Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

GreeBo wrote: »
    Spieth handed it to Willet, i think if the same was to happen for Rory it could reignite him and he could get a few more.

I'm not sure he can win one outright on his own at the moment.

I thought it was a cockney slang thing but now I read it back I get it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mistermiyagi

Keano wrote: »
    Hmmm - the reception he got on 18 was fairly decent for someone who needs to rebuild his relationship!

In golf news he’s 10 shots behind Rahm after just 13 holes. Me thinks last week is not helping this week

Now 4 ahead of J RR.
    Marathon not a sprint and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

McIlroy is one of the most disliked players. He alienates an awful lot of golf fans. Dodging the olympics. Skipping the Irish open was the icing on the cake.

He needs a strong caddie. Yr man Harry is just a bag carrier. He gives no input on shots, putts, green reads etc.

Contrast him with Lowry. Who I would guess is universally loved. People were genuinely delighted for Shane to win. The same with Harrington. McIlroy is polar opposite to these two.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Some finish from him. Hopefully that isn’t the one big round of the week and he goes on and gets the W tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Used to like popping in and out of these pages but golf forums on here have gone to dogs every thread after someone has a good or bad round is full of kids clearly on the wind up its ridiculous and its on par with the soccer forums at this stage. It teeds to be fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

jayo26 wrote: »
    Used to like popping in and out of these pages but golf forums on here have gone to dogs every thread after someone has a good or bad round is full of kids clearly on the wind up its ridiculous and its on par with the soccer forums at this stage. It teeds to be fixed.
    I see what you did there!:pac:

Finally we get 2 of the big boys go head to head in a final group tomorrow, I hope they both bring thier A game and put on a spectacle

GreeBo wrote: »
    I see what you did there!:pac:

Wish I'd of seen it I could of corrected it.

Finally we get 2 of the big boys go head to head in a final group tomorrow, I hope they both bring thier A game and put on a spectacle

Would be good to see mate a decent battle.

Scoring average over last 17 rounds is 67.6 including that 79 in Portrush. Supreme golf but needs to get those first round scores in the majors sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,171 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

jayo26 wrote: »

If we can’t talk about good/bad performance, what do you want to talk about?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Dav010 wrote: »
    If we can’t talk about good/bad performance, what do you want to talk about?

Agree but when you constantly see posts about how a golfer decided not to play in the Olympics 3 years ago or how unliked he is straight after has had a great round you kinda can see see some people don't want to talk about what has just happened.

Same in the shane lowry thread the other night and I'm nearly sure tiger Woods thread goes along same lines too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

bailey99 wrote: »
    McIlroy is one of the most disliked players. He alienates an awful lot of golf fans. Dodging the olympics. Skipping the Irish open was the icing on the cake.

He needs a strong caddie. Yr man Harry is just a bag carrier. He gives no input on shots, putts, green reads etc.

Contrast him with Lowry. Who I would guess is universally loved. People were genuinely delighted for Shane to win. The same with Harrington. McIlroy is polar opposite to these two.

You call out Rory for dodging the Olympics and then say Shane is great, he who also dodged the Olympics?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

GreeBo wrote:
    Spieth handed it to Willet, i think if the same was to happen for Rory it could reignite him and he could get a few more.

Harsh on Willett. He finished with a 67, and he finished with the same score that Spieth had on the tee at 12. He had just made a couple of bogeys right enough but 10 and 11 on that course are no cakewalks.

Willett earned that win and 100% deserved it. Spieth may well have blown up but he finished way behind in the end.

I don't think Rory needs that kind of scenario but if he does get it then he'd deserve it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Keano wrote: »
    You call out Rory for dodging the Olympics and then say Shane is great, he who also dodged the Olympics?!

Shane was upfront about though while Rory invented a cock and bull story. He should have just told the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Shane was upfront about though while Rory invented a cock and bull story. He should have just told the truth.

Did they both use the Zika Virus as an excuse?? Double standards in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,563 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

bailey99 wrote: »
    Skipping the Irish open was the icing on the cake.

He's done enough for the Irish Open in recent years, when it lacked support, that citing that reason to nor like him doesn't really cut it

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

How do we fancy McIlrat for today.?
    He might buckle in a group with brooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Rory........

Will I get a ban for this also?

I just need to know where the boundaries are for getting a ban.

I think it's just ones opinion that's gets them a ban.

Can't wait to see him crumble. And if he don't, he can really do it when it does not matter.

This is my opinion.... I should be allowed express it.

ABR... IS MY OPINION..

• Advertisement

Interesting day ahead. Big for Rory and Brooks. If Rory streaks ahead it will dent Brooks aura of calm invincibility. If Brooks dominates and Rory collapses it will knock Rory's confidence for 6.

galwayllm wrote: »
    Rory........

Will I get a ban for this also?

I just need to know where the boundaries are for getting a ban.

I think it's just ones opinion that's gets them a ban.

Can't wait to see him crumble. And if he don't, he can really do it when it does not matter.

This is my opinion.... I should be allowed express it.

ABR... IS MY OPINION..

So when does it matter?? Only 4 times a year at the majors??

He is probably playing the best golf of his career statistically, has 2 wins already and going for another tonight after the disastrous week he had last week. Pretty sure that shows how talented he actually is and that he does have some mental strength there especially given he was 3 over at one state during his first round.

Of course your entitled to an opinion but yours is clearly based on his character and not his golf game. This is a golf forum where the persons golf should be discussed mainly and little else.

Out of interest what is your take on Tiger?? And you can take it to PM so as to not derail the thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

I’d fancy Brooks he’s the world number 1, handles pressure well without a history of throwing in the towel, as for mcilroy, it’s always hard to follow a great round like a 62 with another one

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ligerdub wrote: »
    Harsh on Willett. He finished with a 67, and he finished with the same score that Spieth had on the tee at 12. He had just made a couple of bogeys right enough but 10 and 11 on that course are no cakewalks.

Willett earned that win and 100% deserved it. Spieth may well have blown up but he finished way behind in the end.

I don't think Rory needs that kind of scenario but if he does get it then he'd deserve it too.
    We'll have to disagree on that one, Willet was 3 holes ahead ... and spieth was 5 shots clear with 9 to play.

Willet played well, bogey free is no mean feat, but it was spieths to lose and he did, spectacularly!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

They both ‘invented’ the same story, but when Lowry says it he’s upfront about it and when McIlroy says it it’s cock and bull? Right :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

fullstop wrote: »
    They both ‘invented’ the same story, but when Lowry says it he’s upfront about it and when McIlroy says it it’s cock and bull? Right :rolleyes:

At least Rory came out in the end and said why he didn't go, Shane stuck to the lie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Should be really interesting though to compare the two, hopefully they both play well it’ll be great to watch, I wonder does it make them more nervous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

It would be exciting to see them both pull away from the field and go at it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Think Rory will need a fast start. But following a -8 round is always tough. Think he'll come up just short

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭abff

galwayllm wrote: »

If you genuinely believe what you're saying, then you have a very narrow definition of what matters. If we were to follow your opinion to its logical conclusion, there should just be four golf tournaments a year, because nothing else matters.

If it's just a wind up, it's not a particularly good one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement