Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I think there's going to be a looming mental health crisis off the back of all this. I don't suffer from anything personally but even I am starting to feel that black dog. Vulnerable people must really be feeling it now. It's bleak.

Unfortunately, my Dad, who has Aspergers and Bipolar I, has been swallowed up by this. He stopped taking hit medication to ration them out of fear of their being a shortage or that they would run out. I only found this out the other day when I got a call to tell me that he had made his way through the house he's living, taking every door off its hinges, including wardrobe, presses, etc He's manic, confused amongst other things. He had pages of newspapers on the walls of his bedroom. All filled with nonsense. I can guarantee that there a many just like him in our area, let alone the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,336 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

peasant wrote: »
    This is a crisis, no doubt. But it is also a massive opportunity to re-think what is really important in life and to redirect a few signposts on the road forward.

I've been putting serious thought into purchasing a portrait of my cat as a Napoleonic general.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,899 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The WHO have not covered themselves in glory in all of this. They issued a number of confusing and in some cases idiotic directives which helped spread this around the world.

Truth, but I’d rather be working ‘with’ them than cutting them off at the knees, especially in a time like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Trump now saying how the postal system should be run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭con747

UrbanFret wrote: »
    That was 6 hours ago.

If it was already posted just say so:D

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

What he say?

When Trump stopped flights from China around the 27th January Biden / Democrats called it xenophobia but now Biden agrees it was the right decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Unfortunately, my Dad, who has Aspergers and Bipolar I, has been swallowed up by this. He stopped taking hit medication to ration them out of fear of their being a shortage or that they would run out. I only found this out the other day when I got a call to tell me that he had made his way through the house he's living, taking every door off its hinges, including wardrobe, presses, etc He's manic, confused amongst other things. He had pages of newspapers on the walls of his bedroom. All filled with nonsense. I can guarantee that there a many just like him in our area, let alone the country.

That is utterly heartbreaking.

Does he have anyone to help him?

This virus will take its toll on people in so so many ways :(

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

fritzelly wrote: »
    They are a privately funded (by countries) organisation
    There is no oversight on them

They have screwed up on this from the start, praising China, believing everything they said, not doing any investigative work on their own (H2H doesn't exist for coronavirus), waiting til every country in the world was infected before declaring a pandemic (how are those pandemic funds looking). Tedros seemed more concerned with protecting Africa while saying they are the most prepared for it.
    The list goes on...

Money talks for them
    Please name one international body of which that is not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

You are being deliberately disingenuous or you are uninformed, one or the other.This is the HSE wording on lab testing from 24 March "To date, 17,992 tests have been carried out in laboratories across the country, as of midnight last night.". To deduct the number of cases per week all one has to do is subtract that number from the following weeks number.

Again you are totally wrong HSE wording is "tests have been carried out in laboratories across the country, as of midnight last night.".These are the figures published weekly not swabbed.

My figures are correct you are making assumptions that are incorrect about what the HSE publish. They do not publish swab numbers they publish lab numbers.As I said they seem to have had lab results for about approx 896 per day average last week.

I genuinely think you are incorrect.

I have followed it daily from the early stages.The phrase most often used in press briefings is tests carried out.
    If the phrase that is used in your quote above were correct i.e. laboratories in the country then the German lab results could not be included in the figures yet both the head of the HSE on Sunday and the CMO on Monday both said that the results from the German labs were included in the figures.
    The rise in new cases from Friday would indicate that this is the case especially as the total number of positive cases from Germany was 469 or approx 117 per day.
    The CMO also stated that the German lab results showed a 7.6% positive rate.This low percentage rate indicates that these tests were mainly from batches prior to 2 symptoms being required for testing as this rate is quite similar to the early testing.
    In addition it was stated this evening that the overall case rate on the weekly increase in tests was in the region of 19.6%.If what you state is correct and the German figures of 6000 tests were stripped out from todays weekly figures it would leave the Irish test results showing approx 1850 positives from just over 6000 tests or 30% which is a rate not seen anywhere in the world.The only way the figures make sense to me is as I have outlined or have you an explanation that I might somehow have missed?

Unlike many on here I will be the first to apologise if I am incorrect.However it is the only way I can see for the figures to make sense.

I am not in any way being disingenuous.It is entirely possibility that one or both of us had been misled by the ambiguous way in which the data is presented and the differences between the written and the spoken word.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,428 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

You should never ever go to your GP or A&E if potentially suffering from covid19. This is the wrong advice. You risk infecting everyone there.

That was his advice

So what do, stay at home and die

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,764 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Trump

''The Flu is nothing to sneeze at ''

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Lololol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

bekker wrote: »
    In fairness they've always had that tendency, all that the Health Minister has done, albeit belatedly in my opinion, is to give effect to powers granted by the Oireachtas.

The danger signal will be if a FF/FG dominated coalition government ^seeks to ^ renew the powers beyond November '20 without overwhelming medical evidence supporting such an extension.

The Emergency Powers Act (1939) was introduced at beginning of WWII and the State of Emergency invoked Twas not rescinded till the late '70s. Under the Constitution a State of Emergency once declared remains in existence until officially rescinded by the Dáil.

Although not technically revoked, the powers granted by the emergency powers act were not used after the war, and certainly were not being used at the time it was revoked. The fact it was still in place was down to legal tardiness.

A state of emergency in the constitutional sense can only be invoked during a time of armed rebellion, inside or outside the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Monumental

easypazz wrote: »
    Definately need to quarantine all arrivals now for 14 days.

At least if people leave Dublin and spread out in holiday homes it will reduce risk of spread in the Dublin hotspot.

And you are ok with these Dubs leaving Dublin, ignoring government requests to stay at home and potentially infecting a small rural area with limited medical support . We live 6km from a fab beach which we would have visited almost every day for a walk, we haven't been in almost a month ,just trying to keep the spread of the virus down and following governments requests Stay at home !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Trump quotes 2020 -> "flu is not to be sneezed at"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

This should be on Comedy Central.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Trump

''The Flu is nothing to sneeze at ''

They call it the herd.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Do we really need a blow by blow of what Trump is saying on a thread about Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

WHO is on first, WHAT is on second!

Who's on 3rd?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Witcher wrote: »
    Do we really need a blow by blow of what Trump is saying on a thread about Ireland?

There's a lot of things we don't need in this thread. Feel free to leave if the current topic doesn't interest you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    That was his advice

So what do, stay at home and die

You ring your GP or hospital telling them you think you might have cv19. They organise an ambulance for you with the proper controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

kowloon wrote: »
    I've been putting serious thought into purchasing a portrait of my cat as a Napoleonic general.

I'm constantly fighting the urge to look sideways, whilst facially expressing resignation, at a camera that's not there, a la The Pink Panther (cartoon variety)

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Genuinely looking forward to the comedy that will be Gemma O’Doherty’s reaction to this.
    Getting herself arrested, and taking a constitutional challenge action, crowd funded by the deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Cody montana

statesaver wrote: »
    When Trump stopped flights from China around the 27th January Biden / Democrats called it xenophobia but now Biden agrees it was the right decision.

This is what Biden said.

“need to have a president who they can trust what he says about it, that he is going to act rationally about it.” He added, “This is no time for Donald Trump’s record of hysteria and xenophobia – hysterical xenophobia – and fearmongering to lead the way instead of science.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

"29 million doses"

Trump must not be far off that number in how many times he's mentioned it

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm not completely comfortable with the new enforcement but I'm sorry if everyone(and to be fair the vast majority have) had bloody adhered to what we were asked to do a few weeks ago then this wouldn't have been necessary but shockingly some people believe they know better and will think of themselves and feck the rest. Hopefully the Gardai never have to actually use the powers they now have but given how people seem hell bent on going to places this weekend even after having been told not to for theirs and everyone's else's heatlh and wellbeing then my sympathy drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Witcher wrote: »

This isn't a thread about ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Logan Roy wrote: »
    There's a lot of things we don't need in this thread. Feel free to leave if the current topic doesn't interest you.

Sorry I didn't realise you were in control of the thread..get a life:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

fritzelly wrote: »
    Trump giving out about the WHO - putting a hold on all funds to them

Followed by “I didn’t say that” when questioned about it. ****ing laughable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement