Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2019 - your car plans, expectations, etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Was going to buy an e90 325i or 330i in the UK but I won't be back in time from Australia when Brexit kicks in so its unlikely to happen now.

Otherwise I'll a get some work done on the Mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

vectra wrote: »
    Classic tax?? ^^

My poor wordings strike again :o

Both the Z and E34 are 1989 thus eligible for vintage tax. Will make a nice change from €422 for the Z for a lousy 3 months... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭vectra

My poor wordings strike again :o

Both the Z and E34 are 1989 thus eligible for vintage tax. Will make a nice change from €422 for the Z for a lousy 3 months... :eek:

Ah,
    At least it will make it enjoyable to drive then :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

My plans are simple. Drive them, service them as per schedule and detail them as needs be.

Ya nothing fancy here.......

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Lovely car,drove one when first out( friends) stuck to the road

2.8 straight 6!

Just uncovered perished rubber around the tank, so added to the list for the year. Will also upgrade the exhaust to a more free flowing one, as completed an M50 manifold swap a few months ago. Complete a remap and that should be me done for 2019 for one car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

Currently driving a 171 Lexus IS300h. As reliable and comfy as the car is, the CVT transmission is quite annoying at times - not so much the noise but rather the lag. Also I've never really warmed to the newer facelift version of the car, from some angles the front is quite ugly imo.

Strongly considering an Alfa Romeo Giulia. I drove one at a recent Alfa testdrive event in December and it feels such a different car for all the right reasons.

I know, I know.... changing from a Lexus to an Alfa......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Boring story here, have 445k kms on my 09 Megane diesel, all going well that will be over 500k by the end of the year. Just got a 2 year NCT. Very reliable and long lasting car.

The next car that I buy will depend on how long the Megane lasts and also my work situation - if I get a job closer to home or retire altogether (in my 40s :D) I will have a huge choice of cars to pick from. If I continue to do high mileage my next car will likely be a new EV. I'm not spending a lot of money on a new combustion engined car for a daily driver now but EVs aren't quite there/cheap enough yet. So if the Megane blows up tomorrow i will probably buy a new Dacia Sandero or Logan diesel which would then keep me going for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭corks finest

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Boring story here, have 445k kms on my 09 Megane diesel, all going well that will be over 500k by the end of the year. Just got a 2 year NCT. Very reliable and long lasting car.

The next car that I buy will depend on how long the Megane lasts and also my work situation - if I get a job closer to home or retire altogether (in my 40s :D) I will have a huge choice of cars to pick from. If I continue to do high mileage my next car will likely be a new EV. I'm not spending a lot of money on a new combustion engined car for a daily driver now but EVs aren't quite there/cheap enough yet. So if the Megane blows up tomorrow i will probably buy a new Dacia Sandero or Logan diesel which would then keep me going for a few years.
    You certainly got your money's worth 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hopefully will draw down a mortgage in the coming weeks after that I may trade in the Fiesta ST and move up to a Focus or sell private go to the UK for something abut more practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

In 2019 may my pcp will be at 2 years mark. So during summer and Autumn I will start proper research on what to do next. Do I keep it and pay off baloon payment or use money I saved to roll in to something else.
    Right now I am all over the place. Maybe leon cupra 300 (2017ish ), gs300h (2015ish ) or
    New Citroen c5 aircross, golf gti ( 2016ish ), New model Leon FR. The biggest odd ball for me would be new hybrid corolla or corolla sport tourer.

One way or another I will have 2 services this year and next month I will need to get two new tyres. My car really likes to chew on thos front tyres! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

I'm driving a 07 IS250 which I have had for the past 8 years.
    It has served me so well - In all that time, I have only had to replace the alternator.

I will be replacing her this year with a 142/151 IS300H.
    Car tax should be considerably lower with the Hybrid as well as my fuel bill.

Any IS300H owners out there? What is your experience of driving one?

I test drove one this year, Nice to drive, but the backseat and boot were a lot smaller than the Leon I'm driving at the moment. The transmission is enormous inside the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I'm driving a 151 Golf R. I've just exported it to Germany.

Tomorrow I've to get my car on German plates as I've moved to Germany. I've decided with the 8k vrt refund (vrt exam completed before I left) and adding a little bit more to it, I will modify it and try get 600bhp out of it to make it a little more fun on the Autobahn :P

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

I'm driving a 07 IS250 which I have had for the past 8 years.
    It has served me so well - In all that time, I have only had to replace the alternator.

I will be replacing her this year with a 142/151 IS300H.
    Car tax should be considerably lower with the Hybrid as well as my fuel bill.

Any IS300H owners out there? What is your experience of driving one?

I missed your post earlier. I currently drive one. It's a very smooth, refined and relaxing car to drive. Fairly quiet too unless you go poking at the gearbox, then it can get loud. The problem I have with it is that the car never feels fast and the throttle lag at the lower speeds caused by the CVT box might be an issue for you. Up at motorway speeds, its a lot more responsive especially in sport mode. I'd do an average of about 52mpg on the motorway. Definitely get an extended test drive before committing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Boradriver

I'd love a red Up! GTI this year. Sadly, I don't think it'll happen, given VW Ireland don't bring them in. Something really appealing about that car. I'd love razzing to work in it every morning & it'd be fine for the odd spin up the M7.

Such a shame it isn't sold here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

X5 hybrid (171) is waiting for its VRT this week, hopefully will have it next week. Was originally thinking of a 330e but when I saw one in the flesh it just wasn't big enough for a family of 5 (kids are 16, 11 and 8, the 530e not much bigger) and I realised I'd miss the extra height that you get with a SUV (or SAV as BMW insist on calling them). Plan is to keep it for a year or two then look at perhaps a 2nd hand Q5 hybrid in late 2020. Looking forward to getting back into a petrol-driven momo after a hiatus of a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

viperirl wrote: »
    Currently driving a 171 Lexus IS300h. As reliable and comfy as the car is, the CVT transmission is quite annoying at times - not so much the noise but rather the lag. Also I've never really warmed to the newer facelift version of the car, from some angles the front is quite ugly imo.

Strongly considering an Alfa Romeo Giulia. I drove one at a recent Alfa testdrive event in December and it feels such a different car for all the right reasons.

I know, I know.... changing from a Lexus to an Alfa......

Do it, you'll love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

vectra wrote: »
    If I won the euromillions I would be ordering an Audi sQ7 :)

Presonally I would go sQ8 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Presonally I would go sQ8 :P

A8L? Missus would love the massage and kids would do well with the tech and ac to keep cool.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Keep the A6 for another year if all goes well. Have a new house coming in March, so the pennies need to be saved for at least another year or two but I plan to drive it till it stops being economical to repair.

It's a 01 but only 132k miles on the clock so should be good for another few years. Needs a new set of tires and I might get the alloys cleaned up.

The body work needs a bit of attention. Anyone know how much a full body respray would cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Lantus wrote: »
    A8L? Missus would love the massage and kids would do well with the tech and ac to keep cool.

Nah man , its all about the rice cooker now :pac:
    https://www.audi.jp/rice/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

deceit wrote:
    I'm driving a 151 Golf R. I've just exported it to Germany.

Is it rhd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Is it rhd?
    Yea its rhd, from the uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

04 S2000...

Back on the road this Friday, now insured as a classic :pac:

Hard top fitting kit arrived last week, collecting a new hard top later in the month.

Soft top a bit leaky so will hopefully travel to wales to get new one fitted by Jack Smiths.

Front and rear lips to be painted and fitted (long overdue).

Lube service also due now then time to enjoy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,485 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What would peoples thoughts on the likely direction of the market over the coming months? I read today that month to date new sales are 12% down.

Have a old car to scrap and a 151 Note to trade/sell and was looking at buying a new car like a Skoda Octavia or Leon, so around the 27k price range.

My 151 has only 33k km's on it, so my thinking is that although I would like a newer car, it simply doesn't make sense.

But what is really stopping me is I wonder what the effects of Brexit may be. Don't want to be buying now and seeing the prices drop in April.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What would peoples thoughts on the likely direction of the market over the coming months? I read today that month to date new sales are 12% down.

Have a old car to scrap and a 151 Note to trade/sell and was looking at buying a new car like a Skoda Octavia or Leon, so around the 27k price range.

My 151 has only 33k km's on it, so my thinking is that although I would like a newer car, it simply doesn't make sense.

But what is really stopping me is I wonder what the effects of Brexit may be. Don't want to be buying now and seeing the prices drop in April.

Thoughts?

It's pretty much impossible to tell - it all depends on how Brexit happens; If there's a "free trade" agreement in place or not and a lot of other things.

On the second hand market, the situation in Ireland is peculiar - part of my "plans" were to get something coupe' and fast, but there's essentially nothing as the market is now flooded with 2009-2012 "recession cars", all obviously in diesel guise. The very few good cars, well, people are trying to sell them at unreasonable prices (just saw a 2007 335i for 14k...).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Leroy42 wrote: »

Thoughts?

There are also a new model Leon and Octavia due towards the end of this year so take that into account if your worried current resale values.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think the new WLTP rules have the motor trade all in a tissy.

Under the old rules the difference between a Focus petrol and equivalent diesel was about €350. It's over €2500 now.

New like for like diesel sales will inevitably fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Current plans:
    2017 Ioniq EV - Planning to sell this shortly, in the next month or two. Buying new cars is a bad idea (I get bored too easily) so I'm going back to the bangers!

2008 Prius - Herself's car, going to sell this one too once it passes its NCT next month. She's looking at getting something a bit more interesting (in her definition not mine) so probably a mini cooper.

This time last year I was driving a Peugeot 406 TD and she had an XTrail - neither of us planned to change so who knows what will happen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I've been thinking about it for long enough... It's time to finally pull the finger out of my a*se and pull the trigger on a Golf GTI in 2019. I like driving and I like cars, so why the heck not!

Mission accomplished! :cool:

• Advertisement

New Fiesta ST2 - with performance pack?

Advertisement