Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭Patser

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So what was assumed to be a mundane enough Monday before more madness in the HOC tomorrow and the days after seems to be not mundane at all.

Time is up for May, no more can kicking allowed, and with nothing to show she'd be hammered in her vote tomorrow and humiliated.

So desperation for anything to show for last months meeting after dithering meeting may have forced her into something dramatic, which allows the EU act - or more likely act dramatic now so that something tiny can be held up as a massive trophy tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Strange that Barnier was here yesterday for the Rugby and was with Varadker, and now we have a mad dash off a Transatlantic jet to head for an unscheduled Cabinet Meeting.

Drama for drama's sake, or what the F is going on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Nothing from Tony?

That's a bit strange isn't it?

He is normally the first with the gossip...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

It all seems a bit staged. The - will she, won't she, go to Strazborg, the Taoiseach being "pulled off a plane", the Irish government being dragged to a late cabinet meeting. It all seems like a week effort to sex up watever bland interprative statement has been agreed, to give MPs in Westminster enough of a show to justify changing their minds.

Hopefully Leo knows whats going on.........

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1105199977410768897

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Nothing from Tony?

Maybe because its Strasbourg rather than Brussels?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Sky news are saying that Arlene foster and Nigel Dodds are meeting with the government chief whip for the last 40 minutes and there will be statements released at 10pm UK time from the chief whip.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Faisal Islam doesn't see the point of a "unilateral" statement from the UK that the EU does not endorse...

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1105198173226708993

All a bit confusing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I'd never read too much into what Laura Kuenssberg has to say!

Not sure how I feel about the UK getting to release a unilateral statement on the backstop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Nothing from Tony?

Tony was talking about this six hours ago. Probably gone to the pub now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67,030 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Not sure how I feel about the UK getting to release a unilateral statement on the backstop.

It's absurd if not surreal. So outside the UK we can all go 'Yeh, sure Theresa, dream on'?

How embarrassing for them if they go for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Laura kuenssberg may aswell be writing for the daily mail the way she goes on. Not alot of insight and loves to blurt out stuff with little basis.

Shining example of how far the BBC have fallen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Rees mogg comes across as such a genuine old chap for the working class masses that adore him on that channel 4 program

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Gintonious wrote: »

That actually makes sense. May might cancel tomorrows vote if she knows she is going to be humiliated again, and the only way she can get away with that is if there is an agreement on an extension with the EU that she feels she can sell to the HOC

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Laura Kuenssberg suggesting theres a bit of uneasiness in Dublin over the UK and the possibility of being allowed a unilateral statement on the backstop.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1105197987381284865

I think the unilateral statement is just to rempahsise the legal part for their own audience. As everybody is in a meeting either here or Europe I'd wonder who her source may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Akrasia wrote: »
    That actually makes sense. May might cancel tomorrows vote if she knows she is going to be humiliated again, and the only way she can get away with that is if there is an agreement on an extension with the EU that she feels she can sell to the HOC

If she cancels the vote, there is a good chance that she'll face a vote of contempt and that it will pass. That would mean her resignation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Govt representatives present in Strasbourg...

https://twitter.com/Claude_Moraes/status/1105192349171417089

https://twitter.com/MargSchinas/status/1105201002351857664?s=19

Will they still be all smiles after?

Strange that Barnier was here yesterday for the Rugby and was with Varadker, and now we have a mad dash off a Transatlantic jet to head for an unscheduled Cabinet Meeting.

Drama for drama's sake, or what the F is going on now.

He was never on a plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,030 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Hurrache wrote: »
    He was never on a plane.

Is that confirmed?

Gintonious wrote: »

Jaysus, if true she's not even going to bother try further the agreement but it's all about the extension?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Laura Kuenssberg suggesting theres a bit of uneasiness in Dublin over the UK and the possibility of being allowed a unilateral statement on the backstop.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1105197987381284865

She's doesn't know what's going on in London. I seriously doubt she's got any better an inside track with the Irish government.

If she cancels the vote, there is a good chance that she'll face a vote of contempt and that it will pass. That would mean her resignation.

True, she may face a vote of contempt, but if she didn't lose the No confidence vote, she may not lose a vote of contempt either. She might be prepared to take the risk but if she loses her 'meaningful vote' by 200 votes again where does she go from there? She could be left with nothing but a choice between one humiliating climb-down or another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    My understand is that there'd be customs checks immediately, as the UK would be trading on WTO terms and customs checks would be required at every border, including Dover-Calais and the NI border. Please correct me if this isn't legit.

I think the UK would wait a short while for Ireland to put up customs first to protect the single market. Then shout "oh look they broke the GFA" and errect their own customs infrastructure to protect their market.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Cox is pivotal now. His interpretation will decide what happens next if there is a codicil.

He was never on a plane.

Yes it appears some of the staff were at Dublin airport. The Taoiseach wasn't as far as I can tell. I mean can it be a cabinet meeting in Dublin when some of the cabinet have left the country ? I realise there are ways to contact them but it's why I don't think it's drama for dramas sake because it seems to have caught people on the hop. If it was all for show none of the ministers would have left and found an excuse to still be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

He was never on a plane.

Yes I know, but the reportage from some quarters added to the drama :p

tuxy wrote: »
    I think the UK would wait a short while for Ireland to put up customs first to protect the single market. Then shout "oh look they broke the GFA" and errect their own customs infrastructure to protect their market.
    They would be taken to the court in The Hague where their 'but Ireland started it' defense would be laughed out of the courtroom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Tony c currently on bbc news channel

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement