Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

• Registered Users Posts: 39,120 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

yup! :mad:
    I'm not really sure what you are doing tbh. I've only used it once or twice. But I didn't need to roll the bar up my quads.
    Start on the floor.

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not really sure what you are doing tbh. I've only used it once or twice. But I didn't need to roll the bar up my quads.
    Start on the floor.

yeah I sit on the floor with my back against the bench, legs out straight and the bar loaded, but I need to get to a position where my pelvis/hips are under the bar so I can bend my knees up into the starting position, rolling it up is the easiest way but because my feet are on the raised bit at the front and my thighs are not small there's very little space for me to get under the bar.

A bit of googling shows that the trick is to have the barbel elevated on each side with the plates resting on something like this guy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Mellor wrote: »
    Start on the floor.

I've never seen a hipthrust bench in a gym in Ireland...where are you guys training that has them???

There have been selectorised "booty-builder" machines put in the Westwoods lately which are the closest I've seen.

Normally I just use a regular bench and roll the bar up my thighs while sitting on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

not gym behaviour but I really hate those hip thrust benches, with that raised platform at the front if your thighs are in anyway big dragging the bar up to your hips is like the most excruciating quad rolling ever!! someone tell me this is a common thing and I'm not just using it wrong!

Wait....thats *not* for tying your shoes on?:confused:

• Advertisement

JayRoc wrote: »
    I've never seen a hipthrust bench in a gym in Ireland...where are you guys training that has them???

There have been selectorised "booty-builder" machines put in the Westwoods lately which are the closest I've seen.

Normally I just use a regular bench and roll the bar up my thighs while sitting on the ground.

Flyefit have them and Ben Dunne have them too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

When I'm doing it I just pick the thing up and rest it on my hips before slowly putting myself on the ground. Then putting it back I just do a half rep up and slowly get into the sitting position so I can unload the bar. Dono how people can crawl under them without it just crushing your quads.Between sets I just sit there under the bar. No big deal when it's in position really. It's a bit tiht at the quads but nothing major.

My first visit today to Westwood in Sandymount (due to works in my normal gym).

It's like a bricks-and-mortar embodiment of this thread. I've never seen so many signs insisting on so many rules in one place. From the standard (don't use a locker without locking it, use flip flops in the changing/pool area, don't be a weirdo in the spa), to the odd (you MUST wear swim hats while sitting in the jacuzzi) to the hilarious (please use a towel to dry your bollix, not the hairdyers....complete with an actual illustration of what not to do. That one was my favourite).

I didn't need to train. I was exhausted just reading all the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 24,563 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's like a bricks-and-mortar embodiment of this thread. I've never seen so many signs insisting on so many rules in one place. From the standard (don't use a locker without locking it, use flip flops in the changing/pool area, don't be a weirdo in the spa), to the odd (you MUST wear swim hats while sitting in the jacuzzi) to the hilarious (please use a towel to dry your bollix, not the hairdyers....complete with an actual illustration of what not to do. That one was my favourite).

Should really have said "Don't be a spa in the spa".

I love that they had an illustration...lad blowdrying his ballbag with a red circle around and a line through?

I love that they had an illustration...lad blowdrying his ballbag with a red circle around and a line through?

Pretty much, and a drawing of a very happy chappy giving himself the old "bowling ball" dry with a towel. So weird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Used to live on St. John's Road and that was my gym for a few years (2002-06 timeline). It was the same then to be fair - one thing with the rules plastered all over the place is you really have no excuse like saying you weren't aware.

Used to live on St. John's Road and that was my gym for a few years (2002-06 timeline). It was the same then to be fair - one thing with the rules plastered all over the place is you really have no excuse like saying you weren't aware.

I'm going to be honest and say that I did note the majority of the people there today appeared to be of a certain demographic (basically; older people with money), and in my experience this is a demographic that complains a lot. About everything.

My thinking was that maybe all the signs were a deliberate policy to mollify serial complaint-makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I'm going to be honest and say that I did note the majority of the people there today appeared to be of a certain demographic (basically; older people with money), and in my experience this is a demographic that complains a lot. About everything.

My thinking was that maybe all the signs were a deliberate policy to mollify serial complaint-makers.

It's certainly changed then, was full of 20somethings back then, followed closely by 30somethings.....13 years ago.

Tbf the issue isn't the gym, it's having to post what should be obvious because of other scuzz buckets not knowing how to act in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,690 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

"Must wear swim cap in Jacuzzi"

That wouldn't be the norm would it? I use a lot of hotel gyms/leisure centres up and down the country with work and haven't seen that before.

"Must wear swim cap in Jacuzzi"

That wouldn't be the norm would it? I use a lot of hotel gyms/leisure centres up and down the country with work and haven't seen that before.

Swim cap is the only thing I wear in the jacuzzi.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

GreeBo wrote: »
    Tbf the issue isn't the gym, it's having to post what should be obvious because of other scuzz buckets not knowing how to act in public.

I still don't understand the problem with using the hairdryer on my bollocks. It's a hair dryer and my bollocks and gooch are densely haired. Probably more so than my head.

My only other option is to stand bollock naked with my legs apart for 15 minutes to let the air at them.

This is a joke.I don't use a hairdryer on anywhere except my shoulders

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

GreeBo wrote: »

To be fair, when it comes to gym etiquette I think a lot of regular users see it as ‘common sense’ because they’re regular users, but normies likely just don’t know that stuff. I was lucky in that I got a big talk when I joined my first gym at around 15 in school running me through all this, and later got to train with some bodybuilders who filled me in on the rest. And I’m too much of a socially anxious mess to not do anything in ‘the rules’ and risk upsetting others. But in other gyms I’ve joined since I’ve never even been offered an instructional guide. Most people are self-conscious when first joining a gym so wouldn’t want to ask, so they just copy what they see and you get a blind leading the blind situation, hence the need for signs, which I’d see as a good thing tbh. I’d sooner go to a gym with loads of signs up than none because at least it shows they give a ****.

leggo wrote: »
    To be fair, when it comes to gym etiquette I think a lot of regular users see it as ‘common sense’ because they’re regular users, but normies likely just don’t know that stuff. I was lucky in that I got a big talk when I joined my first gym at around 15 in school running me through all this, and later got to train with some bodybuilders who filled me in on the rest. And I’m too much of a socially anxious mess to not do anything in ‘the rules’ and risk upsetting others. But in other gyms I’ve joined since I’ve never even been offered an instructional guide. Most people are self-conscious when first joining a gym so wouldn’t want to ask, so they just copy what they see and you get a blind leading the blind situation, hence the need for signs, which I’d see as a good thing tbh. I’d sooner go to a gym with loads of signs up than none because at least it shows they give a ****.

I think thats a fair comment for things like doing X in a squat rack but not for things like drying your hairy bollix with a hairdryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Getting back to everyones favourite topic of holding on to the treadmill for dear life while it is on an incline.
    There was a lad in the gym last night with the treadmill up to at least 15% if not more, hanging on while wearing a weighted vest. No hat though :-(
    Maybe next week....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I did see a lad this week, incline, walking and holding the top of the machine with both hands.
    Unnecessarily tying up machines, wanted to use the calf raise machine, for me I’d be on and off in less than 2 minutes, this guy was using it as an opportunity to catch up on his social media with stupidly long gaps between what he was doing.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Pretty much, and a drawing of a very happy chappy giving himself the old "bowling ball" dry with a towel. So weird

Seems to be a problem in Iceland as well...

(Probably get you a strange look if there's anyone else than can see the screen when you open)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Seems to be a problem in Iceland as well...

(Probably get you a strange look if there's anyone else than can see the screen when you open)
    And why would that be in the paper's Women's section... :confused:

I haven't been to the gym in a few weeks.
    Glad I'm not annoying anyone

Barna77 wrote: »
    And why would that be in the paper's Women's section... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

It was the same the last time I was there. Anywhere there was space for a sign had a sign.....
    Plus they were all very cranky in tone.
    My favorite was "No not spray deodorant cans in the changing room" or similar. Presumably in case one of your "fellow members" might be overcome by the whiff? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Guy on an assault bike and doing sit ups. With a samurai sword.

Check out @TheRealJHair’;s Tweet: https://twitter.com/TheRealJHair/status/1098660665076502528?s=09

Some people use PEDs, some people use samurai swords

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

And some people stage videos to try go viral on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Found myself guilty a few times lately of having no gym lock.

Last minute decisions to head to the gym from the girlfriend's place.

On the bright side, without a lock, I'll always use a bottom locker that most people don't use. Both to not annoy people and have a lesser chance of theft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

And some people stage videos to try go viral on the internet.

what? you mean a unhinged looking guy going around a gym waving a dangerous sword could be staged?

Advertisement