Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭black forest

Interesting to see which next FTA the EU is going to sign: Singapore. After Japan the next asian stronghold.

https://twitter.com/europarl_en/status/1095671371731034119?s=21

More here:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20190207IPR25207/ep-gives-green-light-to-eu-singapore-trade-and-investment-protection-deals

Already done deals and more to come...

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/world/20161014STO47381/trade-agreements-what-the-eu-is-working-on

I would have never believed that a developed country can go into self destruct mode so easily.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

downcow wrote: »
    Try answering the question i asked as opposed to the question you want to answer ie
    Then if the negotiators had came back with a plan that left EU beholding to the UK indefinitely and the EU27 was disgusted with it and rejected it. Would you accept me saying,tough, this is the WA and the UK will not reopen it (as if it was now closed) and we won't talk about it??
    What if Barnier headbutted DD, would the negotiations have stopped?
    As flippant as my questions is, it's as relevant as yours is!

The EU team didn't agree to an agreement to take back to the EU27 and then change their minds on it. The UK team did!

Edit: the UK have not made any alternative suggestions that are workable for everyone involved. Why on earth would the EU reopen the negotiations when there is nothing being put forwards by the UK to negotiate? The EU position has not changed and this has been made clear to the UK. The UK are in a position to make a counter offer (which could potentially help reopen negotiations) but cannot agree amongst themselves on what they'd like aparet from wishy washy unworkable nonsense and commentary on how they're being bullied because the unelected EU (which some of thise complaining were elected into!) is rejecting said wishy washy unworkable nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Interesting to see which next FTA the EU is going to sign: Singapore. After Japan the next asian stronghold.

https://twitter.com/europarl_en/status/1095671371731034119?s=21

More here:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20190207IPR25207/ep-gives-green-light-to-eu-singapore-trade-and-investment-protection-deals

Already done deals and more to come...

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/world/20161014STO47381/trade-agreements-what-the-eu-is-working-on

I would have never believed that a developed country can go into self destruct mode so easily.

only took 9 short sweet years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

lawred2 wrote: »
    only took 9 short sweet years

That's practically a lunch date.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,570 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

lawred2 wrote:
    why do these old people get a free pass on being selfish, ill-informed and thoughtless?
    Did you ever make a mistake? Did people forgive you and forget about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭KildareP

downcow wrote: »
    Try answering the question i asked as opposed to the question you want to answer ie
    Then if the negotiators had came back with a plan that left EU beholding to the UK indefinitely and the EU27 was disgusted with it and rejected it. Would you accept me saying,tough, this is the WA and the UK will not reopen it (as if it was now closed) and we won't talk about it??

If the EU27 sent a negotiating team who willingly arrived at an agreement so far off the mark it was not recognisable to the desires of the parliament, then yes, the EU27 would have only themselves to blame for not prepping and managing their negotiation team and their options would be:
    (1) accept the deal as is (this option remains open to the UK)
    (2) offer something in return for renegotiating the deal (the EU have hinted at this option remaining open to the UK (by "moving the red lines"))
    (3) walk away with no deal (this option remains open to the UK).

The choice would be the EU's and, whether the EU like it or not, blame for the ultimate deal would lie entirely in their court.

But let's follow your analogy for a minute and consider your scenario doesn't allow for a further situation whereby the EU negotiation team were asking things genuinely sought by the EU27 but for the UK were simply just not acceptable to them no matter what - what then?
    Is it all the UK's fault, are they just being mean by not giving the EU exactly what they want?
    When the EU keep pleading with the UK to give them exactly what they want, over and over, and the UK keep politely stating "sorry, but we're not willing to offer you that", does that make the UK intransigent?
    If the EU call UK MPs pretty nasty names repeatedly and the UK start to return the favour, does that make the UK the big bullies in the negotiation process?
    When the EU aren't willing to accept their fate and end up defaulting to no deal and face into years of uncertainty, is it fair to blame the UK entirely for the EU's outcome?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

eagle eye wrote: »

Sure, but that only works if you acknowledge that you made a mistake.

They still think that Brexit is the right thing to do despite it now becoming clear to them that they are losing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

People died to give others the right to vote. Women were denied the vote for years.

That is simply not a mistake, that is willful ignorance.

But even if one was to accept that it was a genuine mistake, led in large part by a campaign of lies and misinformation by the media and senior political figures, then why have the polls not moved?

Where is the outcry for a second vote. One can only assume that people still have yet to take the time to actually educate themselves on the realities of what they voted for and accepted that they were duped.

One can only forgive a mistake when the person accepts that a mistake was actually made.

Everyone has made mistakes.
    However, I have never nade a mistake such as I want my home country (where all my important financial ties are bound to) to exit the EU and it's convenient internal borderless access but at the same time take it for granted that it won't affect me staying in the EU.
    What exactly did they think they were voting for then?

As for forgiveness, who do you think should be forgiving them and in what way? How should we forget about their mistake?

Should the same forgiveness and forgetfulness be applied to peoplke who made the mistake of being born in the wrong country e.g. Syria and decided to move to the UK?

Everyone has made mistakes.
    However, I have never nade a mistake such as I want my home country (where all my important financial ties are bound to) to exit the EU and it's convenient internal borderless access but at the same time take it for granted that it won't affect me staying in the EU.
    What exactly did they think they were voting for then?

As for forgiveness, who do you think should be forgiving them and in what way? How should we forget about their mistake?

Should the same forgiveness and forgetfulness be applied to peoplke who made the mistake of being born in the wrong country e.g. Syria and decided to move to the UK?

And remember, Brexiteers are always telling us the the people did fully understand what they were voting for and any suggestion that they didn't is the type of arrogance that lead to the vote in the first place.

So which is it? Do we continue on to accept the will of the people as unmoving and made with the full details, or accept that many people made a mistake?

Downcow is currently pushing the idea that the TM and her negotiators, along with the cabinet and the entire government, has also simply made a mistake in terms of what they negotiated and as such we should simply start all over again for their benefit.

Yet they are fully behind HMG being in charge of all future trade deals!

• Advertisement

Everyone has made mistakes. However, I have never nade a mistake such as I want my home country (where all my important financial ties are bound to) to exit the EU and it's convenient internal borderless access but at the same time take it for granted that it won't affect me staying in the EU. What exactly did they think they were voting for then?
    A lot of people thought they were voting to stop immigration.
    With all the terrorist activity in the UK over the past 15 or so years it's understandable that people would vote to stop free movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,662 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

With all the terrorist activity in the UK over the past 15 or so years it's understandable that people would vote to stop free movement.

Well then they are idiots because the facts and information was out for everyone to see that it was far bigger and more complex than just stopping immigration

Aah ok - so people who emigrated to Spain were concerned about immigration?

As for the terrorists, how many terrorist atacks were there in the UK by foreign-nationals in the three years before the referendum?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Are most terrorist incidents not done by citizens of the country concerned?

That may very well be true, but is besides the point.

Nobody is arguing that people were not entitled to vote on whatever reason they wanted, the point is that they also needed to understand the consequence of that decision.

Many seemed to believe that they could change everything for others but keep everything the same for themselves. But even a cursory glance at any of the topics would have shown that that was not the case, that shutting down EU immigration would not solve the problems and would have an impact on their FOM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

robinph wrote: »
    In fairness to the guy asking the question I think he was asking it only because he knew it was so stupid a bunch of ideas and to get it on the record.

Exactly, the person who asked it is from the SNP of all parties! I'd imagine he asked it specifically to draw a parallel between Ireland and Scotland with a view to pointing out the stupidity of asking such a question, and in particular for the Scottish audience (with a view towards their own independence).

As for the terrorists, how many terrorist atacks were there in the UK by foreign-nationals in the three years before the referendum?
    Why would you pick a random period like three years? Do you think people forget things once they are over three years old?
    Anyways I'm just saying that it's understandable that people would vote that way in order to try and protect the citizens of the UK against further terrorist attacks. I'm not happy about Brexit because it's very bad for us.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47214093

"When I voted to leave I didn't think it would change anything," says Yvonne Stone

This ^ just makes me so mad, arghghghghghhghg

That's only half the quote to be fair. She actually said "When I voted to leave I didn't think it would change anything for my rights to live here.". It's still stupid that you wouldn't consider that not being an EU citizen might change things for you when you live in an EU country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

eagle eye wrote:
    A lot of people thought they were voting to stop immigration. With all the terrorist activity in the UK over the past 15 or so years it's understandable that people would vote to stop free movement.

Has the UK been subjected to terrorist attacks from EU citizens?

Why would you pick a random period like three years? Do you think people forget things once they are over three years old?
    Anyways I'm just saying that it's understandable that people would vote that way in order to try and protect the citizens of the UK against further terrorist attacks. I'm not happy about Brexit because it's very bad for us.
    I understand your apparent pro-Brexit unhappiness but nonetheless, go on, have a go at answering my question.
    Aah ok - so people who emigrated to Spain were concerned about immigration?

I'd also be curious to understand why I should forgive and forget about an emigrant complaining about immigration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

First Up wrote: »

Well, erm... yes.

It is sort of irrelevant. The fear of terrorist attacks is certainly very real and in that respect people will vote accordingly.

However, Brexit will actually do very little to curb that problem. Brexit will likely see an increase in immigration from non EU countries. They are also not proposing that people cannot continue to visit the Uk, just that they cannot stay and work. So any terrorists that do live outside the UK can simply arrive, do their stuff and get out.

And in return for not making any real difference, they have voted to dramatically reduce their own rights in terms of FOM.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Well, erm... yes.
    UK citizens aside?

Since 2010:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_Great_Britain#2010s

Ukraine: 1
    British : 6
    Pakistan: 1
    Morocco: 2
    Irish: ?

Therefore the UK clearly needs to stop people from the UK entering the country in order to prevent further terrorist attacks.

El Weirdo wrote:
    Well, erm... yes.

Point taken!

Leroy42 wrote:
    It is sort of irrelevant. The fear of terrorist attacks is certainly very real and in that respect people will vote accordingly.

We are all entitled to fear terrorist attacks but a geography lesson would help people focus on where the threats come from.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Leroy42 wrote: »

However, Brexit will actually do very little to curb that problem. Brexit will likely see an increase in immigration from non EU countries. They are also not proposing that people cannot continue to visit the Uk, just that they cannot stay and work. So any terrorists that do live outside the UK can simply arrive, do their stuff and get out.

And in return for not making any real difference, they have voted to dramatically reduce their own rights in terms of FOM.

In addition, heads of various security agencies have said that Brexit will weaken anti-terrorist collaboration between the UK and the EU.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Or simplify all of that and say "one backstop unless and until a mutually acceptable alternative arrangement is agreed between the two parties." :cool:

In effect, my deal is still a backstop up until and when the UK can provide satisfactory alternative arrangements, but it's also calling the UK's bluff on a time limit. If it does nothing else, it would at least force UK negotiators to explain to the EU, definitively, why it is they want a time limit and to discuss what would happen at the end of that.

And also, crucially, the idea that independent judges could be brought in to assess the backstop would allay UK fears that the EU was proposing a backstop as a way to de facto annex NI, or use it as leverage in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

lawred2 wrote:
    why do these old people get a free pass on being selfish, ill-informed and thoughtless?

In fairness they regret their decision and wouldn't vote for it again. And despite me thinking Brexit was a stupid choice and one that really is going to be reflected upon as a poor decision you can have a degree of sympathy for people who bought the pro-brexit narrative hook line and sinker and realised they were misled.

However, there's no point beating people who voted in good faith for a poor decision, and it is counter productive to do so. It's not giving them a pass, it's simply empathising with individuals who made a bad decision, regret it, and have no recourse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I see Bertie graciously offered his time to the Exiting the European Union Committee in Westminster today.

One particular highlight seems to have been his citing 'an 800-year past of difficulties', as reported by the Irish Times. There is a snippet of video in the article on this. It was in relation to comments on the suggestion that 'Ireland throws in its lot with the UK'.

I'll try and watch this in full later on parliament tv.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement