Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The Italian 10 or 15 should have been MOM.....

Surely it should have been the scrum-half?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Surely it should have been the scrum-half?

Tebaldi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

Why awarded O'Mahony man of the match?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Perifect wrote: »
    Why awarded O'Mahony man of the match?

Because he rugby good.

Buer wrote: »
    Because he rugby good.

:D No, I asked did Why give O'Mahony the man of the match award? Why? I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Who awarded O'Mahony man of the match?

Reggie Corrigan.

aloooof wrote: »
    Reggie Corrigan.

When was a man of the match last awarded to the other team by an Irish analyst?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There's sort of an unwritten rule that motm must be awarded to a player from the winning team. Probably to avoid another Launchbury WC 2015 scenario. England had just lost to Oz and he was the most miserable motm winner you'd ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

When was a man of the match last awarded to the other team by an Irish analyst?

Our first game of this 6nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Surely it was the Italian broadcaster who would have decided the MOTM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

bilston wrote: »
    Surely it was the Italian broadcaster who would have decided the MOTM?

It’s not really an official thing, they probably did.
    I think we all get very hung up on motm awards, it’s really a pile of nonsense. It’s picked generally by an ex player who may have warped picks, like picking someone from their old team or avoiding someone from their team so as not to be called biased. They may plump for say a forward as they played forward or a back because they don’t understand the finer points of a certain position. Often though they just pick someone who made a couple of show reel plays or the 10 because he kicked.
    We then end up places like this claiming he is the best for that position because he got the award and happens to be from our province or that it was s joke he got it because he’s not from our province.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

salmocab wrote: »
    It’s not really an official thing, they probably did.
    I think we all get very hung up on motm awards, it’s really a pile of nonsense. It’s picked generally by an ex player who may have warped picks, like picking someone from their old team or avoiding someone from their team so as not to be called biased. They may plump for say a forward as they played forward or a back because they don’t understand the finer points of a certain position. Often though they just pick someone who made a couple of show reel plays or the 10 because he kicked.
    We then end up places like this claiming he is the best for that position because he got the award and happens to be from our province or that it was s joke he got it because he’s not from our province.

Heaslip and Quinlan seem to pick the MOM for most of Irish games so far......we will be waiting for a cold day in hell before a back gets MOM again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Because he rugby good.

He also rugby god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

He also rugby god.

Only one God exists.......

BOD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

200 days to go to the RWC from today!

Do we have a match thread for France yet? I was hoping they'd adopt their usual bat**** selection policy and drop Dupont for Parra. But alas, it wasn't to be. Here's the side

1. Poirot
    2. Guirado
    3. Bamba
    4. Lambey
    5. Vaahaamahina
    6. Lauret
    7. Iturria
    8. Picamoles
    9. Dupont
    10. Ntamack
    11. Higher
    12. Fickou
    13. Bastereud
    14. Penaud
    15. Ramos

• Subscribers Posts: 41,140 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Higher lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭crisco10

I fear France are stumbling upon their best XV just in time for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't know how it works out as such but we always seem to get France when they've a little bit more spring in their step.

This result is by no means a foregone conclusion. That back line is well able to hurt us from anywhere. We'll need to really put the squeeze on them up front early on and try to dampen their spirits.

For all the criticism they've taken, they've the makings of a side there that could be the core of their side for the next decade. Penaud (22), Ramos (23), Fickou (24), Ntamack (19), Dupont (22), Lambey (24), Bamba (20), Iturria (24). On the bench, aside from Medard, all subs are between 21 and 26 years of age.

If they actually stick with those lads and don't do the usual madness of sending them to purgatory after a single poor showing, France have the makings of a brilliant side.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

If they actually stick with those lads and don't do the usual madness of sending them to purgatory after a single poor showing, France have the makings of a brilliant side.

Can’t help feeling this has happened more by accident than design. Brunnel has shown no consistency in selection up to now. If we beat them on Sunday it’s very likely that he will drop half of them the following week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EachSmallChime

Marmion called up to the Ireland squad after a great performance at the weekend.

I know it sounds a bit knee-jerk and sensationalist to call for Murray to be dropped but could a fastball scrum-half be the key to get Johnny Sexton ticking again?

Not sure how it would help the rusty Murray situation though

• Subscribers Posts: 41,140 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Marmion called up to the Ireland squad after a great performance at the weekend.

I know it sounds a bit knee-jerk and sensationalist to call for Murray to be dropped but could a fastball scrum-half be the key to get Johnny Sexton ticking again?

Not sure how it would help the rusty Murray situation though

i dont think we should be using the six nations to get murray up to speed.

Id actually like to see marmion start on sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Was an updated Irish squad ever confirmed?

Last I checked the bookmakers had Ireland as 14 point favourites. Ireland has only ever covered that handicap once: 24-9 in RWC 2015. I think it's going to be a close one and a Sunday atmosphere won't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Was an updated Irish squad ever confirmed?

Last I checked the bookmakers had Ireland as 14 point favourites. Ireland has only ever covered that handicap once: 24-9 in RWC 2015. I think it's going to be a close one and a Sunday atmosphere won't help.

Don't think so. Would updated squad usually be released this week ahead of team announcement?

• Administrators Posts: 53,468 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Squad confirmed today I think, with 23 announced at the usual time later this week.

Squad confirmed tomorrow morning.

''The Ireland squad reconvened last night following last week’s training camp in Belfast. The following injury update has been issued:

Robbie Henshaw is improving more slowly than hoped and he will continue his rehab this week. Joey Carbery is progressing well through his hamstring rehab and will be managed across the early part of the week.

Andrew Conway has fully recovered from cramp suffered post the Italy game. Dan Leavy will continue to increase his running volume outside of team training in the early part of this week

All players in action for their provinces over the weekend in the Guinness PRO14 have reported no issues upon returning to national camp.

The Ireland squad for Round 4 of the Guinness Six Nations Championship will be confirmed tomorrow morning.''

https://www.irishrugby.ie/?p=67153

Sounds like neither Henshaw or Leavy will make it for Sunday. We could really do with both of them in the 15. France have actually named an unchanged side for once and there's the chance they'll actually click against us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I don't like watching rugby as much as I used to I must admit. There's very little offloading or backline moves. It's just players running into each other now. Referees have also clamped down on the holding the ball up turnover and there's very little competing at rucks anymore. In fact it's getting more like American Football and Rugby League. I like watching Ireland win but I don't like watching them play.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    Sounds like neither Henshaw or Leavy will make it for Sunday. We could really do with both of them in the 15. France have actually named an unchanged side for once and there's the chance they'll actually click against us.

Don't think Leavy was ever going to make it back in time for this one unfortunately.

Presumably Aki, Beirne and Stander are all ok if they're not named in injury update?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement