...

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Flower pot fell over in the back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Just a strong breeze here now with the odd gust.
    Peak gust this morning showing 79kph which is what the two nearest Met E station also recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time. :)

Big mental shower there recently in Galway City.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

There’s nothing showing on the Esb power check app for a outage on Achill , however that’s not to say there isint one ! I know another posted here Graces7 was saving she seemed to have low power all morning and she is located in a offshore island near Mayo .
    Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Anyone know if Achill island has lost power?

Trying to contact friends to see if they're okay, haven't heard anything since early morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

OMG. Please tell me it was an empty one!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Mr_A wrote: »
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time. :)

lol!
    bit of a breeze here in co.down - however i do notice an upturned plastic chair but the bird table hasn`t flinched...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Absolutely fine in Dublin. Cycled to work not a bother this morning. Nice sunny weather with a bit of a breeze.

Not sure which Dublin you're in, but not my part of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

Pressure in S Sligo at 150m asl is 963.... a tad low.
    6.7*c but bright day and wind has dropped for now TG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Hurrache wrote: »
    Not sure which Dublin you're in, but not my part of Dublin.

Agree, its very variable. Even driving around every so often i can feel a strong push from the side. Difficult for cyclists to judge especially when they have potholes, drains and other obstructions to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Walking around trinity college in Dublin ATM and it's fairly gusty! Seems to be getting stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

lost a few panels off the roof in the job here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

novarock wrote: »
    lost a few panels off the roof in the job here!
    Where is "here"? What sort of panels? Solar, general roofing, etc? What size were the panels? Did you lose them, in the sense that they've blown away and are nowhere to be found out are they lost because they were damaged due to striking an object? Were the panels ripped from their fixing or from someone's hands whilst someone was trying to install them?

A bit more info would be nice if posting here so that we can get an indication as to what the wind strength is in any given location.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I over heard two men in my local supermarket bemoaning that Met Eireann name every wind event these days. I wonder is that the common perception now amongst people? Will it mean that when we do get a notable storm again people will be complacent?

One thing i don't envy is Evelyn's job; you will be damned either way in these situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

After a tame morning the wind has really picked up on East (wicklow coast). Car is shaking and rain has hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I over heard two men in my local supermarket bemoaning that Met Eireann name every wind event these days. I wonder is that the common perception now amongst people? Will it mean that when we do get a notable storm again people will be complacent?

One thing i don't envy is Evelyn's job; you will be damned either way in these situations.

People like to give out but dont like to find out what things mean. So how many can tell the difference between a yellow and amber warning. How many did not hear 3 counties for the Amber warning. How many work in nice cozy offices, drive to work and only know it is windy by hearing some sounds from the chimney.

Unfortunatly the Irish condition is to complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Coast guard on radio one
    20 Russian fishing vessels 200 miles off the coast with circa 2000 people riding out the storm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

loughside wrote: »
    lol!
    bit of a breeze here in co.down - however i do notice an upturned plastic chair but the bird table hasn`t flinched...

You're not a million miles from me! Yeah, it's a bit blowy and the lough is a bit choppy but not too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Complacency will become a major problem in future.

Today is a mildly breezy day in Limerick. Nothing special.

People will begin to ignore the weather warnings... and then a catastrophic big event will hit.

Advertisement