Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I wore a baseball in the gym over Christmas. I had gotten 12 stitches in my head and was trying to avoid conversations about how it happened , hope I didn’t annoy anyone

I got 12 stitches in my head because I wore a baseball cap to the gym over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Which reminds me - and I blame Conor McGregor for this - there's a hanging punch bag in my gym which is largely left alone. Every few days though some young lad (usually) will attempt to do flying roundhouse kicks to it or attack it with a flurry of punches. It's almost always amusing when they realise that it's a lot heavier than they expected and retreat slowly. Sometime you even get accompanying sound effects.

This sounds like the opposite of annoying. Daily entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Blacktie. wrote: »
    This sounds like the opposite of annoying. Daily entertainment.

It was funny the first few times in fairness I gues but it’s long worn thin at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Ush1 wrote: »
    As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball.

Cap yourself on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

It was day out for the morons yesterday

Saw this guy loading up a bar with plates then he picked it up from the bench and walked away to another one near a mirror. I could see he was having trouble handling weight of the bar. The problem is that he moved over other benches that were being used, and the way he was walking, he could have lost balance and hit or let the bar fall over someone. More risky than annoying behaviour.

And as I was leaving the locker room saw this one walking away without washing his hands after taking a piss.... the dirty fúcker :eek:

Jumping Jack Gash was back in today! I'd forgotten about her TBH, but there she was doing her little effort as possible jumping jacks again in front of the dumb bell racks partially blocking off access to it whilst she had managed to put her phone, water bottle and towel on 3 separate benches blocking off access to those too....all the while ignoring the incredibly large window ledge behind her where most "normal" people leave their stuff.

I didn't get a big hi or a Happy New Year or anything. :rolleyes::D#gutted

Barna77 wrote: »
    It was day out for the morons yesterday

Saw this guy loading up a bar with plates then he picked it up from the bench and walked away to another one near a mirror. I could see he was having trouble handling weight of the bar. The problem is that he moved over other benches that were being used, and the way he was walking, he could have lost balance and hit or let the bar fall over someone. More risky than annoying behaviour.

And as I was leaving the locker room saw this one walking away without washing his hands after taking a piss.... the dirty fúcker :eek:

I actually think less people wash their hands than ever now, something I've noticed in the bathrooms in pubs, restaurants, anywhere public basically with bathrooms. Not only do I wash my hands, I won't touch the door or door handle of said public loo on my exit. I'm almost vomiting even thinking of this subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I actually think less people wash their hands than ever now, something I've noticed in the bathrooms in pubs, restaurants, anywhere public basically with bathrooms. Not only do I wash my hands, I won't touch the door or door handle of said public loo on my exit. I'm almost vomiting even thinking of this subject.

How do you open the door then? Most doors have a handle, are spring loaded and only pull inwards

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    How do you open the door then? Most doors have a handle, are spring loaded and only pull inwards

I take a paper wipe or some tissue paper and use that to keep my hand from touching the handle. That or if someone is coming in I'll leave as the door is still open.

It's not rocket science!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I take a paper wipe or some tissue paper and use that to keep my hand from touching the handle. That or if someone is coming in I'll leave as the door is still open.

It's not rocket science!

It’s not rocket science, yes. It’s something else

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

People on like 15 degree inclines on treadmills hanging on for dear life. They're only cheating themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Pussyhands wrote: »
    People on like 15 degree inclines on treadmills hanging on for dear life. They're only cheating themselves.

I'm quite happy to cheat myself... Its all good, Its all good.... :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Floppybits

You spying on me?

At least I wasn't reading a book while on the threadmill. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

I feel watched now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

givyjoe wrote: »
    On the rank behaviour of same gym clothes day in, day out.. there's a rancid couple in carlisle who both wear the same gym gear 5 days a week. He has the same GAA jersey and shorts on, but she's been a member for at least 3 years, and I've literally never seen her in anything but the same shorts and t shirt.:eek:

There's a particular smell from GAA jerseys that lingers in the material.
    It's absolutely rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I too have noticed this phenomenon. Seems like most young lads stand at the urinal with johnny-trouser-snake in one hand while reading their phone with the other, or maybe they're live-streaming - so to speak.

Anyway, invariably they'll just walk out without washing their hands - it's disgusting.

Also, I absolutely hate the 'I'm going to wear my O'Neills GAA shorts instead of a pair of swimming trunks into the pool/steam room' crowd. I don't want to be seeing the dark shadow of pubes and your translucent cock outline when I'm trying to relax.

Wearing a pair of swimming trunks will not turn you gay if that's what you're worried about and we can all see you're a mad-bastard GAA head so no need to worry on that score.

I'm sure this one has been brought up before but what is people's problem with not drying off in the wet area instead of the benches/lockers.

Sick to death of men traipsing back from the pool area with water p1ss1ng off them , dripping out of their shorts and leaving the changing room floor looking like a pregnant ladies water just broke.

Sure who doesn't appreciate hopping around pools of water while getting changed or working out while wearing wet socks. Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm sure this one has been brought up before but what is people's problem with not drying off in the wet area instead of the benches/lockers.

Sick to death of men traipsing back from the pool area with water p1ss1ng off them , dripping out of their shorts and leaving the changing room floor looking like a pregnant ladies water just broke.

Sure who doesn't appreciate hopping around pools of water while getting changed or working out while wearing wet socks. Awesome.

Showering in their shorts?

Showering in their shorts?

Swimming in to pool/ relaxing in Jacuzzi

But quite a few shower in their shorts too now that you mention it. That's a whole different thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Swimming in to pool/ relaxing in Jacuzzi

But quite a few shower in their shorts too now that you mention it. That's a whole different thread.

How do you know what they're wearing while they shower?? :eek: :pac:

leggo wrote:
    How do you know what they're wearing while they shower??

There are approx 20 shower cubicles in total. About 5 of them have no door for some reason.

max incline and a fast walk is actually a very difficult exercise. I know people who swear by to lose weight and get strong abs and these aren't fly by gymnasts

max incline and a fast walk is actually a very difficult exercise. I know people who swear by to lose weight and get strong abs and these aren't fly by gymnasts

It's the hanging on to the handrails bit that the poster is flagging.

It's obviously too difficult if you're hanging onto the handrails and they're not getting nearly the benefit from the exercise that they think they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it must be rare enough, ive never noticed anyone struggling on an aerobic machine , if anything its more irritating seeing loads of people just coasting on them.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    it must be rare enough, ive never noticed anyone struggling on an aerobic machine , if anything its more irritating seeing loads of people just coasting on them.

I've seen lots of people walking at pace holding the handrails. It doesn't bother me in the slightest but it kinda defeats the purpose of increasing the pace/incline/both

• Registered Users Posts: 39,047 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've seen alots of people walking at pace holding the handrails. It doesn't bother me in the slightest but it kinda defeats the purpose of increasing the pace/incline/both

I see it all the time too. Also doesn't annoying me. But don't see the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I've seen lots of people walking at pace holding the handrails. It doesn't bother me in the slightest but it kinda defeats the purpose of increasing the pace/incline/both

I remember one guy years ago and anytime I saw him he was doing the exact same thing, arms locked and walking, probably doing a reasonable amount of work but there was just something peculiarly repetitive about it, always wore a full tracksuit too summer or winter too , and he must have been doing it for at least an hour at a time.
    My impression is not a lot of people vary the work so they are missing out on lots of benefits for a bit of marginal effort

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

unless you are almost doing dips holding the bars is going to make a negligible difference and is usually done for balance when a person starts to tire.

They are still expending pretty much the same energy as they are still lifting their body weight by the same amount.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    unless you are almost doing dips holding the bars is going to make a negligible difference and is usually done for balance when a person starts to tire.

They are still expending pretty much the same energy as they are still lifting their body weight by the same amount.

Anytime I've seen it done, the person is holding the bars from the go. Which indicates it reduces the load as opposed to for balance. I'm not sure people really lose balance when they tire on incline treadmill...they do lose the ability to keep up the pace at the incline.

Just to clarify, in case we're talking about different things, I'm talking about people setting the incline high and then hanging on to the rails.

They'd usually be better off doing a lower incline and not hanging on than using the incline that means they're hanging on from the start.

It'd the equivalent of doing half squats and thinking you're doing full squats. Not sure why it would be annoying to anyone else though

Advertisement