Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,031 ✭✭✭✭unkel

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I'm just talking about an equivalent car. If a base spec Leaf is €30k+, you get a lot more for €30k in a petrol

Isn't this the Ioniq thread?

Show me a hatchback petrol automatic that sits 5 people with a very high spec (incl. level 2 autonomous driving) for the same money I paid for my Ioniq on the road (EUR25k incl metallic paint)

And then try and convince us that car will also depreciate only about EUR1k per like my Ioniq has done

I bet you will find that a bit too much of a challenge ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

unkel wrote: »

Show me a hatchback petrol automatic that sits 5 people with a very high spec (incl. level 2 autonomous driving) for the same money I paid for my Ioniq on the road (EUR25k incl metallic paint)

And then try and convince us that car will also depreciate only about EUR1k per like my Ioniq has done

He will show you a car that can drive to Cork :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,761 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mike9832 wrote: »
    He will show you a car that can drive to Cork :pac:

Who wants to drive to cork :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭denismc

listermint wrote: »
    Who wants to drive to cork :)

Yeah, we are thinking of building a wall to keep all the refugees out of Cork:p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes yes you got a great deal, we know
    However this is not available now.

No point basing the calculations on a long closed discount.
    Ioniqs purchased today even if you spend hours chasing every dealer for scrappage are 26k minimum. Most likely 27 if you include metallic paint.

ANd will likely depreciate a lot more than yours did in your first 12-18 months.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    However this is not available now.

No point basing the calculations on a long closed discount.
    Ioniqs purchased today even if you spend hours chasing every dealer for scrappage are 26k minimum. Most likely 27 if you include metallic paint.

Sure. Maybe not at EUR25k. But even at EUR26-27k on the road (several people in this forum got a 191 Ioniq on the road for EUR26k) your depreciation will be no more than EUR3k per year over the next few years (provided of course you don't change your mind after a few months and tried to sell it then :pac:). Still far cheaper to buy one brand new than to run a diesel, any diesel, even an ancient banger you got for free, if you do 50-60k km per year...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

If the Ioniq meets your range needs and home charging is doable - I cannot think of a nicer car new for 30 k.

But always open to ideas in the ICE world.

Problem for me is that the ICE car just doesnt FEEL a leap forward vs the 20 year old Corolla - or rather not enough to justify 30 k cash or 3/400 Euro a month PCP.

I know that I shouldnt mention the Leaf but to be frank my January Leaf experience felt like the future - in a positive wow this is amazing way.

I'm sure the Ioniq is similar but with no rapidgate

Ioniq is similar with faster charging, no squashing of your knee in the driver seat.
    However both cars have sub 200km range on the motorway and less again in the depths of winter with heater on.

It's not the future as you don't have enough range to even match ICE tech, but it's a step there. Range will improve. I certainly woudlnt be putting 30k of my own cash towards a current EV. PCP with a high GFMV is the best option, let the bank take the risk.

I certainly woudlnt be putting 30k of my own cash towards a current EV. PCP with a high GFMV is the best option, let the bank take the risk.

With PCP, you pay for the bank to take a risk ;)

Ioniq is similar with faster charging, no squashing of your knee in the driver seat.
    However both cars have sub 200km range on the motorway and less again in the depths of winter with heater on.

It's not the future as you don't have enough range to even match ICE tech, but it's a step there. Range will improve. I certainly woudlnt be putting 30k of my own cash towards a current EV. PCP with a high GFMV is the best option, let the bank take the risk.

By felt like the future - I really meant in terms of the drive etc.

Yes I've heard about the squashed knee issue on the Leaf so I was surprised to find that it didn't seem an issue for me. Possibly I simply wasn't in the car for long enough

I thought I did a sufficient job of qualifying the comment by saying if the range meets your needs.

• Advertisement

With PCP, you pay for the bank to take a risk ;)
    No, with PCP with a high GFMV the bank takes the risk.
    If the car devalues then you can hand it back without suffering the depreciation. If it doesnt then you have equity to go again, or you can buy the car outright depending on the cost vs market value.

(Unless the "you" refers to me specifically in which case I get it, ha ha moving on too soon etc)

Old diesel wrote: »
    By felt like the future - I really meant in terms of the drive etc.

Yes I've heard about the squashed knee issue on the Leaf so I was surprised to find that it didn't seem an issue for me. Possibly I simply wasn't in the car for long enough

I thought I did a sufficient job of qualifying the comment by saying if the range meets your needs.
    It is the one thing I have noticed since going back to a diesel. Even with 6 cylinder, 2 turbos and 420 ft/lb, there's still a delay between flooring it and the power kicking in. Whereas in even the underpowered 110bhp Ioniq it was instant. The Kona I test drove was even more nippy. If that's what you mean by the future, the smoothness of the drive and instant power then I agree wholeheartedly.

It is the one thing I have noticed since going back to a diesel. Even with 6 cylinder, 2 turbos and 420 ft/lb, there's still a delay between flooring it and the power kicking in. Whereas in even the underpowered 110bhp Ioniq it was instant.

That's exactly what I mean. I've been banging on about this since before there were any electric cars - to deaf ears, even with proper petrol heads. Nobody seemed to understand what I was saying :confused:

That's what I loved about normally breathing big V8 petrol engines. Yet even with them, as pure as it gets with internal combustion engines, there was always the delay of the autobox (and manual is even worse)

None of this in EVs, which is what sold me more than anything else :cool:

No, with PCP with a high GFMV the bank takes the risk.
    If the car devalues then you can hand it back without suffering the depreciation. If it doesnt then you have equity to go again, or you can buy the car outright depending on the cost vs market value.

The bank takes the risk, but you pay a premium for them taking the risk. It's a bit like insurance. You pay your €500 per year insurance and if you cause €1,000,000 of a claim, the insurer will cover it. You premium (and that of all the other people taking PCP) is worth a good bit more than the total risk the bank suffers in any given year. Again, same as with insurance companies

This is why I'd love a Taycan, I imagine with the 800V system the instantaneous power is even more addictive than the performance Teslas.
    I'm currently dreaming of a model Y after the weekend.

But even in an Ioniq the instant power, for the first split second, it is better than any petrol car I've driven. And I've driven big block v8s with 2/3 speed auto gearboxes and 500+ hp to the rear wheels, or hot hatch civics with more hp/ton than any american muscle car.

That is the advantage of electric. The instant power delivery. I just wish that they would incorporate selectable gear ratios or something as it really tails off after 100-120 km/h in most models. Even 3 speeds would do, takeoff, cruising and overdrive.

800 v also opens up the possibility of faster charging - itself a massive game changer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

It is the one thing I have noticed since going back to a diesel. Even with 6 cylinder, 2 turbos and 420 ft/lb, there's still a delay between flooring it and the power kicking in. Whereas in even the underpowered 110bhp Ioniq it was instant. The Kona I test drove was even more nippy. If that's what you mean by the future, the smoothness of the drive and instant power then I agree wholeheartedly.

I couldn't believe back in 2015 how laggy my 250 HP 9-5 felt after I had test driven a 110 HP LEAF for a weekend. And I thought I had sorted out the turbo lag really well in it. It's was really noteceable when you overtook cyclists etc. You get used to both ways really quickly though.

When driving at proper motorway speeds the powerful ICE of course totally annihilates the EV.

My leaf 24 was nippier than the Ioniq, from memory, but it faded faster.

Old diesel wrote: »
    800 v also opens up the possibility of faster charging - itself a massive game changer

Taycan can charge at 350kW max (in comparison, the new Tesla supercharger v3 is maxed at 250kW)

Not only that, but all Ionity chargers are 350kW capable, they just need to have the liquid cooling cable installed before they can be swiched from the current 175kW settings

20-80% charge in about 10 minutes, good for another several hundred km at motorway speeds

My Porsche shares have suddenly jumped into the green today. I wonder is that related :p

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

My leaf 24 was nippier than the Ioniq, from memory, but it faded faster.

Hmmm - not so sure.

In Sport Mode, I reckon the Ioniq is every bit as nippy as my dear departed Leaf24.

Leaf24 definitely faded faster though.

There should be a 0-50km/h official test for all cars, EVs are good at that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Picked up a new black Ioniq EV last Friday.
    Got the Zappi charger installed today.
    Loving the car so far.
    Thanks for all the reading on this thread. It was very informative.
    Can u add me to the list of Ioniq drivers 😀

And have it booked in for Friday for the front grill wrap.

[IMG][/img]Screenshot-20190320-164825-01.png
    image upload

Glad you like it, well wear :D

Phantom Black is a great colour on Ioniq. I should have gone for that, or the Aurora Silver that I originally ordered, but changed my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Just for those interested in real world range, I drove from Dublin to near Downpatrick last weekend, a trip of 170kms each way.

It was about 8 degrees, windy and raining.

I drove at 120 kmph when on the motorway and the trip efficacy on each trip was 16kWh per 100 Kms.

That would give a range of 175kms if you drove from 100% down to 0%.

I'd say realistically that gives you a range of 155ish as your not going to go down to zero and need a few spare kilometers in the tank in case of diversion, wrong turns, planned charger not available etc.

Of to Westport now, will report back on Monday ;)

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Just for those interested in real world range, I drove from Dublin to near Downpatrick last weekend, a trip of 170kms each way.

It was about 8 degrees, windy and raining.

I drove at 120 kmph
    BigAl81 wrote: »
    say realistically that gives you a range of 155ish as your not going to go down to zero and need a few spare kilometers

So do as you say, not do as you do? :p

You have some balls to attempt a 170km trip in bad weather in winter at motorway speeds! When I just had the car I did same length motorway trip in summer and I got range anxiety (unjustified as I arrived at the fast charger with well over 10% left). If I had to do your trip in winter with no possibility of charging, I wouldn't quite drive at Leafspeed, but I wouldn't set the auto cruise for 130km/h either...

You have some balls to attempt a 170km trip in bad weather in winter at motorway speeds! When I just had the car I did same length motorway trip in summer and I got range anxiety (unjustified as I arrived at the fast charger with well over 10% left). If I had to do your trip in winter with no possibility of charging, I wouldn't quite drive at Leafspeed, but I wouldn't set the auto cruise for 130km/h either...

I got the impression 175 was an extrapolated figure and that he DID have a planned stop on route.

170 is not possible in the depths of winter.
    As I found out to my cost.
    150-160 max, less for comfort.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've done 170 on the way home in winter weather but 160 if I'm routing to a charger. Worst one was 140 heading south on the M1 into a gale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

As I found out to my cost.
    150-160 max, less for comfort.

While I respect that the above is your experience, it's not mine. Different driving styles will bring different results. 170km in winter is possible.

In February I got from my daughter's house in Hertfordshire to Membury services on the M4, total 175km. Granted there wasn't a lot left when I got there. I think it was 12km on the GOM, if memory serves. Those figures would be normal for me. I'm back in the UK at the moment. I'll be planning the same charging stops on the way back next week too, barring reports of faults. Summer makes it a lot easier, obviously.

I wouldn't risk it at 120km/h in winter. Slightly slower, no active cruise, no regen and you should be fine if you drive smoothly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

While I respect that the above is your experience, it's not mine. Different driving styles will bring different results. 170km in winter is possible.

In February I got from my daughter's house in Hertfordshire to Membury services on the M4, total 175km. Granted there wasn't a lot left when I got there. I think it was 12km on the GOM, if memory serves. Those figures would be normal for me. I'm back in the UK at the moment. I'll be planning the same charging stops on the way back next week too, barring reports of faults. Summer makes it a lot easier, obviously.

Are you running at 120km/h or 112 km/h that could well make the difference. Most of my longs I dial the cruise in at 130km/h which is around 125 actual.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement