Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can someone in their 30s afford a house - PLEASE READ MOD WARNING IN OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

If you can save 1200 a month at 29, you're an outlier. Do you realise most people don't even have 1200 left over after they've paid their rent? Let alone anything else. I've never lived a life like you describe. I've always scrimped and saved. I'm no closer to buying a place.

It's pretty easy.
    2600 a month take home pay.
    One bed apartment 500, electric 80. Phone 20. Insurance 65. Car tax - 16.66. Diesel 50.
    So 2600-500-80-20-65-50

That's 1885 left over a month. I have 685 to do me for the month or 158 a week.

Not too bad really when trying to save and can make it last and also able to keep a bit aside for unseen circumstances.

PS buy work clothes online like mandm direct, nearly 70% cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

upinsmoke wrote: »
    It's pretty easy.
    2600 a month take home pay.
    One bed apartment 500, electric 80. Phone 20. Insurance 65. Car tax - 16.66. Diesel 50.
    So 2600-500-80-20-65-50

That's 1885 left over a month. I have 685 to do me for the month or 158 a week.

Not too bad really when trying to save and can make it last and also able to keep a bit aside for unseen circumstances.

PS buy work clothes online like mandm direct, nearly 70% cheaper

That's a very high salary for outside Dublin. I'm sure it is easy if your take home is that high, yes. As I said, I barely take home 1885 in total, BEFORE rent and essential expenses. And I'm in Dublin.

I know this might sound like a silly question, and I'm not trying to derail the thread, but this is always something I wonder:

You know when you're in the city centre of Dublin, and you pop into Centra or Spar or whatever. And you get served by a minimum wage worker behind the till.. where do they live?

On minimum wage (or very close to it) they're unlikely to be renting in Dublin. Also, at that wage, they're unlikely to commute from Drogheda or Navan or the likes.

I find it a little bit confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

I know this might sound like a silly question, and I'm not trying to derail the thread, but this is always something I wonder:

You know when you're in the city centre of Dublin, and you pop into Centra or Spar or whatever. And you get served by a minimum wage worker behind the till.. where do they live?

On minimum wage (or very close to it) they're unlikely to be renting in Dublin. Also, at that wage, they're unlikely to commute from Drogheda or Navan or the likes.

Can easily afford today rent a room on minimum wage and use public transport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

If they're foreign nationals they're probably crammed into a small house or flat somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

That's a silly argument. Nobody had mobile phones or internet then so they didn't miss them, but they did have things which were expensive at the time, things which are now very cheap. I've never had an ensuite bathroom, so not sure how you think people 'expect' those. I live in a shared house, and share a bathroom with four strangers. I can't afford an ensuite room.

Sure, there are jobs, but the point is they don't pay enough. My dad had a very average job at my age which enabled him to buy a 3-bed semi-detached house in Dublin and support a family of five. I have the same kind of average job and I can't even afford to rent on my own. And yet instead of acknowledging this basic fact, people are rabbiting on about not going to Starbucks.

Sorry, what on earth do you think my “argument” is? Are you reading something I am not writing? Yes, obviously nobody had mobile phones, that is my point, you asked what stuff you have now, that people in the 70’s didn’t.

So, Your dad had a job, 3 decades ago, and bought a house. Did he have a mobile phone and was paying an internet access bill at the time?

And cry me a river about not being able to rent on your own. I never ever lived alone. Did your dad, or did he go from home, to digs maybe, to family life. That is exactly what I mean by crazy expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

pwurple wrote: »
    Sorry, what on earth do you think my “argument” is? Are you reading something I am not writing? Yes, obviously nobody had mobile phones, that is my point, you asked what stuff you have now, that people in the 70’s didn’t.

So, Your dad had a job, 3 decades ago, and bought a house. Did he have a mobile phone and was paying an internet access bill at the time?

And cry me a river about not being able to rent on your own. I never ever lived alone. Did your dad, or did he go from home, to digs maybe, to family life. That is exactly what I mean by crazy expectations.

Are you honestly still trying to imply that a mobile phone and internet access somehow makes up for not being able to afford a home to live in? Yes, we actually did have the internet in the nineties, AND a nice semi-detached house! Imagine!

You seem to be stuck in some warped mentality that phones and internet are expensive luxuries. They are not. My point, which you missed spectacularly, was that people 20-30 years ago might not have had the SAME things we have now, but they had things which were considered new and extravagant *at the time*. And those things didn't prevent them from buying houses. You can get a phone with a data plan for about 15 euro a month. Let me just live without my phone, which we now basically need for daily life, and stick that 15 euro a month into a savings account and see how quickly I can buy a house with it. :rolleyes:

Yes, my dad lived alone in a studio apartment in his twenties, just like plenty of people did. Then he bought a house at 26. 'Crazy expectations' to have your own modest living space as a professional adult working full time? Really? So anyone who doesn't have a romantic partner just has to flatshare in their thirties, forties and beyond, and you think that's grand?

Right.

Your assumption is wrong, here. While it is true to say people had less stuff, this is absolutely not the reason for non-affordability of housing. The issue of affordability is due to the price of housing, and the fact that greedy banks, developers, and real estate companies want to maximize their margin.
    it’s part of it, along with inflation, shortage etc.
    “Greedy” anything is such a lazy generalization, it just comes off as uneducated.
    And please explain what you mean by work, work, work? It doesn't make sense. As I have said repeatedly, the key is earnings potential. if I'm a junior doctor, can I earn more money by delivering pizzas at the weekend? yes, in the short-term. But in the long-term I won;t make consultant.
    Thanks for asking, it means as a junior doctor, you work work work to become a consultant. As a barista, you work work work to become a manager, or get your own shop. As an electrician apprentice , you work work work to become a main electrical contractor. As anything, you work to improve your earnings. Sure, as a student or someone starting out, take extra jobs if it suits you.
    Your advice is misleading, and you seem out of touch with the reality of the property market
    That’s interesting, how many properties have you got there btw, maybe you can pass on your insights there on how you acquired them. What exactly do you think is misleading about telling people they need to earn money before they put big efforts into saving it?

Are you honestly still trying to imply that a mobile phone and internet access somehow makes up for not being able to afford a home to live in? Yes, we actually did have the internet in the nineties, AND a nice semi-detached house! Imagine!

You seem to be stuck in some warped mentality that phones and internet are expensive luxuries. They are not. My point, which you missed spectacularly, was that people 20-30 years ago might not have had the SAME things we have now, but they had things which were considered new and extravagant *at the time*. And those things didn't prevent them from buying houses. You can get a phone with a data plan for about 15 euro a month. Let me just live without my phone, which we now basically need for daily life, and stick that 15 euro a month into a savings account and see how quickly I can buy a house with it. :rolleyes:

Yes, my dad lived alone in a studio apartment in his twenties, just like plenty of people did. Then he bought a house at 26. 'Crazy expectations' to have your own modest living space as a professional adult working full time? Really? So anyone who doesn't have a romantic partner just has to flatshare in their thirties, forties and beyond, and you think that's grand?

Right.

I don’t think there is anything I can write here that you can actually take in. My point wasn’t complicated, or in any way controversial, but you are taking it on like some bizarre attack.

I will rephrase it yet again, maybe this time?
    See below:

Things are more expensive nowadays. So, to live in the big city, you need to earn more.

Ps, what’s your profession?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,681 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

That's a very high salary for outside Dublin. I'm sure it is easy if your take home is that high, yes. As I said, I barely take home 1885 in total, BEFORE rent and essential expenses. And I'm in Dublin.

Maybe you have answered this already but why are you staying in Dublin ? You can’t really afford to live there? Generally people live in a city because the access to better phone jobs offsets the higher cost of living but if you are taking home less than 2k a month that’s not the case. What do you do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Some random thoughts -

The hopelessness of your home-ownership situation should not deter you from saving. You will always need savings, and you might just get a lucky property break. Especially when the next crash comes and you have cash. But saving is a good habit and a must.

I gave up fags and booze in mid-thirties. I find pubs over-rated now and avoid them. If they're a big part of your lifestyle, try it for a year and stash that cash. If you can't hack twelve months of your thirties without pubs and clubs, you're a superficial loser in life, I'm afraid.

The three lads I know had their mortgage paid off within ten years, and are still in their mid-to-late thirties, are tradesmen. Working all the hours, working on the side, working away from home.

Go where the work is. Home ownership is great, but I'm glad I left it until my early forties. Being footloose meant being able to go where the work was, including abroad (The eighties were sh*t). Emigrating for a few years might be worth doing financially, and might cure you of the Irish property ownership bug altogether.

I personally wouldn't like to take on a mortgage with a large LTV, in a private sector job, in a volatile economy like ours.

If you are considering the rurals in a desperate move to be a home-owner (we bought on an acre in the country and we were ready for the country after many years of city living) there is huge bang for your buck, but -

1. there are houses that we viewed 7+ years ago in rural parts, that are still on Daft today. Nightmare stuff.

2. where I had a twenty minute walk to work, I now have a thirty mile each-way drive. Don't underestimate big shillings for diesel, servicing, repairs esp. shocks. Worth it to me for unreal quality of life, but it's no joke. You can not survive in the rurals without a car.

Remember that the word 'mortgage' means 'grip of death', and realise this - if you buy a house and it loses half it's value, the market has to rise by 100% for you to get back to square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

If you can save 1200 a month at 29, you're an outlier. Do you realise most people don't even have 1200 left over after they've paid their rent? Let alone anything else. I've never lived a life like you describe. I've always scrimped and saved. I'm no closer to buying a place.

WTF are people spending their money on exactly?

If you're renting on your own in Dublin, that's a major luxury.

Compare the average house price in Dublin in 1990 with the average wage at the same year.

Now

Compare the average house price in Dublin in 2019 with the average wage for the same year.

Even with the much bigger interest rates the difference is beyond a joke.

Also.
    Having a tv or a smartphone doesn’t make it acceptable the cost of housing has rose 900%.

Sure everyone must have been living like kings so the way you make it sound?

30 year mortgage and only 1.5 the salary. Only 1 earner in the house. What a great life they had.

I wasn't born in the 80's but everything I've read says to me it was a depressing time in Irelands history and the early 90's couldn't have been that much better.

If you're dad was making 40k pounds back in 1990, then that is a massive amount of money. Certainly not the norm. I know plenty of people who lived with their parents all their lives, raising families with them..

Right.

Yeah and then Dublin attracted higher quality jobs to raise the standard of living. Standard of living is much higher than in early 90's. Even the worst off in society are heading off on holidays abroad for a week at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Pussyhands wrote:
    Yeah and then Dublin attracted higher quality jobs to raise the standard of living. Standard of living is much higher than in early 90's. Even the worst off in society are heading off on holidays abroad for a week at least.

I know some people who haven't been on holidays since before the crash, so maybe we mix with completely different worse off people

• Registered Users Posts: 27,042 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Going out and having a social life is as legitimate an expense of living as any, this nonsense of expecting people to have no life is just that, nonsense.

Do you think people didn’t go out and enjoy themselves in the 80’s too?

I clearly stated that you dont have to live the life of a hermit, but if you are trying to save then you cut back on the non essentials.
    You don't keep spending money on frivolous items and then complain that you don't have enough money for capital expenses.

Its nonsense to suggest that for the same income you can live the same social life as someone who is not saving for something.

People did go out and enjoy themselves in the 80's if they could afford it.

It isn't though, is it? That's the point.

There are many, many factors beyond 'saving' which give people a head start over others in that marathon.

Stayed at home for college? Head start.

Parents paid for college? Head start.

No major health issues? Head start.

Got a stable long term partner? Head start.

And so on and on and on. Funny how so many people have such a hard time accepting that luck played a huge role in their ability to buy a house. Sure, they might have worked hard, but lots of people work hard and don't manage it, through no fault of their own.

OP sounds like an immature waster, but not everyone is like that.

All those head starts become irrelevant pretty quickly if, like the OP, you spent your way through your twenties.

Those things are certainly a large benefit, but they are not a requirement.

Some think that they are entitled to live in Dublin because, well, they want to. Life isnt like that.
    "Everyone" wants to live in Dublin, so the house prices are irrelevant, there are not enough houses for everyone who wants one, so of course the price is going to go up.
    To just expect your wages to magically go up to match them is insane.

If people want to complain and whinge about things then let them off.

People can take the advice or not. If you're new iPhone 10, multiple concert festivals, 4 or 5 trips abroad every year, eating out every week and scalp of 6 euro pints every weekend is your thing, then fire away, don't come whinging on here claiming you can't save.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    If people want to complain and whinge about things then let them off.

People can take the advice or not. If you're new iPhone 10, multiple concert festivals, 4 or 5 trips abroad every year, eating out every week and scalp of 6 euro pints every weekend is your thing, then fire away, don't come whinging on here claiming you can't save.

Harsh, but fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Pussyhands wrote:

There's clearly something highly dysfunctional about the cost of housing and overall accommodation, and we re not the only country experiencing this, compared to previous generations

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    There's clearly something highly dysfunctional about the cost of housing and overall accommodation, and we re not the only country experiencing this, compared to previous generations

It's only dysfunctional if everyone thinks they are entitled to live in the same place, i.e. Dublin.

Would you consider a shop to be dysfunctional if it was always so full that no one could move or buy anything, even though there were other empty shops nearby?

BTW
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/dublin/property-for-sale?maxprice=200000

233 properties for sale in Dublin for max 200K, a mixture of houses and apartments.

"ohh but I want to live near my mommy in Dundrum...I'm not living in Tallaght!"

In fairness to Lainey, the salary is about 26k

x 3.5 = 91k max mortgage. Plus deposit to make up the rest.
    200k would seem difficult on that, alone. However, people do buy houses together when not married also...

Aim 1 has to be increase that salary, because it's very low for Dublin.

She (not sure why I'm assuming female, but there you go), will need to look at financially sound ways to do that. So rather than doing a masters or a teaching diploma, check the outcome first and the return on investment. I'd go to an independent career guidance professional. Show them what you have in terms of qualifications, take skills and aptitude tests, and look for progression advice.

I generally believe that there's no such thing as a wasted education, but sometimes the courses are more advantageous for personal development and academic interest rather than for a financial aim. Universities are businesses too, they are in the business of selling those courses to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

26k is a first year graduate salary in most professional industries in Dublin (or perhaps a year 2 or 3 position in the civil service where one has to accept low wages as the opportunity cost of belonging to a public sector union imo - why urban members haven't insisted on the union fighting for an Irish equivalent of the "London Allowance" their UK counterparts have baffles me). 26k is a fine salary for someone in their early twenties. Most grads with a useful degree (business, IT, law or engineering) would be earning more than that 3 years after leaving college or by their mid-twenties.

For someone in their 30s it's a sign they've either wasted a lot of time studying for qualifications that aren't any use in the employment market (I'm thinking masters courses in humanities that have no application outside of academia), chopping and changed their area of study or career path or spent a large amount of time outside of the workforce / travelling etc.

If you want to buy in Dublin you need to be earning 40k or more. That's a fairly modest salary in Dublin and the likelihood will be that you'll be looking in working class areas at that level as you'll be priced out of anything else.

Those using national salary averages are being rather disingenuous here imo: most of us working in Dublin would take a large salary hit if we moved outside of the major cities. TBH, most of us would even take a hit moving to Cork or Galway.

So, what should those that are uninterested in doing degrees related to pursuing careers in STEM, business or Law do? My advice would be to aim for a public sector position outside of the cities. A teacher on year one of their salary scale (€36,318) would pass the LTI rules to buy a 3 bed property in large parts of Mayo, Cavan, Tipperary, Longford, Sligo, Wexford, Laois, Donegal, Clare etc. Even a Clerical officer in a Local Authority (starting on €23,587) would be able to afford a 3 bed in many parts of the country.

Many are part time so working through college I imagine.

You can say the same about most retail staff I reckon, like even BT etc who'd pay more than minimum wage, the staff aren't on huge money.
    Loads are Luas/Dart/Bus ing it in from the suburbs I'd imagine. Single ones are rearing families........... many are coupled up.......... many living with the parents etc etc. House sharing. All the normal stuff. I know some folk on modest salaries that bought in the 2009/2011 period as they'd a decent wedge saved up and bough in areas they were from (traditional working class areas) for under €150k type money.

€26k gross yields €1880/month net with no employee pension contribution.
    to be fair that's a woeful salary for someone who is educated to degree level and who has a few years experience. now if you are happy in your job etc fair enough but if you did a degree where most graduates don't end up lining their pockets and if you want to earn more than a career change/upskilling should be considered maybe.

"Since 1 January 2019, under the National Minimum Wage Order 2018, the national minimum wage for an experienced adult employee is €9.80 per hour"

For a 39 hour week the minimum wage is almost €20k/annum.

All considered would you not put yourself on the housing list? Like, even if it took 10 years to get somewhere wouldn't you be happy out in 10 years time with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

GreeBo wrote: »
    It's only dysfunctional if everyone thinks they are entitled to live in the same place, i.e. Dublin.

Would you consider a shop to be dysfunctional if it was always so full that no one could move or buy anything, even though there were other empty shops nearby?

BTW
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/dublin/property-for-sale?maxprice=200000

233 properties for sale in Dublin for max 200K, a mixture of houses and apartments.

"ohh but I want to live near my mommy in Dundrum...I'm not living in Tallaght!"

Ahh come on though, if youre from darndale, ballyfermot, finglas etc.. you can buy a house near your ma no bother, theres a lot of estates in that under 200k list that if youre not fron there you’ll be singled out and targeted. The vast majority of those properties have a reason theyre affordable.

Ahh come on though, if youre from darndale, ballyfermot, finglas etc.. you can buy a house near your ma no bother, theres a lot of estates in that under 200k list that if youre not fron there you’ll be singled out and targeted. The vast majority of those properties have a reason theyre affordable.

Then move to Meath or Drogheda or one of the thousands of other places you could afford to live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Nice exaggeration.(like your signature)

There are some quite nice areas/estates in the suburbs that you mention that have no anti-social problems. Only snobbery prevents so called "middle income" earners to live there and then they end up moaning about the commute in some commuter town 100 miles down the road.

klaaaz wrote: »
    Nice exaggeration.(like your signature)

There are some quite nice areas/estates in the suburbs that you mention that have no anti-social problems. Only snobbery prevents so called "middle income" earners to live there and then they end up moaning about the commute in some commuter town 100 miles down the road.

There are, but those nice parts dont have <200k houses usually.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Then move to Meath or Drogheda or one of the thousands of other places you could afford to live in?

And thats wgat most are doing, still quite hard on a single income though. Then theres 2 hours of commuting each way every day

• Advertisement

And thats wgat most are doing, still quite hard on a single income though. Then theres 2 hours of commuting each way every day

So your point is that its hard to buy a nice house in nice areas with a low, single income?

Well spank my ass and call me Judy!:eek:
    Have you told anyone of your ground-breaking discovery?

Is there a time when this wasn't the case?

Advertisement