Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

If we have no progress on this by say August is a referendum needed to be put to the people to ask should we go back to normal or continue lockdown as is?

It would be interesting how they would hold a referendum with social distancing rules and advice not to congregate.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

Yeah I can’t return to work until I get them . Pain in the hole

I know of two people waiting one is waiting 14 days and the other 16 days not ideal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

harr wrote: »
    As a stay home dad to a near teenager with special needs ..I am definitely feeling the pressure now. My wife works in a job which is deemed necessary and is flat with work sometimes gone 12 hours ... our lads immune system is very bad so he has to stay in now... I was bringing him out for a quick walk before the full lockdown but have stopped now.
    I get out for a quick walk at 10pm for half an hour other than that I am inside .. I do the weeks shopping in Tesco as they have a dedicated time slot for carers, that’s the highlight of my week. No delivery slots available anywhere.
    That’s why when I hear of people not adhering to guidelines it makes me angry because I know that the more people who flaunt the rules the longer I will be inside..
    My son doesn’t understand why no school ,walks , McDonald’s or trips to the cinema and his meltdowns have increased as the days go by..
    I can feel my mental health starting to suffer and I would have always been a fairly positive lad and just get on with things. The pressure at times is suffocating ..
    feel for ya. we have 2 special needs adults in extended family. Been on phone to one alot explaining stuff. like not everone who coughs once will get sick and die and the concept of no end date set in stone yet. The other ones in a care home in a badly hit country.Trying not even to think about that,knowing we might get a call.
    There is a covid and mental health thread at
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058062109/11/#post113074561
    Depending on your teenagers needs have you joined any specific groups online so your in touch with other parents with similiar stresses.
    try not to focus energy on that type of selfish people. Keep it for coming up with creative things to do at home or in your backgarden. .and getting even 5 mins extra at time for yourself
    best wishes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Im hearing from a source that even more stricter and draconian lockdown coming later this week.

2km zone for walking etc will be withdrawn for starters.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/coronavirus-ireland-simon-harris-to-sign-new-powers-for-gardai-tonight-39111852.html

Cough cough

lawred2 wrote: »
    Arrested?

Don't be so hysterical.

You didn't even read the post I was responding to did you?
    Why just post without thinking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

So where exactly is this law? I can't find it.

What is essential travel? To go food shopping.... pharmacy.... laundry? Where is this wrote down in our statute book?

How is the 2km measured? As the crow flys a 2km circle boundary from my house?

I'm shocked they've made this legally enforceable.

No cycling for you tomorrow 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Are the HSE still testing if you have two or more symptoms?

Are they actually happy that there's asymptomatic people out there spreading it?

I don't understand.

The only way to stop asymptomatic spreaders is an effective lockdown. Still seems like there's a lot of non essential companies and workplaces open out there. The more you delay implementing a proper lockdown, the longer that lockdown will be unfortunately. Had we implemented a strict lockdown in early March we'd be over the peak now and could have started a slow reopening for easter. Instead we are probably stuck with a lockdown for another month because the testing numbers are so inconsistent and unreliable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

JRant wrote: »
    They still fall under HIQA's umbrella regardless.

HIQA don't have any PPE. What do you expect them to do?

You seem to be lacking any detailed knowledge of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Panrich wrote: »
    I was part of a queue for the local supermarket today and some scrote just appeared around the corner and walked straight in the door bypassing the queue of about 15 people. It's the likes of that cnut that makes these new powers necessary. I don't like them but I can understand why they're being brought in.

No employee on the door checking people coming in? my local Supervalu has someone at the front entrance all the time making sure only one person comes in at a time, that people leave via the other door, that people queue up properly and that no kids are coming in-all as per the notice they have up.

That and their emphasis on social distancing rules, sink and hand sanitisers on entrance mean I prefer to shop there now rather than any of the other supermarkets in my area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Genuinely looking forward to the comedy that will be Gemma O’Doherty’s reaction to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Trump giving out about the WHO - putting a hold on all funds to them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

growleaves wrote: »
    How is that hysterical? The guards have powers of arrest. The penalties for a conviction are a €2,500 fine and up to six months in prison.

That's literally what we're discussing.

It's a last resort really, they'll ask someone first and if the person is being unreasonable or non compliant they'll be requested to return home either under public order or road traffic legislation. That fails then yeah you could be arrested and charged if the DPP sees fit

• Registered Users Posts: 35,764 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No other country comes out to update people and then ramble on about oil, and ammo, and banks, and stock market, and golf,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Trump not happy with the WHO. Withdrawing funding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Why would they enforce greater measures when we are largely seeing a flat number of new cases....maybe they could do it for 3/4 days.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/coronavirus-ireland-simon-harris-to-sign-new-powers-for-gardai-tonight-39111852.html

Cough cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Witcher wrote: »
    That is f'ing moronic.

If there's no progress by August that's well over 100 days of controls not solving the problem, time to face the music, better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Spain 5,267 cases 704 deaths.

Yesterday 5,029 cases 700 deaths.

RIP.

The come down is slow, but it's happening in Italy and Spain are a week behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

lawred2 wrote: »
    This is Ireland. You'd want to acting so egregiously out of order to be arrested.

They are not going to be arresting anyone for walking 2.5km from their home. That's hysterical nonsense.

Having a house party though... Proper order. Taking the family to the holiday home... Proper order.

Yeah if someone has a house party now or a gathering of any sort, like the examples that have been posted here before in housing estates now they can enter the house to break it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,899 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If we have no progress on this by say August is a referendum needed to be put to the people to ask should we go back to normal or continue lockdown as is?

Unless it’s some sort of e-referendum...

Because the potential for 4 million people plus, Qing up next to each other indoors over 14 hours might cause more issues than it would be attempting to solve. Ditto with counting, admin etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Where are the greater restrictions mentioned? It's an article about the gardai having additional powers to enforce existing restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Amirani wrote: »
    Pretty much all the nursing homes are privately owned and run, and source (or don't source) their own equipment and PPE. They're nothing got to do with the HSE.

There's been a lack of PPE in Ireland and globally. Many nursing home staff don't even know how to use PPE, Infectious Diseases isn't their area...

I said Harris, not the HSE. HIQA are responsible for monitoring all nursing homes and this falls under his remit.

https://www.hiqa.ie/areas-we-work/older-peoples-services

It's just not good enough no matter what way you look at it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

I just cannot believe the gall of Paul Cullen.

In this article he says 'NPHET officials criticised new US research published on Tuesday which suggested Ireland had reached its peak, as unreliable.'

Published BY HIM!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-minister-to-sign-regulations-giving-garda%C3%AD-powers-to-enforce-lockdown-1.4223043

• Registered Users Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

If there's no progress by August that's well over 100 days of controls not solving the problem, time to face the music, better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Stop talking sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,899 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

fritzelly wrote: »
    Trump giving out about the WHO - putting a hold on all funds to them

He’s just, it’s stopped being a joke now.... this guy is actually crazy, like not good crazy. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Strumms wrote: »
    He’s just, it’s stopped being a joke now.... this guy is actually crazy, like not good crazy. :confused:

Agree with him about the WHO (China centric among many things)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Inflators

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

JRant wrote: »
    I said Harris, not the HSE. HIQA are responsible for monitoring all nursing homes and this falls under his remit.

https://www.hiqa.ie/areas-we-work/older-peoples-services

It's just not good enough no matter what way you look at it.

I used to work for HIQA, I know exactly what they do. It doesn't extend to sourcing or providing PPE to private nursing homes...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

That ernest hemmingway comment :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Christy42

fritzelly wrote: »
    Agree with him about the WHO (China centric among many things)

That can't be his issue with the WHO. He was complimenting China's ha dling of this in late March. So he is very much in favour of China here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement