Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Laviski

cheers for the info on Chademo, just food for thought in the consideration process.

Also main reason for L40 as want to to be able to do long (ish) journeys from time to time, ie galway to shannon/Limerick or dublin etc. They'd be rare and would like to get there with relative comfort or with clear places to stop for a top up. in looking at the planning it should be just the one stop to top up. Yes paying a lot for those once off's, its convenience as well.

At the moment don't have driveway but that is soon to change in coming weeks as moving shortly, regardless work has charging bays so looking to to avail of that often, so that is a plus. Will look at deciding to install house kit at a later time, at worst will use a granny cable in the interim when moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,165 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Question for Leaf owners.

How do you find the car in snowy roads?

Same, better or worse than previous cars you've had?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

NIMAN wrote: »
    Question for Leaf owners.

How do you find the car in snowy roads?

Same, better or worse than previous cars you've had?

No difference. I took my L30 for several trips in the eye of the massive snow storm in 2018 intentionally as it was like being home during any winter which I missed.. I even went for a “drifting” spin with the ESP off to the local Lidl car park :D

So nothing wrong with the car winter time apart from the range :D

A colleague got a 151 SV Leaf delivered this morning. The insurance quotes he’s been given are crazy: €1200 with Aviva, Allianz - €790. That with 6 years NCB. I got 2 EVs insured for circa €800 with Aviva... that is some bollix work from the insurers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

peposhi wrote: »
    A colleague got a 151 SV Leaf delivered this morning. The insurance quotes he’s been given are crazy: €1200 with Aviva, Allianz - €790. That with 6 years NCB. I got 2 EVs insured for circa €800 with Aviva... that is some bollix work from the insurers...

Electric car other than Tesla’s are normally cheaper than an ice due to the safety features as norm etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

That has to be more to do with your colleagues risk assessment than the fact that its a Leaf.

My premiums for the last 4 years have all been in or around €350 with full bonus protection, full comp and a named driver.

Good to hear he's received it. Wish him happy motoring.

As for the insurance, as others have said, it may be him rather than the car, but for the record my Leaf premium was 348 with Allianz

He might just have to do more ringing around

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Just renewed my policy with Aviva on a Leaf, mid-30s male, fully comp with some of the extras, €390. Cheapest ever insurance for me!

with respect to the different versions on offer.
    standard spec seems decent enough for leaf40kw, premium spec isn't really all that great however the SVE is tempting but since don't do long journeys not really sure if i would appreciate the bells an whistles. Also if thinking SVE price have a voice saying to go with the ionic.

took a test drive today and pretty happy with just battling within ones self in making a decision in looking at the options. anyone with recent purchases battled in the same way?

Laviski wrote: »
    with respect to the different versions on offer.
    standard spec seems decent enough for leaf40kw, premium spec isn't really all that great however the SVE is tempting but since don't do long journeys not really sure if i would appreciate the bells an whistles. Also if thinking SVE price have a voice saying to go with the ionic.

What are the on the road prices you've got for the Leaf and the Ioniq?

Your mileage is tiny at 5k km/yr so I dont think it matters which one you buy really... its more down to which one gives you the best value in terms of price and comfort (which is very subjective).

• Advertisement

27910 for SV Leaf base model( 5k grant + 3k scrappage) to go for higher SVE spec would be 31820
    32500 for Ionic (5k Grant + 4k scappage)

i've worked out my old car is costing me about 350 per month with petrol,tax,insurance and the repairs over the past 2 years. So its been a benchmark/excuse to buy new and not to buy second hand (or as i call it someone else's problem they want to get rid of)

27910 for SV Leaf base model( 5k grant + 3k scrappage) to go for higher SVE spec would be 31820
    32500 for Ionic (5k Grant + 4k scappage)

Which one did you prefer to drive and sit in... Leaf or Ioniq?
    i've worked out my old car is costing me about 350 per month with petrol,tax,insurance and the repairs over the past 2 years.

Considering the mileage you are doing thats quite alot.

Your fuel bill wont go down by much. Tax will be €120. Insurance wont change much but obviously repairs will go to zero as you'll have warranty.

Be realistic as to how much you're going to save here. If you just want a new car anyway then all good, go for the one that you like most. Both will do your job fine.

yeah it drank petrol and burnt oil.

i already have a 90euro a month saving in tax/insurance between the old and if buy new (leaf quotes been signifcally cheaper). buying new i will have warranty for at least 3 years (battery having 8) so no more unexpected large repair bills. Charging will be done at work for free, so limited charging at weekend with some fast charging if venturing out further afield. So i should be saving at least 200 a month unless i'm lying to myself.

Driven both and l like the leaf but do like the interior and bigger space of the ionic. In honesty i'm leaning heavily to the leaf if buying new, just arguing within myself is base model enough or should get the SVE spec and are those extras perks worth it myself (ADC etc) or is of benefit if selling later down the road....

buying new i will have warranty for at least 3 years (battery having 8) so no more unexpected large repair bills.

I thought the last Leaf had 5 year all round warranty with 8 on the battery. Is the new Leaf only 3 years?

What warranty is on the Ioniq?
    Driven both and l like the leaf but do like the interior and bigger space of the ionic. In honesty i'm leaning heavily to the leaf if buying new, just arguing within myself is base model enough or should get the SVE spec and are those extras perks worth it myself (ADC etc) or is of benefit if selling later down the road....

Maybe, is the answer to that last bit. It will make it easier to sell but you wont get that extra €4k back.

The SVE toys are nice but ask yourself how much you will actually get to use them with the mileage you are doing. If you think you will use them regularly then maybe its worth it to you. €4k is alot for some toys, I usually go for them too!

that is the argument i have myself, for the short journeys in city i do, probably won't enjoy it as regular where as those that would have a longer commute. Think that just answed it.

will follow up on warranty but pretty sure i heard 3year when took for test drive. will let you know.

Good to hear he's received it. Wish him happy motoring.

As for the insurance, as others have said, it may be him rather than the car, but for the record my Leaf premium was 348 with Allianz

He might just have to do more ringing around

He’s quite satisfied. Range anxiety kicked and he’s still battling with it (weren’t we all the same haha haha....

Ah... some fun fact - the dealer sold him a 6.6kw Leaf for a 3.3kw one lol Probably they had no clue about it

will follow up on warranty but pretty sure i heard 3year when took for test drive. will let you know.

From the Leaf brochure...
    5-YEAR/100,000 KM WARRANTY ON ALL EV DEDICATED COMPONENTS AND
    3-YEAR/100,000 KM FOR STANDARD COMPONENTS
    12-YEAR ANTI-CORROSION WARRANTY 30,000 KM SERVICE INTERVAL
    NISSAN LEAF LITHIUM-ION BATTERY WARRANTY ALSO PROTECTS AGAINST CAPACITY LOSS BELOW 75% FOR A PERIOD OF 8-YEARS/160,000 KM.

So, you're right... its 3yrs for everything, 5 for EV components and 8 for the battery.

He’s quite satisfied. Range anxiety kicked and he’s still battling with it (weren’t we all the same haha haha....

Ah... some fun fact - the dealer sold him a 6.6kw Leaf for a 3.3kw one lol Probably they had no clue about it

A wee bonus.

The dealer is a main Nissan one, shows you how little some car dealers know about EVs.

A wee bonus.

The dealer is a main Nissan one, shows you how little some car dealers know about EVs.

Wow, that’s a bad form of knowledge... coming from a main dealer...

I’ve been guiding the lad all along with regards to his purchase as this was his first EV and he was super nervous (still is) and so many little things he had Qs on needed someone to answer. And one of the last things when he got the car he sent me a pic of the charging time left to full... my eyes lightened up as I was sorry he did not wait and search for a car with 6.6kw - it’s a super handy feature for the old Ls and he got that as a wee bonus as you said
    Happy days!

TheTorment wrote: »
    Service done today for 149

Should I have gotten a state of battery health?

According to the printout nothing needs doing....but the printout didn't look like it was Leaf specific. Things like engine oil level, timing belt, alternator belt etc. all ticked as if checked.

Is this the norm??

Can someone advise on this please?

Should I have had a SOH of battery? To my eyes it seems that I paid 149 for a half arséd interior cleaning and car wash as the printout just seems generic.
    No mention of software updates either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

TheTorment wrote: »
    Can someone advise on this please?

Should I have had a SOH of battery? To my eyes it seems that I paid 149 for a half arséd interior cleaning and car wash as the printout just seems generic.
    No mention of software updates either.

They don't quite give a SOH of battery, the report basically says battery within specs or not. The SOH on leafspy is much more information. By the way Airside Nissan did mine for 129eur and its unfortunately a yearly requirement to keep the battery warranty of 8 years / 160k kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Anyone in louth area with a nissan leaf type one home charger for sale or lend as picked up 2017 leaf with no charging cables? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭creedp

I've just failed nct on misaligned headlight. Guy said passenger side high. I checked light after and bulb seemed slightly out of place so I inserted it in properly but the found it difficult to close the little retaining clip. Is this a common issue with 2016 Leaf SV (Acenta)?

After I checked lights against garage door (should have checked before adjusting for reference!). Does anyone think these lights are misaligned?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Passenger side obviously high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

creedp wrote: »
    I've just failed nct on misaligned headlight. Guy said passenger side high. I checked light after and bulb seemed slightly out of place so I inserted it in properly but the found it difficult to close the little retaining clip. Is this a common issue with 2016 Leaf SV (Acenta)?

After I checked lights against garage door (should have checked before adjusting for reference!). Does anyone think these lights are misaligned?

Probably doesn't help you much but I had to replace the passenger side bulb over the weekend in my 151L24 and I found it awkward to get the clips back in place. Finally got it, but it put up a fight. Your post reminds me that I need to check tonight to make sure the lights are level now...

jasonb wrote: »
    Probably doesn't help you much but I had to replace the passenger side bulb over the weekend in my 151L24 and I found it awkward to get the clips back in place. Finally got it, but it put up a fight. Your post reminds me that I need to check tonight to make sure the lights are level now...

Interested to hear how you get on.

When I replaced the original bulbs with nightbreakers I didn't notice any major issue with the retaining clips so I don't know why the passenger side one was so fiddly this time around. As per photos my passenger side is still high so I'm probably going to have to take it to some to realign before I go back for the retest.

As per photos my passenger side is still high so I'm probably going to have to take it to some to realign before I go back for the retest.

That pattern in your second pic might be OK. The drivers side is low and flat and then it curves up on the passenger side, which is normal.

The passenger side is higher as thats shining on the ditch not into oncoming traffic, so it might be OK.

Ultimately you wont know if it will pass NCT unless you get it independently checked but it looks OK to me, but I'm not a light alignment expert!

KCross wrote: »
    That pattern in your second pic might be OK. The drivers side is low and flat and then it curves up on the passenger side, which is normal.

The passenger side is higher as thats shining on the ditch not into oncoming traffic, so it might be OK.

Ultimately you wont know if it will pass NCT unless you get it independently checked but it looks OK to me, but I'm not a light alignment expert!

Thanks KCross. I'm kicking myself that I didn't take a pic of light pattern before I adjusted passenger bulb as nothing to reference adjusted setting against. As you say no point going back for retest until checked out.

Thanks KCross. I'm kicking myself that I didn't take a pic of light pattern before I adjusted passenger bulb as nothing to reference adjusted setting against. As you say no point going back for retest until checked out.

If I get time I'll take a pic of mine and post it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

Hi, Can anyone tell me if the data here is good, bad or indifferent. I'm using Leafspy Lite and am also wondering if I can tell if I have the updated software before I send the car in for a service. Thanks.

Advertisement