Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW EGR cooler recall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Rang Conlans this morning as I am booked in on Friday morning, just to get a lay of the land. They are grounding 10% of cars at the moment - wouldn't say for how long. Obviously the part is not in stock though if cars are being grounded.

Courtesy car booked for the day - they said it would probably be another 5-series.

Would not give any commitment around what car would be available as a rental in the event that our car is grounded. We've a 1000km trip at the weekend with 2 kids and luggage so I won't be handing back the keys to the courtesy car until they confirm a "large" rental car for me. Mentioned the requirement for a large rental on the phone but would not commit to anything at all - it seemed to be a very sore point for them.

Be interesting to see what happens on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kenny f

Has anyone seeked legal advice regarding compensation i am with my 132 520 m sport for 7 weeks now and they have provided me with an opel astra and will not tell me when my vechicle will be returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

How is this working out for anyone who has a leased car?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

tcawley29 wrote: »
    How is this working out for anyone who has a leased car?

I had mine in for an A/C recharge.. I presume they did an inspection.. I was just told to keep an eye on it, and that if I got a burning smell to get in touch with them.

I'll drop it in during the summer when I presume they'll have dealt with any backlog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

kenny f wrote: »
    Has anyone seeked legal advice regarding compensation i am with my 132 520 m sport for 7 weeks now and they have provided me with an opel astra and will not tell me when my vechicle will be returned.

That is nuts. At this stage I wonder if more important markets are getting priority for parts, Germany, China, etc. Our market is tiny so maybe they just aren't bothered. Having said that UK owners are getting shafted too with long wait times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

7 weeks is disgraceful. 2 months is a long time without the use of an expensive depreciating asset. I’d be pushing for some gesture of goodwill from them. This seems like it could be a huge hit to the brands image if not sorted out very quickly. People who have been burned (excuse the pun) like this will no doubt be very reluctant to buy Bmw again. And rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I had mine replaced in December. Left it overnight and collected it the following afternoon.
    doran2436 wrote: »
    Hi my car has been in a BMW dealers for over 4 weeks now i have a rental i30. There still is no update for when the car will be ready. They have 16 cars there all waiting on the part

How can one person get their car back the next day and then you have others waiting for 4 to 7 weeks and not knowing when they will get them back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I've read through most of this thread so forgive me if this has already been answered:

My 162 x3 went into limp mode 4 weeks ago on the motorway. I made it home and the garage got a flatbed out to collect it.

I had it back 1 day later. Now it looks like people are waiting a lot longer than that, so I'm wondering if they replaced the part or just reset the sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

My 141 520sport was taken in 5+ weeks ago and still in the holding area. I called yesterday and was told it could still be another 3 weeks before it even gets to a garage. I know myself that the garage already have 60+ cars there for the same reason and not getting through a lot considering they have their everyday repairs also. BMW said they will upgrade me to an F group car that is similar to mine and I will get a call from Europcar about it. Funnily enough, europcar don't have any in stock, surprise surprise!

I will be ringing them today to make sure they source me one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

red petal wrote: »
    My 141 520sport was taken in 5+ weeks ago and still in the holding area. I called yesterday and was told it could still be another 3 weeks before it even gets to a garage. I know myself that the garage already have 60+ cars there for the same reason and not getting through a lot considering they have their everyday repairs also. BMW said they will upgrade me to an F group car that is similar to mine and I will get a call from Europcar about it. Funnily enough, europcar don't have any in stock, surprise surprise!

I will be ringing them today to make sure they source me one.

When you say taken in, do you mean it had an issue related to the recall and they towed it?

• Advertisement

When you say taken in, do you mean it had an issue related to the recall and they towed it?

Yes, it had the warning lights and loss of power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Yes, it had the warning lights and loss of power.

is it possible those symptoms/problems are unrelated to the EGR issue, and you are unfortunately stuck in a long (EGR)queue?

is it possible those symptoms/problems are unrelated to the EGR issue, and you are unfortunately stuck in a long (EGR)queue?

No, there was a drivetrain warning on the dash board and that along with loss of power is what was listed on the recall letter.

No, there was a drivetrain warning on the dash board and that along with loss of power is what was listed on the recall letter.

fair enough. hopefully they'll get you sorted soon.
    i'm in at the end of the month. no symptoms. no white smoke. coolant level has been consistently good.

they better have a decent replacement. i'm not driving around in a frickin Toyota!:eek:

i'm not driving around in a frickin Toyota!:eek:

A Toyota might get to you to where you actually want to go, unlike your combustible BMW! :pac:

A Toyota might get to you to where you actually want to go, unlike your combustible BMW! :pac:

it's ok i have a very nice bike.:D

I got my car back this afternoon just over 4 weeks even though i stupidly took it out for a day when the part wasn't replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

As in the parts have arrived?

Big Nasty wrote: »
    As in the parts have arrived?

I dont know to be honest i just got a call today to say the car was ready and i could collect it when i wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I dont know to be honest i just got a call today to say the car was ready and i could collect it when i wanted

Hopefully we'll start to see some movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

My car is booked into Waterford soon, not by choice but for convenience as its close to where both of us work. Was told they needed the car for the day....fair enough. Asked about a loan car, none available I was told....tough Sh*te really.

Rang BMW Ireland, was told that there is no issue getting a loan car so they put me on hold, then all of a sudden I was talking to a lovely girl in the UK who advised that it was up to the local BMW garage to supply a car if available and apologised that no loan cars were available. She said if I had arranged a replacement car at the time of the recall booking they would have had one for me.

Trying not to be smart, I asked her should that not be down to the service centre to arrange the loan car. Like they knew 6 weeks previous when they took the booking for the recall that they would need my car for the day but I would also need a car for the day so a little bit of joining the dots by BMW would have meant for a better customer service experience.

So now, I have to drop kids to school, then drop car to BMW, then get someone to pick me up, then I have to hire a car for the day at my expense and sit by the phone waiting for BMW centre to call me. The whole idea of buying a car is to use it everyday, like we depend on them, that's why we buy them. The idea that we can just drop off the car at a BMW service centre and be told to be on our merry way on foot is crazy. I thought buying into a premium brand would be a good experience....how wrong I was!!!!!

So I left my 520D into Bolands Waterford this week and hey presto my car is grounded due to a leaking valve. I actually got a call from BMW Ireland first off to tell me that a hire car would be arranged for me. I asked the agent what was happening with my car and she did not have any details. I kinda thought the dealership might have called me first to let me know what was going on. Anyway about an hour later, service dept called me to give me the good news that my car was one of the 1 out of 6/7 to be grounded on safety grounds. Fair enough!!

I asked the chap how long are we looking at, he couldn't give me an answer, I asked is there many others waiting and he said yes, a lot.

Later that afternoon, Europcar called and told me they had a car for me and that they would deliver it to my door in a half hour if that suited. A brand new Hyundai Tuscon with 10kms on the clock, happy enough, not a BMW, will suffer it for a few weeks ;). Once I get my car back with a new valve fitted then I am happy that it is grounded.

The Europcar driver told me that they are out the door with this recall issue from BMW and most people are being fobbed off (by BMW) with the smallest cheapest bog standard hire car they can get away with. I was just lucky he told me. The car I got was all they had.

I have never had a car that was part of a recall before but it does not look like BMW are handling this one very well!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have never had a car that was part of a recall before but it does not look like BMW are handling this one very well!!
    The idea of grounding their customers cars for an unknown duration because of a design safety issue and providing them with a newish competitor model.
    Not the smartest marketing move!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

My auld lads 518 is in waiting in Bolands too, they've been very good in fairness, its not like this issue can be resolved any quicker if the parts simply can't be made quick enough. We also got a brand spanking new Tucson, can't see how its Irelands best selling SUV to be honest. I just find it so cheap in places and completely gutless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Did you all get courtesy cars for the inspection day? If so, were they like-for-like models?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Got an 09 520d auto while my 330d was in for a service and the inspection. Looked like a trade in but everything with it was spot on and I was happy out to be mobile.

When my wife's one was in for a service and inspection there was no loaner.

1.6 million cars recalled, over 10,000 cars in Ireland alone.

Best advice is to view this as a first world problem, your loaner car will make the eventual return of your car all the sweeter.*

*Unless the loaner is a Superb 1.4Tsi, then you will wonder why you endure that N47 tractor lump.

1.6 million cars recalled, over 10,000 cars in Ireland alone.

Best advice is to view this as a first world problem, your loaner car will make the eventual return of your car all the sweeter.

You dont know how true this actually is!,i got my own car back yesterday and after driving a Fiat Tipo and Golf while the Golf is a very nice car its no comparison for a bmw.

You dont know how true this actually is!,i got my own car back yesterday and after driving a Fiat Tipo and Golf while the Golf is a very nice car its no comparison for a bmw.

i actually find the same after coming back from hols.
    you dont realise what a pleasure it is to drive until you've gone a couple of weeks driving a nissan, a seat or a ford.

i'm always singing with joy when i get back into my beautiful BMW at the airport.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

My auld lads 518 is in waiting in Bolands too, they've been very good in fairness, its not like this issue can be resolved any quicker if the parts simply can't be made quick enough. We also got a brand spanking new Tucson, can't see how its Irelands best selling SUV to be honest. I just find it so cheap in places and completely gutless.

It's the whole SUV look, that "economical"* diesel engine, 5 year warranty. Grand family car for 2 to 3 kids. Not expensive to buy

And it's shiny and new.

And like you I can't see the appeal either.

*have no idea how economical they area

• Advertisement

I just had a 2017 5 series dropped to my workplace. We had to change rental companies as europcar are absoultely dire.

I've no idea when I will get my car back but at least a car closer to my own will shut me up moaning for a little while.

Advertisement