Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai cricitise paedophile hunters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The police won’t do anything so they do. They expose scumbag paedophiles and livestream them, letting the community around them know that there is a beast among them. The beast can then be removed from the area. One way or another.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-50324952

Seems the idiots dont always expose "scumbag paedophiles".

• Registered Users Posts: 37,725 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

pjohnson wrote:
    We are all aware of this. Its been discussed many times in the thread.

eagle eye wrote: »
    We are all aware of this. Its been discussed many times in the thread.

Oh I'm sure it has. But that doesnt matter for the wanna be Batmans living out their childhood dreams of being a superhero.

Unfortunately they are too stupid to actually manage the "detective" part of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

pjohnson wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-50324952

Police were called. Arrested pending investigation. Found to be innocent. Released without charge. Also happened in the U.K. We are talking about Gardai criticising them, not U.K. police.

Police were called. Arrested pending investigation. Found to be innocent. Released without charge. Also happened in the U.K. We are talking about Gardai criticising them, not U.K. police.

Ok Bruce :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,725 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

pjohnson wrote:
    Unfortunately they are too stupid to actually manage the "detective" part of things.
    Oh I'm sure it has. But that doesnt matter for the wanna be Batmans living out their childhood dreams of being a superhero.
    So you don't think that many of these are victims of sexual abuse or relatives of victims?
    You know like people who have seen predators walk out of court scot free or with suspended sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

Every day people witness or read about things that are unjust, disgraceful and outrageous. We still cannot take the law into our own hands, That would be anarchy! These "hunters" , people of very questionable character and psychological profile(loose cannons in effect) are instinctively drawn to attack certain individuals who are an easy mark. It's animal psychology!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,141 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What difference does that make? Unless Irish vigilantes do something different that makes such a mistake impossible?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

And what was achieved? He was moved away from there to somewhere else where people don't know him, sure who gives a crwp about the kids wherever he ends up?

No different than moving priests around when they were caught. If anything youd imagine its help them because they are now somewhere new where no one knows them.

What was achieved was that the young children he abused that were living on the same street as him are now safe and not having to look at him sneering as he walked by them and their families. What
    Was achieved is that a lot of people know his name and what he looks like now. Sadly what's very worrying is that he's now been moved to another area where innocent children and families will not know who he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    Every day people witness or read about things that are unjust, disgraceful and outrageous. We still cannot take the law into our own hands, That would be anarchy! These "hunters" , people of very questionable character and psychological profile(loose cannons in effect) are instinctively drawn to attack certain individuals who are an easy mark. It's animal psychology!

And the suspicion has to be that most of those they do catch are isolated loners and misfits or individuals with special needs and not 'practising paedophiles' ie. the vigilantes aren't protecting society from anything at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Is here any evidence that time in prison can reform paedophiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

And you have no issue with being pictured in a paper having been arrested falsely and accused of being a pedo?

Look at threads on here, about any subject. Something could be debunked and then will pop up a few pages later used as evidence of something.

There will always be people that will look at you and just remember you being arrested for being a pedo. Then theres the "no smoke without fire" brigade.

And you have no issue with being pictured in a paper having been arrested falsely and accused of being a pedo?

Look at threads on here, about any subject. Something could be debunked and then will pop up a few pages later used as evidence of something.

There will always be people that will look at you and just remember you being arrested for being a pedo. Then theres the "no smoke without fire" brigade.

Whch, I'd bet, are pretty much the same people trying advocate the pedophile stingers in the first place...

What difference does that make? Unless Irish vigilantes do something different that makes such a mistake impossible?

They do thing differently here. They have to because of the different laws.

Nowhere in the article does it say they were “pictured in a paper”. Making things up doesn’t further your argument.

Oh, really? And what speicifc differenent laws do we have and what specific things do they do differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

So why don't you try to get the laws changed? That's what everyone else has to do. If the laws are that daft then it should be easy to change them right? Get on the airwaves. It's not as if it's the sort of law where if you changed it it would make no difference in practice.

I assume the falsely arrested people will be compensated at least for their time incarcerated? No doubt the "pedophile hunter" groups will put up the money for this wrong from the ad revenue they get from facebook, youtube and twitter?

Not likely. It's the "pedophile hunters" that should all be thrown in jail, what a bunch of tossers.

Oh, really? And what speicifc differenent laws do we have and what specific things do they do differently?

Google can help with that. I’m not your secretary.

So why don't you try to get the laws changed? That's what everyone else has to do. If the laws are that daft then it should be easy to change them right? Get on the airwaves.

I assume the falsely arrested people will be compensated at least for their time incarcerated? No doubt the "pedophile hunter" groups will put up the money for this from the ad revenue they get from facebook, youtube and twitter?

Not likely. It's the "pedophile hunters" that should all be thrown in jail, what a bunch of tossers.

I’m not sure on U.K. laws on compensation for wrongful arrest. I’m Irish.

Thread is about the GARDAI criticising paedo hunters. Not the U.K. police, not the US police and not the DRC police.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

What was achieved was that the young children he abused that were living on the same street as him are now safe and not having to look at him sneering as he walked by them and their families. What
    Was achieved is that a lot of people know his name and what he looks like now. Sadly what's very worrying is that he's now been moved to another area where innocent children and families will not know who he is.

How do you know that there are no other paedophiles living in that street? Paedophiles who haven’t been discovered yet, may never be discovered?
    You say that those children “now safe”. How do you know?
    Well over 90% of sexually abused children are attacked by someone their parent invited into the house.

• Advertisement

Google can help with that. I’m not your secretary.

I'm claimign the laws don't exist remember. And is you say "use Google" I'm not claiming you're either incapable of backing up your claims ot telling lies.
    I’m not sure on U.K. laws on compensation for wrongful arrest. I’m Irish.

Thread is about the GARDAI criticising paedo hunters. Not the U.K. police, not the US police and not the DRC police.

And telling lies it is so.

Case close, thank you for your admission.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

our laws and procedures are very similar to the UK. How do these pedo hunters act differently here and what law requires it?

I'm claimign the laws don't exist remember. And is you say "use Google" I'm not claiming you're either incapable of backing up your claims ot telling lies.

And telling lies it is so.

Case close, thank you for your admission.

U.K. law can convict someone for talking to someone they believe is underage. Irish law can’t.

That is fact. It’s why the RTÉ paedo got locked up. Just because I don’t know the laws on compensation doesn’t mean I don’t know any. Case close (sic)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

U.K. law can convict someone for talking to someone they believe is underage. Irish law can’t.

That is fact. It’s why the RTÉ paedo got locked up. Just because I don’t know the laws on compensation doesn’t mean I don’t know any. Case close (sic)

Grooming laws were enacted in Ireland in 2017. Are you sure you don't want to just admit you haven't a clue what you are talking about?

Whcih specific UK law states that?

You said "They do thing differently here. They have to because of the different laws" - and I'm challenging you (and by YOU, I mean YOU and NOT Google - just to be clear) what specific law you are referring to.

And I'd be pretty sure that the laws for wrongful arrest - that you admit to knowing nothing about - fall pretty much into this category, considering we're talking about what vigilante groups can and can not do.

So - as the poster above me said - you don't have a clue what you are talkign abotu and are lying to try and cover it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The UK Police said this:

An assistant chief constable with responsibilities for tackling online child abuse said paedophile hunting groups were usually acting in their own interests rather than those of the children, diverted police resources away from other offenders and often committed offences themselves.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-50302912

The Gardai said:

“When members of the public take on the role of law enforcement, that is not a positive development,” he warned. “We take child protection very seriously, and the activities of these groups are a major concern for us.

“It would appear to me that the focus of these groups is on publicity rather than justice focused and it is activity that I can neither welcome nor encourage.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda%C3%AD-express-major-concern-over-paedophile-hunting-groups-1.3783959

So in both countries so called Hunters are defying the advice of the police/garda.

Discodog wrote: »
    The UK Police said this:

An assistant chief constable with responsibilities for tackling online child abuse said paedophile hunting groups were usually acting in their own interests rather than those of the children, diverted police resources away from other offenders and often committed offences themselves.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-50302912

The Gardai said:

“When members of the public take on the role of law enforcement, that is not a positive development,” he warned. “We take child protection very seriously, and the activities of these groups are a major concern for us.

“It would appear to me that the focus of these groups is on publicity rather than justice focused and it is activity that I can neither welcome nor encourage.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda%C3%AD-express-major-concern-over-paedophile-hunting-groups-1.3783959

So in both countries so called Hunters are defying the advice of the police/garda.

Checks thread title. Google’s Gardai in U.K. Nope, all based in Ireland.

Going around in circles here, kid.

So, once again (and preferably without lies and vague referrals to Google this time please, because YOU posted it, NOT Google):

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Garda want these idiots to stop. Won't be long before the hunters become the hunted.

Edit - already happened.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-45811339

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,361 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

But see heres the thing, you've no idea if that's true or not , it's just a sentence on an internet forum by some anonymous person.
    That can easily escalate to vigilante action against someone without any evidence.

Can't say it would bother me too much if someone gave Creaven a bit of a kicking.

Advertisement