Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭irelandrover

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm wondering has it to do with 24volt supply and max 3 on each line...

I could of course be wrong but that could explain it.

I'm wondering has it to do with 24volt supply and max 3 on each line...

I could of course be wrong but that could explain it.

The base unit is 40W and claimed you can have 5 on each base unit. Thanks for the help anyway. Ill play around with it again tonight and also see the response from Philips.

Philips service were very good when I got in touch. They offered to send a new base unit and connectors for troubleshooting but said the units were likely defective.

I returned the 2 units and got 2 new ones. Plugged them in and they worked straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Okay moving into new house and have coloured hue bulbs from old house.

Regular Dimmer switches in new house so take it no issues dimming them manually via this switch.

Also about 10 gu10 spotlights downstairs installed. Want to change these also to hue or compatible.

What are the ikea one's like can they be controlled via the hue app or any issues especially option for setting timers

Going the lazy option linking Alexa to lights so can voice activate them. So just leave light dimming switch onto full. Don't want to get hue Dimmer switches

Any help appreciated.. Is AndyBoBandy in the house :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Regular Dimmer switches in new house so take it no issues dimming them manually via this switch.

no, old fashion dimmer switches won't work with Hue Bulbs. They'll turn the lights on and off like a normal on/off switch, but won't dim them, for that you'd need a Hue Dimmer Switch. I'd also recommend losing the traditional dimmers and replace with simple on/off switches.
    Going the lazy option linking Alexa to lights so can voice activate them. So just leave light dimming switch onto full. Don't want to get hue Dimmer switches

I have zero experience of using Hue outside of Hue (with the likes of Alexa etc...), apart from using Siri the odd time.
    Is AndyBoBandy in the house :-)

BoBandy is always in the house.....

Do not use a dimmer switch unless specifically for hue bulbs, you will blow the sh1t out of them....

I use Alexa sometimes.

Just so use to having phone and do most with that.

no, old fashion dimmer switches won't work with Hue Bulbs. They'll turn the lights on and off like a normal on/off switch, but won't dim them, for that you'd need a Hue Dimmer Switch. I'd also recommend losing the traditional dimmers and replace with simple on/off switches.

I have zero experience of using Hue outside of Hue (with the likes of Alexa etc...), apart from using Siri the odd time.

BoBandy is always in the house.....

Cheers might see about changing the Dimmer switches. Two Dimmer switches one for the spotlights other for main light. So may look at changing these to double light switch

What about the gu 10 bulbs. The hue are expensive so better save up as need 10 in total or better go with a compatible bulb like IKEA ones.

Hopefully AndyBoBandy has not left the house :-)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I only have Hue GU10's so can't comment on non Hue ones, but if you wait, and check Amazon daily, you will see good deals on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Sherfin

Ikea GU10 will work, but can be difficult to set up.
    I got 4 of these recently. Figured at €6 each, I could continue using them as 'dumb' bulbs if I couldn't connect them.
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/tradfri-led-bulb-gu10-400-lumen-wireless-dimmable-warm-white-60420041/
    They show in the hue app and work with google voice control and a hue motion sensor.
    To get them into the app, they almost had to be touching the bridge and took a few attempts but worth it in the end :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Sherfin wrote: »
    Ikea GU10 will work, but can be difficult to set up.
    I got 4 of these recently. Figured at €6 each, I could continue using them as 'dumb' bulbs if I couldn't connect them.
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/tradfri-led-bulb-gu10-400-lumen-wireless-dimmable-warm-white-60420041/
    They show in the hue app and work with google voice control and a hue motion sensor.
    To get them into the app, they almost had to be touching the bridge and took a few attempts but worth it in the end :)

I had bought a few of them as well, and it was a proper PITA to get them to sync with the hue bridge. They worked for about 2 weeks, then one by one start to disconnect. I did it the resync 2-3 times and then i just replaced them with Philips in black friday. Too much pain for the savings.

Okay may just leave as is and get hue gu 10 when deals come up and I have cash for them

Okay may just leave as is and get hue gu 10 when deals come up and I have cash for them

Best option to be honest.

I'm buying then going fitting the lamp holders....

Plan on doing kitchen and sitting room, disco app will look good then.

Okay discussion ongoing with Miss Gunner on the Dimmer switches.

Can they blow the Philips hue bulbs if we don't replace them with regular switches

I want to replace them but asked what difference does it make..

(Insert smart Smiths song reference here)

Anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

I don't think there's an issue once you leave them permanently on the fully on position, or even if you turn them on and off. Dimming at the switch will likely cause some issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

Okay discussion ongoing with Miss Gunner on the Dimmer switches.

Can they blow the Philips hue bulbs if we don't replace them with regular switches

I want to replace them but asked what difference does it make..

(Insert smart Smiths song reference here)

Anyone

I found that Philips Hue lights flicker when in a fitting (B22) controlled by an existing dimmer switch, may not always be the case. I just have lamps in rooms with dimmers, but plan to change them out at some stage.

You will damage the led bulbs if it's dimmed on a ordinary switch.

They flicker and will burn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

Hey All, finally thinking of adding GU10s to kitchen - recessed LEDs in at the moment, do I go for cheaper White or the extra money for Ambiance Whites? dont use ceiling lights much, theres already lamps with hues in there, lamps are ambiance whites though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭jones

I prefer the Ambiance just because you have a range of colours in ambiance which is nice for different moods - i have 14 white ambiance in my kitchen and love them and use different scenes for different times along with the motion sensor. I use basic whites for walk in wardrobes etc as i dont need any sort of colour spectrum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

If I have an old lamp that, for example, suggests a max 20w bulb, can I use a "40w equivalent" Hue bulb in the lamp and set it to 50%?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

Thoie wrote: »
    If I have an old lamp that, for example, suggests a max 20w bulb, can I use a "40w equivalent" Hue bulb in the lamp and set it to 50%?

Thats about power usage not brightness, ie a 40w equivalent hue bulb only uses around 6W looking at the E14 candle bulb so no problem using it at full power in a max 20W socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

djivide_ wrote: »
    Thats about power usage not brightness, ie a 40w equivalent hue bulb only uses around 6W looking at the E14 candle bulb so no problem using it at full power in a max 20W socket.

In this particular case I think it's about the lampshade (silk). But now that my brain is starting to function, it's probably about the heat emitted, and LEDs wouldn't be emitting the same kind of heat.

Have regular white hue bulb in hallway but hue app can't find it. No serial number on it. However had it set up in previous house but app can't find it

Any suggestions

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9LLkJTizF2KoWypF9

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

Have regular white hue bulb in hallway but hue app can't find it. No serial number on it. However had it set up in previous house but app can't find it

Any suggestions

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9LLkJTizF2KoWypF9

That looks like a signify bulb, not a hue bulb.
    Try turning it on and off three times pretty fast, it should then blink, then try your scan on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

Picked up three colour IKEA TRADFRI E14 bulbs today for some lamps and am very impressed with them. Paired easily with the 6 on/off cycles and they do a very good job of replicating the hue colours. The blue is a bit purple but otherwise much better than anticipated. €22 which is great value seeing as the white ambiance (also IKEA) are €20.

lardarse wrote: »
    Try turning it on and off three times pretty fast, it should then blink, then try your scan on the phone.

Has Philips name on it. Tried turning it off and on pretty fast and didn't blink

Still can't find it on the hue app any other suggestions

Has Philips name on it. Tried turning it off and on pretty fast and didn't blink

Still can't find it on the hue app any other suggestions

That's not hue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

lardarse wrote: »

Signify is Philips lighting, they have spun off the lighting division although its still using the Philips brand.

That's not hue

Think you are right had it stored with Hue bulbs so assumed it was but seemingly not Doh!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

For the last two weeks our so any light that is on at around sunset changes colour/brightness of its own accord. Any ideas how to fix it? Or why it started all of a sudden?

Advertisement