Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RickBlaine

So this tweet has caused mass confusion.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1137051097955102720

Now Trump is bad but I don't think he so bad that he thinks the moon is part of Mars. I think what he is trying to say is that the NASA Mars program includes elements also involving the moon in some way.

But his grasp of English of atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

RickBlaine wrote: »

Now Trump is bad but I don't think he so bad that he thinks the moon is part of Mars. I think what he is trying to say is that the NASA Mars program includes elements also involving the moon in some way.

But only last month, he announced plans to go back to the moon! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

MrFresh wrote: »
    The idea behind a basic income is to ensure everyone has a minimum standard of living and thus address some of the root causes of crime and poverty. This would benefit everyone. Many people can't see past the act to the goal.

Committing crimes is a morality issue, if you become a criminal its through your own choices and you are a lesser human being than those who do not. It is not an economic concern. By your logic why would a rich person do a crime

Laois_Man wrote: »

You see, that's even more bat**** than the moon/mars confusion. Not only did he totally forget about his own policies, he now considers going to the moon to be a bad idea. Crazy stuff.

Yes, I think I am correct. The moon will be part of NASA's missions to Mars.

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1128341556828749824

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Committing crimes is a morality issue, if you become a criminal its through your own choices and you are a lesser human being than those who do not. It is not an economic concern. By your logic why would a rich person do a crime

More madness I see, if you are born poor and have no safety net like rich family or high likely hood of gainful employment due to poor education or geographical issues and criminal activity is rampant all around you, you are more likely to commit a crime statistics would say, if you are born rich with rich family and friends, high level education as you don't have to work ten jobs pay for it, you are less likely to commit a crime. It is quite simple. You drop GW Bush in his teens into Compton in the early 90's and he is far more likely to take part in criminal activity than if he stayed living with daddy? Does he suddenly have less morals? The fact that Trump was born rich, had every opportunity afforded to him, had all his fathers connections, 400 million dollars starting money and he decided to be a career criminal shows how amoral he is. He never had to work a day in his life, he could have lived abroad and banged models all the time, instead he let his ego take over and fraud his way into the Whitehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Laois_Man wrote: »

Jayus he does more flip flopping and full 360's than Eamon Dunphy!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Can some Trump defender please tell me he didn't actually say what we see him say?

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1137002774300889088?s=19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Going to Mars from Earth is kinda folly at this point, but the Moon has always been seen as a potential launchpad for deep space missions - the lack of atmosphere means (and taking some of the distance off) it could be theoretically cheaper to launch from Luna than somewhere on earth. A lot of the weight, expense and danger is spent just getting out of our atmosphere.

But there's no point in going to Mars if we're not going to stay there, and again, the Moon is a more sensible first step to see how colonies can work

So I'm guessing this is what Trump means with "of which the moon is a part", but as usual the man is clumsy and fumbling. What a wonder money can do to status. The media are latching onto this a little too eagerly mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,678 ✭✭✭✭listermint

RIGOLO wrote: »
    How long is any job ?

Other than The Pope, Emperor of Japan , I dont know of many jobs that are for life.

So I would imagine the people of Doonbeg are happy to have a job .
    I would imagine the people of Doonbeg are happy to have an opportunity to do their job, do their best, put in the hard slog and see where it goes and how long it lasts.

Only an anti-Trumper would import a sleight on Trump because he has given some people a job, with no guarantee of it lasting for in perpituity.

Id suspect being located on the West Coast of Ireland .. ludicrous amounts of water are not a huge issue, in the normal run of things.

UBER lost $1 billion this last quarter .
    They employ 500 people in Limerick .
    Do you object to all buisness that post a loss and that employ Irish people and bring revenue to the immediate community .

If you are working for Uber in Limerick I'd suggest you take all the upskilling that you can get out of then.

That business model cant and won't last at all. Unless they can get driverless car tech out accepted and at scale then they're dead.

They're model faces huge opposition all over the world bar places like the states where it's a race to the bottom for wages and employee rights . Kinda like the US jobs figures.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

pixelburp wrote: »
    Going to Mars from Earth is kinda folly at this point, but the Moon has always been seen as a potential launchpad for deep space missions - the lack of atmosphere means (and taking some of the distance off) it could be theoretically cheaper to launch from Luna than somewhere on earth. A lot of the weight, expense and danger is spent just getting out of our atmosphere.

But there's no point in going to Mars if we're not going to stay there, and again, the Moon is a more sensible first step to see how colonies can work

So I'm guessing this is what Trump means with "of which the moon is a part", but as usual the man is clumsy and fumbling. What a wonder money can do to status. The media are latching onto this a little too eagerly mind.

But you have to get everything all that fuel and infrastructure to the moon first and then Build everything necessary on the moon to make a launch to mars. And there’s no coming back from Mars. It’s a one way trip as things stand. Much as we wish it wasn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,880 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

But you have to get everything all that fuel and infrastructure to the moon first and then Build everything necessary on the moon to make a launch to mars. And there’s no coming back from Mars. It’s a one way trip as things stand. Much as we wish it wasn’t.
    You can make fuel on the moon by splitting water, it would negate the need to launch massive payloads from Earth if you could just dock with a refueling depot in lunar orbit. The costs would still be obscene though, I dont see any government like Trumps or any future administration going for it, unless the Chinese shame them into it, which is possible.

Thargor wrote: »
    You can make fuel on the moon by splitting water, it would negate the need to launch massive payloads from Earth if you could just dock with a refueling depot in lunar orbit. The costs would still be obscene though, I dont see any government like Trumps or any future administration going for it, unless the Chinese shame them into it, which is possible.

The Chinese would be first up to do it for sure. But it won’t be in our lifetime.
    Although that said, if anyone could find the crew willing to go to Mars full knowing there’s no Coming back, it would be them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,678 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The Chinese would be first up to do it for sure. But it won’t be in our lifetime.
    Although that said, if anyone could find the crew willing to go to Mars full knowing there’s no Coming back, it would be them.

In fairness you could get a crew like that from any country. Folks would scramble for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Can we nominate someone for the trip???

Water John wrote: »
    Can we nominate someone for the trip???

I can see the headlines /tweets now.
    ‘I’m going to build the first Trump plaza on the Mars!’

If only we could get him to go

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Your missing the point . Among other things launching from the moon for a Mars mission wont require the same amount of fuel as if it were done from Earth, so it really is a much better option. Plus establishing the lunar gateway and moon base gives NASA and private companies a chance to develop new technology and understandings of long range human manned space exploration.

NASA has been re-invigorated by the Trump administration , its all well documented, the new initiatives all well documented in his SPD directives , have put US public and private space exploration on steroids .

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Your missing the point . Among other things launching from the moon for a Mars mission wont require the same amount of fuel as if it were done from Earth, so it really is a much better option. Plus establishing the lunar gateway and moon base gives NASA and private companies a chance to develop new technology and understandings of long range human manned space exploration.

NASA has been re-invigorated by the Trump administration , its all well documented, the new initiatives all well documented in his SPD directives , have put US public and private space exploration on steroids .

I can’t help but laugh. Thanks for that :)

Donald could come out kicking puppies and you’d rationalise it :)

But hey. SPACE FORCE!!

I nominate you as admiral Space cadet :) and I mean that in the best sense

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Functionally those early trips to America by English settlers were one way trips; TBH if the technology was tested and lived in - again, making the moon a better starting point - there's no reason the same couldn't be sent to Mars. Regarding the fuel, as mentioned you can split water and I believe the moon has an abundance of helium 3. It's all theoretically possible, and lunar colonies are becoming more likely by the year.

And as for Trump's effect, many NASA missions and launches are arranged years and years in advance, given the necessity for accurate orbital positions of earth and destinations objects. Nothing happens in a hurry. A president can lead the emphasis but many initiatives would still be missions from previous administrations, even last year they were still only getting around to launches "started" 10 years ago. That's just the nature of the beast, let's not let hagiography get in the way of NASAs slower pace

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Committing crimes is a morality issue, if you become a criminal its through your own choices and you are a lesser human being than those who do not.

LOL. Decided to take a quick look at some old posts of yours
    im a student, i dont have the money to pay for it anyway, if i didnt have p2p i would just record from the radio, or borrow and rip cd's. im not going to buy the music anyway so the record industry isnt losing any money from me

• Advertisement

Don't worry it is all clear now, Neil Cavuto on Fox News told him his new talking point and he tweeted that out minutes later. Classic Trump. Exactly how a country should be run 180 after 180.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Poor argument. Committing crimes is a legal issue rather than a moral one. A crime is an act that becomes prohibited by virtue of having been specifically included in laws that describe the act as well as the range of punishments that are attached to its commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

https://www.irishpost.com/news/irish-school-children-left-gobsmacked-chance-meeting-president-trump-167863

What a feel good story.
    Those children had their dreams come true to meet the most powerful man in the world.
    They did a great rendition of the lovely rose of clare.
    What a trip.
    Thank you President Trump and God bless the USA and the emerald Isle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Morality is a question of circumstances and what the establishment decides to be a crime.
    I assume you are Irish so you might remember from history lessons at school that there was a time when even kids were imprisoned or deported because they stole a loaf of bread. They didn't steal it because it's fun, they were starving and didn't have a choice.
    Feed them, educate them and they will look after themselves eventually and contribute. But that doesn't suit the establishment, the rich, if you so will. Why? They need uneducated underlings to do their dirty work or as their voting sheep.

Why would a rich person do a crime? Well, look at the rich persons that do crimes - because they can. I.e. bankers, business people and politicians. Follow the news.

As for your remark about someone being a "lesser human being": In German that is "Untermensch". That's the term the Nazis used. It was a linguistic weapon to justify their extinction of people they didn't like or opposed their policies. Language is the first weapon to undermine democracy. Look at Trump and his tweets.

There is a reason that right leaning or downright authoritarian people want that people stay as uneducated as possible. It gives them power. It makes them feel superior. It makes it easier to be actually the true criminals doing their deeds in a more clandestine and lesser reported way.

Did I mention Trump? Do I need to?

On a lighter note regarding Trump, I've read the follwoing comments he gave to Fox News about the English queen:
    “There are those that say they have never seen the Queen have a better time, a more animated time.
    We had a period we were talking solid straight, I didn’t even know who the other people at the table were, never spoke to them. We just had a great time together.”

I mean I'm not a fan of any royalty but you have to feel sorry for old Lizzy who is used all her life to be as accommodating to all morons of this world as her salary demands. And Trump still thinks he is special. It's all about him. (On an even lighter note I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Lizzy's and Philip's bedroom after that Trump meeting... )

He really has no idea whatsoever about whatever. And that's before going into his comments on the Irish border or Brexit.

I'm with Pelosi to an extend who allegedly said that she wouldn't want him to be impeached but see him in prison.
    I'd like to see that man not only impeached but sectioned and never let out again.

https://www.irishpost.com/news/irish-school-children-left-gobsmacked-chance-meeting-president-trump-167863

What a feel good story.
    Those children had their dreams come true to meet the most powerful man in the world.
    They did a great rendition of the lovely rose of clare.
    What a trip.
    Thank you President Trump and God bless the USA and the emerald Isle.

Don't think I would let my child be wheeled out infront of a self confessed sex offender who has a history walking in on teenagers getting dressed and bragging about it. Especially with the morals of a sewer rat. I suppose the locals thought they had to do something to appease him. Works for Saudi's and Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Midlife wrote: »
    LOL. Decided to take a quick look at some old posts of yours

In addition, he has previously said rich people engaging in fiscal criminality is something he tends to respect. So there's some weird double standards..

Anyway, people who engage in criminality out of desperation to feed their family versus making ridiculous sums of money or being taxed less so. The former is a lot more morally understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Seems the threat of tariffs has had the effect Trump believed it would:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1137155057667989511

Great president. Important issue and finally it seems the US has a president willing to do what it takes to solve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

everlast75 wrote: »
    Can some Trump defender please tell me he didn't actually say what we see him say?

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1137002774300889088?s=19

'The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.'

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

I can’t help but laugh. Thanks for that :)

Donald could come out kicking puppies and you’d rationalise it :)

But hey. SPACE FORCE!!

I nominate you as admiral Space cadet :) and I mean that in the best sense

Its easy to rationalise the fantastic achievements and direction the TRump Administration is leading US public and private space exploration. ITs been 20 years since NASA was so invigorated.

You can rationalise it by looking at the 4 SPD Space Directives that Trump has issued to NASA and the broader space community.

SPD-1 - Directive to NASA to put us back on the moon
    SPD-2 - Directive for new licensing of reuseable rockets and reentry
    SPD-3 - Directive for a Space traffic management system
    SPD-4 - Directive for a new space force.....

You can rationalise it by looking at the Canadian Space Agency signing up to the lunar gateway program. Gateway Moon station: Canada joins Nasa space project
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47426798

You can rationalise it by watching all 2 hours 30 mins (which I did) of VP Pence in Huntsville , Alabama ' Rocket City ' , The Marshall Space Flight Centre , at the FIFTH National Space Council meeting.
    All the heavy hitters were there , NASA, Pentagon, TRansport Secretary, Commerce Secretary, Universities, Astronauts, USAF, all providing input on work they are doing to advance US space program.
    With numerous announcements on budgets , the establishment of The Space Force, mission to the moon, lunar gateway, Canadian Space partnership, the list goes on and on and includes the Trump Administration push for a US woman to be on the moon in the next 5 years . That will be an incredible achievement .
    Vice President Mike Pence asked NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine to accelerate the agency’s lunar exploration plans during a National Space Council meeting held at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama, March 26

You can rationalise it by looking at how serious the Chinese are about establishing a lunar base , as demonstrated by their recent mission to the dark side of the moon. The US needs to play catchup fast and TRump is pushing the sense of urgency.

And you can rationalise the great work done by the TRump administration on space exploration by looking at how Obama spent the first few years of his regime doing reviews and reports and then pulling the plug on some projects and sending US astronauts to the ISS on Russian rockets.

So you see its easy to rationalise ALL of the Trump administrations efforts for public and private space program expansion .

In fact in the Rigolo household this s all taken so rationally that one of my kids is on a path to be a pilot with a long term view/dream of entering a space program.
    So thanks for your nomination of me as Admiral Space Cadet, but I think that theres a much bigger chance one of my kids will go down the space cadet route as thats what they want to do.

• Advertisement

Good stuff. Just make sure he gets his US greencard and enters legally. Don’t think they’ll allow him take part otherwise ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement