Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Can only speak for my own area when I say I've not seen any of that. People are out for shopping etc and they're walk, haven't seen house visits or anything like that.

Firstly those over 70 shouldn't be out, so were the grandparents over 70 ? If they aren't then theres nothing wrong with standing outside someones house once your observing the social distancing

Social visits aren't encouraged in any form though as per latest guidelines, people are only supposed to leave their house for - emergencies, shopping for essentials, exercise, and caring for people who are cocooned/need assistance.

Calling round for a chat is not one of these things...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Some levity...

A Coronavirus Karaoke session to hopefully lift the spirits. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Social visits aren't encouraged in any form though as per latest guidelines, people are only supposed to leave their house for - emergencies, shopping for essentials, exercise, and caring for people who are cocooned/need assistance.

Yes I understand that, my point is for example if they live local and are walking within the 2k then they can stop outside. Theres nothing to stop someone who's out walking being at the other end of someones garden

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

JRant wrote: »
    I'm not saying it was definitely here as we have no real idea when it arrived into the country. I remember reading that Australia had a first wave that passed without a huge problem but when it reappeared a few weeks later it seemed to much more aggressive. Could be all mumbo jumbo for all I know but it's fascinating how it seems to hit certain areas harder than others. Just goes to show how little we know about this virus to date.

When the dust settles there will be a new playbook on how not to deal with a pandemic, which can only be a good though.

On the first point regarding Australia, they believe the cruise ship that docked in Sydney did a lot of damage. Looking at bringing charges against the owners of the Ruby Princess after they disembarked passengers in Sydney. Over 600 cases came from the ship and 10 deaths.

There was an article somewhere which suggested they traced the infection to Europe and it was slightly different to the strain previously found. I cant find the article now so I may have totally misread it.

As regards the playbook, the nature of different viruses means there probably can never be a playbook but we sure as hell will be a lot quicker at shutting borders etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

owlbethere wrote: »
    That was Boris Johnson's herd immunity approach on this ☹️.

I think Leo and FG were going to take a similar path to the UK of herd immunity because there was no action whatsoever from our government until about the 9th or 10th of March. Thankfully we got somewhat lucky and our government began to listen to the professionals speaking out about this and began to implement measures to slow this down.

To be fair to them, the govs terrible early response was most likely due to ignorance rather than laissez faire cold heartededness.

As soon as they had that come to Jesus moment, they have put public health first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

duffman13 wrote: »
    You think? ::pac: I havent seen anything to suggest we were ever considering the above.

Seriously, there is one man leading the way on our response and its the CMO. He has come across exceptionally well and done a very good job. Granted there have been some mistakes (like every country in the world) specifically the nursing homes but the response has been good overall. It has been a measured response as much as it could be and fair play to him.

They were slow to order the cancelling of the parades. I think it was around about the 9th or 10th of March when they ordered the cancelling of any parades. Many of us here saw what was going on around Europe and the parades and should have been cancelled before that IMO. They were definitely putting economic activity ahead of the health and wellbeing being of the nation. I do think they were going to go down the road of herd immunity. The CMO has been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

The WHO is to blame!!!!

Seems like President Trump and his willing media allies Fox/Sky News around the world are holding the WHO up as the scapegoat for America's misery, at least in as much as it pertains to this virus.

Several news reports and opinion peaces that show how the president is keen to deflect attention away from his own pathetic shortcomings and blame "the foreigners" for America's misfortune.

RTE is reporting that Trump wants to cut US funding for WHO because of the virus, and Fox News in Austalia has already waded in with an opinion piece in support of the Trumpian line.
    Elsewhere, Fox opinion spouters like Judge Jeannine Pirro are describing Trump as a "War leader" and absolutely the best man to have in the front line at this time.

There's no doubt that lines are being spun for our consumption by those sections of the media who are in Trump's pocket.

If you've never heard of the World Health Organisation (WHO) before now, you're going to hear a lot about them soon.

It's all their fault, you know :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-china-52210273/coronavirus-please-learn-from-wuhan-s-mistakes

At this link there is a short video from some people in Wuhan, which has just lifted lockdown after 76 days. Sweet people. Basically they are saying learn from them, make the sacrifice to stop an infectious disease

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Was this posted earlier. Interesting article on El Pais and plan to do some random testing to gauge level of infiltration of the virus in to the community.

They reckon 40% of people in Madrid could already have been infected so well on the way to herd immunity already. Again means the fatality rate would be a lot lower and we possibly further on thru this than initially thought.

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-04-08/spain-to-test-30000-families-for-the-coronavirus.html

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

I know Northern Ireland's small but they're doing the best of the UK countries per capita wise.

2.84% of the UK population but only 1.1% of the UK deaths.
    Yeah I noticed that. I remember initially when the schools and colleges closed in the Republic and they were still open in the North, parents and even some of the schools themselves were taking matters into their own hands and not making the kids go in. I'm not sure if this was the case in the rest of the UK?

Also on Paddy's Day if you went into the North it was very quiet, whereas my sister showed me videos of Concert Square in Liverpool for example and it was absolutely wedged.

Maybe there was just a different attitude in NI because the rest of the island was essentially shut down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

jackboy wrote: »
    Why didn’t you call the guards on the grannies?

Wrong thread :rolleyes:
    Can only speak for my own area when I say I've not seen any of that. People are out for shopping etc and they're walk, haven't seen house visits or anything like that.

Firstly those over 70 shouldn't be out, so were the grandparents over 70 ? If they aren't then theres nothing wrong with standing outside someones house once your observing the social distancing

While I didn't obviously ask for ID they did both appear to be over 70. And no they shouldn't be there, even observing social distancing or not, no matter what age they are. The rules are clear - no social gatherings of any size. Delivering Easter eggs for the kiddies is not sufficient reason, but I fully expect a lot of people to think they are the exception over Easter now and a full blown crisis of our own making in two weeks.

duffman13 wrote: »
    You think? ::pac: I havent seen anything to suggest we were ever considering the above.

Seriously, there is one man leading the way on our response and its the CMO. He has come across exceptionally well and done a very good job. Granted there have been some mistakes (like every country in the world) specifically the nursing homes but the response has been good overall. It has been a measured response as much as it could be and fair play to him.

Holohan was asleep at the wheel. His advice on everything from general public risk , to travel, to sporting events, to Paddy's day, to nursing homes was just completely and utterly wrong. There were many here in the early days who seemingly knew far more about this than him and his cronies.

Granted it was similar in many, many countries - but that's not really a good excuse. He didn't do his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

While I didn't obviously ask for ID they did both appear to be over 70. And no they shouldn't be there, even observing social distancing or not, no matter what age they are. The rules are clear - no social gatherings of any size. Delivering Easter eggs for the kiddies is not sufficient reason, but I fully expect a lot of people to think they are the exception over Easter now and a full blown crisis of our own making in two weeks.

I agree its a fudging of rules but what the hell can go wrong if a granny leaves a bag of easter eggs at their grandchild doors and says something to the window of a house?

Seriously, how can this result in a full blown crisis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

gabeeg wrote: »
    Holohan was asleep at the wheel. His advice on everything from general public risk , to travel, to sporting events, to Paddy's day, to nursing homes was just completely and utterly wrong. There were many here in the early days who seemingly knew far more about this than him and his cronies.

Granted it was similar in many, many countries - but that's not really a good excuse. He didn't do his job.

Harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

None of the armchair scientists/medical people here knew anything before anyone else, only guessing.

Some decisions were bad, some good, hindsight is great when you are saying people made the wrong decisions.

It's a novel corona virus, no one knew.

To be fair to them, the govs terrible early response was most likely due to ignorance rather than laissez faire cold heartededness.

As soon as they had that come to Jesus moment, they have put public health first.

Cummings has been widely quoted as saying that if a proportion of old people need to die than so be it.

It was only when the imperial college study came out that said a quarter of a million could die if they held the policy that the policy was changed.

Cummings has been widely quoted as saying that if a proportion of old people need to die than so be it.

It was only when the imperial college study came out that said a quarter of a million could die if they held the policy that the policy was changed.

Sorry I wasn't clearer. I was talking about our own gov.

Cummings is a little freak. He shouldn't be anywhere near power.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The WHO is to blame!!!!

Seems like President Trump and his willing media allies Fox/Sky News around the world are holding the WHO up as the scapegoat for America's misery, at least in as much as it pertains to this virus.

Several news reports and opinion peaces that show how the president is keen to deflect attention away from his own pathetic shortcomings and blame "the foreigners" for America's misfortune.

RTE is reporting that Trump wants to cut US funding for WHO because of the virus, and Fox News in Austalia has already waded in with an opinion piece in support of the Trumpian line.
    Elsewhere, Fox opinion spouters like Judge Jeannine Pirro are describing Trump as a "War leader" and absolutely the best man to have in the front line at this time.

There's no doubt that lines are being spun for our consumption by those sections of the media who are in Trump's pocket.

If you've never heard of the World Health Organisation (WHO) before now, you're going to hear a lot about them soon.

It's all their fault, you know :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You can expect at least one outrageous statement from the Orange Fool at each of his nightly comedy gigs.

All designed to deflect attention away from his own disastrous response to the pandemic.

He appears to be rowing back on his threat to the WHO now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The WHO is to blame!!!!

Who are you, It's hard, but Who's next, Tommy ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The whole easter thing was covered earlier by the gardai, if your stopped at a checkpoint you'll be turned back simple as.

I've no issue if someone is walking past a house for example , leaves something at the end of a garden and the person in the house comes out to get it after. Theres no social interaction within distance to pick anything up.

We're going to get 2 more weeks of restrictions and it's up to everyone to have enough cop on to observe the current guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

owlbethere wrote: »
    They were slow to order the cancelling of the parades. I think it was around about the 9th or 10th of March when they ordered the cancelling of any parades. Many of us here saw what was going on around Europe and the parades and should have been cancelled before that IMO. They were definitely putting economic activity ahead of the health and wellbeing being of the nation. I do think they were going to go down the road of herd immunity. The CMO has been excellent.

Again, there is nothing anywhere to ever suggest this.

As regards to the parades, it was clear a few days beforehand it would be called off so I cant argue with you there. He had already made announcements on mass gatherings. He was very much scrutinised on the 25th or 26th of February over the Ireland v Italy game by people suggesting it was an over reaction and it should go ahead but with no away fans in the stadium.

There will always be some criticism and the delay in calling Paddys day was frustrating as it was clearly a non runner at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Cummings' uncle died after catching the virus.

petes wrote: »
    None of the armchair scientists/medical people here knew anything before anyone else, only guessing.

Some decisions were bad, some good, hindsight is great when you are saying people made the wrong decisions.

It's a novel corona virus, no one knew.

Ok. Tell me what he handled well in the weeks prior to their collective come to jesus moment.

I've given you a list of incredibly important things that he made a pigs ear of.
    Can you tell me what they got right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Yes I understand that, my point is for example if they live local and are walking within the 2k then they can stop outside. Theres nothing to stop someone who's out walking being at the other end of someones garden

At what point does it become unacceptable though, that's the problem - everyone seems to have their own interpretation of a pretty straightforward statement/request. Because of this we then end up with parks and beaches full of people because they are "social distancing" - in their own view. We have moved on from social distancing, we are now supposed to isolate households, and for the mostpart - stay home. The gardai held off on the additional powers for as long as they could, they now need them because of so many people deciding that the rules aren't there for them - just others.

We just need to do another week or two of just staying away from people we don't live with, it will make a huge difference to restrictions being lifted sooner.

I agree its a fudging of rules but what the hell can go wrong if a granny leaves a bag of easter eggs at their grandchild doors and says something to the window of a house?

Seriously, how can this result in a full blown crisis?

Lol, you actually think people are keeping a necessary distance? While what I saw out is obviously anecdotal - there wasn't much social distancing going on. We were told no unnecessary journeys. Easter egg deliveries are not necessary, yet lots seem to think they are the exception.

We will have a full blown crisis if what I saw is typical across the country. And I don't live anywhere special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

The UK last 24hr death total must be close to a 1000 today ,the biggest now in Europe as England alone was 828 and Scotland, wales and NI have to be added to that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭bb12

saw this link posted elsewhere and had a look...sobering to put faces to the numbers.

covid-19 memorial page
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/674340603300876/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,899 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

100 %. If no need to go, DONT..... key word NEED... NECESSITY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Downing Street referred to this as a highly defamatory fabrication and said it was untrue. So he might have been widely quoted as saying that, but it does not mean that he did.

People read what they want to read sometimes especially when they don't like the person they are reading about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement