Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,741 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Great post. That bit above reminded me of a clip on John Oliver's show of your typical union jack clad brexiter talking about the war. "I lost a grandfather in the first world war and an uncle in the second world war and we survived". Yep. That's how the thinking goes. Somebody should have reminded him that his grandfather and uncle didn't survive.

There was a good piece by Channel 4 examining the brits obsession and inability to move on from the blitz and the war, basically comes down to that is the last time they can really hold onto them being a GREAT britain

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I wonder if no-deal Brexit would mean that Ireland would start getting UK base-spec German cars here? The base models in UK are way more equipped than the ones they sell here.

Only if people are willing to pay for them

Vastly higher initial registration taxes are why they put out cheaper models here; no other reason. They have even poorer base specs in other countries with higher registration taxes - Netherlands and Denmark for instance. I've seen cars with steel wheels and winding windows in Denmark that aren't even offered without alloys and full electric in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

And therefore not as many, and certainly not as many if the UK economy tanks due to the EU wishing to punish the UK

The UK Government published their own report yesterday on the impact of No Deal, predicting a 9% hit to GDP if they choose No Deal. The EU are not doing this to them, the EU have a deal agreed with the UK negotiators sitting on the table. If the UK choose No Deal, they are doing damage greater than the 2008 bank crisis to themselves, voluntarily.

And yes, sales of Mercs and BMWs will take a hit. Sales of everything will take a hit, including Irish beef. But the UK is perfectly entitled under the terms of the Lisbon Treaty to do this to themselves, the EU can't stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

But not as many unless Merkel does a deal. At the moment 1 in 7 cars made in Germany are exported to the UK, the UK is an important market for German car manufactures, worth about $98 billion a year. If the UK economy tanks and tariffs are introduced, it is possible those sales to the UK may decline dramatically. The EU sells more to the UK than the UK sells to the EU, and the UK was always one of the main net contributors to EU funds, so it is in the EU's interest to do a deal.
    the UK sells more to Ireland than we do to them. We have them over a barrel and should demand an extra €100 Bn. They need us more than we need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

That's not how tariffs work.

85% of cars sold in the UK are "imported" (I'm not sure you can actually import/export technically within the EU, but let's stick with that terminology anyway) from the EU.

Tariffs mean that UK citizens will be spending more on these 85% of cars, this could only ever impact the EU manufacturers if (i) UK had an indigenous car market (ii) UK had a trade deal with another country from whom they could immediately start importing 85% of their cars.
    And even if the Japanese manufacturers left in the UK could magically up production to replace German imports, the cars would be more expensive than now because most of the components are imported into the UK and would face tariffs too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭Enzokk

To be fair, there are a few politicians in Westminster who shine out like diamonds in a dung heap. Jess Phillips for one.

That is one very passionate speech. The sad thing is people would rather believe and respect JRM more with his proper pronouncements when he tells them mockingly they will have cheaper shoes or if they need to use food banks it is actually an uplifting spectacle. Jess Philipps may not sound like a leader but I know she has more moral fibre and leadership qualities and fight in her than Boris Johnson, David Cameron, George Osborne and JRM and the rest of the Eton old boys combined. She had to fight for where she is, they got it handed to them on a silver platter.

Of course there are countries and areas in the EU with lower unemployment than the UK. The point I made earlier in the thread was that UK unemployment last year was less than half of the average unemployment rate in the Eurozone. Of course areas within countries differ, for example there is a huge difference between Silicone valley and Chicago. We were comparing average between countries. Compared with OECD countries outside the Eurozone, unemployment in the Eurozone is very high.

IF things are going so great, why is the use of food banks going up in the UK? Or is that also an indicator of how well a country is doing?

Food bank use in UK reaches highest rate on record as benefits fail to cover basic costs

But not as many unless Merkel does a deal. At the moment 1 in 7 cars made in Germany are exported to the UK, the UK is an important market for German car manufactures, worth about $98 billion a year. If the UK economy tanks and tariffs are introduced, it is possible those sales to the UK may decline dramatically. The EU sells more to the UK than the UK sells to the EU, and the UK was always one of the main net contributors to EU funds, so it is in the EU's interest to do a deal.

This has been discussed before on this thread but here is two posts concerning German car makers and statistics.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109189709&postcount=5629

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109190196&postcount=5662

Some statistics from those posts,
    In 2017 26.9B euros were exported to the US and 25B to the UK. But if you add the next two single market countries, France (16.3B euro) and Italy (12.3B euro), that already is more than the UK.
    In contrast the average UK price for a car imported from Germany is 32 500 euro. By comparison the average export to France is 57 000 euro and Italy is 39 600 euro. The average US price per vehicle exported is 54 500 euro according to the two sources. Spain is at 41 700 euro, Poland is 69 300 euro and the Netherlands is 76 600 euro.

So the average price per German vehicle exported to the UK is the least among those I have listed. The price in China isn't even that excessive, it is just a little more per average than the Netherlands. I am sure we would get a clearer picture if we knew what vehicles were exported to the particular countries and also what type of taxes each country applies, but it does seems that while the UK accounts for a lot of vehicles in total it may not be the most profitable for German car makers.

So the UK is an important market but the amount of cars exported by value, while being the most in the EU, is not as much as the next two markets in the single market. So they will not get a preferential deal over the SM.

As for value, as you can see the average price per car exported is quite low to the UK so it seems that the buy a lot of vehicles, but those could be cheaper than other countries.

There's a key distinction if I'm understanding this correctly; 1 in 5 German cars are exported, of which 1 in 7 are exported to the UK. So the German domestic market buys the vast majority of its cars.

Now, I'd suggest that this doesn't include German cars which are final-assembled in US/Asia/S.Africa from tools/parts shipped to those countries.
    I doubt very much the German domestic market buys most of the cars built here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

farmchoice wrote: »
    Nicked from Reddit

he5aw3vepyi21.png

this chart is doing the rounds at the moment but there is something in it i dont understand.

if there is a vote to rule out leaving on ''no deal'' we then move to a vote on an extension, if this passes there is some sort of an extension requested, but if it fails? the assumption on the above chart is that we are back to leaving on the 29th with no deal, but where is that coming from, may has stated that the only way to rule out no deal if the WA is rejected is to revoke article 50.
    yesterday she explicitly said that following a vote to rule out no deal and then a vote in favor of a short extension no deal is then back on the table in the extension period( this makes logical scene, if such a thing exists in brexit). But if the vote to extend fails? we have then had 2 previous votes one to reject the WA and one to reject ''no deal''. these are not either/or votes.

logically this leaves the only option available to the PM revoke article 50.

May has pretended to take No Deal off the table, but actually, she has made it much more likely. I Listened to her speak in the HOC yesterday and she was repeatedly asked 'If there is a vote to leave the EU with no deal, will you whip your party to vote against it?" and she repeatedly refused to answer it, but on every opportunity, she stated that she has categorically ruled out voting to revoke Article 50.

May has absolutely not taken No Deal off the table here, She has made it much more likely that between now, and June, the UK will crash out of the EU. If the HOC do not vote for May's deal, and they do not vote to leave with no Deal, they will vote for an extension, But if this extension is only until June, and the UK does not participate in EU elections, than no further extension is allowable so they will ether vote under duress for May's deal, or crash out.

If the UK miss out on the EU parliament elections, they might even lose the ability to unilaterally withdraw Article 50

May's strategy is extremely irresponsible. She is deliberately stripping power from the Parliament in the hope that hundreds of them will climb down and support her previously rejected deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

seamus wrote: »
    It seems to me that the entire country, media and population alike, are certain that the UK will not leave without a deal. They can't say how it will be avoided, just that they know for certain that it will. So they refuse to even discuss it.

Maybe they'll be right in the end, but the collective head in the sand is really worrying.

True. Parliament can vote for any number of motions, resolutions and amendments to bills, but none of these on their own is enough to stop no deal. Only three things can do that: passing an agreed Brexit deal; seeking an extension of Article 50 or revoking the original Article 50 letter.
    On the first one, May's bluff, blackmail and brinkwomanship strategy of terrifying waverers into support as the cliff-edge looms was shot down by her own party this week at least for now, and the second option, an Article 50 extension looks more likely. But what then? It would be quite a gamble to let everything else fail in the hope this delivers the numbers for a second referendum, but the third option, revoking Article 50 will never be voted for in the HOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Schnitzler Hiyori Geta

murphaph wrote: »
    I doubt very much the German domestic market buys most of the cars built here.
    Where are the other 4/5 cars going?

• Advertisement

True. Parliament can vote for any number of motions, resolutions and amendments to bills, but none of these on their own is enough to stop no deal. Only three things can do that: passing an agreed Brexit deal; seeking an extension of Article 50 or revoking the original Article 50 letter.
    On the first one, May's bluff, blackmail and brinkwomanship strategy of terrifying waverers into support as the cliff-edge looms was shot down by her own party this week at least for now, and the second option, an Article 50 extension looks more likely. But what then? It would be quite a gamble to let everything else fail in the hope this delivers the numbers for a second referendum, but the third option, revoking Article 50 will never be voted for in the HOC.

Her brinksmanship position hasn't been shot down at all. In fact, she's shifted into 5th gear. If HOC rejects her deal, rejects no deal, and then votes for her short 3 month extension, then the options of a 2nd referendum, a significant renegotiation (Corbyn's deal) and possibly unilateral revokation of A50 will be gone. If they vote for the short extension, it could essentially lock Brexit into place 100%

It will go from being '3 options, Mays Deal, No Deal, or No Brexit'
    to 'Mays Deal or No Deal'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Looks like the threat of delay has Mr Rees Mogg reconsidering the May Deal.

Hopefully some nice words in the codicil will be enough to get him and his chums over the line. He really wants to leave on the 29th.

UK accepting May's Deal is the ideal outcome for me now - the UK needs Brexit, and they should have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,193 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Looks like the treat of delay has Mr Rees Mogg reconsidering the May Deal.

Hopefully some nice works in the codicil will be enough to get him and his chums over the line. He really wants to leave on the 29th.

UK accepting May's Deal is the ideal outcome for me now - the UK needs Brexit, and they should have it.

I would be very comfortable with the WA as final outcome of the process. Deal is best of a bad world for the EU and delivers Brexit to the extremists in the UK.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Akrasia wrote: »
    farmchoice wrote: »

May has pretended to take No Deal off the table, but actually, she has made it much more likely. I Listened to her speak in the HOC yesterday and she was repeatedly asked 'If there is a vote to leave the EU with no deal, will you whip your party to vote against it?" and she repeatedly refused to answer it, but on every opportunity, she stated that she has categorically ruled out voting to revoke Article 50.

May has absolutely not taken No Deal off the table here, She has made it much more likely that between now, and June, the UK will crash out of the EU. If the HOC do not vote for May's deal, and they do not vote to leave with no Deal, they will vote for an extension, But if this extension is only until June, and the UK does not participate in EU elections, than no further extension is allowable so they will ether vote under duress for May's deal, or crash out.

If the UK miss out on the EU parliament elections, they might even lose the ability to unilaterally withdraw Article 50

May's strategy is extremely irresponsible. She is deliberately stripping power from the Parliament in the hope that hundreds of them will climb down and support her previously rejected deal.

She cannot verbally take no deal off the table as that is one of her bargaining chips with the EU to possibly get a better deal.

If she keeps the majority and gets an extension, then she could simply call a referendum where the choices are May's deal or no Brexit.
    I think that's the only way she gets out of this with any reputation* at all - if her deal passes, she's the person who got the UK out of the EU; if no Brexit passes then she gets what she actually wants and keeps Corbyn in his box.

*not that it'll be a good reputation, it'll still be better than the crash-out no-deal they're on their way towards.

She cannot verbally take no deal off the table as that is one of her bargaining chips with the EU to possibly get a better deal.
    I've yet to see someone explain what "take no deal off the table" actually means? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You need to have a look at this, which is the source for the information in that fact checker.

From a cursory reading, it looks like just over 5.5 million passenger cars were produced in Germany in 2017 of which roughly 3.5 million were registered in Germany. That's out of a global production of almost 85 million cars.

Nonsense. She knows the negotiations with the EU are over. She is using the threat of a No deal as a bargaining chip in negotiating with her own party and the opposition.

She's not threatening the EU with no deal, she's threatening the Parliament, and the United Kingdom.

It's a bit like someone negotiating an Armastice threatening to burn all the food supplies in their own nations granaries unless their own parliament agrees to the deal. Its borderline treasonous

I've yet to see someone explain what "take no deal off the table" actually means? :confused:

It means to allow a no deal crash out happen.

Ok I googled the German wiki.

It says while Japan and above all the US and China produce for domestic consumption, 69% of passenger vehicles built in Germany are exported, the highest passenger vehicle export rate of any country.

"Während Japan, aber vor allem China und die USA stärker für das Inland produzieren, gehen von der deutschen Pkw-Produktion rund 69 % ins Ausland – die weltweit höchste Pkw-Exportquote."

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobilindustrie

• Advertisement

Nonsense. She knows the negotiations with the EU are over. She is using the threat of a No deal as a bargaining chip in negotiating with her own party and the opposition.

She's not threatening the EU with no deal, she's threatening the Parliament, and the United Kingdom.

It's a bit like someone negotiating an Armastice threatening to burn all the food supplies in their own nations granaries unless their own parliament agrees to the deal. Its borderline treasonous

No-one in the EU wants a no deal crash out. Its one of her last bargaining chips.

*I don't agree with her strategy by the way, just telling you how it is.

The only way to actually take no deal off the table is to introduce a bill (law) that changes the default position from crashing out of the EU, to withdrawing Article 50.

The only way to do this would be to have a law that says something like 'if there is no agreement between the UK and the EU by the 29th of March, the uk will automatically, unilaterally revoke Article 50'

If the HOC was serious about avoiding No deal, they would introduce this as an amendment some time in the next few weeks.

It means to allow a no deal crash out happen.
    I'm not being thick, but what in practical terms does that mean. I don't see any way that they can promise that. No deal is the default position and I've yet to see any single idea that would "take no deal off the table"

You need to have a look at this, which is the source for the information in that fact checker.

From a cursory reading, it looks like just over 5.5 million passenger cars were produced in Germany in 2017 of which roughly 3.5 million were registered in Germany. That's out of a global production of almost 85 million cars.
    It doesn't say that. Those 3.5m registered vehicles include foreign built ones.

No-one in the EU wants a no deal crash out. Its one of her last bargaining chips.

*I don't agree with her strategy by the way, just telling you how it is.

Nobody wants it, but they have no way of stopping it if the HOC are determined to allow it to happen.

The EU won't renegotiate the Withdrawal agreement, they won't even be functioning for half of the '3 month extension' that May wants. She has been told over and over and over again that the WA is the deal. She isn't negotiating a new deal, she's trying to force her parliament to vote for her existing deal.

The Threat of a No deal isn't a threat against the EU, it's a threat against the UK

The only way to actually take no deal off the table is to introduce a bill (law) that changes the default position from crashing out of the EU, to withdrawing Article 50.

The only way to do this would be to have a law that says something like 'if there is no agreement between the UK and the EU by the 29th of March, the uk will automatically, unilaterally revoke Article 50'

If the HOC was serious about avoiding No deal, they would introduce this as an amendment some time in the next few weeks.
    But that's the worst option from a governmental perspective and is, frankly, not going to happen. It would be the HoC unilaterally going against the "will of the people" in the referendum. The only way I can see actually taking no deal off the table would be a guarantee of a referendum which was a choice between a deal of some sort and no brexit.

Ok I googled the German wiki.

It says while Japan and above all the US and China produce for domestic consumption, 69% of passenger vehicles built in Germany are exported, the highest passenger vehicle export rate of any country.

"Während Japan, aber vor allem China und die USA stärker für das Inland produzieren, gehen von der deutschen Pkw-Produktion rund 69 % ins Ausland – die weltweit höchste Pkw-Exportquote."

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobilindustrie
    I wonder:

1) "Built" must mean final assembly and not include cars which are manufactured in Germany and undergo final assemble elsewhere?
    2) The 1 in 7 UK statistic is, as I understand it, 1 in 7 of that 69%

It doesn't say that. Those 3.5m registered vehicles include foreign built ones.

It seems there is a fair bit of (purposeful) confusion over some of the figures - in any event I think we can agree that the number imported into the UK is not has high as was being previously suggested?

But that's the worst option from a governmental perspective and is, frankly, not going to happen. It would be the HoC unilaterally going against the "will of the people" in the referendum. The only way I can see actually taking no deal off the table would be a guarantee of a referendum which was a choice between a deal of some sort and no brexit.

Does anyone seriously think that No Deal is 'the will of the people'?

A bill to 'take no deal off the table' could have the above mentioned clause to automatically withdraw A50 as a last resort, and also include a provision compelling the HOC to legislate for a referendum within 12 months (for example).

This would be more democratic. It would protect the interests of the people while giving them a chance to reconsider their options and if they really really want to leave the EU, to vote in favour of that in a 'final say' referendum (or whatever you want to call it)

• Advertisement

Nobody wants it, but they have no way of stopping it if the HOC are determined to allow it to happen.

The EU won't renegotiate the Withdrawal agreement, they won't even be functioning for half of the '3 month extension' that May wants. She has been told over and over and over again that the WA is the deal. She isn't negotiating a new deal, she's trying to force her parliament to vote for her existing deal.

The Threat of a No deal isn't a threat against the EU, it's a threat against the UK

This is a bit of a cyclical discussion but anyways...

A No Deal crash out is very much a problem for the EU, particularly for Ireland where WTO tariffs will pretty much kill off our beef industry, unless the EU are prepared to stump up something like a billion more in subsidies for Irish beef farmers. There are numerous ways a no deal crash out is bad for the UK and EU. May will want to leave that card on the table for as long as possible. Its one of the few cards she has left to play.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement